K-Dubb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

my "side effects" of a high protein diet

Alright I am having some issues with my diet. It is kind of embarrassing but I am sure I am not the only one. I really dont take in much protein a day, but a lot more than I used to. I take in anywhere from 170-200 grams a day. My diet is low in fat. I usually eat things like grilled chicken, whole wheat everything, spinach/salads, other veges, fruit, and oatmeat. I also eat the protein bar recipie once a day that was on here which consists of oats, penutbutter, protein, and milk. On top of that I usually have maybe 1-2 protein in milk a day.

My problem is that I take horrible poops (as in runny), and I have gas that really stinks lol. This is really embarrassing, but I cant stand it and I dont want to let up on my protein. Is there anything I can take that will counter this? Or something I can change? I think it may be the protein mix mainly that causes it. Would beano or something like that help?

haha thanks.

Cold_As_Ice is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cold_As_Ice is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cold_As_Ice is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cold_As_Ice is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cold_As_Ice is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cold_As_Ice is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cold_As_Ice is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cold_As_Ice is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cold_As_Ice is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cold_As_Ice is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cold_As_Ice is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by K-Dubb
    Alright I am having some issues with my diet. It is kind of embarrassing but I am sure I am not the only one. I really dont take in much protein a day, but a lot more than I used to. I take in anywhere from 170-200 grams a day. My diet is low in fat. I usually eat things like grilled chicken, whole wheat everything, spinach/salads, other veges, fruit, and oatmeat. I also eat the protein bar recipie once a day that was on here which consists of oats, penutbutter, protein, and milk. On top of that I usually have maybe 1-2 protein in milk a day.

My problem is that I take horrible poops (as in runny), and I have gas that really stinks lol. This is really embarrassing, but I cant stand it and I dont want to let up on my protein. Is there anything I can take that will counter this? Or something I can change? I think it may be the protein mix mainly that causes it. Would beano or something like that help?

haha thanks.
    Try eating all of your protein sources first if you can, so that they hit the bottem of your stomach first, and I'd also cut down on the Whey and Milk. Maybe you have an allergy? Try to eat more animal protein sources like Chicken, Tuna, etc. And if all else fails, cut the protein bars out. They sound good, but maybe your system is having a hard time breaking them down. Beano won't help you for your protein farts. Its supposed to help breakdown some carbs in veggies and beans. I'm sure taking this would still provide some additional support.

Hope this helps.

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    how much is whey and water? Try mixing the whey with egg whites or milk or flax to slow digestion.

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Make sure you consume plenty of fiber. What kind of protein bar - only those ingredient? If you eat anything that has a lot of sugar alcohol in it, that could do it to you.

Impitious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You should be eating about 30g of fiber a day.

The protein is going way too fast through your system and that is why it is coming out all runny. The fiber will help slow the food down through your system and make it more solid.

I am eating a lot of fiber. I have whole wheat all over the place, plus I eat lots of oats as well. I would say I am fairly close to 30 grams a day.

I guess I shouldnt say it is runny, but it is rarely a clean wipe. I usually have to wipe quite a bit. I poop around 3-4 times a day.

I always mix the whey in milk.

They call me Cromartie All_Swoled_Up's Avatar
    All_Swoled_Up is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) All_Swoled_Up is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) All_Swoled_Up is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) All_Swoled_Up is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) All_Swoled_Up is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) All_Swoled_Up is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) All_Swoled_Up is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) All_Swoled_Up is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) All_Swoled_Up is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) All_Swoled_Up is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) All_Swoled_Up is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think this is pretty common with high protein diets, at least it is with me. Your body should get used to used to it after awhile. I try to cycle the protein shakes and bars off and on with whole foods.

The last time that happened to me it took four months before it got better and I had the worst smelling gas that I can remember in my entire life. I swear my wife was just about to kick me out of the house!
    SHEEPDOG #36 *S* 1\*
    ~
    Then there are the wolves and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy. Do you believe there are wolves out there who will feed on the flock without mercy? You better believe it. There are evil men in this world and they are capable of evil deeds. The moment you forget that or pretend it is not so, you become a sheep. There is no safety in denial.
    ~
    Owe negs to:

Owed reps from:

indianlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indianlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indianlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indianlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indianlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indianlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indianlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indianlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indianlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indianlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) indianlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    try bananas to help
    clean bulking

powerinme has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerinme has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerinme has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerinme has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerinme has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerinme has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerinme has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerinme has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerinme has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerinme has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerinme has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    **** 3 or 4 times a day? what the fck? I eat 4300 cal. a day and 250 g protein and dont ever **** more than once or rarely twice. what a tard

The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'll get to the point, since whole food protein sources digests so slow they require a longer stay in the digestive tract to be completely digested. Our bodies are built to digest meat, just not six, 16 oz steaks a day every day of our lives. Whole food protein sources are meant as a slow releasing source to keep us satiated and supplied with essential nutients over a period of time. The whole "rotten gas" thing comes in when the slow digesting protein is exposed to starch and sugar. Starch foods are easily converted to sugars that will ferment the animal protein and cause putrefaction in the bowels. Sugars, manufactured and natural, are what cause the meat(and other foods) to ferment or "rot", it's not the action of the meat alone. If left by itself in the digestive tract, meat will be completely digeted by the bodies enzymes and utilized properly. You can tell when meat is fermenting in your system by the fact that you start to produce a lot of foul smelling gas (meat farts). You will probably also notice this if you ever ate a Whopper or Big Mac. The combination of the beef and the processed starches in the bun accompanied by the sugary ketchup and soda will give you some god awful gas. That's the beef fermenting/rotting in your digestive tract. The same thing happens with protein powders when you drink them with milk because the sugars in the milk ferment the protein in the powder. Taking activated charcoal capsules may help with this problem.

I hope everybody learned something here today .

The Doc
    I do not have an M.D. or a Ph.D., Doc is a nickname, please don't ask me about your personal itching.

Originally Posted by The Doc
    I'll get to the point, since whole food protein sources digests so slow they require a longer stay in the digestive tract to be completely digested. Our bodies are built to digest meat, just not six, 16 oz steaks a day every day of our lives. Whole food protein sources are meant as a slow releasing source to keep us satiated and supplied with essential nutients over a period of time. The whole "rotten gas" thing comes in when the slow digesting protein is exposed to starch and sugar. Starch foods are easily converted to sugars that will ferment the animal protein and cause putrefaction in the bowels. Sugars, manufactured and natural, are what cause the meat(and other foods) to ferment or "rot", it's not the action of the meat alone. If left by itself in the digestive tract, meat will be completely digeted by the bodies enzymes and utilized properly. You can tell when meat is fermenting in your system by the fact that you start to produce a lot of foul smelling gas (meat farts). You will probably also notice this if you ever ate a Whopper or Big Mac. The combination of the beef and the processed starches in the bun accompanied by the sugary ketchup and soda will give you some god awful gas. That's the beef fermenting/rotting in your digestive tract. The same thing happens with protein powders when you drink them with milk because the sugars in the milk ferment the protein in the powder. Taking activated charcoal capsules may help with this problem.

I hope everybody learned something here today .

The Doc

very interesting. So you think I should try the powder in water instead? I eat red meat about once every 2 weeks. I also only drink water, milk or OJ. No sweets.

I usually have 1-2 bananas a day so I will try and up that.

Dionysus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dionysus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dionysus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dionysus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dionysus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dionysus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dionysus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dionysus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dionysus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dionysus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dionysus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Soluble fibre comes from plant material, so your "whole wheat" solution to your fibre is probably not sufficient to slow that stuff from moving through you. Just want to make sure you don't think your only source of fibre comes from whole wheat bread. Eat more vegetables, and trust me - you'll see a big difference.

I've been eating more protein than usual but not gross amounts of it (aiming for at least 1g/lb, so around 200g/day) and have never had the squirts. Bad gas? Hell yes. But never loose/watery stool.

...and listen to The Doc. Simply changing milk to water in my whey shakes made a huge difference in the gas & bloat I'd usually get after having one. I'm mildly sensitive to dairy in the first place, but love it too much to give it up.

Jackadise is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackadise is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackadise is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackadise is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackadise is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackadise is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackadise is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackadise is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackadise is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackadise is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jackadise is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    put metamucil in your shake, itl come out like a brick
    ****Don't forget, Good Reps For Good Posts!****

The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The Doc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    very interesting. So you think I should try the powder in water instead?
    Yes, that's where I would start.
    I do not have an M.D. or a Ph.D., Doc is a nickname, please don't ask me about your personal itching.

paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Try adding this to your protein shakes:

http://www.emeraldgreens.com
    ---------------------------------------
    Paul V

Misc Holy Spirit Crew
    Misc Epilepsy Crew
    Misc Dallas Crew
    Misc Over 40 crew
    *Old Misc Crew*

shannonb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shannonb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shannonb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shannonb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shannonb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shannonb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shannonb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

haha thanks.
    Fat. You need more of it. It's quite dangerous to have a high protein/low fat diet. Fat increases the digestion and use of protein, if u don't get enough fat to process the amount of protein u're getting u are going to damage ur liver, end of story.

Stand Ablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stand Ablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stand Ablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stand Ablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stand Ablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stand Ablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stand Ablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stand Ablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stand Ablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stand Ablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stand Ablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Not everyone responds well to high protein diets. I take on average 150-170 myself.

Problem 1: Not enough fats. My own fat intake is anywhere from 70 - 100 a day.
    Problem 2: Probably not enough fibre

You don't need a lot of protein to build muscle, keep muslce, lower bodyfat or bulk, or at least over 150g a day. It won't harm most people to take more, but some people can't cope with it.