Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    teechur20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teechur20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teechur20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Totally cutting out sugar?

Is this a realistic approach to help stop binge eating? I am convinced sugar leads me astray over and over again (that and emotional issues which I know I need to deal with as well). Once I get a taste of sugary treats, it sends me on a rollercoaster ride that sometimes may last a day or two--or longer. Is it totally unrealistic to attempt to cut out sugar? It seems impossible to avoid forever--with birthdays and holidays, etc. Have any of you ladies made the decision to totally cut sugar out of your diets (even cheat days) and if so, how did you do it and what benefits have you found from removing it from your diet? Thanks for all opinions!
    "The only one who can stop me is me...and I can take her."

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i don't ever add plain sugar into my diet, except my PWO shake which has 25 grams dextrose in it. (having sugar after lifting is beneficial because the muscles are torn and seriously depleted of energy. giving a shot together with protein helps aid the recovery.)
    other than that, i've been eating clean foods as long as i remember so sugar doesn't come into it - not disguised as cookies, soda, cakes, dressings or other goo. i don't miss it either. the less sugary foods you eat, the less you crave them, absolutely. sucrose/dextrose is a simple carb which raises blood sugar levels very quick. when they drop, the level drops below normal and you're left with a crash: fatigue, nausea AND cravings from hell. complex carbs are better since they're absorbed at a slower rate and help you feel full longer. but then you already knew that
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I can honestly say that I have given up sugar....
    I allow myself one "cheat" meal a week, which I thought I would use towards chocolate or something sugary, but I haven't touched it. I don't even remember the last time I had a chocolate, and I don't miss it at all. I can assure you that it takes a lot of willpower to ignore the temptations.

But when you say you go on a binge, there has to be some reason you are bingeing on it. Whether it is emotional, stress Or you are restricting your diet too much?

Yes it is possible to avoid sugar, it just takes a lot of determination and consistency.
    You don't have to cut it out completely, but it will hinder your progress if you keep bingeing on it.

The benefits that I have had because I cut sugar out of my diet are
    1) Clean, radiant skin.
    2) I don't get those rollercoasters of raising/dropping insulin levels.
    3) No more sugar headaches.
    4) My teeth are healthier.
    5) Lowers my risk of Diabetes.

There are so many benefits for staying away from sugar, it would take me forever to list all.
    It helps to distract yourself when you start craving anything you would regret later.

But if you do decide to cut it out of your diet, I wish you the Best of luck. You can dooo eeeet!
    Last edited by SexyChic; 08-22-2005 at 11:51 PM.

mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by teechur20
    Is this a realistic approach to help stop binge eating? I am convinced sugar leads me astray over and over again (that and emotional issues which I know I need to deal with as well). Once I get a taste of sugary treats, it sends me on a rollercoaster ride that sometimes may last a day or two--or longer. Is it totally unrealistic to attempt to cut out sugar? It seems impossible to avoid forever--with birthdays and holidays, etc. Have any of you ladies made the decision to totally cut sugar out of your diets (even cheat days) and if so, how did you do it and what benefits have you found from removing it from your diet? Thanks for all opinions!
    I have completely cut out sugar out of my diet. This was a gradual process and not something I did overnight. I cut out things like sugar in my coffee and replaced it with Splenda and now I don't even add Splenda to my coffee. I hardly even drink diet pop. I truly believe sugar is an addiction or a habit or both. The longer you stay away from it the easier it will get but every time you give in it comes back. I have 3 kids so I know all about birthdays and cakes and so on....besides this, my kids and dh have awesome metabolisms and need the extra calories. I have learned to just not eat their junk and once your brain forgets about it, it does get a lot easier. I had a cheat dessert for the first time in a couple of months last weekend...it was a Dairy Queen Blizzard full of sugar. I gotta tell you....my head was spinning from the sugar because I'm not used to it...I actually felt buzzed or something.

And don't forget about all those benefits like SexyChic mentioned

LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    refined sugar, along with high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), are two of the WORST possible NON-nutrients to consume. they do NOTHING positive for your body health, and can lead to all sorts of 'harmful' eating habits.

you get plenty of 'true sugars' from eating fruits.

best,
    lifer
    They ARE who we THOUGHT they were.....

Signe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Signe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Signe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Signe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Signe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Signe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Signe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Signe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Signe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Signe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Signe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You know, I didn't cut out sugar from my diet, yet I have no cravings anymore whatsoever. I cut out "high fructose corn syrup" - completely. It's not even in the ketchup I use. Now when I want something sweet, I can have one tiny square of organic dark chocolate and be totally satisfied (I've had the same bar in my cupboard for 2 weeks). This is a welcome change and a far cry from polishing off a pint of Ben and Jerry's or a pan of brownies (as I was doing, regularly, and hating myself for it).

I also eat a lot of fruit though - you'd be amazed at how well a handful of dates or ripe blueberries can kill a sweets craving. I'd also like to mention that I don't binge (and don't want to) on non-sweet foods anymore either (chips, fried stuff, etc).
    The question is not who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me?
    -Ayn Rand

dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i've cut out refined sugars as well, and the cravings are non-existent. even for cheat meals, i don't want refined sugars b/c now they make me feel sick (and i'll have to deal with cravings for the following few days).

once i get it out of my system, i find it's much easier to leave it alone completely.

fee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yah I eat absolutely no sugar, personally I think good grapes or something are just as good as sugary stuff, also I have stevia for cooking or to put in my shakes or whatever, it does take some getting used to, but now I usually like it better then sugar in stuff. I honestly don't have any cravings for real sugar anymore. I think it's just a matter of getting used to not having it.

teechur20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teechur20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) teechur20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So the main message I'm getting here is that it can be done! I have done some research as well and it's true, sugar and all the 'disguised' sugars offer no nutritional anything except to keep the government and sugar producers rolling in the billions of dollars. We've been duped! Kind of funny, this morning I was watching SpongeBob with my daughter on Nickelodeon and an excellent 'be careful with sugar' commercial came on and discussed all the evils of sugars and how to become a better label reader. It was cute, the sugar character was a bag of sugar puppet with a face and when they talked about how sugar disguises itself as fructose, etc. the bag had on one of those fake glasses and mustaches--funny stuff. Also, they gave then hint that all the disguises ryhme with GROSS..anyway, thought it was a great message for kids.

Ok, well, thanks for letting me know it can be done. I think for me it's best to go cold turkey! Thanks everyone! Kim

Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50) Helene will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm like that too, once I start with sugar, I can't stop. I'm totally outta control and stuffing my face with it. Sooo, what I'm trying now is instead of including sugar in my cheat meal (because it always consisted of sugar and way too much) have grease insead. I mean something like pizza or fries etc..And most of the time I don't even feel like having it.

But it also happens that I eat sugar in moderation like a couple of jubjubes etc..but in order to do that, I have to be in the possession of only a small quantity.
    WORKOUT
    M: Full body workout
    T: Off
    W: Full body workout
    T: Off
    F: Off
    S: Full body workout
    S: OFF

Walk dog 1 hour a day.

DIET
    Protein and good fats, low carb

Goal: Loose fat and gain muscle!

Just do it!
    Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated!
    You are what you eat!

TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hmm... I don't use sugar as in white or brown sugar, but instead I use honey...

But I think what you're really talking about is cutting out "sweet" stuff, not sugar per se... I dunno about that, I think that sounds quite unrealistic... I usually go for soy pudings, muesli, muesli bars, fruit and honey for sweet stuff, and I have 1-2 pieces of dark chocolate a day as a must...

freakeefranky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freakeefranky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freakeefranky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freakeefranky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freakeefranky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freakeefranky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freakeefranky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freakeefranky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freakeefranky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freakeefranky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freakeefranky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey kim...i've noticed that u've asked lots of Qs re cutting back on sugar.... i went cold turkey and the first 2 days were hard,after that i felt better n didn't crave sugar anymore..this site might help

http://www.thirdage.com/news/article...050616-03.html
    ------train hard or go home----
    ------danger!this girl flips automatically------
    ------it's not just a sport,it's my life-----
    ------You perform the way you practice-----
    ------Champions have made a habit of doing what others find boring or uncomfortable-----
    ------Today's training is tomorrow's performance-----

No More Guess-timates Ms. Highside's Avatar
    Ms. Highside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ms. Highside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ms. Highside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ms. Highside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ms. Highside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ms. Highside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ms. Highside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ms. Highside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ms. Highside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ms. Highside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ms. Highside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I totally cut out sugar a while back when I tried Atkins. I never felt better in my life... although my lifts were weaker then normal. I'm seriously considering a CKD/Keto style diet for a while because I notice that when I don't eat sugar/carbs...

I don't have the constant cravings that I've grown accustomed to on lowfat eating

I don't have gas/bloating (both ends...***blushing**)

I have more energy in the morning... as well as throughout the day, without caffine. (didn't touch caffine for over a year... but now I feel that I NEED it everday)

I'm going to miss brown rice, ezekiel bread, lowcarb whole grain tortillas, oats, and some of the higher GI fruits. (atleast until the refeed days, so it can't be that hard to handle)

I've been reading in the Keto forum the last few days so I think I'm going to try that, starting next week. I've got too many high carb foods to finish up before I begin. It's going to be alot different then Atkins because of the post workout carbs and the refeed weekends. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out for me because I've been having the hardest time with cheating and cravings ever since I switched to lowfat/high carb.
    www.AOL scanner.com

naomi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) naomi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) naomi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) naomi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) naomi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) naomi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) naomi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) naomi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) naomi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) naomi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) naomi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by SexyChic
    5) Lowers my risk of Diabetes.
    Just a note, but sugar in your diet does not lead to diabetes.

Ms. Highside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ms. Highside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ms. Highside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ms. Highside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ms. Highside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ms. Highside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ms. Highside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ms. Highside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ms. Highside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ms. Highside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ms. Highside has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Also.... I noticed that when I ate something with sugar in it, I'd crave sugary things for several hours afterwards. I don't notice the same thing with low GI fruits, luckily.
    www.AOL scanner.com

mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by naomi
    Just a note, but sugar in your diet does not lead to diabetes.

Actually sugar DOES lead to Diabetes mainly because of the constant elevated insulin levels which cause storage of fat. It doesn't mean that every person who eats lots of sugar will develop it but it is a contributing factor. What happens is that sugar leads to obesity which leads to the development of Type II diabetes. This is not always the case but as we all know there is an epidemic of obese people and of diabetics as well and there is a corrilation. That said...often diabetes can be controlled without medication just by watching ones diet...mainly sugar.

http://www.naturodoc.com/library/nutrition/sugar.htm
    Last edited by mommy*2*3; 08-24-2005 at 11:35 AM.

Originally Posted by TurbulentFluid
    Hmm... I don't use sugar as in white or brown sugar, but instead I use honey...

But I think what you're really talking about is cutting out "sweet" stuff, not sugar per se... I dunno about that, I think that sounds quite unrealistic... I usually go for soy pudings, muesli, muesli bars, fruit and honey for sweet stuff, and I have 1-2 pieces of dark chocolate a day as a must...
    You are right...there is a difference between unprocessed, unfiltered honey or pure maple syrup vs. processed maple syrup ( which is made of corn syrup mostly) or regular table sugar. The natural forms of sugar are metabolized differently in our bodies...but should still be kept under check. The 72% dark chocolate is the best (not very sweet) and hardly any added sugar with lots of fiber.

SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by mommy*2*3
    Actually sugar DOES lead to Diabetes mainly because of the constant elevated insulin levels which cause storage of fat. It doesn't mean that every person who eats lots of sugar will develop it but it is a contributing factor. What happens is that sugar leads to obesity which leads to the development of Type II diabetes. This is not always the case but as we all know there is an epidemic of obese people and of diabetics as well and there is a corrilation. That said...often diabetes can be controlled without medication just by watching ones diet...mainly sugar.

Well said.
    ΛΣΣ Squat Booty Society~

GeneK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

sweetener

Are you ladies talking about just "sugar" or "cut sugar" as in cut anything that tastes sweet including splenda and all those sweeteners our there? When you say you crave sugar after having sugar, does it happen with sweeteners like splenda too or only the pure sugar?

I crave for sugar after having sugar, so I'm trying to cut sugar too. I've done it very well for a couple of weeks but this weekend as soon as I had sugar I was craving for it like crazy, it lasted from Saturday till.... today I'm still craving like there's no tomorrow. The attempt to cut sugar completely was an apparent failure because of this backfire I'm suffering now. So I thought about keeping the "sweet" taste in my diet by using sweeteners; in other words, cut the sugar but keep the taste so that I don't become sweet deprived and binge again. But after having an Atkins bar (2g carb) which supposedly doesn't have any sugar, I am craving for another one as I'm typing here..... and now I'm craving for cakes and muffin kind of sugar!

So does this craving come from any kind of sweet taste then? Should I give it another try cutting sugar & sweets completely or try to get the sweets from splenda?

Genek.... I wouldn't TOUCH anything with sugar alcohols in it (atkins bars). Artificial sweetners don't mess with me, but sugar alcohols get me sick and do cause me cravings.

If you're trying to break from sugar, I'd try going cold turkey for about 2 weeks, then slowly adding splenda, or better yet, stevia beck in for the sweet taste you desire. I would stay clear away from anything with sugar alcohols in it... maltitol, mannitol, xylitol, etc....
    www.AOL scanner.com

GeneK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Ms. Highside
    Genek.... I wouldn't TOUCH anything with sugar alcohols in it (atkins bars). Artificial sweetners don't mess with me, but sugar alcohols get me sick and do cause me cravings.

If you're trying to break from sugar, I'd try going cold turkey for about 2 weeks, then slowly adding splenda, or better yet, stevia beck in for the sweet taste you desire. I would stay clear away from anything with sugar alcohols in it... maltitol, mannitol, xylitol, etc....
    Really? I didn't know sugar alcohol does that. So what do I do now that I'm already ON this crazy ride? I can't go cold turkey now because I want sugar! It literally feels like a rollercoaster ride because once you're on it even though you feel sick you can't get off until the ride is over; For me I'm feeling sick and gross due to the sugar consumption over the last few days but I still can't get off; I want more. What do I do to get off of this and have a fresh start? (I tried quiting yesterday but failed again and today's craving is worse than yesterday's)...

HisKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HisKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HisKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HisKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HisKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HisKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HisKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HisKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HisKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HisKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HisKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Thank you Teechur for asking this question and for everyone who answered! I have been researching this too and wondering if eating sugar causes more cravings for it and if it can be cut out easily. (Aside from natural sugars.) I am encouraged to know it can be done! I have never craved sugar so much as I have these past few days. I think it might be because of the fruit and nut bars that I been eating. (Parents gave me a Costco box of them.....) Anyway, thanks again everyone!

I have gone on a NO sweetner/sugar diet in the past... only using stevia for a mild sweetness. No splenda, no fruit, etc... It IS hard, but after the first few days, it gets much easier. I noticed that even Splenda keeps me from losing weight sometimes, and can also encourage sweet cravings.

I find it easier to use splenda then to avoid it completely, so I take the good with the bad. Once I'm off sugar, low GI fruits don't seem to cause me any trouble... but one taste of real sugar and all the cravings start back again.

IMO: SUGAR IS ADDICTIVE !!! (just like alcohol, cigarettes, etc...) We just choose to accept it as legal because on this planet, we love our sweets, regardless of the consequences it can cause.

I'd love to see our government put high taxes on foods that are processed and full of white flour and sugar.... and see how that effects our waistlines. (never happen... and it would suck that the gov't would have to step in and screw with our freedoms that way too)

Just venting... sorry to hijack your post.
    www.AOL scanner.com

naomi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) naomi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) naomi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) naomi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) naomi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) naomi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) naomi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) naomi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) naomi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) naomi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) naomi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by mommy*2*3

My point is just that having sugar in your diet, whether it be high or low, isn't the cause of diabetes. Being over weight is, and sugar isn't the only thing that causes obesity. It's wrong to say that eating sugar will cause diabetes.

Eating too much sugar doesn't cause diabetes. But a diet high in fat and calories leads to obesity, a major risk factor for type 2 diabetes.

http://www.ohiohealth.com/healthrefe...gory=questions

Sugar doesn't cause diabetes. Diabetes is an in-born error in the metabolism when your body doesn’t' produce enough insulin and stop metabolizing the sugar in your blood.

http://www.bet.com/Health/sugarchat.htm

No one knows what causes diabetes. Some people with diabetes don't make enough insulin; others, especially if overweight, have enough insulin but it doesn't work well. The result is high blood sugar following meals, primarily if the meal is very big. We know that eating habits don't cause diabetes but are very important for control.

http://www.wegmans.com/eatwelllivewell/diabetes/iq.asp

Conclusion? Sugar does NOT cause diabetes. This is probably the most common misconception about diabetes. If you have diabetes, you do need to watch your sugar and carbohydrate intake to properly manage your blood sugar level with the help of your doctor and dietitian. However, if you do not have diabetes, sugar intake will not cause diabetes.

Like everything, keep it in moderation. Sugar isn't bad. I don't cut it out, I just learn to control my intake. The more you try to restrict and prohibit, the greater the chances you will snap and binge on sweets. Sugar isn't evil and won't make you any fatter than other foods you consume in excess. Calories in, calories out. Eating sugar DOES NOT mean you will get diabetes later on in life.
    Last edited by naomi; 08-25-2005 at 08:29 AM.

Wow! I have learned so much from posting this question! Thanks everyone for all the great responses.

To respond about the artificial sweeteners...just the word artificial should raise a red flag, in my opinion. Splenda gives me awful bloating and gas, the sugar alcohols give me horrendous cramps and, ahem, bathroom issues, I use products with aspartame on a rare occasions (in diet soda mostly). The one sweetner I use is Stevia--a natural herb that just can't be designated as a 'sweetener' by the FDA because of the loss of billions of dollars by the artificial sweetener mega corporations--that's an oversimplified statement, I know, but at the heart of it, it's true.

I am now into day three of sugar free!

beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I hope I can get up the willpower to go sugar-free. I've been sitting here thinking about everything I can't eat if I do go sugar free, and it's a lot!

my mom has completely cut sugar out of her diet for a while now. I guess when you break out of it for long enough, you won't want sugar. she can't eat sugar now because it makes her physically sick.

she also forced my dad to go sugar free (and low carb) for two weeks because last time he went to the doctor he was told that if he didn't clean up his diet immediately, he would develop diabetes. it's the oly time I've seen my mom really take control and tell my dad he had to do things her way or else. within two weeks his stomach was visibly smaller, and all his old clothes are fitting him much better now...and he's excited about that.

haha..just by typing up this post I am almost totally convinced that I should do it, too.

I am already feeling so much better and I'm only three days in. It is a fact that your body does not NEED sugar--we get enough from fruit and veggies--anything above and beyond those naturally occurring sugars is just that--extra and unnecessary. For me it's more of a mental thing...feeling like I'm giong to miss out on so much, but really what will I miss out on? Feeling crappy! So, I'm going with it!

loribelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lots of interesting info on this thread-glad I clicked it. I've never paid much attention to this before. I don't buy processed stuff and avoid cakes etc. We do get sugar in tea. I'm Southern...I ain't giving up my sweet tea for anything lol. I prefer the real stuff to splenda, sweet n low etc.

beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beanbag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by loribelle
    I'm Southern...I ain't giving up my sweet tea for anything lol.
    I'm middle eastern so tea is a staple here, too. have you ever tried it black? it's somewhat bitter, so some people don't like it, but I actually prefer it to sweetened tea.

if you're interested, try buying some eastern tea leaves (my family mixes indian and persian leaves) and brewing them, and leaving out the sugar. you may or may not like the taste, but it does taste different from the tea here that you get in tea bags and such.

I don't think I saw any specific foods mentioned in here, but beyond the obvious cakes and ice cream and the like, what unexpected foods contain sugar? (I can read labels on cans and boxes, but for things like restaurant foods or take out that don't have labels attached.)

Hey Beanbag--it really is amazing when you find out how much food has sugar in it. Here are a few tips for eating out. I'm getting my information from a book called "Get the Sugar Out: 501 Simple Ways to Cut the Sugar Out of Any Diet" by Ann Louise Gittleman. Her suggestions for cutting out sugar at restuarants:

For breakfast--the obvious, no croissants, pastries, etc. Syrups, jams, fruit crepes, granola, fruit flavored yogurt, sausage, ham, and bacon

Key restaurants phrases to watch out for: carmelized, glazed, syrup, a restaurants 'own special sweet sauce'

BBQ sauces and honey based mustards/dressing--huge disguises for big sugar

"Light fare" like pasta salad, frozen yogurt, fruit salads--all laden with sugar

She recommends just be inquisitive about how meals are prepared and specify your wants (like asking for whole grain rather than white bread, etc.)

As far as takeout: avoid fries--this sounded so gross to me, most restuarants dip their fries in a sugar solution before frying--I may never touch a fry again! Ketchup, dressings and special sauces often have tons of sugar--often sugar is the key ingredient. She really recommends if you're on the go pack your own food or go for a fresh salad bar whenever possible. Many fast food places are offering some pretty decent, healthy choices now as well.

Hope that helped a little!
    Last edited by teechur20; 08-25-2005 at 07:21 PM.