Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question for all you guys that run fast 40 yard dashes (4.7 and faster)

okay well first off i bet a bunch of people on this board lie b/c everyone seems to put up nfl speeds but for the guys who really run the 40 yard dash fast here is my question:

were you already pretty fast without any training and just got faster
    or
    were you average, but got pretty fast after doing olympic lifts and other weight training exercises to make you fast.

the reason i ask is b/c right now i am average speed but i am wondering if i have the genetics to be fast if i start training to be fast.

Matt Floyd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dude, I will tell you exactly how I got my 40 time down.

First off, I am 21 now, and I played college soccer my freshman year. My sophomore year in high school I tore my ACL, etc. I also did it again my freshman year of college, which is why I no longer play.

In high school, I kicked for football, played soccer, and ran track. I never ran the 40 before I tore my knee the first time, but when I recovered from surgery and began running, I ran a 4.84. I was depressed as hell. So I began doing plyometric workouts, running wind sprints uphills, doing olympic lifting, and lots and lots of box jumps and jumping rope. Through all of this, by my senior year I was down to a 4.55 40.

Over the summer, I got really serious because I was determined to play D1 soccer, so I worked out even harder, and stuck to nutritious food, and cut out all alcohol, etc. By the beginning of my freshman year, right before our first game, I ran a 4.37, which was the third fastest on the team. Granted this is a stopwatch time, my official laser time was a 4.48, which is still pretty respectable. Anyway, if you do all of those exercises I listed, you will get faster. It doesn't matter how you do them or what order you do them in, make sure you make progress, and change the order/reps around about every 6 weeks or so. Good luck with your training bro.
    6'0, 190 lbs.
    Bench: 315
    Squat:445
    Clean: 305

And those are my honest, no bull**** times, or they were. I probably run 4.5-4.6 now, since I don't train for that anymore and I am about 20 pounds heavier. But I was a division 1 athlete so I assure you that you can take my word on this subject.
    6'0, 190 lbs.

hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    first..i don't know my 40 since i play baseball

but i know i got noticably faster by lifting(compound and o lifts) and by getting better form and flexibility
    Semper Hungry

Suffers from mazophilia RavensFan2k3's Avatar
    RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    is olympic lifting a must in order to get faster? Can you give me some examples of olympic lifts?

Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by hardwork08
    first..i don't know my 40 since i play baseball

but i know i got noticably faster by lifting(compound and o lifts) and by getting better form and flexibility
    i agree, i am by no means super fast but around average speed, however my times have increased significantly and agility as well from doing olympic lifts and technique training.

olympic lifts such as clean pulls, snatch pulls, power cleans and squat jumps are good as well.

Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I run a 4.65 ht (I timed 4.47 a couple weeks back, but unless I run that again a couple times, I am going on the assumption that it was faulty timing, and I think it defenitly was)

Anyway, I was slightly above average (4.8-9ish) and then got into strength training and was much, much faster within about five months. My 100m also went down a full second almost.

Plain squatting did me very well for this initial speed leap.

deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100)
    ahh man i can tell you how to do it

first off i thought i was an average speed but everyone says im fast so i guess i was always fast

ok alot will start saying this is a lie but trust me its not,this is one of my speical training i do ok

i dont want alot of people knowing what i do so im not gonna say how and stuff sorry

* strength dosnt matter when running ok?

* well just run and never stop untill you past it and keep running

* workout hams and quads not for mass for endurence and you will be ok and do what that other guy said about poly its good too and yea i really run a 4.5 i got a video but you cant see me too much lol im do one agian later today maybe if its a good weather

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=672793

Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3
    is olympic lifting a must in order to get faster? Can you give me some examples of olympic lifts?
    Its not a must, but it is in order to yield the best results in the fastest amount of time. Hang Cleans will help tremendously, and so will squats, more in the mid rep range than heavy, because if your legs get too big it limits your range of motion. A good routine like the 5 x 5 will help your speed out a great deal, do some deadlifts and squats on Monday and Friday and do some hang cleans on wednesday for about 8 weeks and you will be very pleased with your results.

However, you cannot do just those and expect to get faster. You need to do plyometric and cardio exercises to take advantage of your newfound explosiveness.
    6'0, 190 lbs.

deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100) deltaforce is not very well liked. (-100)
    no no strengthing traing helps man it will only make you shorter weight training is for endurence i learned that a long time ago

MPM17AB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MPM17AB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MPM17AB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MPM17AB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MPM17AB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MPM17AB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MPM17AB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MPM17AB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MPM17AB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MPM17AB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MPM17AB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by deltaforce
    no no strengthing traing helps man it will only make you shorter weight training is for endurence i learned that a long time ago
    SHUTUP!
    And I run a 4.68 hand-timed 40 which a Coach who actually has experience timing people for their 40's. I was running with his sons and I guess I clocked in at a 4.68 and to be totally honest, I was always pretty quick and fast my whole life.. In the Phillipenes I ran around till my aunt called me in for dinner, everyday and I realized I have fast twitch fibers because I have a High 1 Rep max but I can only rep 75% of my 1RM for only 4-6 which means im Fast Twitch dominant. And after football season I timed my 40 was clocked in at a 5.36 (mess-up) and a week later I re-timed and clocked in at 4.72.. But that was a while ago, now with Olympic Weight-Lifting and Sprinting on off-days I felt like I've become more explosive and faster..

I've been doing PowerCleans, I dunno which is better.. That or Hang Cleans.. But anyways, I can tell they've helped, now I have to incorporate some Plyo's in there and Im BOUND to get faster.. Don't listen to Deltaforce, he just speaks out of his a** and you will not gain any valuable information from the kid..
    Gandolf Swag.

RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by MPM17AB
    SHUTUP!
    And I run a 4.68 hand-timed 40 which a Coach who actually has experience timing people for their 40's. I was running with his sons and I guess I clocked in at a 4.68 and to be totally honest, I was always pretty quick and fast my whole life.. In the Phillipenes I ran around till my aunt called me in for dinner, everyday and I realized I have fast twitch fibers because I have a High 1 Rep max but I can only rep 75% of my 1RM for only 4-6 which means im Fast Twitch dominant. And after football season I timed my 40 was clocked in at a 5.36 (mess-up) and a week later I re-timed and clocked in at 4.72.. But that was a while ago, now with Olympic Weight-Lifting and Sprinting on off-days I felt like I've become more explosive and faster..

I've been doing PowerCleans, I dunno which is better.. That or Hang Cleans.. But anyways, I can tell they've helped, now I have to incorporate some Plyo's in there and Im BOUND to get faster.. Don't listen to Deltaforce, he just speaks out of his a** and you will not gain any valuable information from the kid..
    yes we know he is full of ****. You say that you do alot of olympic lifts. Does anyone know which is better hang cleans or powercleans? Also which would be better for speed, hang/high pulls or deadlifts?

man im telling you they will not help you

you will feel faster for like a day and thats it

and your very slow my friend runs like a 4.8 and hes only 10 lol wanna see him run?

MPM17AB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MPM17AB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MPM17AB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MPM17AB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MPM17AB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MPM17AB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MPM17AB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MPM17AB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MPM17AB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MPM17AB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MPM17AB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    and your very slow my friend runs like a 4.8 and hes only 10 lol wanna see him run?
    Your friend is slow.. my brother who is 9 can run a 4.48 40.. Wanna see HIM run?
    Gandolf Swag.

yea

yea
    too bad
    well.. not until I see a vid of you and your 10 year old friend..
    Gandolf Swag.

hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000) hardwork08 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i ran a 3 minute mile when i was a fetus
    Semper Hungry

watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Any thread that has delta in it is gonna turn into a flame party. But ahng Clean comes from the floor which is extra work on your posterior chain. don't listen to him. Strengthing your legs in the squat is applying force to the ground which is what you do when running. So not training them could cause them to weaken lessening the force you can apply to the ground making you slower. Basically squat, DL, Olympic lifts, Lunges, plyos, hills, flexibility, and form are the keys to lowering your 40. Its a long list but if you are consitent you will love your results.

i ran a 3 minute mile when i was a fetus
    thats slow compared to what deltaforce could do

Originally Posted by watchandsee23
    Any thread that has delta in it is gonna turn into a flame party. But ahng Clean comes from the floor which is extra work on your posterior chain. don't listen to him. Strengthing your legs in the squat is applying force to the ground which is what you do when running. So not training them could cause them to weaken lessening the force you can apply to the ground making you slower. Basically squat, DL, Olympic lifts, Lunges, plyos, hills, flexibility, and form are the keys to lowering your 40. Its a long list but if you are consitent you will love your results.
    hang clean doesnt come from the floor, power clean does.

watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    my bust. Confusion.

What time is it in Malta? Madcow2's Avatar
    Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Madcow2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    man im telling you they will not help you

you will feel faster for like a day and thats it
    Wow. Got to love the high school kids. Join the forums at www.charliefrancis.com, it'll be a drastic education into elite track and speed development as well as having the benefit of improving your times. More important would be to not give advice to anyone without prefacing it with "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about..." I can't stress that enough.

BTW - how in the world did you come up with 48" as your goal for a vertical? I think you should have a look at some of the records out of Nebraska's Strength and Conditioning program for the 40 as well as the vertical. http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.d...0&ATCLID=28377
    You will be the fastest ever to train at that fairly prestigious D1 facility and you will OWN the best all sport vertical by a huge margin. All before going to college.
    Last edited by Madcow2; 02-14-2006 at 04:29 PM.
    Training Theory, Info, and Starr/Pendlay 5x5 Info:
    http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1

Direct Table of Contents:
    http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/table_of_contents_thread.htm

Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Backa53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yes we know he is full of ****. You say that you do alot of olympic lifts. Does anyone know which is better hang cleans or powercleans? Also which would be better for speed, hang/high pulls or deadlifts?
    Rudy Thomas explained in a thread over at http://athletes.com why Hang cleans are much better for athletes.

I forget the details what he said defenitly had alot of backing to it.

Originally Posted by Madcow2
    Wow. Got to love the high school kids. Join the forums at www.charliefrancis.com, it'll be a drastic education into elite track and speed development as well as having the benefit of improving your times. More important would be to not give advice to anyone without prefacing it with "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about..." I can't stress that enough.

BTW - how in the world did you come up with 48" as your goal for a vertical? I think you should have a look at some of the records out of Nebraska's Strength and Conditioning program for the 40 as well as the vertical. http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.d...0&ATCLID=28377
    You will be the fastest ever to train at that fairly prestigious D1 facility and you will OWN the best all sport vertical by a huge margin. All before going to college.

owned
    Semper Hungry

dosnt wanna load

Originally Posted by Backa53
    Rudy Thomas explained in a thread over at http://athletes.com why Hang cleans are much better for athletes.

I forget the details what he said defenitly had alot of backing to it.
    really? Wow if you could find that, that would be wonderful and I'd really appreciate this...thanks man. Just making sure, hang cleans are the ones were you are holding the bar each rep and you dont go to the ground, right?

really? Wow if you could find that, that would be wonderful and I'd really appreciate this...thanks man. Just making sure, hang cleans are the ones were you are holding the bar each rep and you dont go to the ground, right?
    Yea, they're HANGING right near your knee/quad area..

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DN

Kinda like that.. But my knees are a little bent, I guess I should go over the Hang Clean form before tryin them out again..

EDIT** - It didnt go right to the pic.. But scroll down and you'll see a pic of a guy doin a Hang-Clean..
    Gandolf Swag.

owned

i guess im be that good

Originally Posted by MPM17AB
    Yea, they're HANGING right near your knee/quad area..

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DN

Kinda like that.. But my knees are a little bent, I guess I should go over the Hang Clean form before tryin them out again..

EDIT** - It didnt go right to the pic.. But scroll down and you'll see a pic of a guy doin a Hang-Clean..
    you think these are better than powercleans for atheletes too?