Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    sborg will become famous soon enough. (+50) sborg will become famous soon enough. (+50) sborg will become famous soon enough. (+50) sborg will become famous soon enough. (+50) sborg will become famous soon enough. (+50) sborg will become famous soon enough. (+50) sborg will become famous soon enough. (+50) sborg will become famous soon enough. (+50) sborg will become famous soon enough. (+50) sborg will become famous soon enough. (+50) sborg will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Did someone in here say alpha?

I think powerbuilders are the guys who like going to the gym because of the public showers. They're really more like showerlifters, imo.

What I want to know is what do you call the guys who lift heavy, don't compete, and don't give a **** what they look like (born ugly)?
    I'm not paying less attention. You've just gotten less interesting.

UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    The reason I made this thread is because from my point of view if you aren't training for a good reason (i.e. a sport) then I don't see how someone could keep up lifting for a long period of time (say 5+ years). When your feeling beat to crap, bored with your training and diet or injured the 'lifting for enjoyment' excuse won't convince yourself to keep going. Lifting for chicks won't keep someone motivated for years to come. Likewise, lifting for strength with no reason to apply that strength won't keep you motivated in the future.
    I don't play sports and don't compete in powerlifting (I might at some point, it's just not a priority for me). I've been training for 5+ years. I'm married, so lifting for "chicks" has never been a reason for me to train. I sit in an air-conditioned office and write software all day, so I certainly have no reason or even opportunity to apply my strength.

I regularly lift weights at midnight because it's the only time in my day that I have available to train. I don't go to a gym - I train in my garage by myself. My wife acts like she is impressed when I tell her my latest PR, but she doesn't really care. Most of my friends and acquaintances could care less if I deadlift 445 or 455 - it doesn't mean anything to them or anyone else.

So what's my motivation?

Every time I begin a workout, I have the opportunity to do something I have never done before. How many people in this world push their limits to new heights constantly? Very few, I tell you. It make me feel different, special, proud of myself. I do it because I can.

So at 1am, while the rest of the world is in bed after eating their bowl of ice cream while watching Letterman, I'm in my garage, by myself, pouring sweat, doing something I've never done before.

That generally makes me feel superior to other people, and that is what keeps me going.
    485/285/495 @ 200
    Ed Coan told me I had nice squat form.

Doc Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Doc Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Doc Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Doc Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Doc Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Doc Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Doc Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Doc Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Doc Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Doc Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Doc Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I guess I'm a "powerbuilder" ...

I suppose I'm a "powerbuilder", though I don't usually use this term to describe myself.

I've been training on and off (mostly on) for about 30 years. My primary motivation for training has always been to stay healthy. One doesn't have to be a "Doc" to realize that weight training has countless health benefits, particularly as one ages (big deal for me at 47) ... and by itself this has always been enough motivation for me. I've always trained naturally, as I feel that training with drugs defeats the entire purpose of training for health.

My secondary motivation has always been strength. Partially this is a vanity issue (it's nice to be able to say that you're stronger than the average Joe, or even the average gym rat) and partially it's a functionality issue (related to the paragraph above). It's pretty cool to be able to say "Yeah, we can take that 150 pound freezer home on our own ... don't worry, I can carry it downstairs" or "Sure friends, I can help you move ... don't worry if you have heavy stuff, we'll handle it."

My tertiary motivation has been to look good. I've been happily married since my early 20s (almost as long as I've been training) so "getting the girls" has never been a huge motivation for me (though I guess there was some of that when I started training in my teens). That said, I certainly don't mind the fact that my wife finds me attractive and / or when other people say "Wow, Tony, I never would have guessed you're almost 50 ... you're in better shape than most 30 year olds I know." I must admit, I've NEVER been interested in dieting, getting shredded, tanning, or getting up on a stage and posing. Honestly, I find the offseason look more aesthetically pleasing than the contest look ... but that's just me.

I've also never been terribly interested in competing. Yes, at the moment my Son and I are training for strongman ... but you know what? If it never happens, I won't be heartbroken, and if it does happen and we don't do that well ... so what? I am fully aware that this attitude will NEVER make me into a champion, but the goal of competing in strongman keeps me interested and motivated, so what's the harm in that? Even if I'm not "in it to win it". Earlier in my life I did a few local yokel Gold's Gym type powerlifting contest and posted some reasonable numbers (a 365 bench, a 475 dead and a 525 squat, as I recall @ 242). But again, I did them mostly for fun (i.e. gee, I'm already spending all this time working out, might as well do this ... if I win (which I didn't) OK, if I don't, ah well, it was still fun).

If you want to call me a powerbuilder, cool, if you want to call me a gym rat. That's OK too ... I don't find the term derogatory or associated with being a meat head. And don't get me wrong ... I have tremendous respect for folks who WANT to be competitive bodybuilders. I appreciate how much dedication it takes to develop one's physique to that level (especially in terms of dieting and doing other contest prep). I also have lots of respect for powerlifters and strongmen, who seek to max out their strength (even through the use of drugs for those who use ... I consider that a personal decision). It's just that these things aren't what drive ME. Personally, the charge I get when I hit a PR at age 47 (i.e. I'm stronger now than I've EVER been in my life ... which means I'm still getting BETTER, as opposed to rapidly heading downhill, the experience of most almost 50s) is more than enough to keep me motivated.

The only time I take issue is when someone puts down another "brother (or sister) in iron" because their goals don't match the person's own: no matter WHO it is. So I'll stand up for the bodybuilder when the strongman calls him a "poser who isn't REALLY strong", I'll stand up for the powerlifter when the bodybuilder calls him a "fat slob" and I'll stand up for the "gym rat / powerbuilder" when the competitive athlete tells him he doesn't belong in "the brotherhood".

A smart guy on www.powerliftingwatch.com would always sign his messages with the tag line "Shut up and lift." In my humble opinion, we'd all be happier if we took his advice.

vascularing defination Newbtime's Avatar
    Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For what reason are they training for strength and looks?
    yea training strictly for PL and a "WR" in kentucky in the WPCUAPLBL, and a plastic trophy is much more meaningful.

TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My understanding was that a powerbuilder was a person who competes in both bodybuilding and powerlifting competitions. Such as Quelly, or Father Flex.

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dparm99 View Post
    Part bodybuilder + part powerlifter = powerbuilder. I guess i'd classify myself as one because i love bodybuilding and powerlifting as well. Why not have the best of both worlds?
    x2.

Besides, I don't have the physique of a bodybuilder (more like a powerlifter), and I don't have the numbers for a powerlifter.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

PMac25 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PMac25 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PMac25 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PMac25 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PMac25 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PMac25 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PMac25 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    first time ive heard the term...but i'd guess i fall into this categorey as well...love lifting and getting stronger and straonger all teh times. i alos love to compete in both powerlifting and bodybuilding events. But its not the competing that keeps me goign its keeping myself looking like the greek heroes you always heard about as a kid in school (not trying to say i look like a greek god just that persona wanting to get that end result keeps me motivated) but still have the strength of hercules...having the look and the strength together not just one or the other...look at pudg he was the wrolds strongest man for a few time 3 or so?? im not really sure but the man wasa pure beast and built like a bodybuilder and at 6ft....thats a powerbuilder in my opinion marius pudginowski...and im sure i have just butchered his name sorry for that. just my two cents.
    No I'm not on steroids.....but thanks for asking
    100% Juice Free

AverageJoe850 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AverageJoe850 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AverageJoe850 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by UhhWhatever View Post
    I don't play sports and don't compete in powerlifting (I might at some point, it's just not a priority for me). I've been training for 5+ years. I'm married, so lifting for "chicks" has never been a reason for me to train. I sit in an air-conditioned office and write software all day, so I certainly have no reason or even opportunity to apply my strength.

I regularly lift weights at midnight because it's the only time in my day that I have available to train. I don't go to a gym - I train in my garage by myself. My wife acts like she is impressed when I tell her my latest PR, but she doesn't really care. Most of my friends and acquaintances could care less if I deadlift 445 or 455 - it doesn't mean anything to them or anyone else.

So what's my motivation?

Every time I begin a workout, I have the opportunity to do something I have never done before. How many people in this world push their limits to new heights constantly? Very few, I tell you. It make me feel different, special, proud of myself. I do it because I can.

So at 1am, while the rest of the world is in bed after eating their bowl of ice cream while watching Letterman, I'm in my garage, by myself, pouring sweat, doing something I've never done before.

That generally makes me feel superior to other people, and that is what keeps me going.
    Wow, it's like exactly what I would have written if I could put it that eloquently. Even the software coding part. Of couse your totals are much higher.

(Although I do have 2 friends that try to outlift me so that helps for motivation.)
    6'
    200 lbs

Raw totals as of 9-07-09:

Bench - 275
    DeadLift - 335
    Squat - 245

olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Doc Iron View Post
    A smart guy on www.powerliftingwatch.com would always sign his messages with the tag line "Shut up and lift." In my humble opinion, we'd all be happier if we took his advice.
    Yeah I think I'll do that. I don't really care why someone is in the gym training I just find this 'powerbuilder' term kind of amusing is all.
    I can do all things through Christ, because he gives me strength- Philippians 4:13

power44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) power44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) power44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) power44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) power44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) power44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) power44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) power44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) power44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) power44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) power44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Some of the best Bodybuilders in the world are "Powerbuilders"

Just a few

Ronnie Coleman - Competed in Powerlifting then became a bodybuilder
    Johnie Jackson - Competed in powerlifting(Still does) then became a BB
    Justine Harris- Still competes in Powerlifting and is still trying to get his pro card in the npc.

KyleSr71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KyleSr71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KyleSr71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KyleSr71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KyleSr71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KyleSr71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KyleSr71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KyleSr71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KyleSr71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KyleSr71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) KyleSr71 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Body builders do a lot more isolation than powerlifters do. After I do the big 3 many of my muscles feel unworked, so I do other lifts to keep everything proportional. I still lift for power but I do more than 3 lifts a day to get every muscle worked. Make sense? It's like an in between area.
    Squat-380
    Bench-305

PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
    Someone training for size + strength who has no immediate plans to compete in BB or PL.

I'm not a fan of the term personally but it's an easy way to describe someone with those goals.
    I was about to say this. It's just a term people like to give themselves because calling yourself a bodybuilder or powerlifter without actually competing is just stupid.

Edit: This is an old ass thread.
    Excellence is the result of Caring more than others think is Wise; Risking more than others think is Safe. Dreaming more than others think is Practical and Expecting more than others think is Possible.

moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I didn't mean to come across with any kind of attitude.

I also never said there was anything wrong with trying to look bigger or get stronger seemingly for no reason, although that may have been inferred with how I appeared to be coming across.

The reason I made this thread is because from my point of view if you aren't training for a good reason (i.e. a sport) then I don't see how someone could keep up lifting for a long period of time (say 5+ years). When your feeling beat to crap, bored with your training and diet or injured the 'lifting for enjoyment' excuse won't convince yourself to keep going. Lifting for chicks won't keep someone motivated for years to come. Likewise, lifting for strength with no reason to apply that strength won't keep you motivated in the future.
    I dont know about you, but i genuinely enjoy lifting.

Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    " ----------I`m your Huckleberry......'"

John Adams

Tom Bro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tom Bro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tom Bro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tom Bro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tom Bro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tom Bro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tom Bro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tom Bro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tom Bro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tom Bro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tom Bro is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by KyleSr71 View Post
    Body builders do a lot more isolation than powerlifters do. After I do the big 3 many of my muscles feel unworked, so I do other lifts to keep everything proportional. I still lift for power but I do more than 3 lifts a day to get every muscle worked. Make sense? It's like an in between area.
    Powerbumper

ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I enjoy lifting as an end in itself. I lift because I love it, and because I love to get stronger. Through increased strength and proper diet my body improves as well. I've competed in Powerlifting and it's what I plan to stick with. I'm sure many of you will agree, but some times when you're under a heavy Squat bar are the times you can get pretty close to God.
    Eternal Gym Rat, Student Physical Therapist. None of my post content should be taken as medical advice. Ask your doctor/PT.

Best Gym Lifts: 585/390/675 440 FS 265 OHP @203 No longer competing

I lift weights for fun

mallow will become famous soon enough. (+50) mallow will become famous soon enough. (+50) mallow will become famous soon enough. (+50) mallow will become famous soon enough. (+50) mallow will become famous soon enough. (+50) mallow will become famous soon enough. (+50) mallow will become famous soon enough. (+50) mallow will become famous soon enough. (+50) mallow will become famous soon enough. (+50) mallow will become famous soon enough. (+50) mallow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Olympic, it is none of your business why somebody trains or not. I have competed, does not mean that everybody should.
    My log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130442723

Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Powerlifter: Person that participates in powerlifting meets.

Bodybuilder: Person that participates in bodybuilding shows.

Powerbuilder: A person that participates in both powerlifting meets and bodybuilding shows, perhaps that guy Layne Norton is a such a person.

Have I made myself clear.

SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by KyleSr71 View Post
    Negged for super bump

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Powerlifting: sport
    Bodybuilding: beauty pageant (but at least its still competition)
    Powerbuilding: gymrat. In it for the chicks?

I see this 'powerbuilder' term thrown around all the time. However I don't see any 'powerbuilding' competitions? My understanding is that powerbuilders are 'doing it for themselves' whatever that means. Getting stronger or looking bigger are a means to an end, not a reason in themselves.

'Powerbuilders'.... please enlighten me.
    99% of lifters are doing it for themselves. How many people in the world can say they make a comfortable living powerlifting or bodybuilding as thier primary profession? Powerbuilding is getting as strong as you can while paying attention to how you look, keeping your body fat down and having some sort of aesthtic qualities like a bodybuilder. There was a younger guy a who used to post a lot here who did powerlifting competitions one half of the year (and he was strong) and would diet down and enter a bodybuilding show once a year as well.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with wanting to be very strong and have a nice physique at the same time, isn't that generally the first gripe the pl section has with asipiring bodybuilders on this website?

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I didn't mean to come across with any kind of attitude.

I also never said there was anything wrong with trying to look bigger or get stronger seemingly for no reason, although that may have been inferred with how I appeared to be coming across.

I have done a few competitions over the past couple of years but don't always train with the specific intent of comepting. With this attitude why would anyone ever go to the gym after highschool for the most part?

I enjoy lifting, so I go to the gym and do what i can to get bigger and stronger, when I'm happy with my progress I sign up for a powerlifting or strongman comp, I might even give a bodybuilder or olympic weightlift competition a shot some day. I also enjoy video games and playing paintball. They are called hobbies. Some people build and fly model airplanes, some people are into cycling, I have a buddy who likes to make mopeds. I enjoy picking things up and putting them down.

God damnit I never look at the post dates when a thread is bumped.

Archheretic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Archheretic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Archheretic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Archheretic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Archheretic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Archheretic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Archheretic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Archheretic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Archheretic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Archheretic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Archheretic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    fck old thread is old.
    Former no-avi anonymous