Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Ask my anything about injuries

My methods of injury prevention have proven to be effective as reulsts show. I've only had one muscle pull (minor) in my entire life. Rarely was sore post workout! And asking my athletes couple days after intense workouts, how you feel? They say, fine...

Although some are simply injury prone and will pick up more than others, its results on average. I also have VERY few shin splints yearly reported in my high school and entire club.

So go ahead and ask me any question on my methods of specific injury prevention, or anything about injuries.

JerG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JerG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JerG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JerG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JerG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JerG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JerG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JerG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JerG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JerG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JerG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well, here goes.

In mid-december I suffered a hard impact on the side of my right shoulder. I was playing basketball, and I rammed it against another player. I felt some sort of strange inward pressure (I don't think it rotated) or cracks immediately, but the pain was not that bad. It was enough to make me stop playing, but it was bearable as long as I didn't raise my arm.

I went to see the doc about it two days later. He basically said to rest it for a week, and I did. I tried lifting again, but it caused a lot of pain in the same spot. I stopped immediately after a couple reps on bench press. I could hardly sleep that night because the pain was so bad.

I waited a few days and I decided to lift, but no shoulders/triceps/chest exercises. I did legs/p chain/back/biceps for two weeks. I decided to give db bench a try since I took a two-week break and - my shoulder was still aggravated.

Since the last aggravation, I have taken eight solid days off. My shoulder still has pain when I move it quickly or put pressure on it. Why does this pain persist? Will it go away?

I have been taking ibuprofen and icing it for weeks. I had x rays taken yesterday, but I won't see the results until tuesday.
    JOURNAL: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=110936481

PSU

DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I suffered torn tendons and ligaments in the ankle on December 1st 2007. Before that both my ankles were very strong as I knew the most common injury in soccer is ankle injuries.

Anyways, since the injury, I went for physiotherapy (the ultrasound rub and machine vibrations thing) and doctor gave me stretching exercises for the calf and ankle (basically the pushwall calf stretch and plantar dorsi inversion and eversion of the ankle).

I have been working on my proprioception and now I can stand on my injured ankle with my eyes closed and arms folded for 30 seconds or more.

My question is, how do I strengthen the tendons and ligaments back to what it was before? Any exercises or things to do that you recommend?
    Loneliness knows me by name

qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000)
    i think you should make a "sticky" or a guideline of what you do exactly to prevent these injuries (i.e. static stretching post workout to prevent soreness or dynamics prior to prevent soreness, doing a certain amount of toe curls and dorsiflexion to prevent shin splits, etc.) also i dont know how popular jump stretch is on here but since doing the program i have rolled my ankle countless times and have not missed any time due to it, i also regularly stretch my ankles with the bands before basketball and sometimes during a regular day to further prevent ankle/foot injuries
    Off-Season Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120401851

Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity

Citius, Altius, Fortius

tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tysingleton34 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I play basketball and football and plan on running track. My body has held up pretty good besides for my ankles. There is never a time where they are not sore and I'm always having to sit out from hurt ankles.

Thanks, Ty

farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by JerG View Post
    Well, here goes.

In mid-december I suffered a hard impact on the side of my right shoulder. I was playing basketball, and I rammed it against another player. I felt some sort of strange inward pressure (I don't think it rotated) or cracks immediately, but the pain was not that bad. It was enough to make me stop playing, but it was bearable as long as I didn't raise my arm.

I went to see the doc about it two days later. He basically said to rest it for a week, and I did. I tried lifting again, but it caused a lot of pain in the same spot. I stopped immediately after a couple reps on bench press. I could hardly sleep that night because the pain was so bad.

I waited a few days and I decided to lift, but no shoulders/triceps/chest exercises. I did legs/p chain/back/biceps for two weeks. I decided to give db bench a try since I took a two-week break and - my shoulder was still aggravated.

Since the last aggravation, I have taken eight solid days off. My shoulder still has pain when I move it quickly or put pressure on it. Why does this pain persist? Will it go away?

I have been taking ibuprofen and icing it for weeks. I had x rays taken yesterday, but I won't see the results until tuesday.
    best advice i can give you is... wait till you see your x rays.

Originally Posted by DesVaro View Post
    I suffered torn tendons and ligaments in the ankle on December 1st 2007. Before that both my ankles were very strong as I knew the most common injury in soccer is ankle injuries.

Anyways, since the injury, I went for physiotherapy (the ultrasound rub and machine vibrations thing) and doctor gave me stretching exercises for the calf and ankle (basically the pushwall calf stretch and plantar dorsi inversion and eversion of the ankle).

I have been working on my proprioception and now I can stand on my injured ankle with my eyes closed and arms folded for 30 seconds or more.

My question is, how do I strengthen the tendons and ligaments back to what it was before? Any exercises or things to do that you recommend?
    Heel walks, toe curls, calf raise (single leg and double leg). Advance to doing low hops on soft surfaces.

Originally Posted by tysingleton34 View Post
    I play basketball and football and plan on running track. My body has held up pretty good besides for my ankles. There is never a time where they are not sore and I'm always having to sit out from hurt ankles.

Thanks, Ty
    Bare foot running/bounding, heel walks, toe curls, hops, calf raises should be done.

crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    once your back from a knee injury(cartilage tear or ACL damage and/or such)

what should you do to recover without too much stress on the knee

and this is after the origional physical therapy and recovery and doctors have given the weights go ahead

Originally Posted by crppleman51 View Post
    once your back from a knee injury(cartilage tear or ACL damage and/or such)

what should you do to recover without too much stress on the knee

and this is after the origional physical therapy and recovery and doctors have given the weights go ahead
    like anything build it up.

ice after every workout
    stretch quadriceps a lot
    loosen up knee well prior workouts
    strengthen slowly using lunges and squats but slowly, body weight first

crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by farzamk View Post
    like anything build it up.

ice after every workout
    stretch quadriceps a lot
    loosen up knee well prior workouts
    strengthen slowly using lunges and squats but slowly, body weight first
    ahh

now i know how to do it right when if it happens again/hopefully doesnt

thanks alot

54bobcat54 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 54bobcat54 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 54bobcat54 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 54bobcat54 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 54bobcat54 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 54bobcat54 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 54bobcat54 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 54bobcat54 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 54bobcat54 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 54bobcat54 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 54bobcat54 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Have any ideas on shoulder stretches to loosen my shoulders up before and after bench pressing?
    Also, a little bit of background about my injury.
    In gradeschool, 8th grade(almost 3 years ago), i dislocated my shoulder in a football game. I got it popped back into place and let it heal before i started lifting for freshman year(plenty of rest) i started lifting and it felt fine, no pain or anything.
    The end of freshman year our coach got fired. We got a new coach in there who knew jack sh!t about training. He made us do all kinds of lifts the wrong form, mainly military presses. Well i lifted the way he had us lift and my shoulder started to get loose and pinch around the rotator cuff.

Every now and then, like while im driving, it feels like my shoulder is trying to slip out of place. There isnt much pain from it but every now and then when it does it, he pain is shearing. Keep in mind this never happens when i lift, my shoulders just get tight post bench press. Only happens when i have my arm elevated for a period of time.
    What you think might be wrong? Should i see a doc about it?
    (sorry for rambling)

dodie53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dodie53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dodie53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dodie53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dodie53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dodie53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dodie53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dodie53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dodie53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dodie53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dodie53 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i can't do barbell curls because if i twist my left wrist and put some weight on it, it hurts.

but hammer curls and bench presses i can manage.
    but with a wrist support on the said wrist.

any suggestions on what to do?
    thanks
    You can't worry about things you have no control over.
    -- Steve Nash

DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50) DesVaro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Heel walks, toe curls, calf raise (single leg and double leg). Advance to doing low hops on soft surfaces.
    If you don't mind, what exactly is a toe curl?

jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have had a pain in my right hip right below my ass chick that is sharp when I run, it has been hurting for upwards of 6 months now, what is it and what should i do? i have been resting it for 3 months and whenever I start to run it hurts again, and its really holding me back, i went to the doc and he said it was only strained and that was 4 months ago, I tried going to physical therapy and it felt better for the first week but started hurting again after that. what is it and what should i do? this is making my right leg WAY weaker than my left leg.
    Bench: 185 lbs
    Squat: 285 lbs

Originally Posted by 54bobcat54 View Post
    Have any ideas on shoulder stretches to loosen my shoulders up before and after bench pressing?
    Also, a little bit of background about my injury.
    In gradeschool, 8th grade(almost 3 years ago), i dislocated my shoulder in a football game. I got it popped back into place and let it heal before i started lifting for freshman year(plenty of rest) i started lifting and it felt fine, no pain or anything.
    The end of freshman year our coach got fired. We got a new coach in there who knew jack sh!t about training. He made us do all kinds of lifts the wrong form, mainly military presses. Well i lifted the way he had us lift and my shoulder started to get loose and pinch around the rotator cuff.

Every now and then, like while im driving, it feels like my shoulder is trying to slip out of place. There isnt much pain from it but every now and then when it does it, he pain is shearing. Keep in mind this never happens when i lift, my shoulders just get tight post bench press. Only happens when i have my arm elevated for a period of time.
    What you think might be wrong? Should i see a doc about it?
    (sorry for rambling)
    Yes do see a doctor about this!

Shoulder rotations and arm swings are GREAT ways to loosen the shoulders prior to anything basically, from bench press to sprinting.

If you don't mind, what exactly is a toe curl?
    Bump

Originally Posted by jamesh23 View Post
    I have had a pain in my right hip right below my ass chick that is sharp when I run, it has been hurting for upwards of 6 months now, what is it and what should i do? i have been resting it for 3 months and whenever I start to run it hurts again, and its really holding me back, i went to the doc and he said it was only strained and that was 4 months ago, I tried going to physical therapy and it felt better for the first week but started hurting again after that. what is it and what should i do? this is making my right leg WAY weaker than my left leg.
    go to a doctor and get x rays, tell him it is a lot more serious.

Bump
    Heel flat, doesnt move. Toe/front of foot comes up only while heel remains in place.

jsthundergod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsthundergod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsthundergod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsthundergod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jsthundergod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes coach--- Yesterday, I was doing one-legged calf-raises (after a warm-up), and on my first medium heavy set for the right leg, I had a stabbing pain. It's like it popped, but I didn't hear it do so. I've read that if it was indeed a tear, that a day later at least, I should see some bruising or blood pooling above the heel up towards mid-calf. I don't. There is a slight bit of swelling in the calf but not bad. It hurts bad to walk however. Do you think it is just a slight tear, and that R.I.C.E and massage will help? Please help me!!!

Originally Posted by jsthundergod View Post
    Yes coach--- Yesterday, I was doing one-legged calf-raises (after a warm-up), and on my first medium heavy set for the right leg, I had a stabbing pain. It's like it popped, but I didn't hear it do so. I've read that if it was indeed a tear, that a day later at least, I should see some bruising or blood pooling above the heel up towards mid-calf. I don't. There is a slight bit of swelling in the calf but not bad. It hurts bad to walk however. Do you think it is just a slight tear, and that R.I.C.E and massage will help? Please help me!!!
    Fist you want to try RICE/massage as well as hot/cold shower intervals. Dont stretch it! Try for a week and see how it goes, or maybe a few days and see if it gets better, stays same or gets worse. Let me know what happens.

Heel flat, doesnt move. Toe/front of foot comes up only while heel remains in place.
    Its basically a reverse calf raise, am i right?

Its basically a reverse calf raise, am i right?
    theoritically yes.

heardy10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heardy10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heardy10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a muscle strain, went to the trainer, he said it's part of my quad, and a muscle called the "rectus ..?" i forgot the second part, but it's near my hip flexor above my quad. I've had this before, 2 or 3 times total in my life. my question is how do i strengthen this so it doesn't keep reoccuring?

jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jamesh23 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    go to a doctor and get x rays, tell him it is a lot more serious.
    thanks, I got an xray and it didnt show anything.
    Bench: 185 lbs
    Squat: 285 lbs

maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000) maverick000 is just really nice. (+1000)
    my shins and calves usually get pretty beat up after my speed workouts and after football practice. any ideas on how to keep shin splits at bay and keep my calves from getting to stiff?
    Knowing others is wisdom;
    knowing the self is enlightenment.
    Mastering others requires force;
    mastering the self needs strength.

Registered User diegomaradona10's Avatar
    diegomaradona10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What is some general injury prevention tips you can give us?

I usually suffer groin/hamstring/hip strains, what are some leg workouts which can keep me injury free?

Adrenalize is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adrenalize is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adrenalize is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adrenalize is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adrenalize is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adrenalize is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adrenalize is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adrenalize is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adrenalize is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adrenalize is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adrenalize is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My question is about an injury I have got twice now in the last year playing basketball. Was diagnosed as a tear in the soleus muscle in my calf. Basically it happened both times when I was jumping straight up for a shot and the other time jumping straight up going for a rebound. Heard kind of a pop and a very sharp pain insued in my calf muscle. First time was my left calf, the second my right. Couldn't really walk on it at all, and wasn't able to play for quite a long time, then re-injured it right away when I attempted to play again recently!!

Have been going to a physical therapist for a couple weeks now, and am able to pretty much walk without a limp finally. The therapist thinks I'll be able to continue playing baskteball in 2 weeks, and he doesn't feel I will re-injure it. After having gone through this same injury twice, I am getting kind of worried that it will continue, and I won't be able to play hoops anymore.

I realize my body is getting older, wearing down, etc lol, but is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again, and make sure that I can still play some basketball? Any advice with this is much appreciated!

JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    2 Q's

1)Should you do dynamic stretches before weights for arms/upper body?? If so any examples??

2)I hurt my knee a month or two ago and its almost back to normal, but it hurts on the front of the knee when I do lunges, otherwise its fine for everyting else. Any ideas?

Thanks

Reps n Sets is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reps n Sets is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reps n Sets is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reps n Sets is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reps n Sets is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reps n Sets is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reps n Sets is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reps n Sets is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reps n Sets is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reps n Sets is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reps n Sets is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    all the greats sustain their fair share of kinks and cuts.
    美國海軍陸戰隊 E5, USMC 06'-14'
    ♦ ɴɣϲ ϲrew ♦
    *Misc Photography Crew*

“In order for man to succeed in life, God provided him with two means, education and physical activity. Not separately, one for the soul and the other for the body, but for the two together. With these two means, man can attain perfection.” - Plato