Thread: Fad Diets?

Shea125 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shea125 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shea125 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shea125 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shea125 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shea125 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shea125 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shea125 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Fad Diets?

Is it just me, or are honest tailored workout and cutting diets being bastardized and turned into fads? Let's take, for example, the latest mass interest in "low carb" and "carb cycling" - not coming from pre-comp competitors but from folks just wanting to lose (notice I said LOSE not LOOSE) weight. Suddenly, it's the next Atkin's or something.
    It's like, no matter how much you try to honestly help people, all they want is a quick fix. And when it doesn't work, they get sick, or they gain the weight back upon returning to their old habits, it's all your fault!
    Ugh! It's about being healthy, eating clean, and exercising regularly. It's a lifestyle, not a passing phase damn it!
    Okay, another rant complete.

Sabrina_113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sabrina_113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sabrina_113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sabrina_113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sabrina_113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sabrina_113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sabrina_113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sabrina_113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sabrina_113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sabrina_113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sabrina_113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I started a self-styled diet and fitness plan three months ago for weight loss and improved health. I never tried to lose more than the 1-2 pounds of fat a week - I am changing my lifestyle and don't want a quick fix, plus I wasn't willing to pay the price of compromised metabolism, cutting into muscle or other tissues, etc.

Since I started, two other people did so after me, both on fad diets. I worked very hard and approached every pound lost with research and careful planning. Yet both friends "melted away" pounds - one lost fifteen pounds in about half the time it took me to do so. The other lost over nine pounds in a week and a half! One is using what I understand is a bodybuilding technique right before competitions, lots of protein and fat, no carbs until ketosis, then carbs again, then back to protein, etc. But while the diet is being followed, my friend is not exercising at all, which doesn't make much sense to me.

My only consolation is that I have earned each pound lost and know from bodyfat calculations that it is, in fact, my bodyfat being reduced. My diet is healthy, not eliminating much needed nutrients or eating in an imbalanced way for fast results. My diet and fitness routine will be possible to maintain even when I'm done. I already see both friends struggling with having to stick to the tight guidelines of their diets, and often eating what's not supposed to be on the menu.

I also visit a diet forum and am saddened by the number of people who seem interested in losing too much weight in too little time because of a reunion or whatever. Like you, I don't think weight loss should be approached with a "quick fix" in mind, it really should be a well thought out plan with healthy progress in mind.

mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Shea125
    Is it just me, or are honest tailored workout and cutting diets being bastardized and turned into fads? Let's take, for example, the latest mass interest in "low carb" and "carb cycling" - not coming from pre-comp competitors but from folks just wanting to lose (notice I said LOSE not LOOSE) weight. Suddenly, it's the next Atkin's or something.
    It's like, no matter how much you try to honestly help people, all they want is a quick fix. And when it doesn't work, they get sick, or they gain the weight back upon returning to their old habits, it's all your fault!
    Ugh! It's about being healthy, eating clean, and exercising regularly. It's a lifestyle, not a passing phase damn it!
    Yes, I have noticed this myself. Honestly, I think that low carb and carb cycling works...it's not a fad. However, you have to really understand nutrition and how it works. It's not for everyone either and yes, most of the time it's used to prep for a contest because the diet is very drastic and restricting and I wouldn't call it very healthy. It's not meant to be a lifestyle...it's meant to get you cut for one day only. Many people do not understand this. There is no way that I could stay on my precontest diet if I didn't have a show to get ready for. It' very very difficult. The weight is meant to come off slowly so you do not lose too much muscle.
    A permanent weight loss should come from a lifestyle change. Your eating habits should be changed so your new diet fits your likes and dislikes. It's something that you should be happy to live with for the rest of your life not just a quick fix.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mommy*2*3
    Yes, I have noticed this myself. Honestly, I think that low carb and carb cycling works...it's not a fad. However, you have to really understand nutrition and how it works. It's not for everyone either and yes, most of the time it's used to prep for a contest because the diet is very drastic and restricting and I wouldn't call it very healthy. It's not meant to be a lifestyle...it's meant to get you cut for one day only. Many people do not understand this. There is no way that I could stay on my precontest diet if I didn't have a show to get ready for. It' very very difficult. The weight is meant to come off slowly so you do not lose too much muscle.
    A permanent weight loss should come from a lifestyle change. Your eating habits should be changed so your new diet fits your likes and dislikes. It's something that you should be happy to live with for the rest of your life not just a quick fix.

Exactly.

Low Carb is not the fad...Low Fat is the fad. Low Carb was the way people dieted from our "original" diet, through the time of the Greeks, through Bantings "Letter on Corpulence" through the "diet plates" (cottage cheese and veggies) until the Low Fat "fad". It is only "Low Carb" relative to our screwed up modern diets.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md66.htm

DarleneM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarleneM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Low carb is not the fad. Low carb and no workouts is the fad.
    Don`t let anyone or anything get in the way of your dreams. Especially yourself.

justagirrl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Shea125
    I just heard on the radio the other day that there was this "new diet" out now called the "Three Hour Diet" where you're supposed to eat small meals every three hours and that will help you lose weight and there's going to be a book and everything....DUH!!! I was at the gym and almost fell off the bench laughing! So, someone is going to start making money off of plain old common sense now...

SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by justagirrl
    So, someone is going to start making money off of plain old common sense now...
    Hahahah! As usual....

I feel sorry for the suckers that buy into all those fads ;(