reFLEX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

giving up volume training... have a look

Okay, I'm going to be the one in a million who's going to try the other side of the fence, and give up volume training, because frankly, it isn't doing **** for me.

This is basically what my routine will look like

I'll workout Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
    Alternating A and B
    All excercises are 1 set, 10-12 reps

A
    Squats (20 rep set)
    Dumbell Presses (flat or incline)
    Dips (weighted)
    Shoulder presses (dumbell or barbell)
    Shrugs (dumbell or barbell)

B
    Pullups (weighted)
    Barbell curls
    Hyperextensions
    Leg raises/crunches

Before you say that I have no calf work, it's true, but I'm recovering from an injury in my calf, and nothing except calf raises and leg curls hurt it. And deadlifts are out of the question (permanently) due to said injury.

The only reason I have it split up is because I don't have that much time in the gym (work out before school some days) and I can't do a full body workout in that time. Other than this, how does this look?

Thanks
    Leg day is a good day

MOD is just really nice. (+1000) MOD is just really nice. (+1000) MOD is just really nice. (+1000) MOD is just really nice. (+1000) MOD is just really nice. (+1000) MOD is just really nice. (+1000) MOD is just really nice. (+1000) MOD is just really nice. (+1000) MOD is just really nice. (+1000) MOD is just really nice. (+1000) MOD is just really nice. (+1000)

this worked extremely well for me

A:
    squat
    bench
    military
    cg bench
    calves

B:
    deads
    chins
    bb row
    bb curl
    shrugs

labrad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) labrad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) labrad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) labrad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) labrad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) labrad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) labrad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) labrad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) labrad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) labrad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) labrad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    On your B day I would add a rowing exercise for your back. Other than that, I like it. I don't do volume training either. Keep the intensity levels high, but don't neglect proper form. Good luck.

which are better: barbell rows or dumbell rows? I have a tendency for one side to dominate on most dual appendage movements (left tricep, right bicep, etc.) I was thinking dumbell rows would be better then, but I like barbell rows as well.
    Leg day is a good day

Kane Fan is just really nice. (+1000) Kane Fan is just really nice. (+1000) Kane Fan is just really nice. (+1000) Kane Fan is just really nice. (+1000) Kane Fan is just really nice. (+1000) Kane Fan is just really nice. (+1000) Kane Fan is just really nice. (+1000) Kane Fan is just really nice. (+1000) Kane Fan is just really nice. (+1000) Kane Fan is just really nice. (+1000) Kane Fan is just really nice. (+1000)
    yeah if you use a barbell one arm can take over
    if you use 2 dumbells....well each arm has to work up to it's own share of the load
    cus each arm has the same load
    so yeah I'd switch to db's whereever you have a take over tendancy

MrB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    "Okay, I'm going to be the one in a million who's going to try the other side of the fence, and give up volume training, because frankly, it isn't doing **** for me""

The only bonafide reason for changing a routine.

At the very worst, you're gonna get the same gains (or lack of) in less time.

That's the whole point I, fitnesdiva, silverback, and others have been making all along.

Unless you're just blowing up overnight with higher volume, more frequent training, then training a little more abbreviated is going to give you similar (or possibly even better) gains with a lot less time spent in the gym.

Nobody would want to work 60 hours to make the same $$$ they would working 40 hours somewhere elese, so I don't understand why lifters would wanna spend 6 hours a week over 5-6 days getting similar gains that they could get with 2 1-hour workouts (full-body) per week.

A lot of it comes down to people not wanting to do something different than what others at the gym are doing.

I would not give advice or share information that I have not used. If something didn't work for me, I wouldn't say that it did just to fit in. The advice I give has worked well for me, and even better for some of my friends.

What will happen is that you'll find something that works great for you, add more muscle in 6 months than you have in the last 2 years, and you won't give two ****s what others are doing, b/c you'll be so happy with what you're doing.

You'll also want to share your experiences with others. If they listen ... fine. If not, who cares? ... they'll come asking you questions when you're still growing like mad, and they're doing conentration curls with the 15s wondering why their arms are still 13-inches.
    "The difference between the champion and the challenger is that the champion ALWAYS gets up before the count of 10" -- Me

""Many individuals may be training hard but they aren't training smart. This is especially true of those who don't properly balance their training program with an equal amount of pushing and pulling movements and an emphasis on total-body development." "Maximum" Bob Whelan

"Time and I against any other two."

Silverback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Silverback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Silverback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Silverback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Silverback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Silverback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Silverback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Silverback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Silverback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Silverback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Silverback has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Day 1
    Squat
    Leg curl
    Bench Press
    Chins
    Curls

Day 2
    Deadlift
    Dip
    Military Press
    Bent over row
    Calf Raise

Although this routine is split up, you still hit the whole body each workout. If I were to choose any routine as my favorite, this would be it. Done 2-3 times a week I think this could get you as good as results as anything
    Silverback

silverback: deadlifts are great, but I can't do them because of my knee. So I put hyperextensions in because I can't just neglect my lower back completely.

After doing only 1 set of 20 reps of squats on Tuesday, I've added 1/2" to my legs. My legs haven't grown in 6 months or more previous to this.

I have no qualms about trying low volume training. If something doesn't work, why do it? I'd rather go less time and get better gains. And since volume isn't my thing (ie doesn't work), then I can either stop altogether or try something different.

Thanks for the help. I've heard that adding weight to dips/chins/hyperextensions can burn out your joints. Any truth to that? I can do dips with an extra 25lbs at the moment, but I want to know if it's bad for me in the long run.
    Leg day is a good day

Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000)

Smile

Damn, I dont know how I could ever do one of those workouts. I feel like I HAVE to do 4 exercises for a bodypart with atleast 3-4 sets. Being an ectomorph, I have way too much energy. ..aslong as the gains keep coming..

AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

How many?

How many percentage of bodybuilders do low volume training? I am curious about this. It's interesting that you will get the same gain with less amount of time. What's your take on this Str8t?

hey Tee...

I know how ya feel... it was hard for me to give up extra sets and excercises (volume addict?) but going extra intense on one set makes me realize I have to go all out cause I only have one shot at it per workout.

I did a 20 rep set of squats, with 225, keeping form good, to below parallel, slowly (no bouncing) and I felt like I was going to puke afterwards. THAT'S intense.

I think in general, most people go with the more=better ideology.
    Leg day is a good day

Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000) Tee is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah, I'll probably try Full Body Workout one of these days, right now its all high volume stuff. As you said, addicted.

powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Really high volume can ONLY be done if you are if you can recover quickly enough. Most people doing volume training are over training. Without drugs or GH or both the pros could never recover from the amount of training they do. It is foolish for anyone who is natural to try and do a routine recommended by a pro BB. Especially if you are close to 30 years old or more. Maybe if your 17 to 21 years old because of the naturally high levels of testosterone in you blood. BTY, 20 rep squats with 225 will do less for anyone than 10 reps with 315. Don't go below parallel either unless you want to develop chronic pain from the damage you will eventually do to your knees. Unless you are a competitive powerlifter that is pointless. You can achieve better results by using heavier weight and stopping several inches above parallel and you should still be able to make yourself feel like puking
    Racism is completely irrational.

Raising taxes never created a single job.

AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Powerman

So in your opinion, what amount of sets per body part is not high volume? Because i am also considering lowering the volume of my routine but not to the extent of going one set per exercise and just two times a week. My idea is to still go with my split of doing a body part once a week but lower number of sets with a much higher intensity. Let us say about two intense sets per exercise and limiting the number of exercise to about three exercises per body part. But i am worried about this intensity part, i mean i would have to push for failure in every set i will do. Even though i will just do three exercises, don't you think i would be prone to injury if i keep on doing this for a long while.

fsheva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    powerman would you consider 6-7 sets per muscle group overtraining?