Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    ExtraUltra will become famous soon enough. (+50) ExtraUltra will become famous soon enough. (+50) ExtraUltra will become famous soon enough. (+50) ExtraUltra will become famous soon enough. (+50) ExtraUltra will become famous soon enough. (+50) ExtraUltra will become famous soon enough. (+50) ExtraUltra will become famous soon enough. (+50) ExtraUltra will become famous soon enough. (+50) ExtraUltra will become famous soon enough. (+50) ExtraUltra will become famous soon enough. (+50) ExtraUltra will become famous soon enough. (+50)

ExtraUltra's Olympic Weightlifting Journal

Welcome to my new journal. On Monday, December 5, 2005 I will officially begin my journey to the Utah Summer Games in 2008. Hopefully, I can get some help from Glenn Pendlay in Wichita Falls, TX to get me ready. I have no particular talent for weightlifting other than determination and guts. I'm too tall, too lanky, too old, and my back is too crooked to ever be truly competitive, but I don't care. I'm still going to do it and go all the way with it.

So, the rest of you skinny bastards out there feel free to follow along and offer your support and I will certainly do everything I can to help anyone who is interested in o-lifting or just getting strong in general.

The plan is to start simple, using single factor beginner principles to establish a foundation. Over time, I will adjust my training to meet the demands of my body and my goals. Here is the layout I will start with. It is copied straight out of Glenn's sample beginner program posted on his website: http://www.wichitafallsweightlifting.com/

Monday:
    20 Snatches
    10 Clean/Jerks
    3x3 Front Squats
    Glute/Ham Raise
    Abdominal Exercise

Wednesday:
    Snatch up to 1 heavy single
    C/J up to 1 heavy single
    5x5 Olympic Squats
    Hyperextension
    Abdominal Exercise

Friday:
    20 Hang Snatches
    20 C/J
    3x5 Overhead Squats
    Glute/Ham Raise
    Abdominal Exercise

As I become accustomed to this routine, I will add a press and pull to each workout. At least the first couple weeks will be exactly as described above, and we'll go from there.

PR's will generally be made on Wednesday and posted in my PR journal here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=639875

Anyone who wants to post their PRs there is welcome as long as they PM me first (Just to keep out the trolls and bull****ters).

Also, I'm hoping that Glenn will have his website www.glennpendlay.com up and running soon so I can get direct coaching from him. If you want to know more about the top olympic lifting coach in the US, here are some links to interviews he has done. He is really an amazing person, and any time you have a chance to learn from him, you should take it very seriously. Also, I included a link to Matt's interview with Mark Rippetoe, who works with Glenn and trained with Bill Starr.
    http://www.readthecore.com/200503/re...nn-pendlay.htm
    http://www.readthecore.com/200507/trenches.htm
    http://www.readthecore.com/200510/markr.htm

Happy reading, and I'll see you all soon.
    Last edited by ExtraUltra; 12-02-2005 at 01:53 PM. Reason: It was Machine's fault :p
    God gave us squats so we wouldn't need steroids.

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145363161

young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    "SUBSCRIBES" Ill be sure to follow this one 100%, good luck.
    New 5/3/1 Strength Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152156313&p=1031620863#post1031620863

ExtraUltra will become famous soon enough. (+50) ExtraUltra will become famous soon enough. (+50) ExtraUltra will become famous soon enough. (+50) ExtraUltra will become famous soon enough. (+50) ExtraUltra will become famous soon enough. (+50) ExtraUltra will become famous soon enough. (+50) ExtraUltra will become famous soon enough. (+50) ExtraUltra will become famous soon enough. (+50) ExtraUltra will become famous soon enough. (+50) ExtraUltra will become famous soon enough. (+50) ExtraUltra will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by young_squatter
    "SUBSCRIBES" Ill be sure to follow this one 100%, good luck.
    Awesome, I was hoping you would come on board. You are also free to post your records in my PR journal. I want to see some big numbers from you soon!

young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Alright thanks, ill do that, and am looking forward to see even bigger things from you.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152156313&p=1031620863#post1031620863

themachine78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themachine78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themachine78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themachine78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themachine78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themachine78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themachine78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themachine78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themachine78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Sup EU.

I'm confused though... Monday you're doing "snathes".... is this some new cool exercise that I'm not aware of? If so, fill me in so I can get hyoge!

subscribed of course.
    Here's some light reading to get you to sleep:

[url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=467478[/url]

Originally Posted by themachine78
    Sup EU.

I'm confused though... Monday you're doing "snathes".... is this some new cool exercise that I'm not aware of? If so, fill me in so I can get hyoge!

subscribed of course.
    goddammit.

Edit: I invented snathes and I'm not telling.
    Last edited by ExtraUltra; 12-03-2005 at 10:06 AM.

Olympic Platform

Ok, I finished building my platform tonight. Check it out (shown with me and my new squat stands and sweet ass olympic weight set). And this is in my basement, bitches! God damn, I love my basement...
    Attached Images

I also got a new scale today that was recommended to me by some guys on midwest barbell. It's a "Health o Meter" and it seems to be much more accurate than my old one. I'll update my weight in the morning, and I have a feeling I'm only going to be around 241 lb. Peace.

mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000)
    *subscribes*

Awesome journal so far, olympic lifting is very interesting to me. I'll be following this one for sure

Nice basement man, thats freaking awesome. How much did that whole thing cost you?

Nice basement man, thats freaking awesome. How much did that whole thing cost you?
    That's just one corner of it. I've invested around $11,000 down there so far in the last year. Here's a list of my resources:

Smith Machine and Half Cage Power Rack
    High and Low Pulleys with every imaginable pulley attachment and Pec Deck
    300 lb weight stack for pulleys
    Just over 1000 lb of cast plates
    Complete 100 lb dumbell set and 10 ft 3 tier rack .
    2 olympic dumbbell handles and collars for >100 lb dbs.
    Octane Q45E Elliptical Machine
    Adjustable decline to vertical bench with leg ext/curl and preacher.
    Leg Press Sled convertible to Hack Squat
    Chin/Dip/VKR station
    Glute/Ham bench
    *New* Home made 8' x 8' oly platform
    *New* Complete zhangkong bumper set with certified bar and collars.

Damn, I've never listed it all like that. You should see the look on people's faces when the walk in there. I also have a 9' ceiling in my basement so I can put weight over my head without hitting the ceiling. That makes me look kind of short in the picture but if you realize that the platform is 8' x 8' you can see how tall I am.
    Last edited by ExtraUltra; 12-03-2005 at 09:48 AM.

Essen Mein Scheiße!!! IGotsSmallBalls's Avatar
    IGotsSmallBalls is on a distinguished road. (+10) IGotsSmallBalls is on a distinguished road. (+10) IGotsSmallBalls is on a distinguished road. (+10) IGotsSmallBalls is on a distinguished road. (+10) IGotsSmallBalls is on a distinguished road. (+10) IGotsSmallBalls is on a distinguished road. (+10) IGotsSmallBalls is on a distinguished road. (+10) IGotsSmallBalls is on a distinguished road. (+10) IGotsSmallBalls is on a distinguished road. (+10) IGotsSmallBalls is on a distinguished road. (+10) IGotsSmallBalls is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    badass setup. ill be watching... but not posting
    Whoopty Whoopty Whoo!

Originally Posted by IGotsSmallBalls
    badass setup. ill be watching... but not posting
    lol

I weighed myself this morning after my morning evacuation and was 241.6 lb on my new scale. Kind of disappointing but accuracy is more important than ego.

Originally Posted by mike_d
    *subscribes*

Awesome journal so far, olympic lifting is very interesting to me. I'll be following this one for sure
    Thanks a lot. I'm glad to see you guys on here.

Talking

Dude your basement would be like heaven if I walked in it. That is awesome that you have a home gym, LITERALLY. Thats what im going to do when im older. Good investment.

kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

lol wow looking all set to go haha. this routine gonna tax ur CNS lke ****. i wont doubt that u ll puke haha. but always a gd start
    live strong, be strong

Originally Posted by kingcarlos
    lol wow looking all set to go haha. this routine gonna tax ur CNS lke ****. i wont doubt that u ll puke haha. but always a gd start
    Long time no see, KC. Thanks for stopping by. I hope to see you on here some more.

If I puke on my platform I'll take a picture for you

mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

Dude your basement would be like heaven if I walked in it. That is awesome that you have a home gym, LITERALLY. Thats what im going to do when im older. Good investment.
    Hes not kidding. GREAT setup you got there ExtraUltra. Invite me over sometime

Hes not kidding. GREAT setup you got there ExtraUltra. Invite me over sometime
    If you're ever in BFE, err....Utah, let me know

Originally Posted by ExtraUltra
    If you're ever in BFE, err....Utah, let me know
    haha, sounds good

kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000) kingcarlos is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Long time no see, KC. Thanks for stopping by. I hope to see you on here some more.

If I puke on my platform I'll take a picture for you
    lol hail to the puke king then
    live strong, be strong

Thumbs up

Week 1 -- Monday

Snatch 45 kg x 20 singles
    Clean/Jerk 55 kg x 10 singles
    Front Squat 65 kg 3x3
    Glute/Ham Raise BW X 12
    Hanging Leg Raise BW X 15

First time ever doing snatches and they felt pretty good. I've watched a ton of tape on them so I have done them in my head about a thousand times. It felt pretty natural. Not real heavy but I need to work on position and explosion.

I haven't been this sweaty in a long, long time. This is one ball bustin workout. Also, the most fun I've had in a long time. Oh, and the platform turned out great. It was fun dropping weight on it .

Week 1 -- Monday

Front Squat 65 kg 3x3
    Glute/Ham Raise BW X 12

First time ever doing snatches and they felt pretty good. I've watched a ton of tape on them so I have done them in my head about a thousand times. It felt pretty natural. Not real heavy but I need to work on position and explosion.

I haven't been this sweaty in a long, long time. This is one ball bustin workout. Also, the most fun I've had in a long time. Oh, and the platform turned out great. It was fun dropping weight on it .
    Awesome workout!

Cant wait to follow your progress with this, you have an awesome setup. Glute/Ham bench is on my short-term list of things to buy since my gym doesnt have one. Where did you get yours out of curiousity?

Awesome workout bro, thanks for all the help. Keep it up.

Awesome workout!

Cant wait to follow your progress with this, you have an awesome setup. Glute/Ham bench is on my short-term list of things to buy since my gym doesnt have one. Where did you get yours out of curiousity?
    I just looked it up on froogle. It's one of those Yukons and cost $200 with shipping included. It works great, even for a tall guy like me.

Awesome workout bro, thanks for all the help. Keep it up.
    Thanks, YS.

Celltechfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Celltechfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Celltechfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Celltechfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Celltechfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Celltechfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Celltechfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Celltechfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Celltechfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Celltechfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Celltechfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Week 1 -- Monday

Front Squat 65 kg 3x3
    Glute/Ham Raise BW X 12

very good workout. numbers starting to progress. ur explosive strength is gonna be awsome soon. unusual btw for a yank to give his numbers in kg

damn this is gonna be sick lol. i ve already set goal for u. 100kg for clean and jerk hha
    live strong, be strong

themachine78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themachine78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themachine78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themachine78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themachine78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themachine78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themachine78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themachine78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themachine78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can I live in your closet?

I cook and clean, and would be an excellent addition to your gym basement.

I want to start doing more Olympic lifts, as you said they're fun. Stupid old ladies at the Y, already freaking about having to watch me deadlift, can't imagine a jerk in front of them.
    Here's some light reading to get you to sleep:

[url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=467478[/url]