Half Norse, Half Animal VikingMan's Avatar
    VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)

What does a hernia feel like?

Guys,

What does a hernia feel like? I did a set of dead lifts yesterday, and when I was done, I went to do some situps. I noticed a sharp though not unbearable pain in my lower left ab area while doing the situps so I stopped. I'm obviously scared as hell that I did something bad during my dead lifts. The deads were heavy for me. The heavy set was with 320 for 5 reps.

It's kinda just a dull ache right now. Can't really even feel it sitting at rest, but if I move around I can feel the ache.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
    VM
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

Hates the word "Curls" Masta ZuZ's Avatar
    Masta ZuZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Masta ZuZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Masta ZuZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Masta ZuZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Masta ZuZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Masta ZuZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    see a doctor if the pain dont go away
    Pain is just a state of mind.

"Don't Think, Just Push!" - Quoted by a spotter. Dam good advice.

My Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=9467630#post9467630

sbrown_c4l has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbrown_c4l has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbrown_c4l has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbrown_c4l has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbrown_c4l has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbrown_c4l has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbrown_c4l has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbrown_c4l has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbrown_c4l has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbrown_c4l has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbrown_c4l has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if you think it's a hernia go to a doctor as soon as possible, because if it is you'll be done lifting for a while if it isn't take a week off and you should be fine, I've had 2 THEY SUCK, get it checked out

jricard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Put ice on your groin area to reduce the swelling. Also take some Advil to reduce the pain. Wait it out for 2 days. If the problem is still there, see a doctor right away. This is something you do NOT want to mess with. I also would not lift a single weight if the pain hasnt goine away in 2 days.I had one and it required surgery and ill be the first to tell you its not a treat. Btw, it wasnt from lifting weights so your situation might be a bit different. However, the ending results might be the same.

Good luck.

700nitro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 700nitro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 700nitro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 700nitro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 700nitro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 700nitro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 700nitro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 700nitro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 700nitro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 700nitro is on a distinguished road. (+10) 700nitro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i herd it like trying to **** pine cones..................just kidding......seriously if the pain persists i would see a medic asap.

Bfloblitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bfloblitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs down

A hernia is an abdominal protrusion. Usually pushes out when you cough. Try it. Simple test. Cough with your hand on the area. Why are you deadlifting anyway? Too dangerous. Its a total powerlifting lift. Not necessary unless you want to compete. Way too much straining.

VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jricard
    Put ice on your groin area to reduce the swelling. Also take some Advil to reduce the pain. Wait it out for 2 days. If the problem is still there, see a doctor right away. This is something you do NOT want to mess with. I also would not lift a single weight if the pain hasnt goine away in 2 days.I had one and it required surgery and ill be the first to tell you its not a treat. Btw, it wasnt from lifting weights so your situation might be a bit different. However, the ending results might be the same.

Good luck.
    I totally agree, it's not something I want to screw around with. But maybe I wasn't very clear. There really isn't a whole lot of pain. It was a little sharp during the set of situps I attempted, but has since really gone down. There is no swelling, and Advil would be way overkill. It feels like a strained muscle, that's what it feels like.

Lifting weights has become a way of life for me. I guess I reacted the way I did because the thought that something would take that away from me is absolutely my worst nightmare.

Since you had a hernia, what did it feel like at first? Did it feel like a mildly strained muscle? Cause that's what it feels like right now.

Originally Posted by BIGNUC
    A hernia is an abdominal protrusion. Usually pushes out when you cough. Try it. Simple test. Cough with your hand on the area. Why are you deadlifting anyway? Too dangerous. Its a total powerlifting lift. Not necessary unless you want to compete. Way too much straining.
    Tried the cough thing, and it feels identical on both sides of my lower abdomen, so that's good, right?

Regarding the thought on Dead Lifting, you will find that that thought is not very popular around here. Dead Lifting is an excellent exercise. It stimulates a whole heck of a lot of muscles. Legs, Back, Abs, Forearms, Bis, Tris, Shoulders, Upper Back, etc. Heavy Deads are an essential exercise for building strength and mass.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. If it doesn't get better, I will definitely be seeing a doctor.

VM
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

triathlon0505 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triathlon0505 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triathlon0505 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triathlon0505 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triathlon0505 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triathlon0505 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i've been having the same problem/feeling in my lower right groin. it started on the bike. so far im treating it as a mild sprain with rest, ice, and some e-stim. i dont see any protrustions and it is relatively pain free(stabbing/throbbing wise) at rest. although,with ab work or cough it is very noticeable. im still hesitant, but one more week and i'm going to get a medical opinion. i have always heard that they were almost unbareable. my friend was doubled over when he had his, didnt feel like leaving bed. is it possible to have a minor hernia? and if so, does the issue ever resolve itself or is surgery the only option?

triathlon0505 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triathlon0505 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triathlon0505 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triathlon0505 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triathlon0505 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triathlon0505 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    well after doing cardio today, my right testicle is definitely noticably swollen . does this have anything to do with anything, i always thought hernia was in the lowest abdominal and dealt with a pertrusion of the intestines.

Tiger85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiger85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiger85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiger85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiger85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiger85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiger85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiger85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiger85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiger85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiger85 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by triathlon0505
    well after doing cardio today, my right testicle is definitely noticably swollen . does this have anything to do with anything, i always thought hernia was in the lowest abdominal and dealt with a pertrusion of the intestines.
    A groin hernia can "go" or "drop" into the testicle. In that case you should see a doctor right away.
    I think it is not serious unless it is blocking blood circulation, but anyways it is something that needs to be taken care of immediately.
    Height: 5'6
    Weight: 65kg

Visit my online workout journal at [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=413690[/url]

My pic (old): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=104860&d=1085646532

well, 3 or 4 more days have passed and the feeling hasnt changed so i did make an appointment to see my doctor. first time ive been to my general doctor in almost a year but im thinking you guys are right that i need to get it checked out. running through a list in my head of possible things it could be, i think the best possible diagnosis is strain. and im still hoping for that. i'm not a doctor but if there are any medical minded people reading: would a strain account for testicle swelling? ache at rest now. tender to touch. however, and and somewhat surprisingly, it has behaved itself fairly well last two workouts.
    Last edited by triathlon0505; 02-02-2006 at 10:22 AM.

Man that sucks triathlon0505. Mine stopped hurting at all in like 3 days, and was nowhere near my testicles. It was just a strained abdominal muscle. You don't sound so lucky. Good thing you've got an appointment to see the doctor. My nephew had something similar. His testicle was the size of a tennis ball. It was a hernia that had to be operated on in order to be fixed.

Sorry man. Hope it isn't, and if it is, that you get better fast.

thanks man i guess were signed in at the same time. i hadnt seen you post before i edited. i should see a doctor about my spelling. well, thats good your is just a muscle. know how to treat those. ill report back on monday.

tennisball? DAMN, no if i had to i would say the left is a grape and the right is a large grape or cherry. it feels like its just fluid. maybe my right testicle is taking in too much sodium and retaining water lol. joking aside, a hernia starts to look pretty good next to testicular cancer or appendicitis right?

Certainly next to testicular cancer. That is way bad juju. That's what Lance Armstrong had and is usually a death sentance.

Appendicitis on the other hand, is not usually life threatening if you get to a doctor, but hurts like hell. I had appendicitis when I was a kid. I had about 48 hours of gut wrenching pain. It would build and build until I threw up, at which point it would feel better, then get worse till I threw up again, repeating like that for hours. Not fun.

i went to the doctor and he said the swelling and tenderness was Epididymitis and gave me antibiotics for the infection(cippro). i had blood and urine taken to rule out std or urinary tract infection but i have to wait a few days. and if it doesnt resolves itself in two weeks to get an ultra sound on the testicles. so no hernia!

psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ive had my abs hurt from lifting, feeling like "omg maybe a hernia" but nowhere near severe enough, I get it quite a lot so I do try to be careful. Maybe I do have a weakness there, I dont know.
    5'11", 187lbs, 19 y/o

[DL]
    5 x 302.5 (06.06)
    [Pullups]
    3x3 x +33 (08.06)
    [overhead]
    115 x 3 (09.06)

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=633909

kappaz is just really nice. (+1000) kappaz is just really nice. (+1000) kappaz is just really nice. (+1000) kappaz is just really nice. (+1000) kappaz is just really nice. (+1000) kappaz is just really nice. (+1000) kappaz is just really nice. (+1000) kappaz is just really nice. (+1000) kappaz is just really nice. (+1000) kappaz is just really nice. (+1000) kappaz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by triathlon0505
    i went to the doctor and he said the swelling and tenderness was Epididymitis and gave me antibiotics for the infection(cippro). i had blood and urine taken to rule out std or urinary tract infection but i have to wait a few days. and if it doesnt resolves itself in two weeks to get an ultra sound on the testicles. so no hernia!
    is the pain/swelling gone now?