Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kava Kava

HarryG is on a distinguished road. (+10) HarryG is on a distinguished road. (+10) HarryG is on a distinguished road. (+10) HarryG is on a distinguished road. (+10) HarryG is on a distinguished road. (+10) HarryG is on a distinguished road. (+10) HarryG is on a distinguished road. (+10) HarryG is on a distinguished road. (+10) HarryG is on a distinguished road. (+10) HarryG is on a distinguished road. (+10) HarryG is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Kava Kava

I was thinking about purchasing this herb to remedy my constant anxiety. Has anyone used this before?

G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I used a potent kava extract standardized for 70% kavalactones as well as the raw herb made as traditional drink and have enjoyed both. I don't know about any of the supplements though. I buy my herbs usually from Iamshaman.com

Just watch out. It doesn't taste good.

HarryG is on a distinguished road. (+10) HarryG is on a distinguished road. (+10) HarryG is on a distinguished road. (+10) HarryG is on a distinguished road. (+10) HarryG is on a distinguished road. (+10) HarryG is on a distinguished road. (+10) HarryG is on a distinguished road. (+10) HarryG is on a distinguished road. (+10) HarryG is on a distinguished road. (+10) HarryG is on a distinguished road. (+10) HarryG is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't care about the taste I can hold my nose then quickly drink something else. You know how alcohol makes you wanna get up and do stuff, not being afraid of anything? Does kava have the same effect?

Here we go Steelers!! BigNastyD's Avatar
    BigNastyD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNastyD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNastyD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNastyD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNastyD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNastyD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNastyD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNastyD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNastyD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNastyD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigNastyD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Some people have reported a mild euphoria on Kava.

Im wondering if this will work to treat anxiety so I can take it every morning before class. How long do you estimate the effects will last?

Immichaelski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Immichaelski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Immichaelski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Immichaelski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Immichaelski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Immichaelski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Immichaelski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Immichaelski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Immichaelski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Immichaelski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Immichaelski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs down

That stuff is worthless, and its causing many people to have severe liver damage. Stick to ***** or something.

The reason I wanted to try kava kava first is because it has relatively no side effects, except possible liver damage which has only happened in a few people, which I assume would only happen if you consumed really large amounts.

paulclayton is on a distinguished road. (+10) paulclayton is on a distinguished road. (+10) paulclayton is on a distinguished road. (+10) paulclayton is on a distinguished road. (+10) paulclayton is on a distinguished road. (+10) paulclayton is on a distinguished road. (+10) paulclayton is on a distinguished road. (+10) paulclayton is on a distinguished road. (+10) paulclayton is on a distinguished road. (+10) paulclayton is on a distinguished road. (+10) paulclayton is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I havent heard of this but let us know if it works well.

G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) G.W. Hayduke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Immichaelski
    That stuff is worthless, and its causing many people to have severe liver damage. Stick to ***** or something.
    Wow, what an ignorant statement. First makes claims to something that has proven false, then tries to promote a drug like ***** as safe.

The liver problems people got from Kava are a result of bad manufacturing. Unscrupulous suppliers were mixing in kava leaf--which is poisonous--with kava root--which is NOT toxic in any way and actually what we're looking for. That's why I only buy from suppliers I know are honest.

Originally Posted by HarryG
    The reason I wanted to try kava kava first is because it has relatively no side effects, except possible liver damage which has only happened in a few people, which I assume would only happen if you consumed really large amounts.
    Well, if you want the most potent kava, I suggest the 70% kavalactone paste from iamshaman.com. Nothing even comes close to the power of this product. And it is 100% pure kava root, no leaves or stems, so you can be sure of its safety.

Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was thinking about purchasing this herb to remedy my constant anxiety. Has anyone used this before?
    To avoid any conflicts associated with the efficacy of Kava Kava, you might consider low dose GABA as an appropriate alternative. Low GABA levels have been linked with generalized anxiety disorders. When taken in the realm of 1 g split in two to three doses throughout the day, it may be an effective anti-anxiety supplement in a manner similar to benzodiazepines.

** Team Punani Lover ** onehawaiian's Avatar
    onehawaiian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onehawaiian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onehawaiian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onehawaiian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onehawaiian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onehawaiian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onehawaiian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onehawaiian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onehawaiian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onehawaiian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onehawaiian has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    kava is awesome.
    i either chew the root or make the drink.
    either way, it's nasty.

but i'm mellow all nite long.
    I use Ejaculoid. I'd prove it to you, but I'm not a homo.

3rd day of a 7 day binge The Abomination's Avatar
    The Abomination has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) The Abomination has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) The Abomination has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) The Abomination has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) The Abomination has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) The Abomination has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) The Abomination has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) The Abomination has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) The Abomination has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) The Abomination has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) The Abomination has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Kava is great....used to take "Happy Campers" which were kava based....really mellows the mood.

Bane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Citation
    http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5147a1.htm

Even if the risk for acute liver toxicity is <1% I wouldn't risk my precious liver. Btw Kava-kava has been banned in many European countries. I would stick with GABA every day compared to kava

Does it make you have a "blah" mood, or more of a happy relaxed mood?

Btw- I purchased a pound bag from nakamalathome today so once I use it ill be sure to report back the effects

Would you say the effect is similiar to alcohol? Better? Different?

Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Magnetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Does it make you have a "blah" mood, or more of a happy relaxed mood?
    To which particular supplement are you referring?

Originally Posted by Magnetic
    To which particular supplement are you referring?
    Kava Kava

is kava better then alcohol?

Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50) Colin Gilbert will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    is kava better then alcohol?
    Would you say the effect is similiar to alcohol? Better? Different?
    I don't care about the taste I can hold my nose then quickly drink something else. You know how alcohol makes you wanna get up and do stuff, not being afraid of anything? Does kava have the same effect?

Are you trying to get stoned off the stuff? For God's sake! I can hear you now: "Dude... Can I replace alcohol with this herb? Man... I need to party!"

Not to mention it's a Saturday night, and you've just bought a big bag of the stuff.

Listen buddy, this really isn't the best place for such discussions. I recommend a site like erowid's vault, or totse.com or something like that. BBers aren't into getting stoned. The only buzz most of us here seek is the one after a hard workout.

So please, don't bring any extra of this kind of attention to these boards. "Concerned parents" don't like the idea of their babies taking creatine, lifting weights, and eating more than 50g of protein a day, on top of worrying about their kids taking kava kava to get buzzed.
    I'm a lover AND a fighter.

Originally Posted by Bane
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Citation
    http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5147a1.htm

Even if the risk for acute liver toxicity is <1% I wouldn't risk my precious liver. Btw Kava-kava has been banned in many European countries. I would stick with GABA every day compared to kava
    Furthermore, that's the risk for ACUTE toxicity. Wow! Have you ever had a beer? Cause that causes acute toxicity at a much higher rate.

Bane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Bane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Aeternitatis
    Furthermore, that's the risk for ACUTE toxicity. Wow! Have you ever had a beer? Cause that causes acute toxicity at a much higher rate.
    I have yet to hear of anobody who drank a beer a day for 8 weeks and then went to the hospital with hepatitis. You are free to believe those who sell it to you and are the only ones who claim that contaminants for the root caused hepatoxicity. Yet the fact is taht research shows that even the ingredients of the "clear" have an impact on liver function. It's your own liver, I don't care.

richer44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Kava Kava

HerbalGram. 2005;67:21-22 © American Botanical Council

Previous ban overturned, allowing kava products to apply for new licenses, but products not yet on market

by Mark Blumenthal

An important new development in the situation regarding the safety of kava has occurred in Germany. On May 12, 2005, the German health authorities (BfArM, German Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices) repealed the ban of registered kava drug products in Germany.

I got the kava today, I tried it, and it DOES taste like absolute ****. I also forgot to use a strainer to get all the excess root out of it before I drank it. (I highly recommend using a strainer to do this) In the beginning I drank it, felt like puking but kept it in and then like 30 minutes later I felt very calm. Then later during the day I had to go to a football game and I noticed I had VERY little anxiety VERY VERY little if any at all. Its weird because it didn't make me high or drunk it just took the edge off my anxiety. Im going to try to take more and prepare it properly this time and I will report the results. It sort of feels like you are drunk but not pissed off at all.

onehawaiian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onehawaiian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onehawaiian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onehawaiian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onehawaiian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onehawaiian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onehawaiian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onehawaiian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onehawaiian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onehawaiian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) onehawaiian has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I got the kava today, I tried it, and it DOES taste like absolute ****. I also forgot to use a strainer to get all the excess root out of it before I drank it. (I highly recommend using a strainer to do this) In the beginning I drank it, felt like puking but kept it in and then like 30 minutes later I felt very calm. Then later during the day I had to go to a football game and I noticed I had VERY little anxiety VERY VERY little if any at all. Its weird because it didn't make me high or drunk it just took the edge off my anxiety. Im going to try to take more and prepare it properly this time and I will report the results. It sort of feels like you are drunk but not pissed off at all.
    u should have been somewhat numb, calm and relatively happy.
    cheese cloth works good for getting it strained...

Originally Posted by onehawaiian
    u should have been somewhat numb, calm and relatively happy.
    cheese cloth works good for getting it strained...
    yea I was relatively happy and content, it wasn't what I was expecting but maybe I just have to keep doing it to build up a "reverse tolerance" as they call it. The effects also last for a long time, euphoria wears off after a while but the anti-anxiety effects stay for quite a while.

Would combining small amounts of alcohol and kava multiply the effect?

Would combining small amounts of alcohol and kava multiply the effect?
    i'm not sure.
    when we're drinking kava, alcohol is really not needed.
    of course it all depends on how u strain it too...and how long it sits.
    lots of ppl think u get intoxicated, but kava is non-narcotic. doesn't get u drunk or high.
    but damn u feel good for a while...

serenity now.

Originally Posted by onehawaiian
    i'm not sure.
    when we're drinking kava, alcohol is really not needed.
    of course it all depends on how u strain it too...and how long it sits.
    lots of ppl think u get intoxicated, but kava is non-narcotic. doesn't get u drunk or high.
    but damn u feel good for a while...

serenity now.
    yea definitely I think that the kava would stay in your body to make your body constantly reduce anxiety right? I also heard damiana when combined creates a synergy which gives a euphoric relaxing effect even better then kava alone.

All the answers about kava-kava safety here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=598797