thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10)

jumping technique

so in terms of strength i've come a looong way..`115x5 to 315x5 pounds
    i weigh 200 pounds and i'm 5'11. I spend my life training, yet i see everybody around me just completely making my hard work look like ****. My brother did half of the vjb begginer plyo and he can now dunk, he cant even squat a plate yet. I am literallty 10 inches from the rim from a running vert, its basically unheard of.
    i've spent nearly a year and a half working on basketball and my strength, and i havent gained an inch on my vert. Now i;m praying to god that i somehow jump like a retard and that some saint on this forum can actually help me. I have the vjb, and the thing is i understand what he means, but as you are jumping, what muscles do you employ yourself. Do you use and upwards pelvic thrust? or do you use the whole body?? And concerning the countermovement he says go into a quarter squat, but during the runup arent you already in that position. No offence but people are really starting to think i'm pathetic spending 90% my time with basketball when i;m still complete garbage. HELP A POOR SOUL

sillz100 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sillz100 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sillz100 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sillz100 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sillz100 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sillz100 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sillz100 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sillz100 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sillz100 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sillz100 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sillz100 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by thaphoenix View Post
    so in terms of strength i've come a looong way..`115x5 to 315x5 pounds
    i weigh 200 pounds and i'm 5'11. I spend my life training, yet i see everybody around me just completely making my hard work look like ****. My brother did half of the vjb begginer plyo and he can now dunk, he cant even squat a plate yet. I am literallty 10 inches from the rim from a running vert, its basically unheard of.
    i've spent nearly a year and a half working on basketball and my strength, and i havent gained an inch on my vert. Now i;m praying to god that i somehow jump like a retard and that some saint on this forum can actually help me. I have the vjb, and the thing is i understand what he means, but as you are jumping, what muscles do you employ yourself. Do you use and upwards pelvic thrust? or do you use the whole body?? And concerning the countermovement he says go into a quarter squat, but during the runup arent you already in that position. No offence but people are really starting to think i'm pathetic spending 90% my time with basketball when i;m still complete garbage. HELP A POOR SOUL

have you done any plyometerics or rate of force development?

Cheetah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cheetah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cheetah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cheetah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cheetah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cheetah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cheetah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cheetah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cheetah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cheetah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cheetah has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Do you do any olympic lifts?
    “Most of you are familiar with the virtues of a programmer. There are three, of course: laziness, impatience, and hubris.”

thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i just started plyos, but still the gainbs iwouldhave to make to accomplish anything are just completely urealistic
    '
    and yes i did some 8 week plyo program in the summer and am currently doing the vjb. By the way i am 22% body fat

â„¢da1â„¢ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) â„¢da1â„¢ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) â„¢da1â„¢ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) â„¢da1â„¢ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) â„¢da1â„¢ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) â„¢da1â„¢ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) â„¢da1â„¢ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) â„¢da1â„¢ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) â„¢da1â„¢ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) â„¢da1â„¢ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) â„¢da1â„¢ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    try touching the net if that how high you can touch then start touching the backbard then try touching the bottom of the box

Have you dont any hamstring work??dunking on lil hoops?abs?
    At the end of the day its the internet.

GTfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GTfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I think you should re-evaluate your training and try to pinpoint your weak points. Also, If you've been working out consistently but seeing no improvement, then maybe your jumping mechanics are to blame. Do people think you look weird jumping, etc, like could it be your form? I think one way you could fix this is to set up a camera and record yourself attemping various jumps, like run ups, etc - then watch it yourself and compare it with youtube vids of people dunking, etc, or whatever style. Other than that, I think this is just a temporary roadblock and once you find out whats going wrong, you should be able to improve.

crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crppleman51 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by thaphoenix View Post
    i just started plyos, but still the gainbs iwouldhave to make to accomplish anything are just completely urealistic
    '
    and yes i did some 8 week plyo program in the summer and am currently doing the vjb. By the way i am 22% body fat
    bf% is a major factor, if you drop to ten and below itl be like putting down 25 pounds and then jumping

qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000)
    ^^^^i agree, but im probably around 15% the exact same weight and height of this guy except i can dunk... but i can also squat more so who knows, everybody is an individual, the guy who said to re-evaluate i think has given the best advice, try mixing up your training... best of luck
    Off-Season Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120401851

Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity

Citius, Altius, Fortius

roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    technique is more important than a little fat...trust me. I went from being a 1 foot jumper not touching the rim (i couldn't get of the ground off 2), to a two foot jumper two hand dunking by watching endless dunk videos on youtube. there is no way to explain how to jump, you have to see it.
    One footer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L26Ys0DayJM
    two footer (there are tons tdub, air up there, justin darlington) but i like this guy because he shows white guys can get up and there is great slow-mo of good technique:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gocFB1qIFSg

edit: i just say he is 22%, thats 44 pounds holding you down dude. get that to about 10% and you will and 5+ inches guaranteed.
    Last edited by roid_monkey; 01-17-2008 at 10:48 PM.
    Negs current month join date's on sight crew

thank you all for shining light into my abyss
    (no emo)

farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    technique
    olympic lifts
    over head presses
    atg squats
    jump squats
    bounding
    power skips
    depth jumps

QuicksandATL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) QuicksandATL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) QuicksandATL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) QuicksandATL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) QuicksandATL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) QuicksandATL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) QuicksandATL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) QuicksandATL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) QuicksandATL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) QuicksandATL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) QuicksandATL has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Do the beginner VJB plyos also?
    Matt Ryan is the truth.

There are some ideas so wrong that only a very intelligent person could believe them. -George Orwell

I rape back (300+) (put 300+ in your comment)

R/P UPCC 4 LYFE

ran31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im six foot and can dunk.

Most of jumping is technique. I jump off two feet because i have weak ankles. Jumping off 2feet is all about how you plant(light on your feet) and how using your arms for momentum.Jumping off 1foot you get you momentum from how you raise your knee and lead arm.

As far as lifting goes, cleans are probally the best thing you can do. They work the whole body(in a jumping motion)

But what helps with technique is propper training and stretching. Lunges, bleachers, sprints, squat jumps, jump ropes, and various other exercises.

It all depends on how much your willing to work for it. Some people are blessed with good genes and abillities, other have to work for it.
    "Do it for you"

Originally Posted by quicksand.gfx View Post
    Do the beginner VJB plyos also?
    yeah i am on it plus the novice weights

ShopBoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    well do you know if your a right, left ro 2 footed jumper? I can dunk like mad off my left but with 2 feet, I can only grab rim with both hands.
    Current Stats:

Late 07
    Weight - 165 - Goal 180+ somehow by the end of summer 08
    Squats - 300
    Bench - 200
    HJ - 6"0
    Long Jump - 19"0
    Vertical - 31 in.

Feb 08 (Updates)

Weight - 170
    Bench - 220

i'd say 2 foot, beacuse off 1 i just get net