MMAJason is just really nice. (+1000) MMAJason is just really nice. (+1000) MMAJason is just really nice. (+1000) MMAJason is just really nice. (+1000) MMAJason is just really nice. (+1000) MMAJason is just really nice. (+1000) MMAJason is just really nice. (+1000) MMAJason is just really nice. (+1000) MMAJason is just really nice. (+1000) MMAJason is just really nice. (+1000) MMAJason is just really nice. (+1000)

Leg Abductor Machine

Is this machine worth it for putting any size or hitting a different targeted area on your legs? I typically do leg extensions, standing leg curls, leg press, hack squats and calf raises for legs. I'm looking to add an accessory exercise to mix it up a bit. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
    "You can only dream so much, you have to make things happen. "

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm not a fan.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    I'm not a fan.
    ^ I am, but only of really hot womenz doing them

F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    if you got the machine i dont see anything wrong with doing a set or 2 during a given workout

kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kurty8 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

hamstrings

Better off doing some stiff leg deadlifts or some single leg deadlifts!! far better for the hams

RawAggression is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RawAggression is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RawAggression is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RawAggression is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RawAggression is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RawAggression is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RawAggression is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RawAggression is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RawAggression is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RawAggression is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RawAggression is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by brighamw View Post
    ^ I am, but only of really hot womenz doing them
    +1 talk about a distraction!

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    This is a fine movement for working the muscles on the outside of the leg.

While kurty is correct about deadlifts being an excellent hamstring movement, the abductor machine focuses on the hip abductors, not the knee flexors, so it's not like we're saying do leg curls or whatever.

Obviously someone should be prioritizing compound lifts and the like, but I don't see the arm in adding in a machine movement like this at the end. It would focus on muscles you might neglect, especially if you're doing the wide-stance variations of deadlifting (sumo) which will hit a lot of adductors.

The one-legged variations tend to be more balanced in this regard and you get some abductor work (keep in mind, glute medius/minimus are abductors) but not necessarily as much or in the same consistent RoM as you would get from using the machine.

I've never liked the adductor machine because it pumps up the inner thighs and makes walk-chafing, but pumping out the outside won't make chafe so it's magic. It's like delts for your hips.

ecuz3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecuz3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecuz3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecuz3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecuz3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecuz3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecuz3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecuz3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecuz3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecuz3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ecuz3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm not sure about the abductor machine, but as far as the adductor machine goes it will definitely strengthen your hip flexors, which should help you squat more. It does feel a little awkward though, opening and closing your legs like that hahah.

Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MMAJason View Post
    Is this machine worth it for putting any size or hitting a different targeted area on your legs? I typically do leg extensions, standing leg curls, leg press, hack squats and calf raises for legs. I'm looking to add an accessory exercise to mix it up a bit. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

They only go up to 200lbs at my gym and there are usually a fat women sitting on them doing 50 reps of the lowest setting so I don't even bother..

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Don't sweat what other people say about it being a girls machine blah blah blah. It is good for isolating the outer thigh muscles.

These get hit pretty hard when I do stiff leg deadlifts and squats since what squats I tend to push out (not visibly). Whenever I make good gains on either sldl/squats typically my abductors are sore as s*** for the next 3 days.

I do SLDL and Squats on the same day (Wed-legs) so occasionally like every 3 weeks or so I'll do some adbuctor work on a random day (i.e., Saturday -chest day). Far enough away from my previous core leg day, but close enough to make an impact for the next one.

They are not a "staple" in my routing but I do think there is some benefit (not so much for mass, but for helping squat/sldl endurance which correlates to mass).

joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000) joebrosef is a name known to all. (+5000)
    do squats. Stop using the pussinator machine.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by ecuz3 View Post
    I'm not sure about the abductor machine, but as far as the adductor machine goes it will definitely strengthen your hip flexors, which should help you squat more. It does feel a little awkward though, opening and closing your legs like that hahah.
    It strengthens SOME adductors, as some muscles are both adductors and hip flexors, but some are not. I don't think it's right to say it strengthens hip flexors when some are neglected.

For example, muscles that both adduct and flex the hip: adductor brevis/longus, gracilis, pectineus

Muscles that both abduct and flex the hip: sartorius, tensor fasciae latae

So actually, you could work your hip flexors in either machine, but only about half of them in either case.

There are also major hip flexors like the rectus femoris, iliacus and psoas which as far as I can tell don't play a major role in either ab or ad duction so they would be neglected by such machines and benefit from hip flexion exercises like leg raises or situps.

I could be wrong though, maybe those three do contribution to medial/lateral movements and I'm just not aware of it yet.

Originally Posted by Azrairc View Post
    They only go up to 200lbs at my gym and there are usually a fat women sitting on them doing 50 reps of the lowest setting so I don't even bother..
    Understandable, while I enjoy the machine it's not something I'm going to spend time waiting around to use. That said, if you're in the mood for BBW, asking if you might be able to work in between her sets would be a great conversation starter.

Originally Posted by joebrosef View Post
    do squats. Stop using the pussinator machine.
    I don't think anyone here promoting the idea of not squatting or prioritizing the side thigh machines over squatting. It's an accessory thing that can be done after squatting, especially if you do 2-legged ones which tend to focus more on the adductors, moreso with wide stances. Using this machine doesn't make you a pussy, it's simply that squatting makes you virtus.
    Last edited by Tyciol; 04-21-2011 at 04:03 PM.