70kilos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 70kilos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 70kilos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 70kilos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 70kilos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 70kilos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 70kilos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 70kilos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 70kilos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 70kilos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 70kilos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

starting new workout - "The Jump Off"

hey guys,

I'm starting a new workout called "The Jump Off"
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006...83155&v=glance

it's a 60 day program where you do Upper body and lower body workouts 3-4 times a week (total) and also some aerobic stuff as well

my goal is to become bigger, stronger and healthier by going from 65 kilos to 70 kilos over the 60 days

here is the Upper Body workout;

UPPER BODY WORKOUT

EXERCISE / SETS / REPS

CHEST
    1. Jumping Rope 1 100
    2. Push-up on ball 3 10-20
    3. Incline flye on ball 3 15-20

SHOULDERS
    4. Overhead dumbell press 3 15-30
    5. Weighted boxing japs 1 100

BACK
    6. Deadlift row 3 10-20
    7. Reverse hyperextension 3 10-20
    8. Football footwork drill 1 100

ARMS
    9. Dumbbell curl 3 15-30
    10. Dumbbell kickback 3 15-30
    11. Jumping Jacks 1 100

CORE
    12. Ball crunch 1 30-60
    13. Ball twist 1 30-60
    14. Ball tuck 1 30

LOWER BODY WORKOUT

QUADS AND HAMSTRINGS
    1. Jump rope 1 300
    2. Ball squat 3 15-30
    3. Reverse lunge 3 15-20
    4. Speed jabs 5 20

HAMSTRINGS AND GLUTES
    5. Knee-ups 5 20
    6. Stiff legged deadlift 3 10-20
    7. Ball leg curl 3 10-20
    8. Pulsing squat 1 30
    9. Glute squeeze 1 30

CALVES
    10. Speed drill 1 100
    11. Standing calf raise 1 30
    12. Kneeling calf raise 1 30

ABS
    13. Ball crunch or variation 1 30
    14. Ball twist or vairiation 1 30
    15. Ball tuck or variation 1 30

if anyone has any feedback or suggestons, please let me know

thanks
    Last edited by 70kilos; 10-15-2005 at 02:13 PM.

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Do you have any experince training? If so, what have you done in the past?

This routine does not look too great if you wanna build strength. Generally speaking, doing 15+ reps is training your muscle for endurance, not strength. In order to build strength, you need to focus on multi-joint lifts such as squats, deadlifts, bench press, BB rows, pullups, and overhead press. Do these lifts closer to your 1 rep max(the most weight you can lift for 1 rep using good form). The closer you train near your 1 rep max, the omore strength you will develop.

However, you dont just go into the gym and do a bunch of singles for squats. You need to do supplementary exercises in order to increase your performance on your main(multi-joint) lifts.

I hate to say this, but if weight gain and strength are your goals, I dont think this is the program for you. Here is a much better alternative...

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=15

Having said all that about training, your diet is really what matters most when you want to gain weight. In order to gain weight/muscle, you have to eat more calories then you burn each day. Some basic diet info...

http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutr...n/complete.htm
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/

70kilos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 70kilos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 70kilos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 70kilos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 70kilos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 70kilos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 70kilos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 70kilos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 70kilos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 70kilos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 70kilos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ^^^

thanks for the feedback. I didn't realise that my lower body workout didn't appear in the first post but I have corrected it now so that it now appears.

I have lifted a before for about a 1-2 year period a few years ago so I'm not a total beginner or anything like that and I understand the basics of lifting and diet etc.

yeah, that program is a bit of an "all in one" program and in fact I think it was mostly designed for people trying to LOSE weight and not necessarily to GAIN weight. Having said that though, I've started on it and I'm committed to completeing the 60 day challenge at which point I can assess my progress and then maybe choose a new routine, but for now I'm going to stay with it and get the most from it (and possibly varying some of the sets/reps and exercises to suit my goal better).

I was a bit wary of the above 15 reps for exercises (other than the abdominal exercises). I was thinking I'd be better sticking to the 10-12 reps recommended for most people gaining weight, do you agree that this would be in my best interests?

thanks a lot for your post, it's definitely much appreciated. That John Berardi site has some great articles on nutrition that I''m going to read through and learn from.

oh, one final thing I wan't to clarify in terms of the preferences of my goals. The order they go in are;
    1. get bigger / 70 kilos (I guess my main goal is to get bigger and look good/better)
    2. get stronger (big and strong should go together I feel)
    3. get healthier (by this I mostly mean to get bigger and stronger while not jeopordising my health by eating an unhealthy diet etc.)

please let me know any additional comments you have
    one other thing
    Last edited by 70kilos; 10-15-2005 at 02:29 PM.

Adamb83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adamb83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adamb83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adamb83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adamb83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adamb83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adamb83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adamb83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adamb83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adamb83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Adamb83 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Looks like a solid workout for an athlete during the season, but definitely not for building mass or strength.
    "9 Out of 10 Americans Do not get eat enough whole grain"....

...Making up for the other 9 since 2004

"May the weights fall softly upon your shoulders, and your goals rest easy upon your back"

Disclaimer:

The truth may shock you.

Originally Posted by Adamb83
    Looks like a solid workout for an athlete during the season, but definitely not for building mass or strength.
    okay cool, is there anything you or anyone else can recommend I do to make this program work for me and my goals?

thanks

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by 70kilos
    ^^^

thanks for the feedback. I didn't realise that my lower body workout didn't appear in the first post but I have corrected it now so that it now appears.

I have lifted a before for about a 1-2 year period a few years ago so I'm not a total beginner or anything like that and I understand the basics of lifting and diet etc.

yeah, that program is a bit of an "all in one" program and in fact I think it was mostly designed for people trying to LOSE weight and not necessarily to GAIN weight. Having said that though, I've started on it and I'm committed to completeing the 60 day challenge at which point I can assess my progress and then maybe choose a new routine, but for now I'm going to stay with it and get the most from it (and possibly varying some of the sets/reps and exercises to suit my goal better).

I was a bit wary of the above 15 reps for exercises (other than the abdominal exercises). I was thinking I'd be better sticking to the 10-12 reps recommended for most people gaining weight, do you agree that this would be in my best interests?

thanks a lot for your post, it's definitely much appreciated. That John Berardi site has some great articles on nutrition that I''m going to read through and learn from.

oh, one final thing I wan't to clarify in terms of the preferences of my goals. The order they go in are;
    1. get bigger / 70 kilos (I guess my main goal is to get bigger and look good/better)
    2. get stronger (big and strong should go together I feel)
    3. get healthier (by this I mostly mean to get bigger and stronger while not jeopordising my health by eating an unhealthy diet etc.)

please let me know any additional comments you have
    one other thing
    I see.

The routine I posted(the elite link) is a great routine for size and strength. Check it out.
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/