Tomer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Question Close grip bench press

Hey,
    I've just added close grip bench press to my tricep routine but i'm having problems isolating the tris in this excersize.
    My chest is usually still sore from my chest day and i can feel it burning up when i do the close grip benching.
    I have tried using low weight and really watching my form but still the same problem.
    should i have my elbows close to my sides when bringing the weight down?
    what is the proper form to get the real tricep isolation and use little to no chest
    thanks in advance
    Tomer

asajiro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    wait at least five days between your chest workout, and doing close grip bench presses. another thing you could try is puting your tricep workout after working your chest

Tomer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    well, right now my split is back/chest and arms/shoulders
    it doesn't make sense to wait 5 days because then my tris would be sore for my next chest workout
    Tomer

asajiro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    try doing close grip bench with a reverse grip for your tri's. if that doesn't work give working your chest and tri's on the same day a shot.
    when i was doing close grip bench presses for my tri's, i always felt them in my chest as well, no matter what i did. that's one of the reasons i started working tri's with chest.

right now, this is what my workout looks like

chest, tri's
    off day
    back, bi's
    off day
    shoulders
    off day
    legs

i hope this helps you somewhat

Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I love close grip bench, its brought my lacking tris up to par with my buddy. I do chest/tri's and hitup close grip after my chest workout, it is the first tri exercise I do. I keep my elbows tight to my body and my grip isn't extremely close so that it wont hurt my wrists. I dont really feel a burn in my chest, I use to but my grip was to wide, narrow your grip a bit unless it already is narrow enough. If that doesnt work then load up and EZ curl bar and do it on that, the angle of the grips shouldn't hurt your wrist.

Peace
    Don't quit it just cuz you can't lift it- Farma
    "Wanna get big? stop lookin and start workin!"- Farma
    "Quality not quanity applies to a lot of things; bodybuilding is one of those things" - Farma
    Psalm 23 "Fear No evil!"
    "The O.S.R has begun, we're taken out anyone in the way!!" - Farma

thanks for the advice guys.
    today i held the bar a little closer ( even though i thought i was too close ) decreased weight and really focuse on hitting the triceps. And i got a pretty good burn.
    Robert - the ez curl bar idea is a good one, thanks.
    next week i'll try that
    Tomer

bigobb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    how close is your grip? I've always used thumbs apart, so that my 2 thumbs from my hands touch each other.
    Big O's Teen Bodybuilding Site
    Http://www.bigobb.com

Yosef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    if you felt that your chest is working too,.....simply don't do it
    Yosef

Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000)
    As long as there is weight on your chest then your going to stimulate fiber in your chest. How much depends upon your grip. Wide grip hits more pectoral fiber, close grip depends more upon your triceps doing the action. Either way both muscle groups are involved.
    Today is tri/bi/forearm day for me. Yesterday was chest. I'll feel a bit of a pinch in my sets of close grip. If I'm unusually sore I could pre-fatigue with skull crushers or superset skulls then close grip press.

Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yeah, no matter what the chest will always be involved. Thats why I do it on chest day and make close grip my first tricep exercise.

peace
    Don't quit it just cuz you can't lift it- Farma
    "Wanna get big? stop lookin and start workin!"- Farma
    "Quality not quanity applies to a lot of things; bodybuilding is one of those things" - Farma
    Psalm 23 "Fear No evil!"
    "The O.S.R has begun, we're taken out anyone in the way!!" - Farma

Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Cool

Originally posted by Yosef
    if you felt that your chest is working too,.....simply don't do it
    Disregard this advice..

Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Cool

Where do you go down over? Your chest, higher chest, or stomach.. I don't feel a burn in my chest, cause i go down lower and come up over my eyes.. It works..

big h - i go down to around my nipples just like regular bench press
    next week i'll try going down lower, thanks for the advice
    Tomer

gozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have started doing close grip bench duriing my tricep workout and advice so far has been good. However can someone definitely say whether you are supposed to keep your elbows tucked in or have them pointing outwards when you do it? Thanks

wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by gozz View Post
    I have started doing close grip bench duriing my tricep workout and advice so far has been good. However can someone definitely say whether you are supposed to keep your elbows tucked in or have them pointing outwards when you do it? Thanks
    tucked in
    My Madcow Journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136450181

gozz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by wick View Post
    tucked in
    Cheers wick. Thats good because ive been doing it that way so far so im glad ive been doing it right

Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My workout log ---> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133269973

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by wick View Post
    tucked in
    Absolutely. I prefer a little chest activation as well so I regularly flare out my arms.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Tomer View Post
    Hey,
    I've just added close grip bench press to my tricep routine but i'm having problems isolating the tris in this excersize.
    My chest is usually still sore from my chest day and i can feel it burning up when i do the close grip benching.
    I have tried using low weight and really watching my form but still the same problem.
    should i have my elbows close to my sides when bringing the weight down?
    what is the proper form to get the real tricep isolation and use little to no chest
    thanks in advance
    still keep your elbows close to your torso but as you lower the weight move your hands so that your knuckles get continously closer to your shoulder. your bend the elbow more.

try this. Hold your arms next to your sides and bend your arm so your hands are right at your shoulders. THis is where you want your hands to be when you close grip bench press. its almost like a partial bench press and partial skull crusher.

desolator1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) desolator1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) desolator1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) desolator1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) desolator1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) desolator1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) desolator1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) desolator1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) desolator1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) desolator1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) desolator1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    All I can feel in CGBP is my shoulders if I tuck my hands, on the bottom the upper arm does exactly a front raise. Solution? Or maybe CGBP isn't the right exercise for me?