Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    xplosive power has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xplosive power has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xplosive power has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xplosive power has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xplosive power has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xplosive power has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xplosive power has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xplosive power has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xplosive power has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xplosive power has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xplosive power has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Smile help me to improve my vertical jump

hi guys, well i need some advice to improve my vertical jump, the season r gonna start in february and im f**** cose my work outs sucks, cose i dont have a trainer to help me in my predicament, by the way im a high jumper so if anybody can give some advice ill be thak ful.

jdm001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question How could you spell predicament right, but get 'cause' and 'thankful' wrong

Work on your calf muscles with seated and also standing raises.

Pump the sh*t outta your legs on extension excercises to get the muscle to push and lift.

Really, really work on squats. Use EXPLODING force to lift the weight (don't let it lift off the shoulders or it will fall back down on them) and start with a light weight to get use to the different way of lifting as opposed to the slow method used to define muscles in the legs.

JimmyK

Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Cool

Run Hills and in a pool.. JD is right.. slow down on the squats and explode up.. don't bother with leg extensions..do one legged leg presses and explode up too..

xplosive power has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xplosive power has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xplosive power has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xplosive power has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xplosive power has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xplosive power has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xplosive power has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xplosive power has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xplosive power has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xplosive power has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xplosive power has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

ok guys

ok thaks for the advice but squads, maybe some lunges and calf raises but im still wondering how many sets? how many reps? that will be help ful

Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Cool

I would not do really low reps.. I would shoot for 10-15 just because your going for explosiveness and not mass.

Talking thaks bro

thaks Big H, that a nice info. do you thik 4 set of 10 -15 are enought?, anyway thaks for the info

Levrone2000 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Levrone2000 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Levrone2000 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Levrone2000 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Levrone2000 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Levrone2000 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Levrone2000 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Levrone2000 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Levrone2000 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Levrone2000 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Levrone2000 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    although i know this movement isnt too popular on the boards and im probably gonna get flamed for saying it try power cleans too

Cool

yea.. thats enough sets..

Maximus877 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maximus877 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maximus877 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maximus877 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maximus877 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maximus877 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'll probably get flamed also, but here I go anyway. In high school I had a pair of strength shoes, I'm sure you've seen them. Anyway, in about a year or so, I went from barely touching the rim to drop stepping anything that I could palm. I could could easily dunk anything off a bounce. At the time I was 5'8". The only reason I stopped using them was because they were stolen. I don't know how well they would work for a high jumper though. Good luck anyway.

ok and then??

ok guys, what do you think handle heavy weights? or moderate?

Cool

Moderate weights.

Talking thaks

ok guy thak you so much Big H, maximus877, levrone 2000, jdm 001, for your advices.
    i will keep you info about my progres in the season, if somethig go wrong is your fault lol, im jocking.
    have a nice new year.

Cool

No prob.. what i'm here for..

ok with the stregth shoes

ok maximus 887 i alredy have seen that shoes in magazines, but like you must know im in mexico and here there no way to get that shoes, you know how i can get it?

Cool

Order online?

jdm001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I wouldn't give up on the leg extensions...

big h: I see what you recommend and your right, however, for high jumping you'd really want to build up your entire legs, not just doing the squats...

thats where the leg extensions come in. Many machines can make your legs cut and strong quickly, you don't only jump with your lower legs but your entire body...

therefore you'd probably want to pump your arms too, don't you use your arms for helping propell you up. Many sprinters hold dumbells and do a running motion (standing in place) to make the motion they use for running easier on their arms. See what I mean, get your arms stronger and your legs bigger.

Do squats with low weight many times (25-30 reps) while exploding upward (some smith rack machines can help with this, but cheaper ones may get stuck if you go to quick and this can injure you... trust me I had a cable get snagged while I was squatting 300lbs and got stuck about half way, hurt my neck for a week.)

Also do squats with heavy weight lower reps (8-15 maybe) some workouts go slow for muscle and strength, some go quick for that explosive burst!

Mix it up.

Later,

JimmyK

mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have some jump soles that I used in highschool to help my jumping/dunking ability. I am size 11 1/2 shoe but they fit anywhere in that range. They look like new and I can sell them to you for $45 with the booklets and video they came with.

Cool

Bump on you JDM..
    Extensions aren't good for strength thoughl

quadmonium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

running

i saw a pic in muscle fitness mag. a nfl player was using some kind of running parachute when he sprinted to use wind resistance against him, it was little like 2-3 feet diameter, and was attached to his waist. look into that to give you the cutting edge. i know this post isnt about running. you can try using polymetrics. they cause explosion muscle fibers to grow. stand, and jump verically as high as you possible can, and and when you land, stop at the point that looks like your sitting in a chair, and immediatly repeat. do it 10-12 times, and 3-4 sets, trust me, it works.

Cool

If you don't have a shoot, running in a pool is the second best for resistance.

Cool trining shoes

ok matt man you get my atention here, if you wanana talk about the shes and ohw we gonna make the deal send me an e mail to marcovillsierra@hotmail.com and we gonna make bussines lol

Cool

LOL. "man fails, when man relies on equipment and not themselves."

Smitty76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey explosivepower, I also had a pair of the Strength Shoes in High School. I got them the summer before my Sophmore year and followed the plyometrics program that came with the shoes. The program was tough, and you must follow it exactly, or you won't see any progress. When I started, I could grab the rim fairly easy. Four weeks later, I could put down a volleyball, couldn't palm a basketball yet. We were fortunate to have a vertical jump station in our HS gym so I could measure my progress. I also was combining a pretty intense leg workout with this program. My sophmore basketball season started, I played junior varsity, as well as dressing on the varsity team. The third home game of the season, the varsity team was up 30 points so the coach put the nonstarters in the game in the 4th quarter. To make a long story short, on a breakaway, I got the ball and ended up putting down a massive dunk. The entire Gym went silent from amazement. When it was all said and done, I ended up with a 38 inch vertical, and set school records in track and field. One word of adivse, you need to choreograph your vertical with the rest of your body. You need to learn how to handle the ball, come out of the blocks, etc...... You might be able to leap out of the gym, but you need to know what to do with the ball when you are up there..........
    If your reach muscle failure at the half way point during your lift, you have one more rep in you! If you completely loose control of the weight, then you are done for that set!!!!!

Cool

Yep. No matter how good the equipment, you still need to be skilled.

big has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Way Way back when I had my membership with workout.com, I came across this 8 week program that was supposed to improve your vertical jump. I never finished it but in 2 weeks I tell you I could see a major difference in my vertical...so you might want to give it a shot. This is it;

Squats: 3 sets of 10 (1 min. recovery time)
    DB Calf Raise: 5 sets of 10 (10-30 sec. recovery time)
    DB Step Lunge: 3 sets of 10 (1 min. recovery time)
    Flamingo Approach Jump: 5 sets of 10
    *some other excercise involving a box and jumping...Apparently I never did it b/c I could'nt. I'd tell ya but it's marked out pretty heavily on this paper i'm reading from.

So thats it. Monday for 8 weeks plus cardio. I did cardio every day to every other day and sometimes twice a day.
    As for the parachute thingy--here's a place you can find it (I think they have them in different sizes)... http://kytec.spacestar.com/content.html
    "LET'S DO THE SCOOBIE DOO ENDING!!!"

Cool

What the hell is a flamingo jump?

I'm not sure if I remember. When I was with workout.com I recall coming across a whole bunch of stuff I did'nt know what the crap they were. I don't remember the half of it to this day. There was all sorts of it though. One I specifically remember was for upper body power. What you did was you go down like you would in a push-up, and then you pushed yourself into the air and over this cone which you had placed to your right, and you landed on the other side. After that you did the same thing, only push off to your left. But I can't remember what a flamingo jump is anymore than I can remember the name to that peice of crap.

scoobie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Squat
    warm up 1x10, 1x8 1x6
    pyramid sets 1x6 1x6 1x5 1x4

Roate between Jump/Explosive Squats
    warm up 1x6
    strait sets 2x6-10

Depth jumps
    warmup on low boxes 1x8
    sets on high boxes 2x8

Cool

Originally posted by big
    I'm not sure if I remember. When I was with workout.com I recall coming across a whole bunch of stuff I did'nt know what the crap they were. I don't remember the half of it to this day. There was all sorts of it though. One I specifically remember was for upper body power. What you did was you go down like you would in a push-up, and then you pushed yourself into the air and over this cone which you had placed to your right, and you landed on the other side. After that you did the same thing, only push off to your left. But I can't remember what a flamingo jump is anymore than I can remember the name to that peice of crap.
    That sounds hard as ****. You would think it would put a lot of stress on your joints.

yeah no kidding! It'll rip ya a new one though if you're looking for upper body power.