Thread: enlarged heart

Kevan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

enlarged heart

Dr. told me I have an enlarged left ventricular, said it is from lifting heavy. I am getting up there, 50 later this year. So I am wondering if you guys feel you can still build some quality muscle and continue growing with medium weights instead of going heavy?

Utah...but I'm taller batteryrequired's Avatar
    batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I find it hard to believe that you got it that way from lifting heavy. I will certainly ask my cardiologist about that one but I am pretty sure there has to be some other reason that he has not checked into. Never hurts at all to get a second opinion. Using medium weights would be tough to add any muscle mass. You will certainly keep it toned...but then again...maybe someone else has some better advice. I am sure you will get plenty. I wouldn't just seek one source for information. Good luck and stick around. Interested to see what we find out.
    Double T Sponsored Athlete!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If you are going through hell... keep going" Sir Winston Churchill

Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Mr. Getting Up There

My heart doctor (and brother in law) has been with me since 1980 thru super heavy lifting and an 8 year hard ass steroid run. He treats my heart for an electrical problem I've had since a kid. Doc is BIG on weight lifting for heart health as long as cardio is thrown into the mix. I'd get a second opinion as to the lifting 1. as the cause 2. future lifting. If you can go to a teaching hospital with new young progressive up to date Docs you will get a 2006 type answer.

Good luck....

Already Up There

thanks guys, I was wondering the same thing, it surprises me that lifting would do that. Now i've had high blood pressure for years, and i'm more incline to believe it is do to that than any thing else. I am on meds for it, but had to pleed the dr.s for years to put me on. Guess the damage might have been done before the meds.

bill58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy

Bump.on.this..I.have.been.told.the.same..I.have.se rious.edema
    (water.retention.in.my.lower.legs)Anyone.else.have .any.thoughts??
    Have.stopped.lifting.for.the.present..Going.back.t o.the.Dr.monday...

MarkG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

get second opinion....

How is your blood preasure?

I have had hypertension needing medication to keep it under control for over 20 years now....I do echo-cardiograms, Kidney IVP tests and tread mill stress tests every year. I have zero issues with my heart or kidneys so far....and I am a prime candidate for an enlarged heart.

My cardiologist also supports weight lifting and cardio.

Although I get lazy in the weight lifting arena, I NEVER get lazy doing 60-90 minutes of cardio (jogging, power walking up hill, etc.) 5-7 days a week. I believe excersise is why I am o.k. in the heart/kidney damage arena, and weight training has never been a negative issue in my case.

My lazy period BP is about 133+-/80 with pulse of 60-65.

If I lift weights or do my cardio, it drops to 115/70 for several hours (I was unable to get valid stress test last time because my pulse never hit above 105). If you have similar results, then a hypertensive induced enlarged heart might be ruled out.

There is some evidence that BP increases during heavy lifting, but proper breathing (i.e. NOT holding your breath) seems to negate negative damage or risk that one would expect; high BP is a primary cause of enlarged heart.

Creatine, which retains water in the muscle (I take prescription water pills) does NOT affect my BP readings, so if you are using Creatine that should not be a cause....

Shutup is a complete loser! (-2000) Shutup is a complete loser! (-2000) Shutup is a complete loser! (-2000) Shutup is a complete loser! (-2000) Shutup is a complete loser! (-2000) Shutup is a complete loser! (-2000) Shutup is a complete loser! (-2000) Shutup is a complete loser! (-2000) Shutup is a complete loser! (-2000) Shutup is a complete loser! (-2000) Shutup is a complete loser! (-2000)

Getting big w/light weights

I say yes, this is possible. I'll spare you my story but I used to bench 330 when I was in my 20's and curled 150 and so on, my arms were 17 3/4"
    I lift very light weights now and I have continued to get bigger, my arms are now 19" and I only curl 40 to 60 lbs. I won't even say how much I bench it's so low.

Remember: work the muscle, not the joints!

Thanks for you in put guys. I'm going to back off the heavy weights just a little but still challange myself

bill58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy

Markg...I.have.high.bloodpressure.and.take.a.diret ic.

The.Dr.raised.my.water.pill.but.I.still.have.edema .real.bad.especially.my.right.leg...
    I.also.have.(so.he.says)fluid.in.my.lungs.thus.the .antibotics.
    Monday.will.tell.the.tale....

(My.space.bar.is.not.working.reason.for.the.period s.)

DecemberDays86 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DecemberDays86 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DecemberDays86 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DecemberDays86 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DecemberDays86 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DecemberDays86 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DecemberDays86 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DecemberDays86 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DecemberDays86 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DecemberDays86 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DecemberDays86 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Lightbulb

there used to be a heart "problem" seen in runners called anterior septum hypertrophy or something. at your age, I think an enlarged heart means its compensating for poor function but sometimes weightlifting will trigger the growth, making it a healthy sign. good luck either way!
    1/01/2005 185 lbs 22.5%
    1/29/2005 181 lbs 20.5%
    6/26/2005 153 lbs 14.7% crap
    2/23/2008 ~202 lbs ~21% (crap again!)