AK-Element has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK-Element has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK-Element has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK-Element has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK-Element has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK-Element has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK-Element has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK-Element has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK-Element has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK-Element has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK-Element has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Refried beans part of a healthy diet?

Ok this is kinda random, but I was wondering if refried beans are bad. They have no fat and a high amount of protein, but the "reFRIED" part throws me off. The only thing that I'd think would be a concern is the sodium, but I usually only eat 1/2 serving if that.

I tend to get on kicks with food where I'll eat the same thing for a week (bad?) and lately it's been peanut butter/wheat bread and orange for breakfast, refried beans on two 6" torillas w/ shredded chz after workout (I know the tortillas could be wheat, but I haven't been shopping since I realized that), yogurt and fruit for snack, and some kind of lean protein with vegetables and fruit for dinner (along w/ ~ 60 oz. water daily and 2-3 glasses low fat milk).

Right now I'm trying to gain muscle, does this sound alright?

blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    not for those standing behind you!!

PunktedUp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PunktedUp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PunktedUp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PunktedUp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PunktedUp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PunktedUp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PunktedUp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PunktedUp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PunktedUp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PunktedUp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PunktedUp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    If I were you I would try to get a full protein after your workout. Like chicken or beef. The tortillas are ok cause you need to replenish carbs and glucose after your workout. Keep the cheese too unless your trying to cut calories. Beans aren't 'full' proteins. I would go for something that had a mom. Maybe just throw some shredded chicken in your tortillas like the Mexicans do. With hot sauce!
    until next time: Keep fit and have fun.

Professional Eater Dedicatedforlife's Avatar
    Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AK-Element View Post
    Ok this is kinda random, but I was wondering if refried beans are bad. They have no fat and a high amount of protein, but the "reFRIED" part throws me off. The only thing that I'd think would be a concern is the sodium, but I usually only eat 1/2 serving if that.

I tend to get on kicks with food where I'll eat the same thing for a week (bad?) and lately it's been peanut butter/wheat bread and orange for breakfast, refried beans on two 6" torillas w/ shredded chz after workout (I know the tortillas could be wheat, but I haven't been shopping since I realized that), yogurt and fruit for snack, and some kind of lean protein with vegetables and fruit for dinner (along w/ ~ 60 oz. water daily and 2-3 glasses low fat milk).

Right now I'm trying to gain muscle, does this sound alright?
    Hey ummm if you are trying to gain muscle, then I would advise you to get more protein in your diet.

As for your refriend beans. There is nothing really wrong with the, except for the sodium like you mentioned. You can make your own, I have. All it really is, is beans cooked in a pot for a longer period of time. Beans are great as part of your diet, HOWEVER NOT POST WORKOUT! You need something quick digesting here, not something that will be hard for your stomach to digest...them beans have a shiat load of fiber ...

AK-Element has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK-Element has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK-Element has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK-Element has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK-Element has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK-Element has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK-Element has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK-Element has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK-Element has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK-Element has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AK-Element has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by KENKONG View Post
    not for those standing behind you!!
    Uhh thanks for the wonderful information in your reply... but refried beans really have never had that effect on me. Only cabbage, that's why I NEVER eat it

Professional Eater Dedicatedforlife's Avatar
    Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dedicatedforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Uhh thanks for the wonderful information in your reply... but refried beans really have never had that effect on me. Only cabbage, that's why I NEVER eat it
    Thats too bad because cabbage is damn good for you!

I get gas when I down 3 cups of eggwhites

blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Uhhhm, you're welcome. Can you check the nutritional information? If they're not loaded with fat like many are, eat them. But post w/o you'll want fast digesting carbs than beans.
    Last edited by KENKONG; 11-27-2007 at 01:36 PM.

gijoe985 is just really nice. (+1000) gijoe985 is just really nice. (+1000) gijoe985 is just really nice. (+1000) gijoe985 is just really nice. (+1000) gijoe985 is just really nice. (+1000) gijoe985 is just really nice. (+1000) gijoe985 is just really nice. (+1000) gijoe985 is just really nice. (+1000) gijoe985 is just really nice. (+1000) gijoe985 is just really nice. (+1000) gijoe985 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Dedicatedforlif View Post
    Beans are great as part of your diet, HOWEVER NOT POST WORKOUT! You need something quick digesting here,
    Suggestions?
    Life is like a roller coaster. There are ups and downs. Time to start climbing again!

cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Texmex is probably my favorite food, and I love cooking with beans. Here's a 10 minute fajitas recipe that anyone can do....

Cyde's badass fajitas (adjust spiciness to your liking):

1 lb. chicken or steak cut into strips
    1 to 2 jalapenos thinly sliced
    1 tbsp. cumin
    1 tbsp. paprika
    1/2 to 1 tsp. cayanne pepper
    1/2 red onion sliced
    1/2 can of black beans (rinsed) [or you can add refried beans to the tortilla before serving]
    1 tsp. pepper
    fresh cilantro
    2 tbsp. olive oil

Throw everything into a ziplock bag and shake vigorously. While this is marinading, grab a large skillet and heat up the oil. Allow the oil to get very hot, then dump the contents of the bag and get ready to stir. Once your steak is cooked, kill the heat. It should take about six to eight minutes to cook. Serve on your favorite tortilla with lots of queso!

For post workout, stick with whey + water (or) milk with fruit (or) dextrose.
    Last edited by cyde; 11-27-2007 at 02:02 PM.