B-tech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B-tech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B-tech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B-tech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B-tech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B-tech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B-tech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B-tech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B-tech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B-tech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B-tech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

sore rotator cuff

so i made my rotator cuff sore.....my question is, for all exercises that currently make my shoulder feel sore, do i need to stay away from them completely until it heals up?

exercises are
    Incline bb press (my fav - i love this more than a fat kid loves cake)
    arnold presses
    widegrip tbar rows

probably a few more cant remember

Okay, thanks,

B-Tech
    myspace.com/btech

Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Pull back and rest for awhile.

Then after recovery, make sure you include RC exercises and do them regularily.

Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I had problems with supraspinatus tendinitis due to impingement for a while. Fix or don't do the exercises that bother you. For instance I love seated barbell shoulder press, but if I go all the way up with the weight my tendinitis will be back with and hurt like real bad for a week. What I have to do is I go all the way down with the bar but I go about 6 inches short of full lockout. I also cannot do side lateral raises with dumbbells but must you the side raise machine. If I make those simple adjustments I have no problems at all. Ice it and use ibuprofen for the inflammation. You don't want to continue aggrevating it because the tendon will get more and more inflammed and fragile. Overtime if it continues you will have to worry about a possible tear. Good luck buddy. Include rotator cuff exercises in your routine. Do them like 3 times a week. Remember though if your doing like external rotation exercise for your r.c. you don't need to go all out like your doing squats or something. High reps like 15-20 work well. Remember your rotator cuff muscles are not muscles you want to make co*k diesel like other muscles. I got an MRI done and my supraspinatus literally looks like a thick rope. Therefore it has limited room and when I lockout on shoulder exercises it basicall gets squashed which is why I get the tendinitis when I lockout. sorry for the long rant that is my thoughts.

Peter Griffin Genetics BuffaJoe's Avatar
    BuffaJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BuffaJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BuffaJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BuffaJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BuffaJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BuffaJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BuffaJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BuffaJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BuffaJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BuffaJoe is a name known to all. (+5000) BuffaJoe is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I 'hurt' my shoulder/ RC a few weeks back.

I took a week off - then took it easy for 2 weeks. Using mostly Hammer strength machines and avoided any direct shoulder work. Im 90% better after 3 weeks.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by B-tech
    so i made my rotator cuff sore.....my question is, for all exercises that currently make my shoulder feel sore, do i need to stay away from them completely until it heals up?
    BernieD wrote a great article on treating and managing r/c injuries, along with exercises to avoid. Search is your friend. Took me 2 seconds.

The Complete Shoulder and RC Injury Article

Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    BernieD wrote a great article on treating and managing r/c injuries, along with exercises to avoid. Search is your friend. Took me 2 seconds.

thats a good article

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

^^^

that's a good one

aside from that, rest.
    <->

Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Flex500
    I had problems with supraspinatus tendinitis due to impingement for a while. Fix or don't do the exercises that bother you. For instance.......
    Yes, I had the same thing after the first six months of taking college women's strength (lifting) classes. Found I loved lifting heavy weights but my left shoulder was giving me problems at this point. Had to drop lateral raises early because it hurt too bad on advice of my instructor. My family doc figured impingement and ordered a MRI. It was and it found a tear of my supraspinatus anterior tendon I did not know was there. Something done years ago from a forgotten fall but did not show up until tendonitis flaired up from impingement. But the found tear explained why the Lateral raises hurt. However, No surgery was recommended and advised against in my case. The lifting had actually improved my Left arm/shoulder's overall flexibility.

But if I had had the MRI six months prior to taking the classes.....I am sure surgery would have been advised. Being so overweight and out of shape at the time.

I read the same article and even wrote to Bernie about any alternative exercises after I pulled back and rested. He sent back a reply with some helpful advice.

Lookin at the Big Picture BernieD's Avatar
    BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Heh, thanks...I'm glad that people are liking it...I've been meaning to do some additions to the article, but I'm going away this week for a couple weeks and things will be busy, so probably won't get to it for quite awhile, but we'll see...

but yea, try that article, should help you out a lot
    The complete shoulder and RC injury thread, written by myself:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968 (MASSIVE NEW UPDATE AS OF 10/6/05)

Form is paramount.

Focus, focus, focus.