sdb212 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sdb212 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sdb212 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sdb212 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sdb212 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sdb212 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sdb212 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sdb212 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sdb212 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sdb212 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sdb212 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

bruised meniscus: how long to heal??

I bruised my meniscus back in november. i'm still not able to do bodyweight squats. i'm wondering if anyone's had this and how long should i expect to rest before it's healed??
    www.crossfit.com

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

sdb212 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sdb212 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sdb212 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sdb212 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sdb212 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sdb212 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sdb212 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sdb212 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sdb212 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sdb212 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sdb212 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    anyone??
    www.crossfit.com

Soon to be Dr. WTF westtexasfury's Avatar
    westtexasfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) westtexasfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) westtexasfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) westtexasfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) westtexasfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) westtexasfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) westtexasfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) westtexasfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) westtexasfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) westtexasfury is on a distinguished road. (+10) westtexasfury is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It really depends on how much of it was bruised, where the bruising is, etc.

It could take up to a year and a half or as little as 3-5 months.
    Current: 205 lbs walking, 195 lbs catchweight fighting

Goal: 220 lbs walking, 205 lbs Fighting

DYSFUNCTIONAL strength I dont work at Ballys's Avatar
    I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)
    took me several months of physical therapy, from a motorcycle crash. it is pretty much 100% now. avoid the surgery at all costs if you can.

If what I see does not amaze me, I am not looking hard enough.

The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.

My YouTube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ajcharmoz

^^ that looks horrifying!!
    www.crossfit.com

I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by sdb212 View Post
    ^^ that looks horrifying!!
    im guessing yours isnt that bad then

just baby it you will be fine in no time.

Shredded_Wheat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shredded_Wheat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shredded_Wheat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shredded_Wheat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shredded_Wheat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shredded_Wheat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shredded_Wheat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shredded_Wheat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shredded_Wheat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shredded_Wheat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shredded_Wheat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I tore my meniscus based on what my uncle who is a PT told me. I don't have insurance so I never went to a doctor. It has been over a year and a half for me, I can walk but can't run. I'm doing light leg extensions and leg curls along with plenty of stationary light cycling. This is helping alot when it is done consistently. The biggest help was losing weight to relieve stress on the meniscus. Also heavy supplements of Glucosamine/Chrondritin w/MSM (2 times the max dosage), Flaxseed Oil, Fish Oil, Plenty of Water, and Cissus (supplement). All of these help alot when used together.

Good Luck and take it slow and easy.
    "Its hard to accept failure when you know in your heart you didn't try your best" RP

inkaddiction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) inkaddiction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can you bruise the meniscus?

Frantec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frantec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frantec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frantec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frantec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by inkaddiction View Post
    I do not believe there is such a thing as a bruised meniscus. A tear yes, a bruise no!

Frantec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frantec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frantec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frantec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frantec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Shredded_Wheat View Post
    I tore my meniscus based on what my uncle who is a PT told me. I don't have insurance so I never went to a doctor. It has been over a year and a half for me, I can walk but can't run. I'm doing light leg extensions and leg curls along with plenty of stationary light cycling. This is helping alot when it is done consistently. The biggest help was losing weight to relieve stress on the meniscus. Also heavy supplements of Glucosamine/Chrondritin w/MSM (2 times the max dosage), Flaxseed Oil, Fish Oil, Plenty of Water, and Cissus (supplement). All of these help alot when used together.

Good Luck and take it slow and easy.
    The problem with not suturing or removing a torn meniscus in a timely manner is that this cartilage does not heal very well due to a poor blood supply resulting in further erosion and the formation of arthritic change!

big_smith will become famous soon enough. (+50) big_smith will become famous soon enough. (+50) big_smith will become famous soon enough. (+50) big_smith will become famous soon enough. (+50) big_smith will become famous soon enough. (+50) big_smith will become famous soon enough. (+50) big_smith will become famous soon enough. (+50) big_smith will become famous soon enough. (+50) big_smith will become famous soon enough. (+50) big_smith will become famous soon enough. (+50) big_smith will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    k so i had contusions (bruises right?) on my meniscus in November. Yes I got a MRI. Dr. told me to stay off of it for a few weeks. I did, then 3 weeks later played basketball and it completley tore and cause "lock knee" and i had to get surgery.

stay off it!!! it will heal!
    Light Weight. Yeah Buddys.

SSMAT04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I did my ACL and the meniscus playing soccer. When you tear your meniscus they can't really do anything for it because its just connective tissue (cartilage). They basically shaved everything out. But the reason it takes so long to heal if you injure it like that is because theres minimal blood flow in connective tissue, so it's just a matter of waiting it out.
    "play like jesus."

666_Jinx_999 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666_Jinx_999 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666_Jinx_999 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666_Jinx_999 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666_Jinx_999 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666_Jinx_999 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666_Jinx_999 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666_Jinx_999 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666_Jinx_999 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666_Jinx_999 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 666_Jinx_999 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by inkaddiction View Post
    no it is avascular connective tissue... you can bruise the surronding tissues though... like bone.

that's just what Mr. MD told me. I thought it was a small tear, but because there was no locking in my movement, he said there was no tear, but only bruised.

i wasn't sure if you could "bruise" the cartilage either, but apparently you can.
    www.crossfit.com

screenbean269 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

bruised cartilage

I bruised my cartilage. I fell ice skating. I partially tore my PCL, but nothing showed up on an MRI. When they FINALLY went in arthroscopically, they found the partially torn PCL, the ACL had scar tissue on it from an old injury, and my medial (I believe) meniscus was purple (soaked with blood). I had pain associated with my knee until they cleaned up the ACL, a little portion of the meniscus had become rough. That surgery went well. I was back up and running. About 6 years later my bruised meniscus had formed a growth on it from the extra blood. Some of the meniscus on one side had degraded-but they had to scrape down the growth, and poke holes in my femur to get new healthy growth. Yes, it can be bruised. I have pictures. I think the time it takes is relative to the amount of stress on your joints. So try to keep it minimal. I found knee braces to be cumbersome and uncomfortable. Be careful not to overwork it. If it is bruised-it's more susceptable to further damage. Good luck!

crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by 666_Jinx_999 View Post
    no it is avascular connective tissue... you can bruise the surronding tissues though... like bone.
    i have had a doctor told me specifically before that i bruised my meniscus

crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by I dont work at Ballys View Post
    took me several months of physical therapy, from a motorcycle crash. it is pretty much 100% now. avoid the surgery at all costs if you can.

haha they let me didnt take it off that quick after surgery

and by then my scars had healed up nicely :[

LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000) LatsMakeTheMan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I hurt mine back in early June, and it's still painful to do a deep squat. But after the first few weeks, I could run, climb stairs, do jiu jitsu, play football and go skiing without any significant trouble. The fact that I can do all those things makes me hope that it's just a sprain or a bruise rather than a real tear.

I finally went to the doctor this week, got an MRI, and am waiting to hear the results.
    In 1945, Adolf Hilter died and went to Hell. Satan asked, "why are you in Hell?" He replied, "I am responsible for the massacre of millions" Satan said, "well done, sit to the right of my throne." In 1953, Joseph Stalin died and went to Hell. Satan asked, "why are you in Hell?" He replied "I killed millions to stay in power" Satan said "good, sit to my left" 2010, Ronnie James Dio died and went to Hell, Satan asked, "why are you in Hell?" Dio replied, "Bitch, get the fuk off my throne!"

Originally Posted by crppleman51 View Post
    haha they let me didnt take it off that quick after surgery

and by then my scars had healed up nicely :[
    i never got surgery bro

i still have issues with compression, like running, etc.

the doc said if it's still bothering me i can come in for a look to see if he'll be able to go in lapricopically and smooth out the cartilage and give me a clean, rounded shape. but i'd rather let time heal it than my checking acct suffer at the moment.
    www.crossfit.com