metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Best accessories to fix the "middle" sticking point on bench press?

The bench press is a lift I regularly struggle with. I've started a cut the last month. Within these past few weeks. I was able to overcome my plateau from my bulk somehow, going from 135 x 3 (something I struggled for months) to 150 lbs x 3. Usually whenever I fail a rep, it's in the halfway point of the press and I am forced to return the bar to the lower pin (not sure if this is common for gyms). My gym only has two squat racks and there is usually a literal line for them so I don't doubt people would be frustrated using the equipment for floor press. Also there isn't any spare benches that I can use for any pin lockouts.

Any decent accessories I can use? I was thinking maybe a spoto press.

Obligatory, "get stronger" incoming.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Louie Simmon's of the Westside powerlifters would probably tell you to work on your speed.
    Half way could tricep lockout strength also.
    Board presses from half way to lockout maybe 2-3 boards.
    Get the triceps stronger.
    JM presses,DB rolling extension could help.
    Right now though your a a beginner with the weights your using.
    Just get you upper body stronger focusing on triceps,shoulders and upper back.

metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    Louie Simmon's of the Westside powerlifters would probably tell you to work on your speed.
    Half way could tricep lockout strength also.
    Board presses from half way to lockout maybe 2-3 boards.
    Get the triceps stronger.
    JM presses,DB rolling extension could help.
    Right now though your a a beginner with the weights your using.
    Just get you upper body stronger focusing on triceps,shoulders and upper back.
    Are poor genetics a real factor or are they just BS? I started lifting seriously for about 2 years (not counting the months where pandemic closed a gym). I started with Starting Strength and I couldn't bench the bar at first- everytime I added 5 lbs, I couldn't achieve my goal sets my first attempt. My first real plateau was around 95 lbs. This was while I bulked from 140 lbs to 160 lbs. I definitely was trying my best since I found myself doing the roll of shame on occasion.

Also definitely agree with triceps, started doing overhead cable extensions and I noticed that lockouts were much easier combined with leg drive.
    Last edited by metallick; 12-01-2020 at 10:49 AM. Reason: triceps

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'd focus on harder variations off the chest, that teach you to generate more tightness and power out of the bottom of the lift.
    3ct pause, chest level pin, even a close grip.

I'd also look at your bar path, you may be pressing to straight and not getting it back towards your face soon enough if it's stalling mid way.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    I'd focus on harder variations off the chest, that teach you to generate more tightness and power out of the bottom of the lift.
    3ct pause, chest level pin, even a close grip.

I'd also look at your bar path, you may be pressing to straight and not getting it back towards your face soon enough if it's stalling mid way.
    It kinda sucks being in a commercial gym since the variety of equipment is rather poor. Mostly just benches, a squat rack or two, and machines.

My bar path is more like a J if that makes any sense. A perfectly straight line might mess my shoulders up.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Certainly poor genetics for any lift can make it more challenging.
    I have long arms not something you don't want for optimal benching but helped on the deadlifts.
    You can't change the way you were born just find the best technique for your body type.
    Back in my day i did a 385 pause BP in powerlifting meet and a 405 touch and go in the gym.
    I'll be honest it took nearly ten years of dedicated training to get to that point.
    Learning all i could and training with guys stronger than me.
    You have to be patient and a goal with lots of little goals on the way.
    Getting a qualified coach or even seasoned powerlifter to look at you set up and technique could help greatly and get you going in the right direction.

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    Certainly poor genetics for any lift can make it more challenging.
    I have long arms not something you don't want for optimal benching but helped on the deadlifts.
    You can't change the way you were born just find the best technique for your body type.
    Back in my day i did a 385 pause BP in powerlifting meet and a 405 touch and go in the gym.
    I'll be honest it took nearly ten years of dedicated training to get to that point.
    Learning all i could and training with guys stronger than me.
    You have to be patient and a goal with lots of little goals on the way.
    Getting a qualified coach or even seasoned powerlifter to look at you set up and technique could help greatly and get you going in the right direction.
    Definitely agree with patience. I honestly have short arms yet I still struggle with bench press regardless if I bulk or not. I do send form checks to some powerlifting buddies and they almost always agree there is no issue.

FWIW I have Southeast Asian genetics. I am not sure if this is a big deal but there isn't that many people in my family who are particularly strong

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by metallick View Post
    Definitely agree with patience. I honestly have short arms yet I still struggle with bench press regardless if I bulk or not. I do send form checks to some powerlifting buddies and they almost always agree there is no issue.

FWIW I have Southeast Asian genetics. I am not sure if this is a big deal but there isn't that many people in my family who are particularly strong
    How many people in your family particularly lift weights?

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do chains work for this sticking point? I'd guess they are more suitable for lockout, but they make the press harder all the way through mostly except for just the beginning.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    How many people in your family particularly lift weights?
    I know my uncle was apparently into "crossfit" (srs) and got up to a 405 deadlift, he never mentioned anything about his bench press but from what I remember he never had a big chest. He seem thin throughout my entire life. No idea how legit the claim regarding his deadlift was since he lives overseas but visits my family occasionally.

My father lifted weights since he was a teen and he once mentioned he had a 315 lb bench; but afaik his form might be bad since he keeps talking about shoulder injuries + injured his back on at least one occasion. He looks pretty jacked but his body fat percentage is pretty high (has been since I was a little kid). If he cut down to a healthy size, he'd probably look like an average person. He's 5'9 and 260 lbs; probably about 30% BF

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Upper back & shoulders for barpath..sounds like you miss at transition.

Some video would be great as its just slinging **** and hoping something sticks without it.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

Been meaning to ask but forgot to: anyone have success with the Spoto Press? Essentially a paused bench but the bottom of the rep is an inch or so above your chest.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by metallick View Post
    Been meaning to ask but forgot to: anyone have success with the Spoto Press? Essentially a paused bench but the bottom of the rep is an inch or so above your chest.
    Its fine.
    Nothing special, but often variation in its self can be a jump start to a stall
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.