Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    glider007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Triceps getting too much pump in shoulder exercises

Can you recommend some tips to increase the effectiveness of my shoulder routine? My triceps seem to be stronger than shoulders and exercises such as dumbell presses, military press or behind the neck press really end up working my triceps with some minor benefits to my shoulders. I really don't want bigger triceps at this point.

Instead of press and push exercises should I switch to isolation exercises? (Such as frontal raise and lateral raise only for shoulders and omit dumbell or military press which involve triceps muscles?)

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    laterals are awesome, don't be fooled by the "light weight" you use.
    I don't know either lol

NYYanksFan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYYanksFan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYYanksFan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYYanksFan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, first of all, lose the behind the neck presses. They are terrible for your shoulders.

I don't know why you would be bringing your triceps into it so much. Make sure on all the movements that your hands are far enough apart that your triceps don't come into play as much. Also, consider trying Arnold Presses. They're awesome.

As for isolation, I love doing lateral cable raises and bent over dumbbell lateral raises. Those paired with arnolds or military presses have proven very successful for me.

TXScout2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TXScout2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TXScout2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TXScout2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TXScout2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TXScout2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TXScout2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TXScout2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TXScout2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TXScout2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TXScout2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    One thing can can smoke your shoulders really well is if you do a superset where you pre-exhaust the deltoids using lateral raises with dumbbells (I actually find that lateral raise machines work pretty well too) and once youve worked a set of 10-12 reps to failure, immediately switch to an overhead press, whether it be with dumbells or a machine, and do another set of 10-12 to failure. Sometimes on an overhead pressing movement the triceps will end up failing before the deltoids do, and so they end up getting bigger and the delts dont have to adapt. Pre-exhausting the delts should help to make sure that by the end of your overhead pressing set its the delts that are failing, and not the triceps. If you do that set with a lot of intensity, that can smoke your shoulders pretty well. If you didnt feel like it was intense enough, you can always repeat the superset.

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by NYYanksFan
    Well, first of all, lose the behind the neck presses. They are terrible for your shoulders.

I don't know why you would be bringing your triceps into it so much. Make sure on all the movements that your hands are far enough apart that your triceps don't come into play as much. Also, consider trying Arnold Presses. They're awesome.

As for isolation, I love doing lateral cable raises and bent over dumbbell lateral raises. Those paired with arnolds or military presses have proven very successful for me.
    so.........BTN presses are bad for the shoulders, but arnolds are fine?
    I don't know either lol

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by W8isGR8

Lifting weights is inherently dangerous-deal with it

Threadstarter-a wider grip on military presses will put less of the load on the tri's.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

---*No Hymen No Diamond Crew*---

aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Knock my ears off, I've heard it all now

aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000)

Btn pressing movements are fine if you have good shoulder girdle flexibility *waits for AJ to concur*, but Arnold presses are an RC disaster in the making.

Originally Posted by glider007
    Can you recommend some tips to increase the effectiveness of my shoulder routine? My triceps seem to be stronger than shoulders and exercises such as dumbell presses, military press or behind the neck press really end up working my triceps with some minor benefits to my shoulders. I really don't want bigger triceps at this point.

Instead of press and push exercises should I switch to isolation exercises? (Such as frontal raise and lateral raise only for shoulders and omit dumbell or military press which involve triceps muscles?)

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome
    Hey, what's your split look like? Make sure you're not training delts too soon after doing chest, or arms for that matter. If your tris haven't fully recovered from the last time you directly/indirectly trained them, it will really affect the quality of your pressing.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    triceps are involved in any type of pressing motion. period.
    <->

NYYanksFan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYYanksFan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYYanksFan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NYYanksFan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Perhaps Arnolds are not fine. There are several variations I've seen. The one I use has never been a problem.

However, any behind the neck movement is generally dangerous. That is a straight fact. Sure, people do them and often can get away with it, but why risk it when there are countless other options?

Originally Posted by RU4A69
    Lifting weights is inherently dangerous-deal with it
    I think I heard that somewhere..........hmmmmmm
    I don't know either lol

UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50) UNLVmike will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    At the top of the movement, dont lockout.

Keep your arms slightly bent - - this will take some pressure of the tris and give your sholders more TUT.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    P
    However, any behind the neck movement is generally dangerous. That is a straight fact. S
    no, that is once again a clueless noob jumping on the band wagon

btn is safe if you've developed shoulder girdle flexibility, blah blah blah
    <->

trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by $AJ

Right, and if you don't lower below mid-ear level, right? You could also try pressing dumbells with a false (thumbless) grip and bring them down to almost shoulder level, then back up in an arc-like motion. Works really well for me.

Originally Posted by $AJ

Then we can agree to disagree, because several people I know have either injured, re-injured or worsened an injury due to some form of behind the neck presses.

P.S. I'm far from clueless and far from a noob. But thanks for the compliments.
    Last edited by NYYanksFan; 11-10-2005 at 06:40 PM.

Then we can agree to disagree, because several people I know have either injured, re-injured or worsened an injury due to some form of behind the neck presses.

Relax... AJ's always overly friendly like that

G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    But it says in Flex than BTN movements are bad

Thanks for the suggestions guys. My triceps and chest are a little stronger than the rest because when I was in high school I used to do about 100 push ups everyday for 3 years without any other exercise. Wider grips seem to work good by the way. On one other suggestion, how long can one continue doing pre exhausts? 1month, 2 months? (Like do lateral raises 10-12 reps and then do shoulder press) Somehwhere I heard it is not very good to utilize these techniques over extended periods.

Again, your suggestions for the following plan will be most appreciated:
    Right now, I don't have any bench press exercises in my program since my goal is balance. I am thinking of omitting chest exercises for 6 months.During this time I just plan to to bench every other two week to keep the current strength and size. I think I will do frontal raises, lateral raises and bent over raises to hit three shoulder muscles, as well as one barbell or Smith machine press, frequency: 2 times a week. (would 3 times be too much?)

Do you prefer Smith machine or barbell military press?

By the way, I am not an advanced bodybuilder, I have worked usually 6 months on and 6 months off for 8-9 years. I started exercising again 4 months ago after a year off, but this time I plan to continue at least 1 year before I get lazy again and take another break
    Last edited by glider007; 11-11-2005 at 12:38 AM.

D-U-E____T-O____P-O-O-R____S-H-O-U-L-D-E-R____G-I-R-D-L-E F-L-E-X-I-B-L-I-T-Y____,P-E-R-I-O-D____.
    <->

Bigger than Darklight The Real Deal's Avatar
    The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000)
    im sure spelling it out in large print will make him udnerstand better

phat custom title yo desire4dumbells's Avatar
    desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) desire4dumbells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Rofl
    Move along, nothing to see here

Milk does a body good. Sir_Malak's Avatar
    Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ROFL

Eat+Sleep+train+sleep+eat+eat+train = guud.

Shoulders..well if you feel them hurting dont do the motion anymore..get help or do another exercise for it. Some folks just arent equipped for certain movements, its nothing to be ashamed of because nobody is 100% free moving..Even Ronnie think of it..at that size im sure there are a few restrictions placed on him.. granted id take the size over any restriction hehe short of a small yellow bus.
    2014 Misc Raw Bench Press Contest winner in the 276lb+ 555lb lift @ ~280lbs
    2014 Obtained goal of 600+ raw bench press. Shoulder also hates me.
    2015 Lost 110 lbs and currently enjoy being healthy. Retired heavy bench press.
    2016 Stay healthy? Help others?
    2017 Staying Healthy
    2018 Might Return To The Game

Originally Posted by glider007
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. My triceps and chest are a little stronger than the rest because when I was in high school I used to do about 100 push ups everyday for 3 years without any other exercise. Wider grips seem to work good by the way. On one other suggestion, how long can one continue doing pre exhausts? 1month, 2 months? (Like do lateral raises 10-12 reps and then do shoulder press) Somehwhere I heard it is not very good to utilize these techniques over extended periods.

Again, your suggestions for the following plan will be most appreciated:
    Right now, I don't have any bench press exercises in my program since my goal is balance. I am thinking of omitting chest exercises for 6 months.During this time I just plan to to bench every other two week to keep the current strength and size. I think I will do frontal raises, lateral raises and bent over raises to hit three shoulder muscles, as well as one barbell or Smith machine press, frequency: 2 times a week. (would 3 times be too much?)

Do you prefer Smith machine or barbell military press?

By the way, I am not an advanced bodybuilder, I have worked usually 6 months on and 6 months off for 8-9 years. I started exercising again 4 months ago after a year off, but this time I plan to continue at least 1 year before I get lazy again and take another break
    I would not keep chest out of your routine, or train it any less frequently. Just because one group overpowers others, it doesn't mean you don't train it. You just may want to work the lagging groups more intensely, more often, with different set/rep schemes, etc to help catch them up.

As for smith machines, I'm sure I'll get another friendly response here, they are next to worthless. Always use dumbbells, spotting cages and/or a spotter over the smith machine. Smith machines limit your ROM greatly and also put stress in places free weights do not.

What does your split look like? Posting that up may make it easier to offer some more help.

As for BTN presses, you guys can laugh it up all you want, but conisdering it was his 1st post and he didn't sound very experienced, I'd have a hard time recommending them. If you guys see nothing wrong with them, great, but there's a reason the movement is so controversial among professionals.

As for smith machines, I'm sure I'll get another friendly response here, they are next to worthless. Always use dumbbells, spotting cages and/or a spotter over the smith machine. Smith machines limit your ROM greatly and also put stress in places free weights do not.
    No, no disagreement on that one

Here is my split: (as it is now without bench presses,)
    With all my exercises, my last set consists of 2 parts,. I first perform 8 reps until failure then drop the weight by 30-40% and keep performing the exercise again to failure. If I have a spotter, then I do a 9th rep with help and then drop the weight by 30-40% and keep going until failure(no help from a spotter with that part though)

Day1-
    Dumbell Press 4 sets(15-12-10-8* drop the weight by 30 40% and continue until failure) I slightly lower the back seat of the bench here, so instead of being completely vertical at 90 degrees, the back seat is slightly inclined, around 70-80 degrees so my upper chest is slightly recruited in this exercise as well. I find it safer to load heavier weights when my back is supported with that slight angle since I had a back injury 3 years ago.
    Lateral Raise 4 sets *same as above
    Frontal Raise 4 sets *same as above

Day2-
    Rear shoulder row with lever 4 sets
    Seated cable rows 4 sets
    Rear lat pull down 4 sets
    sometimes biceps here, sometimes with barbell sometimes with dumbell, again, 4 sets. Rows usually give me a huge biceps pump.

Day3-Leg, abs day-squats, calves, leg extensions, crunches etc.
    To keep chest get at least some exercise, I do seated flies with lever; 4sets with medium weights

Day4 -off
    Day5-same as Day1

Sometimes, I just spread legs and abs among the first 2 days. If that's the case Day3 becomes resting day and on Day4 I start again.
    Last edited by glider007; 11-11-2005 at 09:30 AM.

darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    laterals are awesome, don't be fooled by the "light weight" you use.
    ^^^^^^

Yeah, good one. I see too many people do ego lifts on lateral raises. Seen a flapping chicken?
    *Someday I want to meet this "Everyone," he seems to have written so very much, yet all of it is wrong.
    *Nature is the master of design, and knowledge is the master of nature.
    *Uncertainty is the seed of all knowledge - it is the catalyst of investigation

AkiraFudo is just really nice. (+1000) AkiraFudo is just really nice. (+1000) AkiraFudo is just really nice. (+1000) AkiraFudo is just really nice. (+1000) AkiraFudo is just really nice. (+1000) AkiraFudo is just really nice. (+1000) AkiraFudo is just really nice. (+1000) AkiraFudo is just really nice. (+1000) AkiraFudo is just really nice. (+1000) AkiraFudo is just really nice. (+1000) AkiraFudo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Front raises?

BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AkiraFudo View Post
    Front raises?
    2005?

Replies in 1/2 hr - 3 day GeneralSerpant's Avatar
    GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Plus front raises aren't that great.
    You eat where you're at.