Thread: Protein intake

tiger03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein intake

Hi,
    I am confused as to how much protein I should take in on a day that I work out, and on a day that I dont work out. I currently weigh 70kgs so I should expect to take in 105grams of protein. So if I take in ~105grams on a day that I work out with a bit of Glutemine 30mins before work out...
    Exactly how much should I take in on a day that I DONT work out...

my current goal is to gain muscle, ie build size. I am on a mass building protein.
    cheers.

young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by tiger03
    Hi,
    I am confused as to how much protein I should take in on a day that I work out, and on a day that I dont work out. I currently weigh 70kgs so I should expect to take in 105grams of protein. So if I take in ~105grams on a day that I work out with a bit of Glutemine 30mins before work out...

my current goal is to gain muscle, ie build size. I am on a mass building protein.
    cheers.
    Personally I take in at least 1.5 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight all days. And there are many people who take at least 2 grams, but I recommend you take at least 1.5 times your bodyweight everyday.
    New 5/3/1 Strength Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152156313&p=1031620863#post1031620863

r1ddl3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) r1ddl3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) r1ddl3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) r1ddl3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) r1ddl3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) r1ddl3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) r1ddl3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) r1ddl3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) r1ddl3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) r1ddl3r will become famous soon enough. (+50) r1ddl3r will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ditch the glutamine waste of money.

Your protein intake should be ~2-3gr/kg every day, protein helps you build muscle or keep it if you 're cutting. Just play with your carb intake, more on training days.

And dont forget to rest.

...plus, use the search button. You 'll learn more
    Scream for me

Companies I tried their products and support: Thermolife, Xtreme Formulations, AEN, Primaforce and Scivation.

Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000) Mr. Aries is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hi,

cheers.

no offense bro.. from this post, i can see that you have done almost ZERO reading... you have a lot to catch up on... 105g of protein? glutamine?

no, and no..

cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cxm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hi,

cheers.
    Start with 1 gram per pound, observe to see if it goes well with your digestion. Then try 1.5 gr per pound, if ok then stay there. You might have to up it based on your calorie intake.

marcmathews has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcmathews has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcmathews has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcmathews has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcmathews has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcmathews has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcmathews has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcmathews has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcmathews has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcmathews has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcmathews has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    At least 1 gram of protein per pound of body wieght that is a good place to start out. No less than that and like everyone else said you can go up from thier but I would start with that if I was you.
    Anything you need you can get at 7-11

wiseguy1111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wiseguy1111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wiseguy1111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wiseguy1111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wiseguy1111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wiseguy1111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wiseguy1111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wiseguy1111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wiseguy1111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wiseguy1111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wiseguy1111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hi,

cheers.
    You need to take 1.5 to 2 grams of protein per body weight (in pounds). 7 days a week doesn't matter working out or not.

pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Hi,

cheers.
    A few ideas and links that MIGHT help:

Originally Posted by pu12en12g
    Diet:

-Total daily calorie intake. This is what will make / break you

- It is NOT efficient to try and lose fat AND gain muscle at the same time

- BMR and nutrition calculator (click here)

- Total Daily Protein Intake (for best results I recommend AROUND 2g per lb of bodyweight)

- Fatloss basics. READ IT:

- Foods (Good vs. Bad):

- If there was ONE SINGLE KEY to the gains I made in the 1 1/2 years when I went from 175-225 (my best.. leanest gains), it is OATS / STEEL CUT OATS ! The emphasis here is that oats / steel cut oats are a INEXPENSIVE, HEALTHY, yet VERY CALORIE DENSE FOOD. I saw lean gains like I had never seen before. But NO THEY DON'T TASTE GOOD. YOU HAVE TO FORCE FEED THEM. This gets old fast. I added about 1 cup of oats to each protein shake.

When bulking (to gain lean muscle mass), I aim for:

- 1lb lean beef per day
    - 1 Gallon Skim Milk per day
    - Around 2000 cals per day from oats
    - Lots of protein shakes (up to 8 per day)
    - Lean chicken
    - Lean turkey
    - Lean beef / sloppy Joes (manwich)
    - Hamburger Helper
    - Lots of pasta
    - Lots of tuna
    - Potatoes
    - Rice (Note: If you can afford it you can do things like boneless chicken breast, steaks etc.. etc..)
    - Veggies (Fresh if possible)

When cutting (to lose fat):

- I eat many of the same foods above, but with a lower TOTAL DAILY CALORIE INTAKE

- I put a emphasis on PRE- and POST-workout nutrition, and the end result is that most of my calories are eaten before my afternoon workout. I have found this to be ideal (for me).

Supplements:

- Supplements / Companies to avoid

- SAVE $$$$$ ! ! STICK WITH THE BASICS ! ! )- Stay on creatine, there is no need to cycle it ! (cycling and loading are totally optional)

- Creatine timing (when / how to take it):- For best results, aim for AROUND 2g of total daily protein intake per lb of bodyweight EVERY SINGLE DAY ! !

Example:
    Bodyweight: 200lbs
    Total daily protein intake: 400g
    Here is why:

Workout / Routine:

- I recommend a MAX-OT, 5x5, HST (or similar) routine with a EMPHASIS ON:
    - Squatting / Leg pressing
    - Deadlifts
    - Barbell benchpress
    (Including flat / decline / incline)
    - Both BB's and DB's for best results

- Concentrate more on measurements and less on bodyweight

- Weigh yourself once a week. Should gain (or lose) around 1lb per week (depending on goals).

- Concentrate on form first, in order to stay injury free

- Emphasize both range of motion, and mind-muscle connection

- With intensity, strength gains, and a proper bodybuilding diet, the size gains (or fatloss) will come

- Make sure and have a spotter when working out your major muscle groups, preferrably someone bigger than you

- Don't be scared of overtraining. Simply listen (pay attention) to your body, and ask more questions later if you think you are overtraining.

Cardio:

- If possible, do cardio at least 8 hours from when you lift weights

- If possible, do cardio in the AM after sleeping.

- No need to do cardio on a empty stomach, but many prefer to due to nausea

- Jumping rope is a very efficient form of cardio

- Sprinting is a very efficient form of cardio

- HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is a efficient form of cardio

Recovery (A.K.A GROWTH !):

- With proper intensity MUST COME PROPER RECOVERY !

- Make sure and get enough protein right before you go to sleep.

- Make sure and get enough protein/carbs right when you wake up

- Make sure and get enough deep, quality sleep (Not getting enough quality sleep is the #1 newbie mistake. You should aim for at least 8 QUALITY hours of sleep per night): - Make sure and get enough protein / calories on off days (This is when your body will be recovering) It is important to be consistent !

- Make sure and get proper pre and post-workout nutrition:
    Carbs pre and post workout.
    Protein pre and post workout.
    Creatine pre and post workout:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=272067

H20 / Cell volumization:

- Make sure and drink enough water throughout the day (This is CRITICAL ! !) I drink about 1 liter per hour. (Keep in mind I am currently over 240lbs so you may not need this much) Click here to read about why this is SO IMPORTANT:
    Good luck !

Disclaimer: The above post is IN MY OPINION, or IN MY EXPERIENCE, unless otherwise noted.
    Free agent
    Research and Development Consultant
    11+ Years Experience

siimng1979 is just really nice. (+1000) siimng1979 is just really nice. (+1000) siimng1979 is just really nice. (+1000) siimng1979 is just really nice. (+1000) siimng1979 is just really nice. (+1000) siimng1979 is just really nice. (+1000) siimng1979 is just really nice. (+1000) siimng1979 is just really nice. (+1000) siimng1979 is just really nice. (+1000) siimng1979 is just really nice. (+1000) siimng1979 is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

So much has been said about this and everyone seems to have a different answer. Going by what Ive read in the past and everyone elses threads, I personally look to have at least 1g for every lb in body weight. Im 172lbs, so therefore I look to consume at least 172grams of protein per day (workout or not, because on your non-workout day you're muscles are still working and repairing themselves therefore you still need to consume protein). This amount though, 172grams of protein is built up not only from my protein shakes but also from the food I eat in that day, i.e if I eat 80grams worth of protein from food in a day, then I will supplement my protein intake with approx 3-4 protein shakes (going by that each shake is 23 grams protein). Personally that is the way I try to do it, and I mean by taking TOO much protein (heavy heavy amounts daily) I'm sure it aint good for you?

Regards