pars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

best cardio for low back pain

I've been off the gym for 4 months for low back pain.
    Recently I started doing some exercises with light weights with accent on abs/lower back. I'm dying to do some cardio though, although I'm not sure I'm ready yet.
    What type of cardio you think is most suitable to start with?
    Citius, Altus, Fortius

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    well i dont know whats wrong with your back, so i'd clear anything with the doctor/physio first. having said that i would think swimming may be your best bet

jocularric is a name known to all. (+5000) jocularric is a name known to all. (+5000) jocularric is a name known to all. (+5000) jocularric is a name known to all. (+5000) jocularric is a name known to all. (+5000) jocularric is a name known to all. (+5000) jocularric is a name known to all. (+5000) jocularric is a name known to all. (+5000) jocularric is a name known to all. (+5000) jocularric is a name known to all. (+5000) jocularric is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by tetsuo
    clear anything with the doctor/physio first.
    But having been there I recommend walking along with the exercises your doctor prescribes.

I was amazed how suddenly I became aware of the many muscles involved in that simple act of walking. And how they work together. It's like a symphony that plays in the background. Most of the time we don't notice it but it's there.
    You can play the game or live the adventure.

Goals--To be able to do the following exercises:
    Front Lever Pull-ups
    Planche Push-ups
    Muscle Ups
    Human Flag

Rhyalus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rhyalus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a herniated disk in my spine.

I would say the eliptical is your best choice, but you did not indicate what you are trying to accomplish.

For fat burning, the low intensity eliptical is the way to go. You could increase the difficulty to get the heart rate up, but you might be better off with the stair master if *cardio* is really what you are trying to do.

Regards,
    R

dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

I have degenerative disk disease

I have a problem with going to the grocery store. Within 5 to 10 min my legs go numb and I have to either find a seat so I won't fall down or I have to bend over to realease the pressure on my spine or my nerves whatever is causing it.

I started out walking in my fat zone heart rate level and I can go longer walking on a treadmill than I can in a store. But lately within 5 min on the treadmill my right leg is numb and I have to grab the handrails and bend over. I keep walking and the numbness goes away for a short while. In a 30 min walk I probably have to bend over 6 times.

I can do eith bike without any back pain but I don't like the bike.

I cannot do elipticle, stairmaster, the skiing machine, or any other machine without pain and or numbness except one.

THE ROWING MACHINE!!!!!!!! I got a tip from a guy on here once to try rowing. Heck I never see anyone at my gym rowing. So at least I have never had to wait on it. I absolutely love rowing. I feel it all over my entire body. Chest, arms, abs, back, legs. There is no pain at all not even after I am done. I will be a rower for life. I will always recommend rowing to anyone.

AllNaturalTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllNaturalTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllNaturalTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllNaturalTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllNaturalTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllNaturalTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllNaturalTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllNaturalTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllNaturalTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllNaturalTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) AllNaturalTom will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    swimming for sure . if your back problem is disc related , the decompression will actually help

scamander is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scamander is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scamander is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scamander is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scamander is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scamander is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scamander is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scamander is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scamander is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scamander is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scamander is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've had lower back pain so I know how frustrating it is.

A few thoughts on swimming - I'm unsure if it will help the lower back much as (a) few folk actually swim hard, they just float and assume this is enough (b) you can put some pressure on the lower back from breast-stroke swimming.

I'd cite spinning as a good exercise. A good spin class will help with cardio, though you'll need to ensure you stretch your glutes as if these get tight they can pull on the lower back.

Good luck whatever you do.

Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gls133 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You may want to try Tai Chi

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by pars View Post
    I've been off the gym for 4 months for low back pain.
    Recently I started doing some exercises with light weights with accent on abs/lower back. I'm dying to do some cardio though, although I'm not sure I'm ready yet.
    What type of cardio you think is most suitable to start with?
    As Joc stated, walking has been show to help with back pain.

Walking Could Help Ease Lower Back Pain, Study Finds
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2838560.html

Another movement is...

Reverse Hyperextension – A Great Back Exercise To Start With
    http://endyourbackpainnow.com/blog/r...to-start-with/

Some types of low back pain are cause by tight hamstrings.

In this case, stretching the hamstrings and exercises that stretch the hamstrings can be effective in this situation. Thus, Good Mornings and Stiff Leg Deadlifts (Slight bend in knees) can help.

The key is to start with an extremely low weight and work up.

With all this said, it's hard to know what to suggest without more information.

Kenny Croxdale
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.