tso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Bench Press Program stuck at plateau for over a year

I have been stuck on a bench press plateau for over a year. I maxed at 225 in August of 06 and then at 230 in July of 07. Then I was back at 225 in oct. Between Aug 06 and July 07 I have used the Bigger Faster Stronger program, and periodization. However, my bench press still hasn't gone up. I am currently doing the 5 x 5 program for the bench press , but haven't seen much results and I have done it for 6 weeks then started to plateau. I also have been doing the close grip bench press, dips, and military presses 2 - 3 days after my bench press for over a year and those exercises go up. I also take a week off from lifting every 8 - 10 weeks. I also only bench press 1 time a week and do inclines, declines, hypertensions and pull downs. Please help me improve my bench press.
    Last edited by tso; 12-08-2007 at 10:39 PM.

quickups has a spectacular aura about. (+250) quickups has a spectacular aura about. (+250) quickups has a spectacular aura about. (+250) quickups has a spectacular aura about. (+250) quickups has a spectacular aura about. (+250) quickups has a spectacular aura about. (+250) quickups has a spectacular aura about. (+250) quickups has a spectacular aura about. (+250) quickups has a spectacular aura about. (+250) quickups has a spectacular aura about. (+250) quickups has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Sounds like the same exact problem that I had.

Are you eating ALOT more food than what you started?

Are you changing your rep schmes?

Are you changing the order and/or the splits (fullbody, upper/lower, etc) you do?

Are you sure you are not doing too much exercises?
    **B.S. in Nutrition and Food Science**

**Registered Dietitian**

"We learn wisdom from failure much more than from success; we often discover what will do, by finding out what will not do; and probably he who never make a mistake never made a discovery."

"Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they're supposed to help you discover who you are."

gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by tso View Post
    I have been stuck on a bench press plateau for over a year. I maxed at 225 in August of 06 and then at 230 in July of 07. Then I was back at 225 in oct. Between Aug 06 and July 07 I have used the Bigger Faster Stronger program, and periodization. However, my bench press still hasn't gone up. I am currently doing the 5 x 5 program for the bench press , but haven't seen much results and I have done it for 6 weeks then started to plateau. I also have been doing the close grip bench press, dips, and military presses 2 - 3 days after my bench press for over a year and those exercises go up. I also take a week off from lifting every 8 - 10 weeks. I also only bench press 1 time a week and do inclines, declines, hypertensions and pull downs. Please help me improve my bench press.
    You have to do heavy weights if you wanna get stronger and break through the plateau. Here try this.

Bench press: 7 sets of 5(warmup)x4x4x3x3x2x2. You wanna progressively increase the weight after each set, for you it would be something like:
    135x155x165x175x185x195x205

Then do an isolation exercise 3-4 sets of 8 reps.

Hope this helped. Good luck.
    ئەنسیکلۆپێدیایFlorida Gators Crewئەنسیکلۆپێدیای

B.S. in Applied Physiology and Kinesiology
    College of Health and Human Performance
    University of Florida

Registered User JohnnyDestroyer's Avatar
    JohnnyDestroyer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JohnnyDestroyer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JohnnyDestroyer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JohnnyDestroyer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JohnnyDestroyer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JohnnyDestroyer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JohnnyDestroyer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JohnnyDestroyer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JohnnyDestroyer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JohnnyDestroyer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JohnnyDestroyer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    DUDE

its gotta be something simple...

eat more, maybe mix up the sets, could be you tri's or chest or even your bracs are too played out by the time you get to the bench..

idunno....its probably simple though.

Mysterious One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mysterious One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mysterious One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mysterious One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mysterious One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mysterious One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mysterious One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mysterious One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mysterious One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mysterious One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mysterious One has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    More information. What is your weight, how many years have you been training, how much do you eat, etc.

Do you train other muscle groups as well (Back, Legs etc)?

The more information you give the better we can help you.

tso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i have been lifting since 2000 and weigh 193. Besides chest, I do back [ lat pull downs, hyperextensions,] triceps [ close grip bench press , dips] biceps [ barbell curl, seated bicep curl dumbbell] and legs [ squats, leg press calves. Also, take muscle milk for protein shakes.