Lifting Heavy!!! Scarl3tbutt3rfly's Avatar
    Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Buying a full cage or a half cage

I am looking into buying a power rack. I had been researching them for sometime. I had originally planned on going with the Powertec Power rack

http://www.fitnesszone.com/Merchant2...owereracko.jpg

I went looking around town, and no one had a full cage power rack, but ran across a couple of half cages, one by Keys and another by Nautilus

http://www.afitnessparadise.com/images/nt1830.jpg

My question is, would I be better off going with a full cage as opposed to a half. Are there more safety concerns with a half cage. The Nautilus half cage also comes with a Smith attachment (so you can use or not use the smith if you want) I kinda like the idea of having a smith available should I want it, but then again, am I losing something with not having a full cage available?

Also is the quality of Powertec good, or am I better off going with the Nautilus unit? The guy at the fitness store I went to, said he had never heard of Powertec and Nautilus was quality and they invented the power rack. He didnt seem like a pushy sales person or anything either. I just could use some advice on this. It is alot of money and dont want to regret my decision. Any help is appreciated. Thanks so much.
    You focus your mind to train your body, and the changes that begin to take place impact your mind as well. Dream it, believe it, and you will achieve it. ~Arnold Schwarzenegger, The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding, 1998

Music is holy, Art is sacred, and Creativity is power

Vote for me! Vitrix Model Search-Vote HERE!!: http://www.vitrixmodelteam.com/index.php?option=com_modelsearch&controller=contestant&userid=233&filter_contest=14&Itemid=142#photoid=1938

KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    A full cage is safer when you do barbell squat.

For open racks i prefer the ones with gun rack like the Bodysolid model :

http://fitnessfactory.com/Item.aspx?...oor+Protectors

hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by KSA View Post
    A full cage is safer when you do barbell squat.

For open racks i prefer the ones with gun rack like the Bodysolid model :

http://fitnessfactory.com/Item.aspx?...oor+Protectors
    I've got the exact same rack and with 440 on it, it was still very sturdy. I like the feeling of the half rack simply because I don't feel cramped when doing things like jerks and push presses. A full cage would be safer for me, as I lift alone, but I'm yet to get myself into any trouble with the half rack.

The powertec rack is a favorite in these forums, so while I haven't used I'm sure it's very solid. You also won't have to pay for the Nautilus name.
    Let me live deep while I live; let me know the rich juices of red meat and battle when the blue blades flame and crimson, and I am content. - Conan

Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I workout alone alot as well, which is why Im sorta concerned. I do like the Nautilus machine, and I thought I could always add the pec deck later if I wanted. I dont think the powertec one has a pec deck.

Anyone who has the powertec model. Is it pretty sturdy and quality built as well? Or do people get it more often because it is less expensive?
    You focus your mind to train your body, and the changes that begin to take place impact your mind as well. Dream it, believe it, and you will achieve it. ~Arnold Schwarzenegger, The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding, 1998

Vote for me! Vitrix Model Search-Vote HERE!!: http://www.vitrixmodelteam.com/index.php?option=com_modelsearch&controller=contestant&userid=233&filter_contest=14&Itemid=142#photoid=1938

void11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) void11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) void11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) void11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) void11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) void11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) void11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) void11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) void11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) void11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) void11 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think for most people, a decent full cage power rack offers a better value. For the money you save, you can buy some Olympic plates, decent bench, etc. Powertec is a trusted brand and that power rack is a good one. Most people will never lift heavy enough to require anything sturdier.

I workout alone alot as well, which is why Im sorta concerned. I do like the Nautilus machine, and I thought I could always add the pec deck later if I wanted. I dont think the powertec one has a pec deck.

Anyone who has the powertec model. Is it pretty sturdy and quality built as well? Or do people get it more often because it is less expensive?

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    A half rack is not a problem
    if you are looking at one with a smith also, you can alternate squats outside with hack squat on the smith
    somehow I don't see you falling over backwards with a 400lb squat bar on your back, most people lose it forward or backward at the bottom
    so if you set your stops properly, at your size you can stay over the support arms
    we use the HS half cage at my gym as it is the only one with adjustable arms that raise to the bottom of my squat depth
    you may want to look at the one picutred, the BS 7 series system with lat and pec dec if you will be wanting that, usually cheaper to get it altogether in a package
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads