Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    The Giant Killer ShreddedShruggin's Avatar
    ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Balls To the Wall: Shruggin's Journey to Getting Ginormous

Hey guys, some of you probably know me from the exercise forum. My name is Anthony aka Shruggin aka Grimface. 18, 170(ish), 5'7'', about 9-10% bodyfat. I've been training for about a year, although i've been in the "fitness game" for 2. I'm getting a little sick of doing bodypart splits, so I'm trying a new routine, the upper/lower split. I will be training 4 days a week, and doing some cardio after weights, and maybe a little on off days. Although my upper to lower ratio is high, this is because my legs always require a lot of recovery time. Here is a preview:

3 sets each, reps undecided, going to failure on only the last set. I'll keep the weight the same for all 3 sets, and increase when i hit my target rep range on the last set.

Sat: Pull ups, db flat bench, db lateral raises, db curls, ez bar skullcrushers
    Sunday: Lying Leg Curls, GHR, Squats or deads, Leg Extensions Supersetted with Front Squats
    Tuesday: Db overhead presses, db flies, hammer grip pull ups, db hammer curls, db overhead extension
    Thursday: one arm db rows, weighted pushups, behind the neck presses, barbell curls, db skullcrushers

Diet will be average...I'm done with bulking and getting nice and fat. This will be a very clean diet with just enough calories to build muscle, and don't worry, i'll take the cardio into consideration. As for pics, here's some:

http://fitprofile.com/profile.asp?pid=80
    http://fitprofile.com/gallery.asp?pid=80
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attach...5&d=1137879848

Stats:
    Chest: 43
    Arms: 15
    Waist: 30 (that rear double bi is old)
    Legs: 24.5
    Shoulders: 50

-Grimface
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Still_Shruggin; 01-23-2006 at 04:09 AM.

MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Good luck and i'm totally subscribing to this because there will come a day... perhaps spring - where an upper/lower split will benefit me as I work on cutting down as far as I can and I would like to see how this works for you.

BTW- ya look great for a little 18 year old !!
    Height - almost 5'10"
    Current weight - 152 - WTF?

Workout Journal... http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=677394

[url]http://www.myspace.com/msnubility[/url]

Bigger than Darklight The Real Deal's Avatar
    The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000)
    looks like everyones doing a journal now. anyway good luck with the upper/lower split. im interesting to see wat u think of it compared to 1 bodypart a day splits.

Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Subscribed.

Looks good man. I'll be following along!
    Audentis Fortuna Iuvat

memicah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hey hey!

Goodluck on your journey man. You and I have about the same build too. Maybe I should put up a thread as well to hold myself accountable

ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

1/23/06

First journal entry!

Ok, today was an off day, so I didn't do any weight training. However, i did do some light cardio. 6 mph for 23 minutes on a treadmill.

-Grimface
    Last edited by Still_Shruggin; 01-23-2006 at 05:50 PM.

aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Shruggin - I'm interested in seeing your continued progress. Good luck!

Real Deal - I hear ya, everyone's starting journals!

1/24/05

First and foremost, I'd like to start off with a sidenote. Last night i was separating two frozen pieces of chicken with a knife, and the knife went through and cut a nice gash in my hand. This sucks because it completely f*cked my ability to grip stuff with bare hands. Have no fear tho, cause I wrapped it up nicely and put on my training gloves, and all was solved. Let's get on with the workout:

1. V-handle Hammer Grip Pull-ups:
    Target Rep Range Per Set: 5, Minute Rests
    BW+60X5, BW+60X5, BW+60X5, BW+50X4

2. Overhead Dumbell Presses:
    Target Rep Range: 10, Minute Rests
    55X10, 55X10, 55X9

3. Incline Dumbell Flies:
    Target Rep Range: 8, Minute Rests
    45X8, 45X8, 45X8
    Note: Hit All reps, but form was sloppy on reps 7 and 8 of last set so I'll stick with this weight next week

4. Dumbell Hammer Curls:
    30X8, 30X8, 30X7

5. Seated Both Hands on One Dumbell Tricep Extensions:
    65X10, 65X10, 65X7

Weights lasted about 25 minutes, then hopped on treadmill for a steady 20. I wanted to go for 25, but I ripped a wicked fart (damn flax oil) and had to get out of the vicinity as quick as possible.

-Grimface

MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Still_Shruggin
    First and foremost, I'd like to start off with a sidenote. Last night i was separating two frozen pieces of chicken with a knife, and the knife went through and cut a nice gash in my hand. This sucks because it completely f*cked my ability to grip stuff with bare hands. Have no fear tho, cause I wrapped it up nicely and put on my training gloves, and all was solved. Let's get on with the workout:

1. V-handle Hammer Grip Pull-ups:
    Target Rep Range Per Set: 5, Minute Rests
    BW+60X5, BW+60X5, BW+60X5, BW+50X4

2. Overhead Dumbell Presses:
    55X10, 55X10, 55X9

3. Incline Dumbell Flies:
    45X8, 45X8, 45X8
    Note: Hit All reps, but form was sloppy on reps 7 and 8 of last set so I'll stick with this weight next week

4. Dumbell Hammer Curls:
    30X8, 30X8, 30X7

5. Seated Both Hands on One Dumbell Tricep Extensions:
    65X10, 65X10, 65X7

Weights lasted about 25 minutes, then hopped on treadmill for a steady 20. I wanted to go for 25, but I ripped a wicked fart (damn flax oil) and had to get out of the vicinity as quick as possible.

-Grimface

Looks like a great workout! Minus the flatulance of course Beano is your friend man..Beeeaaano. Jk. When you do your DB Extensions are you seated and back supported, or just seated on a flat bench?
    Height - almost 5'10"

Originally Posted by MsDominatus
    Looks like a great workout! Minus the flatulance of course Beano is your friend man..Beeeaaano. Jk. When you do your DB Extensions are you seated and back supported, or just seated on a flat bench?
    Definitely supported. I love to work my core, but not when i'm holding a 65 pound piece of raw iron above my head . One thing I CAN say about those is that they are the best tricep exercise I have ever tried.

-Grimface

Definitely supported. I love to work my core, but not when i'm holding a 65 pound piece of raw iron above my head . One thing I CAN say about those is that they are the best tricep exercise I have ever tried.

-Grimface
    Oh yeah, see I do them too, but not with my back supported. Maybe i'll try that on Saturday when I do 'em.
    Height - almost 5'10"

Originally Posted by MsDominatus
    Oh yeah, see I do them too, but not with my back supported. Maybe i'll try that on Saturday when I do 'em.
    You'll probably be able to use about 5 pound heavier dumbells. I'm a firm believer that your back should be supported whenever your holding weight above your head, for safety purposes. (coming from someone who squats with no spotter or safety pins )

-Grimface

1/25/06

One of the most annoying things about starting a new routine is that you're constantly tweaking it until it reaches perfection (ironically, it never does). That being said, I've decided to change this split a little:
    Day 1: Upper
    Day 2: Hamstring Dominant Lower
    Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: Upper
    Day 5: Quad Dominant Lower
    Day 6: Rest
    Day 7: Repeat

Right-o...today was quad dominant lower. My thigh workouts are usually grueling, and this one was no different. I spent about 10 minutes stretching out my sciatic nerve beforehand, seeing as I've been having trouble with it lately.

1. Close Stance Ass To Grass Barbell Squats
    Target Rep Range: Failure on every set, 2 minute rests
    1X14X215, 1X8X235, 1X10X215, 1X4X255
    *I randomly change the weights by the set to confuse the nervous system

2. Leg Extensions (a) Supersetted w/ Front Squats (b)
    Target Rep Range: Failure on every set, 2 minute rests
    (a) 1X13X100, 1X12X85, 1X12X75
    (b) 1X12X115, 1X10X115, 1X8X115

That's it...this looks like low volume, but trust me, give it a shot and tell me if you're not praying for morphine afterward....

Sidenotes: I've decided to take a close stance on my squats from now on, as I find this puts less stress on my sciatic nerve, as well as putting more stress on the quads. Considering as this is a quad dominating workout, I think this is a smart move. Decided to use lighter weights on the squats today just to make sure I wouldn't get any pain using the close stance. Lastly, I'd like to say that supersetting leg extensions and front squats is NOT FOR THE WEAK AT HEART, and if you're on a low carb diet or have a weak cardiovascular system, I do not recommend these, as they will kill you.

-Grimface
    Last edited by Still_Shruggin; 01-26-2006 at 03:24 AM.

Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Sidenotes: I've decided to take a close stance on my squats from now on, as I find this puts less stress on my sciatic nerve, as well as putting more stress on the quads. Considering as this is a quad dominating workout, I think this is a smart move. Decided to use lighter weights on the squats today just to make sure I wouldn't get any pain using the close stance. Lastly, I'd like to say that supersetting leg extensions and front squats is NOT FOR THE WEAK AT HEART, and if you're on a low carb diet or have a weak cardiovascular system, I do not recommend these, as they will kill you.

-Grimface
    Good workout! I think moving your stance closer on squats is a good idea. I always do a burnout set with my feet together after my heavy sets of squats, and I really think it helps build the outer quad 'sweep'.

Next time try supersetting barbell lunges with front squats. You'll love it.
    Audentis Fortuna Iuvat

mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

Nice workout(s) shruggin

I have a ton of respect for how you take legs so seriously. I could learn a thing or 2 from you

Originally Posted by Hola Bola
    Next time try supersetting barbell lunges with front squats. You'll love it.
    I'd really love to do this but I train at home, and I have a motto when it comes to lunges....

"If you ain't walkin, you ain't lungin'."

-Grimface

Originally Posted by mike_d
    Nice workout(s) shruggin

I have a ton of respect for how you take legs so seriously. I could learn a thing or 2 from you
    Thanks dude! Still holding it down in the misc section? Yeah, I used to have chopstick legs so now I do my all out best to pack as much mass onto those bitches as possible.

-Grimface

jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000)
    * Subscribes *

Nice job so far. Workouts look pretty good. I'll be looking forward to seeing the progress. Hope you get GINORMOUS.

jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by aqua-beowulf
    Shruggin - I'm interested in seeing your continued progress. Good luck!

Real Deal - I hear ya, everyone's starting journals!
    I think the journals are great. Gives us a chance to critique each other and get ideas for our own workouts and diet. The main reason I'm here is to improve, so I think this is a great way to do it. It is the latest rage now I guess. All the cool kids are doing it, I felt like I had to do it.

Originally Posted by jked4life
    * Subscribes *

Nice job so far. Workouts look pretty good. I'll be looking forward to seeing the progress. Hope you get GINORMOUS.
    Thanks man! I"m gonna take the liberty of subscribing to your journal as well!

-Grimface

PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hey, count me in. I am interested in following your progress also. Impressive Physique!

aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

Good workout Shruggin'. Like I've said before, I kind of had a late start on leg training... I've been pretty serious about it for the last couple of years, and EXTREMELY serious the last six months. Nothing is more impressive than a good set of wheels. I love supersetting front and back squats!

I love supersetting front and back squats!
    YEEEEEEEAH Baby! I truly believe that you can subject the legs to extreme amounts of volume/intensity, and they would not be overtrained, given rest and diet are in order. That's why I love doing all kinds of shock techniques for them on a weekly basis.

-Grimface

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

-Grimface
    Cool, if your gym has a seated precher curl bench you could rest your back aginst the pad.
    I don't know either lol

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

I really like your new split
    I don't know either lol

_Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by W8isGR8

Im with you their

Back to shruggin, your looking great man, Im in the same state as you, love working legs! just lately they been taking long to recover fully. Im starting a journal also (might as well everyone else is). It could be a chance for you other form members who don;t know me to get a liking for me, the layout is in my sig, not posting in it till I start it monday. Ill be following your journal\

bust ur ass! ur doin great

Lifter,
    "Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless." Bruce Lee

"The pain of bodybuilding is inevitable, but whether you suffer or not is entirely up to you."

Originally Posted by W8isGR8
    Yeah...i decided all those isolations were overkill. I'm keeping it basically on compounds now...but still not going olympic, they're gay

Lifter:
    THanks! Yep, a journal is a great way to keep motivated.

-Grimface

Yeah...i decided all those isolations were overkill. I'm keeping it basically on compounds now...but still not going olympic, they're gay

Lifter:
    THanks! Yep, a journal is a great way to keep motivated.

-Grimface
    Don't be mad just because you can't do them
    I don't know either lol

PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I love supersetting front and back squats!
    Originally Posted by Still Shruggin
    YEEEEEEEAH Baby!
    Well I'll say one thing, you guys are tougher than I.

Originally Posted by PoW
    Well I'll say one thing, you guys are tougher than I.
    Nah, dude, i aint tough. But i do have the desire to have the best possible body i can...and if that means doing crazy ****, so be it

-Grimface