Boashoak will become famous soon enough. (+50) Boashoak will become famous soon enough. (+50) Boashoak will become famous soon enough. (+50) Boashoak will become famous soon enough. (+50) Boashoak will become famous soon enough. (+50) Boashoak will become famous soon enough. (+50) Boashoak will become famous soon enough. (+50) Boashoak will become famous soon enough. (+50) Boashoak will become famous soon enough. (+50) Boashoak will become famous soon enough. (+50) Boashoak will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question Lifting with an Empty stomach = bad?

Is lifting early in the morning (about 6am) on an empty stomach bad? How about with nothing but a pre-workout supplement such as NO-Xplode or Met-Rx Amped in your stomach? Also, if it's okay to lift on an empty stomach, how long should you stay in the gym, is 1.5-2 hours too much? Thanks
    Now: 150lbs, 14% bodyfat
    Goal: 165lbs, 8% bodyfat

J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You were asking about working out for more than an hour.....you do this with no fuel???

You're worried about long workout elevating cortisol.....yet you try to lift when cortisol level are at their highest....i.e. in the morning (after an 8-hour fast, on an empty stomach).......

Are you worried about cortisol or not?

How can you lift with no fuel? My car doesn't go very fast or very far with an empty gas tank.

You're a tiger, ARRRRGH! GarethCheeseman's Avatar
    GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My blood sugar crashes if I lift without having ate around an hour before. I left it two hours once, did a couple of sets of squats and it hit me like a wall, I fealt sick, weak and unable to lift any more. Now I always eat an hour before and drink fruit juice during the workout.

1.5-2 hours is too much for strength and hypertrophy training, keep it to 45 minutes
    "Yeah, and I'm a Dutchman"

back to the basics RenegadeRows's Avatar
    RenegadeRows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RenegadeRows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RenegadeRows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RenegadeRows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RenegadeRows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RenegadeRows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RenegadeRows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RenegadeRows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RenegadeRows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RenegadeRows has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RenegadeRows has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It is very bad to lift on an empty stomache, including an empty stomache with some creatine or NO-xplode in it. Like the guy above said, you have no fuel. I suggest if you lift early in the morning, eat something before you lift, even toast. Carbs/Food = Energy, Energy = A better workout. Wake up an hour early, eat a good breakfast. Lifting on an emtpy stomache just means your body pulls nutrients from your muscles and storage. It's a double negative - trying to build muscle while your muscles are eating themselves away!
    CONTROLLED LABS - WINNING The WAR Against Genetics
    RenegadeRows [@] controlledlabs.com

MCWTRAINER is a name known to all. (+5000) MCWTRAINER is a name known to all. (+5000) MCWTRAINER is a name known to all. (+5000) MCWTRAINER is a name known to all. (+5000) MCWTRAINER is a name known to all. (+5000) MCWTRAINER is a name known to all. (+5000) MCWTRAINER is a name known to all. (+5000) MCWTRAINER is a name known to all. (+5000) MCWTRAINER is a name known to all. (+5000) MCWTRAINER is a name known to all. (+5000) MCWTRAINER is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I would not suggest taking AMPED or NO-Xplode on an empty stomach first thing in the morning before you ate anything that day. I would eat something and then take AMPED and workout 30 minutes later...
    Matt Weik, BS, CSCS, CPT, CSN
    "The King of Content"
    www.MattWeik.com

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    when you wake up your are in a catobolic(muscle burning) state due to an 8+ hour fast during sleep. lifting weight, believe it out not, is also a catbolic activity. if you combine the two you are asking for muscle loss.
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/

BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes, weight training on an empty stomach is bad if you want to build muscle- according to scientific research, and a whole lot of anecdotal evidence as well.

I work out first thing in the morn also. I used to always just jump right up and do my w/o. I would have a glass of OJ immediately after and then a full meal ASAP. I used to just think, "well your muscles grow in the hours and days after a workout and what you have in the tank -during- the workout isnt crucial." WRONG!-->Well at least thats what an ocean of research says anyway... This working out on an empty stomach may have been one of the things that contributed to my frequent overtraining and hardgainer status of the past.

I have since done a lot reading into the research surrounding this and have switched up. I wish I had done this long ago! I now have whey and simple carbs about 30 minutes pre-w/o and again immediately post-w/o now. And then I go for a full meal about 60 minutes post-w/o.

Here is an excellent thread that reviews a wealth of the scientific research and its conclusions reguarding this. I would suggesting reading through this- very informative with many research articles listed!:
    http://www.forum.bodybuilding.com/sh...d.php?t=584191

And a great sticky from the nutrition forum, "Pre, During, & Postworkout Nutrition":
    http://www.forum.bodybuilding.com/sh...d.php?t=272067

Boashoak will become famous soon enough. (+50) Boashoak will become famous soon enough. (+50) Boashoak will become famous soon enough. (+50) Boashoak will become famous soon enough. (+50) Boashoak will become famous soon enough. (+50) Boashoak will become famous soon enough. (+50) Boashoak will become famous soon enough. (+50) Boashoak will become famous soon enough. (+50) Boashoak will become famous soon enough. (+50) Boashoak will become famous soon enough. (+50) Boashoak will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by RenegadeRows
    It is very bad to lift on an empty stomache, including an empty stomache with some creatine or NO-xplode in it. Like the guy above said, you have no fuel. I suggest if you lift early in the morning, eat something before you lift, even toast. Carbs/Food = Energy, Energy = A better workout. Wake up an hour early, eat a good breakfast. Lifting on an emtpy stomache just means your body pulls nutrients from your muscles and storage. It's a double negative - trying to build muscle while your muscles are eating themselves away!
    So basically, would it be alright to take a dextrose drink right before working out if you work out early in the morning?

Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would have said its bad, but after having read the warrior diet book i'm not so sure. If you have eaten properly the day before you should have no problems doing a workout in the morning on an empty stomach. Your body will use its stored supply of glycogen to fuel itself during your workout. Your meal after your workout is very important.
    Weight-198lbs
    Overhead Squat-158lbs
    Clean & Jerk-202lbs
    Snatch - 153lbs
    Deadlift - 400lbs

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
    I would have said its bad, but after having read the warrior diet book i'm not so sure. If you have eaten properly the day before you should have no problems doing a workout in the morning on an empty stomach. Your body will use its stored supply of glycogen to fuel itself during your workout. Your meal after your workout is very important.
    Thanks. I think just to be safe I'm going to have a penut butter and jelly sandwich on whole wheat bread before going to work out. That shoud give me some carbs and protein to work with. But yeah, I do eat very well so I'm not concerned about that.

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    But when your body taps into its glycogen stores you are probabaly already in a hypoglycemic state which is not good. You might be dizzy and not be able to concerntrate if you have hypoglycemia. Just eat before you lift guys.
    My Training Journal...

Check out...

Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    proper pre workout nutrition may be as effective at boosting your results in the gym if not moreso then proper post workout nutrition. I would say these effects are magnified by the fact that your allready in a catabolic state when you wake up.

a simple dextrose & whey shake when you wake definatly isnt a bad idea
    "Leave the pump in the bedroom and add some damn weight to the bar" - Dave Tate

"Train for strength, eat to grow and you will get bigger and stronger" - Someone bigger and stronger then me

Hates the word "Curls" Masta ZuZ's Avatar
    Masta ZuZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Masta ZuZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Masta ZuZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Masta ZuZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Masta ZuZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Masta ZuZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    in the body for life program, he wants you to work out first thing in the morning with only water in you. they get excellent results? i understand everything being said, but why will that program work then?

Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Lee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by RipStone
    But when your body taps into its glycogen stores you are probabaly already in a hypoglycemic state which is not good. You might be dizzy and not be able to concerntrate if you have hypoglycemia. Just eat before you lift guys.
    Possibly, i'm just going by what the guy who wrote the warrior diet says.
    Weight-198lbs
    Overhead Squat-158lbs
    Clean & Jerk-202lbs
    Snatch - 153lbs
    Deadlift - 400lbs

BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000) BlueBayou is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Possibly, i'm just going by what the guy who wrote the warrior diet says.
    It would be very foolish to take one man's word over-->

1-an ENORMOUS amount of scientific research that shows the detrimental catabolic effects of working out without proper pre- and post- w/o nutrition versus the very positive effects on anabolism of proper pre- and post- w/o nutrition!!!!!????????? (and none suggesting the contrary)

2- an ENORMOUS amount of anecdotal evidence (including ALL of those who have succeeded greatly in the sport) saying the same of the utmost importance of pre-and post- w/o nutrition.

?????????
    Last edited by BlueBayou; 10-06-2005 at 05:05 AM.

Originally Posted by BlueBayou

1-an ENORMOUS amount of scientific research that shows the detrimental catabolic effects of working out without proper pre- and post- w/o nutrition versus the very positive effects on anabolism of proper pre- and post- w/o nutrition!!!!!????????? (and none suggesting the contrary)

2- an ENORMOUS amount of anecdotal evidence (including ALL of those who have succeeded greatly in the sport) saying the same of the utmost importance of pre-and post- w/o nutrition.

?????????
    So, do you think a penut butter jelly sandwich on ww bread before working out would do the trick? I mean, it has protein, carbs and sugar. Okay, maybe two penut butter jelly sandwiches.

Originally Posted by Boashoak
    So, do you think a penut butter jelly sandwich on ww bread before working out would do the trick? I mean, it has protein, carbs and sugar. Okay, maybe two penut butter jelly sandwiches.
    That would definately be better than nothing pre-workout. Something faster like whey+ dextrose and/or maltodextrin + water might be better. Actually, research with just milk peri-w/o shows it to be quite effective also- if you digest it well. I would go for the lower fat or skim varieties though for faster digestion.

That would definately be better than nothing pre-workout. Something faster like whey+ dextrose and/or maltodextrin + water might be better. Actually, research with just milk peri-w/o shows it to be quite effective also- if you digest it well. I would go for the lower fat or skim varieties though for faster digestion.
    So basically, just a couple glasses of milk before the work-out? Thing is, I'm also taking Amped pre-workout. Should i just wait a bit after drinking the milk to take the Amped (creatine work-out supplement in case you don't knok).

Thumbs up

My Training Journal...

Check out...

?????????
    Yeah the warrior diet states it is not aimed at serious bodybuilders but really for those who are looking to lose weight and get that lean muscular 'warrior' look.
    Weight-198lbs
    Overhead Squat-158lbs
    Clean & Jerk-202lbs
    Snatch - 153lbs
    Deadlift - 400lbs