breezein has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Exercise-induced Amenorrhea or Body Fat too low?

I missed my period by more than 2 weeks now. I have lost over a 100 lbs in just over 2 years (so nothing too quick), I workout at least 1 hour a day, now I read that the body fat % can cause it. Has anyone else had this happen? I checked my % with an online calculator and it says I'm at 15-16% but when I check it at home my BF Scale says anywhere from 15% to 21%.Believe it or not it varies that much, when your right out of the shower (when your feet are damp) it's the lowest at 15% in the morning for some reason it's 21%.

I noticed a bit of muscle gain just recently and have had some comments like "oh you must workout" etc. So there has been a change lately. I have some problems with skin being lose that is finally tightening up since getting the % down.

Could the weight loss cause it? I'm not dieting just eating much better. I usually eat between 1650 - 1900 cal. a day. This is the first month missing so I guess I'll wait it out and see if it shows up. I know if I go to the Dr. they'll give me a lecture about working out too much or something.

soldieress has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soldieress has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soldieress has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soldieress has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soldieress has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soldieress has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soldieress has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soldieress has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soldieress has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soldieress has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) soldieress has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    "I know if I go to the Dr. they'll give me a lecture about working out too much or something."

Are you? Personally i'd rather be safe than sorry. Have you dropped fat significantly in the past month? Also, perhaps your gym or some place similar might be able to provide you with a more accurate body fat reading.

Other reasons:

- you might be pregnant.
    - are you on the contraceptive pill or injection?

Originally Posted by soldieress
    Are you? Personally i'd rather be safe than sorry. Have you dropped fat significantly in the past month? Also, perhaps your gym or some place similar might be able to provide you with a more accurate body fat reading.

Other reasons:

- you might be pregnant.
    - are you on the contraceptive pill or injection?
    Well I didn't think I was working out too much? I workout with weights 3 times a week and do cardio on the alternating 3 days (1 hour a day). Then on Sunday I ride my bike with my husband for about an hour or so.

I know I'm not pregnant (I had a tubal 6 years ago when I had my son). So not on BC pills either. I guess I'll give it a few weeks and if noting happens by the time I should start next time I'll go tot he Dr.

onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Absolutely, positively see the doc right now to rule out possible medical complications. I went through it 2 years ago and the doc rushed me in. Checked for cancer, pregnancy, thyroid, diseases, etc. No problems. I worked out a lot, but I would attribute my problem at the time to stress (because I work out a lot harder now and still have a period). They can kick-start your period with a change in hormones if they deem it necessary. Docs know best in this arena...better to be safe than sorry!

It's Supposed to Hurt! Thuirwyne's Avatar
    Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000)
    Congratulations on your weightloss!

Your bodyfat would usually need to be below 12% to start effecting your periods.

Also, working out too hard may or may not switch up your cycle. Most docs will tell you not to worry about missing one if everything else checks out ok.
    Food Aggressive

CourtneyD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CourtneyD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CourtneyD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CourtneyD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CourtneyD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CourtneyD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CourtneyD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CourtneyD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CourtneyD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CourtneyD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CourtneyD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Your bf does not have to be below 12% to lose your period. It varies for different women.

I had hypothallamic amenorrhea, and it was because I lost about 1/3 of my body weight. I did it healthfully, and I didn't become too underweight (I went from 150 to 105, back up to about 115). I had a lot of bloodwork done and monitored my hormonal imbalances with my doctors. In my case, my body had a bit of a freak out and figured that getting pregnant would not be good - for all it knew I was in a famine or something.

Get some bloodwork done. If your general physician doesn't pay much attention to your problem, see an endocrynologist.

Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000)
    Bump to CourtneyD on your doc vs. endocrinologist.

I was looking at it strictly from a bodyfat as being the cause perspective. And yes, like everything else, it depends on the person; some women/18% can have amenorrhea. The 12%# comes from women I know who have competed in different types of physique contests as well as triathalons, etc.

Personally I went from 160 to 118 with hydrostatic bf% of 10% and STILL had a period (bloated for competition-"You had abs yesterday?") But at another time was at a normal weight and average bf% and skipped a period.

In any case with amenorrhea, there's something hormonal going on.

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/84/6/1892
    http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/..._02/warren.htm

It could also be oligomenorrhea.
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/cgi/mesh/2K/M...Oligomenorrhea
    Food Aggressive

arbeard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    !!!Congrats with your loss!!!

Originally Posted by CourtneyD
    Get some bloodwork done. If your general physician doesn't pay much attention to your problem, see an endocrynologist.
    That's the best advice for something like that. Your body is completely unique to you. No one here has a body like yours. It's always best to seek professional advice with something like that.

I haven't had one for years, going on about 6 or so. I've been a competitive athlete for at least 8. I've have one child (2 years) and I'm on B.C. Because of all this I have to take in extra amounts of calcium, folic acid and iron not to mention fiber, YUCK! Amenorrea and B.C. can such the calcium out of your bones, osteoperosis warning!!!

I wouldn't recommend using internet docs because they can make you go nuts thinking that it is something that it is not. Even medical students make that mistake. Diagnosis is best left to the pros...Don't sweat it

Good luck!

Thanks for the info it made me think about some things I didn't think of before. I think I'll wait and see what happens with it this month. I just want to see if it's a skipped one or if it continues. Then if it does continue I'll go see the Dr.

Maddyg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maddyg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maddyg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maddyg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maddyg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maddyg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maddyg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maddyg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maddyg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maddyg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maddyg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I haven't had my period in ages.
    My Doctor said it's due to my low BF, which is just under 12%, or at least was at the time.

Registered User Makeupmonsterdo's Avatar
    Makeupmonsterdo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Makeupmonsterdo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Makeupmonsterdo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Makeupmonsterdo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Makeupmonsterdo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Makeupmonsterdo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Makeupmonsterdo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Makeupmonsterdo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Makeupmonsterdo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Makeupmonsterdo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Makeupmonsterdo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Thuirwyne
    I was looking at it strictly from a bodyfat as being the cause perspective. And yes, like everything else, it depends on the person; some women/18% can have amenorrhea.

Yep, that's me. As soon as I get to 17 or 18 percent, my period goes buh-bye.

Registered User TigerAngelLeigh's Avatar
    TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Stress can also be a factor.

mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Thuirwyne
    Bump to CourtneyD on your doc vs. endocrinologist.

I was looking at it strictly from a bodyfat as being the cause perspective. And yes, like everything else, it depends on the person; some women/18% can have amenorrhea. The 12%# comes from women I know who have competed in different types of physique contests as well as triathalons, etc.

Personally I went from 160 to 118 with hydrostatic bf% of 10% and STILL had a period (bloated for competition-"You had abs yesterday?") But at another time was at a normal weight and average bf% and skipped a period.

In any case with amenorrhea, there's something hormonal going on.

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/84/6/1892
    http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/..._02/warren.htm

It could also be oligomenorrhea.
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/cgi/mesh/2K/M...Oligomenorrhea
    These are excellent articles. Thanks for the links. I'm going to read them thoroughly. I have the same problem. Well...was told by two physicians that it isn't a problem but I think it's starting to be one. My amenorrhea is causing other problems like lack of libido, hot flashes, ect. So as a result I'm going to see a third doctor about it now. Thanks again

Hope they help! It's irritating that most doctors either seem to wait until there is a bigger problem before doing anything or over-medicate instead of thouroughly investigating. It would be good to have a doc somewhere in between!
    Food Aggressive

featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50) featherz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I lost mine at 17-18% as well. I'm told it's probably because my BF is too low for *ME*, overexercising or both. No hot flashes or any other symptoms, thyroid is fine, etc. I'm eating like a lil piggie and adding good fats, red meat, etc - we shall see if it helps.

I called the Dr's office...

and they want me to come in for blood work (thyroid and prolactin test) and then see the doctor to talk about the test on Sept. 15th. She said if the test are all ok then the Dr. will give me some RX to start my period.

It's seems like a long time to wait to see the Dr. but maybe that will give it time to fix itself. I guess it's just wait and see.

Hawaii Warrior Football! bluescorpion's Avatar
    bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I've read that it is exacerbated by too fast of a weight lost. For example, your body might naturally be able to get to 12% (it varies a lot) but if you do a sudden loss it may begin at a higher percentage. I had it happen as a teenager when I was doing too much running and my body weight dropped too rapidly. Years later I was actually at a lower percentage (14%) and had no problems.

mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    All this talk and reading about amenorrhea made me get my period..finally Maybe the DHEA I've been taking actually did help me with this...I wonder.

Congratulations?
    Food Aggressive