Aries80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Abs- how do you make them Pop??

Hi all, I know this may sound like a bizarre question, but what makes ones abs really "pop"...do you need to incorporate ab excercises with weights, or is this plain ole' genetics?? I know that you will not even SEE your abs unless your diet is in check, and I am currently working on my cardio and diet to help me acheive that, but are there actually excerices to help you achieve this look? This may sound totally naive, and for that I apologize, but I will use my newbie status as my qualifier and disclaimer, lol...thanks.

musclar smurfette Sunshineslynn's Avatar
    Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Diet and Low bf% come into play for this. Also genetics can make a difference but if your diet is not in check and bf% is not low enough (which varies from person to person when they will show some show at 17% and some wont until 12%), Make sure you keep your soduim intake in check also which can make you hold water on them.
    "You can't take some pill and hope your fat will jump off of you like you have the plague. You must work out and eat clean to have a lean, green, fighting machine." Sunshineslynn

'If you always do what you always did, then you will always get what you always do'

I dip, you dip, we all dip....dip to the east, dip to the west ......dip to get that tricep.

Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You'll also want to build your ab muscles up. If you're very lean without any significant muscle mass down there then there will be no ab popping.
    Simp's Back: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165133671&page=1

Working to regain strength, muscle, endurance, and lose some blubber. Damn you drinking-wine-on-the-couch. Why are you so good?

Rutgers911 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rutgers911 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rutgers911 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rutgers911 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rutgers911 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rutgers911 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rutgers911 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rutgers911 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rutgers911 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rutgers911 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rutgers911 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I personally like weighted roman sit ups, I feel like they truly work all the ab muscles and I'm hoping when I get a lower bf% I'll be able to see them...

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...hairSitup.html
    Mom / Wife / CSCS Certified

Gluten-Free + Dairy Free

Olympic Lifting-Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144433161&p=874231681#post874231681

"You can’t choose your pain, but you can choose your suffering."

R8TDSXY will become famous soon enough. (+50) R8TDSXY will become famous soon enough. (+50) R8TDSXY will become famous soon enough. (+50) R8TDSXY will become famous soon enough. (+50) R8TDSXY will become famous soon enough. (+50) R8TDSXY will become famous soon enough. (+50) R8TDSXY will become famous soon enough. (+50) R8TDSXY will become famous soon enough. (+50) R8TDSXY will become famous soon enough. (+50) R8TDSXY will become famous soon enough. (+50) R8TDSXY will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Good Question

Originally Posted by Aries80 View Post
    Hi all, I know this may sound like a bizarre question, but what makes ones abs really "pop"...do you need to incorporate ab excercises with weights, or is this plain ole' genetics?? I know that you will not even SEE your abs unless your diet is in check, and I am currently working on my cardio and diet to help me acheive that, but are there actually excerices to help you achieve this look? This may sound totally naive, and for that I apologize, but I will use my newbie status as my qualifier and disclaimer, lol...thanks.
    Everyone has their say on how to get them to pop, I have been doing 4days of cardio(morning and evenings) and I work my abs on those days. I weight train two to three days a week and I have just now started to see some of my results along with try'n to eat cleaner than I have been. For you it may be trial and error and I no you have no room for error, but you have to see what works best for you and maybe seek the help of a personal trainer, maybe. The best of luck to yah;-)
    .......Leadership demands constant achievement
    .......You are what you think about
    .......Don't settle for less than what you want

GRWN&SXXXY

fittchica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fittchica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fittchica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fittchica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fittchica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fittchica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fittchica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fittchica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fittchica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fittchica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fittchica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Simpy View Post
    You'll also want to build your ab muscles up. If you're very lean without any significant muscle mass down there then there will be no ab popping.
    x2 people say that it's "all diet and cardio" and of course that is partly true. If they are not on point then you can forget all abut having beautiful abs, since your bodyfat will be too high to even see any muscle,lol. However working your abs, (I work mine really really hard once a week) with WEIGHTED ab work will really make them show beautifully.
    Quite simply, it is all worth it!

Aries80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks everyone! I am trying to keep my diet in check and have recently started incorporating more cardio- I am pretty thin, but have that pesky 5 lbs that seems impossible to get rid of. I am doing a lot more weight training, and hope to see some results soon! If you have any other specific exercises which you believe are really helping please post!! Thanks again...

PoetryInMotion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PoetryInMotion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by fittchica View Post
    x2 people say that it's "all diet and cardio" and of course that is partly true. If they are not on point then you can forget all abut having beautiful abs, since your bodyfat will be too high to even see any muscle,lol. However working your abs, (I work mine really really hard once a week) with WEIGHTED ab work will really make them show beautifully.
    Would you mind posting what you do for your once a week ab routine. Personally, I do the same. (treat them like any other body part, right?) Anyways, I would just like an idea of what other people consider "hitting them hard". If you would include rep, sets, rest time...it would be appreciated. If you don't mind. There are so many different techniques for abs out there....

Generally I do: (not necessarily in this order)
    swiss ball crunches
    weighted ab machine
    lots of hanging ab work (straight leg, oblique twists, standard "knees to chest)
    air bike
    decline sit ups

fittchica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fittchica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fittchica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fittchica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fittchica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fittchica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fittchica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fittchica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fittchica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fittchica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fittchica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by PoetryInMotion View Post
    Would you mind posting what you do for your once a week ab routine. Personally, I do the same. (treat them like any other body part, right?) Anyways, I would just like an idea of what other people consider "hitting them hard". If you would include rep, sets, rest time...it would be appreciated. If you don't mind. There are so many different techniques for abs out there....

Generally I do: (not necessarily in this order)
    swiss ball crunches
    weighted ab machine
    lots of hanging ab work (straight leg, oblique twists, standard "knees to chest)
    air bike
    decline sit ups
    I don't mind at all hon--
    I have one day that is reserved strictly for abs and cardio. Instead of a half an hour of cardio I will do an hour on this day...I don't time my ab workouts either. I usually just hit them hella hard,lol. Although I sometimes switch it up for an equal excercise, I try to stay away from ab machines, and I do way more reps for my abs than say, for quads, since it is necessary.
    Sets Reps Weight
    Planks 4X 30 seconds
    weighted decline sit-ups 6X failure 8 lbs
    weighted rope crunches 4X 20-25 90lbs
    incline leg raises 3X 15 5lbs btwn ankles(these really WORK! My fave btw
    hanging leg raises 3X failure
    Usually if I do these right, I am tired! But if I can I throw in a few more Sets...Oh, and because I tend to bulk fast in my obliques, you'll notice I don't work them by themselves...hope this helps!
    Last edited by fittchica; 11-15-2007 at 12:00 AM.
    Quite simply, it is all worth it!

PoetryInMotion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PoetryInMotion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by fittchica View Post
    I don't mind at all hon--
    I have one day that is reserved strictly for abs and cardio. Instead of a half an hour of cardio I will do an hour on this day...I don't time my ab workouts either. I usually just hit them hella hard,lol. Although I sometimes switch it up for an equal excercise, I try to stay away from ab machines, and I do way more reps for my abs than say, for quads, since it is necessary.
    Sets Reps Weight
    Planks 4X 30 seconds
    weighted decline sit-ups 6X failure 8 lbs
    weighted rope crunches 4X 20-25 90lbs
    incline leg raises 3X 15 5lbs btwn ankles(these really WORK! My fave btw
    hanging leg raises 3X failure
    Usually if I do these right, I am tired! But if I can I throw in a few more Sets...Oh, and because I tend to bulk fast in my obliques, you'll notice I don't work them by themselves...hope this helps!
    Wow! I guess you do hit them pretty hard. I'm thinking I will lower my rep range a bit...maybe use some more weights. Why do you avoid ab machines? Thanx by the way for your detailed reply!