andy404040 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

is 6 days a week too much?

hello,

i'm 18, a freshman in college....presently i'm lifting 6 days a week...for an example here what i did the past week.

monday-legs
    tuesday-chest/tricep
    wednesday-back/bicep
    thursday-shoulders
    friday-legs
    sat-chest/tricep
    sun-off

then on monday i would start back over with back/bicep because that is what is next on my list.

i have been reading that muscles grow at rest and need at least 48-72 hours of recovery...theroretically i have that here but i am wondering if i am overtraining....

also, is what i am doing here good for trying to get a little bit bigger...keeping in my mind that i have to prepare for a college baseball season in the spring which means i have been doing abs/running sprints almost daily?

Registered User the iron addict's Avatar
    the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000)
    Unless your conditioning is EXTREMELY good, yes. There are plenty of guys that do great on 6 day a week routines, BUT.....they have usually been lifting for 5-20 years or are involved in athletics at the university level at least.

At your stage of the game there is just no reason for it. Start with 3-4 days and SLOWLY add from there. Everyone grows while training within their abilty to recouperate, better to start with something that works and add onto it over time as opoosed to something that doesn't and end up discouraged.

Iron Addict

andy404040 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i am involved in college baseball at the division II level

Registered User the iron addict's Avatar
    the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000)
    And what is your overall condioning level like? If you can run a mile and a half at a good clip without feeling beat to hell, you are a good candidate for a bit more volume and frequency than joe average. And BTW, while that may not seem like much, TONS of lifters almost need to call 911 after a mile and a half run, sad, but true.

Iron Addict

GOP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GOP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GOP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GOP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GOP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GOP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GOP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GOP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GOP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GOP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GOP will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by andy404040
    i am involved in college baseball at the division II level
    I do the exact same split that you do (first time I have ever seen someone do the system I am on, although we might use different exercises), and I workout 6 days a week also. I have been making great gains, and I think you should be fine.

My Dad has used the split for about 20 years, and he usually only takes a break every 2-3 weeks (and up until he tore his rotator cuff, he was benching 275 x 12 at 48 years old), so I think you will be fine, especially since you play D2 baseball. Whether or not it is good for size mostly depends on the rep ranges, 1-5 is good for strength, 6-12 is good for hypertrophy (mass). I usually do a 12, 8, 5 rep range, or if I do 5 sets, then I do 12, 10, 8, 5, 3.

Of course, everyone is different, so listen to your body and don't let one of us tell you whether you are overtraining or not, you are the only one who can tell and you would know if you were.

GOP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GOP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GOP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GOP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GOP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GOP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GOP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GOP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GOP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GOP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GOP will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by the iron addict
    And what is your overall condioning level like? If you can run a mile and a half at a good clip without feeling beat to hell, you are a good candidate for a bit more volume and frequency than joe average. And BTW, while that may not seem like much, TONS of lifters almost need to call 911 after a mile and a half run, sad, but true.

Iron Addict
    Lifting and cardio are very different, obviously. I honestly don't see how being in great cardio condition has anything to do with your body recovering from a workout. I am in good to very good cardio condition, but I will say that I could never make it on a D2 baseball team.

After 3 days, your body is fully recovered. Now, I can see the reasoning behind taken a day off a week and a week off every 10-12 weeks, but I don't see the point in only working out 3-4 times a week. With the split that we are on, it simply wont be enough to get the optimum gains. That would be equal to only working your legs out every 6 days (or working them once a week).

bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by andy404040
    hello,

i'm 18, a freshman in college....presently i'm lifting 6 days a week...for an example here what i did the past week.

monday-legs
    tuesday-chest/tricep
    wednesday-back/bicep
    thursday-shoulders
    friday-legs
    sat-chest/tricep
    sun-off

then on monday i would start back over with back/bicep because that is what is next on my list.

i have been reading that muscles grow at rest and need at least 48-72 hours of recovery...theroretically i have that here but i am wondering if i am overtraining....

also, is what i am doing here good for trying to get a little bit bigger...keeping in my mind that i have to prepare for a college baseball season in the spring which means i have been doing abs/running sprints almost daily?
    Myself I like to do 6 day splits, cause I love to workout. I do it differently than you do hough.. I hit most bodyparts once a week except muscles I am trying to bring up then I hit them twice.
    You can do it no problem if you keep the duration of your workouts short (35 to 45 minutes) and eat properly....