View Poll Results: Other than your chest, what is the most important muscle to workout for a BIG bench?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shoulders

34 28.33%
  • Triceps

78 65.00%
  • Lats

6 5.00%
  • Forearms

2 1.67%
    god hand will become famous soon enough. (+50) god hand will become famous soon enough. (+50) god hand will become famous soon enough. (+50) god hand will become famous soon enough. (+50) god hand will become famous soon enough. (+50) god hand will become famous soon enough. (+50) god hand will become famous soon enough. (+50) god hand will become famous soon enough. (+50) god hand will become famous soon enough. (+50) god hand will become famous soon enough. (+50) god hand will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Other than your chest, what is the most important muscle to workout for a BIG bench?

From doing reseach with my own body, I think its the lats.

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    shoulders id say, considering its the most used muscle on a bench.. lats is just a stabiliser
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

Bigger than Darklight The Real Deal's Avatar
    The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MrSinister
    shoulders id say, considering its the most used muscle on a bench.. lats is just a stabiliser
    ^^^^^
    Hands down shoulders.

bdpettit is on a distinguished road. (+10) bdpettit is on a distinguished road. (+10) bdpettit is on a distinguished road. (+10) bdpettit is on a distinguished road. (+10) bdpettit is on a distinguished road. (+10) bdpettit is on a distinguished road. (+10) bdpettit is on a distinguished road. (+10) bdpettit is on a distinguished road. (+10) bdpettit is on a distinguished road. (+10) bdpettit is on a distinguished road. (+10) bdpettit is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Triceps, by far.
    If you don't have strong triceps, you will never be able to lock out the lift at the top.

momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    "other than chest" implying that chest is the most important? Definitely by far triceps are the most important. There's a good reason why tricep work is more important than chest work in most powerlifting routines...

Pyr0_FrEaK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pyr0_FrEaK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pyr0_FrEaK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pyr0_FrEaK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pyr0_FrEaK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pyr0_FrEaK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pyr0_FrEaK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pyr0_FrEaK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pyr0_FrEaK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pyr0_FrEaK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pyr0_FrEaK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    tris defeintly
    Weight:210lbs been here for awhile now
    Bench:250lbs
    Squat:3?? havent maxed yet but I know its in 300's
    Deadlift:3?? havent maxed on this either its in 300's

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    shoulders are the biggest, then tricep and chest, with other groups like lats being a driving force, and then the usual stabilizers like biceps, etc...
    <->

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by MrSinister
    . lats is just a stabiliser
    no, they act as sort of a 'launching pad' of sorts at the bottom (very rough description)

hence why heavy benchers have a heavy row as well and it's important to train it on the horizontal plane (rows)
    <->

Laying the Smackdown. Rocky_Maivia's Avatar
    Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Shoulders / Triceps / Lats, in that order.
    neg reds on sight crew

CrazyAZNRedneck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CrazyAZNRedneck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CrazyAZNRedneck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CrazyAZNRedneck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CrazyAZNRedneck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Since the lockout is the "sticking point", I'd have to say Triceps take the cake. In fact, research has pointed to triceps (not chest) being the muscle most dominant for big bench pressers. However, this was tested based on powerlifters, who use bench shirts, which spring most of the movement out of the bottom of the lift...
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 236
    Bodyfat: uh... high...
    Bench: 405
    Squat: 545
    Deadlift: 545
    Weight Training Since: July 1998
    Weight Training Properly Since: July 2004

"3 billion vaginas in the world, what makes yours so special?"
    -Me

Laying the Smackdown. Rocky_Maivia's Avatar
    Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Shoulders are the most important when benching shirtless.
    neg reds on sight crew

Originally Posted by Rocky_Maivia
    Shoulders are the most important when benching shirtless.
    ^^^
    <->

The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000)
    unfortunately 65% of the voters think otherwise

edit: replace otherwise with tricep...since otherwise would actually mean 75%

Originally Posted by The Real Deal
    unfortunately 65% of the voters think otherwise

edit: replace otherwise with tricep...since otherwise would actually mean 75%
    it just shows that most people have a lot to learn.

which is why, for example, having 19'' arms while not being anything super duper great in reality is considered 'Awesome!' and 'most definately juicing!!!' by the average trainee, because they don't know how to get there.
    <->

Originally Posted by $AJ
    it just shows that most people have a lot to learn.

which is why, for example, having 19'' arms while not being anything super duper great in reality is considered 'Awesome!' and 'most definately juicing!!!' by the average person, because they don't know how to get there.

lol i like how u choose 19inchers over say 20 a nice round even number. im sure it has nothing to do with the fact u have 19s?

CrazyAZNRedneck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CrazyAZNRedneck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CrazyAZNRedneck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CrazyAZNRedneck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CrazyAZNRedneck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    AJ, you seem to be the resident know-it-all (not to twist your balls or anything). Do you have any studies you've seen to convince me otherwise? Or is this just your personal experience? The sticking point is still the lockout for 9/10ths of people. That says to me that the weak point on the bench press is the triceps.

I have always had a nice bench press and I notice I do have huge front deltoids. But, I also have giant triceps and chest and lats and... I'm pretty developed all over (no if I could just drop these damn twins I been pregnant with for the past three years).

-Me

dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I know shoulders (front delts) get hit hard while benching but i voted triceps because it's ALWAYS my triceps that give out when i'm benching. I think it also depends on your grip as well eg. if you're using a wide grip it works the delts less.

Originally Posted by The Real Deal
    lol i like how u choose 19inchers over say 20 a nice round even number. im sure it has nothing to do with the fact u have 19s?
    noooooooooo, not at all, honest!

Originally Posted by CrazyAZNRedneck
    AJ, you seem to be the resident know-it-all (not to twist your balls or anything). Do you have any studies you've seen to convince me otherwise? Or is this just your personal experience? The sticking point is still the lockout for 9/10ths of people. That says to me that the weak point on the bench press is the triceps.
    complete ROM bench is like (roughly) 65% shoulder, 20% tricep, 15% chest (more or less of course)

i don't know where you get 9/10ths have trouble locking out. if anything i'd say it's 1/3 @ lockout, 1/3 @ middle, 1/3 @ bottom, hence where there are so many techniques to address each spot, because the different variations of where people get stuck

if i had to pick a weak point though and can't evenly distribute it, i'd have to go with the bottom - hence why so many people drop the weight and bounce it...take out the bounce and bang, they lose 50pds on their bench. So then lats (launching pad) become the most important in a bench for a strong drive, but that's not entirely true.

so really, it's the % of stress distribution i listed above, and then the most important part will depend on where YOU get stuck. but in general, if you have really weak shoulders, your bench will suffer a lot more than a weaker chest or triceps.
    <->

I get the 9/10ths mostly from training methods as well as the motivations behind them. Everything from Boards Presses to Floor Presses to Bands to chains rack lockouts focuses on the lockout as the hardest part of the bench press.

It's rather hard to say that bench pressing is such and such a % chest and so on since working chest to any sort of heavy extent will make all 3 big. Though, you can isolate chest a little better by limiting your range of motion to the bottom half. Funny, it seems that just by working chest and legs (OH Squats), you can build extremely strong shoulders.

-Me

Originally Posted by CrazyAZNRedneck
    I get the 9/10ths mostly from training methods as well as the motivations behind them. Everything from Boards Presses to Floor Presses to Bands to chains rack lockouts focuses on the lockout as the hardest part of the bench press..
    you're basically ssaysing rack lockouts over and over; i can say something like pause pressing over and over in different terms to work lat drive, or training w/ chains for the middle. there's more than just lockout that people stumble on.
    <->

Showtyme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Showtyme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Showtyme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Showtyme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Showtyme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Showtyme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Showtyme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    ....so really, it's the % of stress distribution i listed above, and then the most important part will depend on where YOU get stuck. but in general, if you have really weak shoulders, your bench will suffer a lot more than a weaker chest or triceps.
    This is exactly right. If you get stuck at the bottom, you might need to focus on lats...if you struggle locking out, focus on tri's.

And for all around bench press improvement, shoulders should be a focal point, especially the front delt.

GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    then the most important part will depend on where YOU get stuck.
    Right there, that's the answer to look for.
    When the opportunity has arrived,

The time for preparation has past.