wannabehotmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wannabehotmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wannabehotmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wannabehotmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Leg Extensions bad for you?

I work at a YMCA and I found out yesterday that we are getting some brand new equipment. The Director is taking out all the leg extension machines, she sais that there is new research that shows that doing leg extensions is very bad for the knees and is a major cause of knee injuries. Apparently they are not doing leg extensions during physical therapy anymore either.

Anyone heard of this? If the machine is not set right it does hurt my knees, so I have to be careful to adjust everything correctly. I'm wondering if too many members complained about their knees hurting so they decided to get rid of the machines, using a bogus reason.
    Army wife - toughest job in the army!

Goal: To lose the 45 lbs I gained during my 4th pregnancy
    Update: Reached goal on 9/28/07!
    15 more lbs to go for my goal weight of 150

What I'm eating: http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=brenlorken

http://www.myspace.com/brenlorken

Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    OneHotMama

The leg extensions are not good for sports. They put un-needed stress on certain ligaments around the knee aera. Also, there are many other great exercises to hit the quads that will also force you to use the stabalizer muscles- which is greatly desired in sports. This is why coaches do not recomend this exercise- there are better

However, that being said and for the sake of body building- it does build good muscle (yes, you all feel the burn on those!) and will develop a nice quad muscle 'look'
    So, for body shaping- use it (unless it hurts your knees), but sports specific, there are better options

*I will try to find an article on this to give you a reference. I didn't just make all that up, but I don't have a source to site at the moment
    Right now it doesn't matter what the results will be.
    Whats more important is that you test the waters. You share the story.. you add a different aspect to your recovery..

Leap and the net will appear..

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don't recommend leg extensions to people who have pre-existing knee injuries, and let's face that, a LOT of women do. I agree with Megin that there are better leg exercises that work stabilisers, core and lower back as well.

beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what kinds of machines can be used for legs? the only one at my gym (out of the ones I've tried) that doesn't hurt my knees is the squat machine, and even that is more for the butt than anything else.

Maddyg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maddyg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maddyg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maddyg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maddyg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maddyg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maddyg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maddyg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maddyg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maddyg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maddyg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've heard that before as well.. that they aren't knee-friendly... however, never having previous knee issues, I include extentions in my routine... not a massbuilder, but a great machine for definition.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by wannabehotmama
    I work at a YMCA and I found out yesterday that we are getting some brand new equipment. The Director is taking out all the leg extension machines, she sais that there is new research that shows that doing leg extensions is very bad for the knees and is a major cause of knee injuries. Apparently they are not doing leg extensions during physical therapy anymore either.

Anyone heard of this? If the machine is not set right it does hurt my knees, so I have to be careful to adjust everything correctly. I'm wondering if too many members complained about their knees hurting so they decided to get rid of the machines, using a bogus reason.
    Leg extensions are only bad if they are done from an extreme stretch which most machines don't do now. Even then, it is only sometimes.

As an exercise, they are probably the best exercise for the vastus medialis or the "teardrop" muscle above the knee.

This kind of stuff re: exercises happens every couple of years. Usually with leg exercises especially squats and extensions, they are good or bad depending who you talk to.

I would just not do exercises that bother you, and use common sense when doing the others.

barenaked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barenaked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barenaked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barenaked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barenaked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barenaked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barenaked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barenaked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barenaked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barenaked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barenaked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Defiant1
    As an exercise, they are probably the best exercise for the vastus medialis or the "teardrop" muscle above the knee.
    I agree. Extensions have done wonders for said muscle.
    I would just not do exercises that bother you, and use common sense when doing the others.
    As someone with a long history of sports-related knee injuries, I can honestly say that the leg extension has never bothered me. I've always been careful not to push too hard. Like Defiant1 said, "use common sense"
    Nuke. Pave. Repeat.

MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Defiant1
    Leg extensions are only bad if they are done from an extreme stretch which most machines don't do now. Even then, it is only sometimes.

This kind of stuff re: exercises happens every couple of years. Usually with leg exercises especially squats and extensions, they are good or bad depending who you talk to.

I agree. I received best gains on extensions by avoiding the stretch and only lowering half way. You can definately feel the difference.

I don't think they should remove extensions from the gym. That's just stupid. But hey, my gym took the seated calf raise machine out because some moron told the owner it's useless, that you hit the calves with the standing raises and calves on the leg press. This is why random people shouldn't own gyms... they know nothing.