Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    andre_t.o. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre_t.o. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre_t.o. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre_t.o. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre_t.o. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre_t.o. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre_t.o. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre_t.o. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre_t.o. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre_t.o. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre_t.o. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Working out after drinking the night before

A friend told me that working out the day after you drank the night before is useless. He says that drinking alcohol lowers your testosterone levels and thus you won't build a lot of muscles the next day....Is that true?
    and if yes even, if you're perfectly sober the next day?
    im asking because i drink a lot of alcohol very often...
    Last edited by andre_t.o.; 12-30-2007 at 04:57 AM. Reason: mistake...

Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have tried drinking and training the day after and it usually didn't go well especially if I drank a lot. Of course there is a big difference between drinking 4 beers and a large bottle of vodka so it depends.

If a lifter is going to drink a lot, train before you drink and plan the next day off training.

LungeManiac will become famous soon enough. (+50) LungeManiac will become famous soon enough. (+50) LungeManiac will become famous soon enough. (+50) LungeManiac will become famous soon enough. (+50) LungeManiac will become famous soon enough. (+50) LungeManiac will become famous soon enough. (+50) LungeManiac will become famous soon enough. (+50) LungeManiac will become famous soon enough. (+50) LungeManiac will become famous soon enough. (+50) LungeManiac will become famous soon enough. (+50) LungeManiac will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The following morning after drinking the body is still eliminating the waste by products of alcohol through the liver. Those alcohol by products are circulating through the blood stream and making a person feel like ****. How can anyone concentrate and give a 100 percent effort working out if they have a hangover? The answer is no. Clear your mind and body first and then hit the weights again.

tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000)
    one word answer: c'mon.

the alcohol has eliminated your testosterone so the lifting is pointless???

give me a break.

the science guys on this forum always seem to get the last word in, so here is me trying to level it out:

go lift.

yes drinking is bad for you, yes many do it anyway, yes you probably will continue to do it anyway too.

personally when I am hungover and hit the gym and get a nice sweat going I feel a million times better. I would take an intense set of heavy squats over an aspirin to cure that headache any day.

I am sure I will be declared an idiot for this reply but I have to call bs when I see it. I mean you already let your body down by throwing booze at it, why disappoint it more by skipping your workout? And besides, lifting weights is fun, so go have some fun.

just my opinion, do what you feel is best.
    Last edited by tradertrader; 12-30-2007 at 07:05 AM.

LungeManiac will become famous soon enough. (+50) LungeManiac will become famous soon enough. (+50) LungeManiac will become famous soon enough. (+50) LungeManiac will become famous soon enough. (+50) LungeManiac will become famous soon enough. (+50) LungeManiac will become famous soon enough. (+50) LungeManiac will become famous soon enough. (+50) LungeManiac will become famous soon enough. (+50) LungeManiac will become famous soon enough. (+50) LungeManiac will become famous soon enough. (+50) LungeManiac will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by tradertrader View Post
    one word answer: c'mon.

the alcohol has eliminated your testosterone so the lifting is pointless???

give me a break.

the science guys on this forum always seem to get the last word in, so here is me trying to level it out:

go lift.

yes drinking is bad for you, yes many do it anyway, yes you probably will continue to do it anyway too.

personally when I am hungover and hit the gym and get a nice sweat going I feel a million times better. I would take an intense set of heavy squats over an aspirin to cure that headache any day.

I am sure I will be declared an idiot for this reply but I have to call bs when I see it. I mean you already let your body down by throwing booze at it, why disappoint it more by skipping your workout? And besides, lifting weights is fun, so go have some fun.

just my opinion, do what you feel is best.
    Yeah, that's a great strategy. Go ahead and hoist hundreds of lbs of weight while you still have garbage flowing through your veins. That sure seems like a recipe for disaster to me. Use common sense, man.

(IMO) never lift weights with a hangover. It can be very dangerous. Waiting a day or two until you fully recover seems like a no brainer to me. Safety first!

tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000)

Talking

I agree safety first, and if I was really 'sick' from drinking I would stay in bed.

But I am just trying to express the view that some people think too much about the details and ignore the big picture.

Drinking is fun, lifting is fun, feeling like you're going to puke if you do another set but doing the set anyway is fun...

train to be tough

(or do whatever you want aha certainly do not put a bar on your back if you cant stand up straight!)

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by andre_t.o. View Post
    A friend told me that working out the day after you drank the night before is useless. He says that drinking alcohol lowers your testosterone levels and thus you won't build a lot of muscles the next day....Is that true?
    and if yes even, if you're perfectly sober the next day?
    im asking because i drink a lot of alcohol very often...
    If you feel fine the day after drinking there is absolutely nothing wrong with working out. The temporarily lowered test levels have zero impact on muscle growth. Muscle growth isnt a one day deal. lowered test for a day or two is not going to change development in any way.

most of the **** feelings from drinking are from being dehydrated, not from the byproducts of alcohol metabolism.. your body processes and clears one drink per hour.. so unless you drank ridiculous amounts, by the time you wake up your body is clear of alcohol and its toxins.. however, the withdrawl symptoms can last a day or longer.
    The body is lazy, unless you give it a reason to grow it won't

Tho I walk thru the valley of the shadow of Death I shall fear no evil, for I am the baddest motherf*cker in the valley

I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds - Henry Rollins

NASM-CPT-CES
    Nutrition Coach

andre_t.o. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre_t.o. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre_t.o. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre_t.o. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre_t.o. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre_t.o. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre_t.o. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre_t.o. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre_t.o. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre_t.o. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre_t.o. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yea ok and how about drinking VODKA while actually working out??
    sounds like a great deal to me, because you combine the fun of drinking and the fun of lifting. Somebody told me alcohol is better than protein for muscle growth if taken in while exercising...

FreeWheeling has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FreeWheeling has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FreeWheeling has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FreeWheeling has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FreeWheeling has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FreeWheeling has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FreeWheeling has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FreeWheeling has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FreeWheeling has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FreeWheeling has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FreeWheeling has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by andre_t.o. View Post
    yea ok and how about drinking VODKA while actually working out??
    sounds like a great deal to me, because you combine the fun of drinking and the fun of lifting. Somebody told me alcohol is better than protein for muscle growth if taken in while exercising...
    Negged

FreeWheeling has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FreeWheeling has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FreeWheeling has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FreeWheeling has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FreeWheeling has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FreeWheeling has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FreeWheeling has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FreeWheeling has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FreeWheeling has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FreeWheeling has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FreeWheeling has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    The hardest thing I ever drink is water.

Drinking alcohol is stupid for so many reasons.

Why would anyone go to all the trouble to work out so that they can look and feel good. Then do the exact opposite and drink alcohol with all its negative effects on the body.

When I go to parties with my friends I drink soft drinks and set a higher example for the inebriated people there.

Alcoholics fool themselves into believing they need alcohol to have fun. In reality they are sad people who need a crutch like alcohol to cope because they have low self esteem. I can have a good time by displaying my personality, charm, good looks, and sparkling wit. I don't need a cocktail or a beer in my hand to look like a man. All I need is my flex appeal.
    Last edited by FreeWheeling; 12-30-2007 at 10:15 AM.

Originally Posted by FreeWheeling View Post
    I can have a good time by displaying my personality, charm, good looks, and sparkling wit.

All I need is my flex appeal.
    Might this be a somewhat accurate pic of you?

BTW - Gag me with a spoon!

captain_swole will become famous soon enough. (+50) captain_swole will become famous soon enough. (+50) captain_swole will become famous soon enough. (+50) captain_swole will become famous soon enough. (+50) captain_swole will become famous soon enough. (+50) captain_swole will become famous soon enough. (+50) captain_swole will become famous soon enough. (+50) captain_swole will become famous soon enough. (+50) captain_swole will become famous soon enough. (+50) captain_swole will become famous soon enough. (+50) captain_swole will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by LungeManiac View Post

WTF is this?

Way too much broscience in here.

iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Try reading these articles.. alcohol has effects on bodybuilding that can last up to a week after you last drank..

The first link goes to article about alcohols basic effects

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/article...bStone/alcohol

The link below goes to the next series about alcohols effect on body compositition, specifically related to bodybuilders.

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/article...allycorrrectll

I found this information very good to know..

Originally Posted by LungeManiac View Post

STFU Lunge Lizard !!!

You'll be on my douche bag list next !!!!

Dhanesh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i used to go out drinking most saturday nights, but had leg day the next. Before i went to bed the night before i would drink 2 pints of water to help hydrate my body, then drink another 2 pints before my workout, and have a weight gain shake for energy. My workouts used to be very productive, and i used to squat with real vigour. I always thought to myself that it wud be better go to the gym than not at all.

But i dont drink that often now anyway, maybe twice a month. its not worth it, pissing your money away, and your gains.

i have the weekends off now, for recuperation.
    Stats:
    Age 27
    Height: 5ft 11"
    Weight: 180lbs
    Bodyfat: 15%

amplitude486 is on a distinguished road. (+10) amplitude486 is on a distinguished road. (+10) amplitude486 is on a distinguished road. (+10) amplitude486 is on a distinguished road. (+10) amplitude486 is on a distinguished road. (+10) amplitude486 is on a distinguished road. (+10) amplitude486 is on a distinguished road. (+10) amplitude486 is on a distinguished road. (+10) amplitude486 is on a distinguished road. (+10) amplitude486 is on a distinguished road. (+10) amplitude486 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Back when I drank I simply could not lift the next day. Even if I didn't even drink that much the night before, I could barely lift my max and I just wasn't focused enough. I'm sure this has happened to plenty of people.

xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Why would anyone go to all the trouble to work out so that they can look and feel good. Then do the exact opposite and drink alcohol with all its negative effects on the body.

Alcoholics fool themselves into believing they need alcohol to have fun. In reality they are sad people who need a crutch like alcohol to cope because they have low self esteem...
    Drinking doesn't always mean "going to a frat party and getting ****faced."

I often have a beer after work, or a glass of wine or 2 with a good dinner out. It has nothing to do with low self-esteem or needing a crutch -- it just tasted good and can be relaxing.

No need to judge those who enjoy things you don't.

*edit: just realized that your last paragraph dealt only with alcoholics, but still think the rest of your post is way too judgmental towards the casual drinker.

ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    manly men drink beer PWO.... just sayin'

Originally Posted by xMichaelx View Post
    Drinking doesn't always mean "going to a frat party and getting ****faced."

I often have a beer after work, or a glass of wine or 2 with a good dinner out. It has nothing to do with low self-esteem or needing a crutch -- it just tasted good and can be relaxing.

No need to judge those who enjoy things you don't.

*edit: just realized that your last paragraph dealt only with alcoholics, but still think the rest of your post is way too judgmental towards the casual drinker.
    To each their own, man. I've just been around too many alcoholics in my life time. I'm soured to alcohol. Enjoy your potent potables. I hope you don't end up in the drunk tank one day with a D.U.I. Many people think they can handle alcohol. It's a slow insidious disease which many think they can control until its too late. Be careful!

And ChingChang drinking beer has nothing to do with being manly. Being a man is all about responsibility which includes earning a living and taking care of your family. You are obviously very immature.

mridgley is on a distinguished road. (+10) mridgley is on a distinguished road. (+10) mridgley is on a distinguished road. (+10) mridgley is on a distinguished road. (+10) mridgley is on a distinguished road. (+10) mridgley is on a distinguished road. (+10) mridgley is on a distinguished road. (+10) mridgley is on a distinguished road. (+10) mridgley is on a distinguished road. (+10) mridgley is on a distinguished road. (+10) mridgley is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The hardest thing I ever drink is water.

When I go to parties with my friends I drink soft drinks and set a higher example for the inebriated people there.

Alcoholics fool themselves into believing they need alcohol to have fun. In reality they are sad people who need a crutch like alcohol to cope because they have low self esteem. I can have a good time by displaying my personality, charm, good looks, and sparkling wit. I don't need a cocktail or a beer in my hand to look like a man. All I need is my flex appeal.
    You are a tool... Do they make any sort of crutch for being a tool?

"The best activities for your health are pumping and humping." - Schwarzenegger

Originally Posted by mridgley View Post
    You are a tool... Do they make any sort of crutch for being a tool?
    STFU. I don't f*ucking like drinking. So what?

Why don't you take a one way trip to Uranus and gag on the noxious fumes! I here it stinks in Uranus.

fleezy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fleezy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fleezy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fleezy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fleezy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fleezy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fleezy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fleezy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Just take some no-explode or an energy drink or some other kind of wakemeup and you won't even notice you were drinking the night before.

I drank every night during the summer and I worked out more then than I do now.

fleezy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fleezy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fleezy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fleezy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fleezy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fleezy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fleezy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fleezy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    STFU. I don't f*ucking like drinking. So what?

Why don't you take a one way trip to Uranus and gag on the noxious fumes! I here it stinks in Uranus.
    I can smell your gaping vagina through the internet. Nobody cares you don't drink. Get a life.

Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I take long breaks in between drinking. I notice a huge difference in motivation and strength when i drink. plus i always get huge worrys that all my muscle is going to ****z. im going to get drunk on news tomorrow and then probly stay super sober for atleast a year maybe longer. As a natural tring to gain as must test as i can produce i cant let something like alcohol ruin it for me.

Freezy your head looks like something I clean the toilet out with. You are one ugly f*ucker!!!
    Last edited by FreeWheeling; 12-30-2007 at 04:55 PM.

Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I dont think its pointless to work out the day after drinking, but I definitely think your workout will suffer.
    Blue jays/Spartans/Colts

HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I never understood the appeal of drinking.

Oh well, to each his own.

mroth86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mroth86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mroth86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mroth86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mroth86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mroth86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mroth86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mroth86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mroth86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mroth86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mroth86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    totally useless...i remember once i tried working out maybe 10 hours after i crashed home after having a bunch of alcohol. Luckily i don't drink too much this doesn't have to be a problem

horrible idea, i think i left after 30 minutes

ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChingChang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    [...]

And ChingChang drinking beer has nothing to do with being manly. Being a man is all about responsibility which includes earning a living and taking care of your family. You are obviously very immature.