Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    heartwork has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartwork has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartwork has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartwork has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartwork has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartwork has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartwork has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartwork has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartwork has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartwork has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartwork has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So you guys all think
    2 sets of barbell curl
    2 sets of hammer curl
    3 sets of preacher curl

would be good after im done w/ back to add some mass?

The Next Jason Voorhees Da Main Man's Avatar
    Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    [QUOTE=heartwork]So you guys all think
    2 sets of barbell curl
    2 sets of hammer curl
    3 sets of preacher curl

would be good after im done w/ back to add some mass?[/QUOTEid reckon

week 1

Barbell curls 3 sets of 8
    Alternating Hammer Curls 2 sets of 8 (works forearms too)
    Concentration curls 2 sets of 8-10 (GOOD FORM!!!)

week 2

Preacher Curls 3 sets of 8-10
    Revers BB Curls 2 sets of 8-10 (works forearms too)
    Incline DB Alt DB Curls 2 sets of 8-10
    Tell your Girlfriend i said thanks....

Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by paingame
    what about chin ups they would have to be the greatest bicep builder.
    Back/Bis is your best bet...do 3 sets of chins, 3 sets of deads, 3 sets of CG pulldowns then 2 db curls, 2 hammer curls, 2 incline curls.
    Team Scivation

"The beauty of understanding how to defeat pain is recognizing that it does exist" - Ray Lewis

"The gym is my personal practice field where i dominate and win, and when I walk out those doors, I take my skills to the grand show of life" - Dwayne Johnson

Journal -
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=632957613&posted=1#post632957613[/url]

Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000) Jesin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by heartwork
    So you guys all think
    2 sets of barbell curl
    2 sets of hammer curl
    3 sets of preacher curl

would be good after im done w/ back to add some mass?
    I do rite now Back/Bis -
    CG Pulldowns 3 sets
    Deadlifts 3 sets
    Tbar Rows 3 sets
    DB Curls 2 sets
    Hammer Preacher Curls 2 sets
    then either normal preachers or incline curls 2 sets
    Team Scivation

"The beauty of understanding how to defeat pain is recognizing that it does exist" - Ray Lewis

"The gym is my personal practice field where i dominate and win, and when I walk out those doors, I take my skills to the grand show of life" - Dwayne Johnson

Journal -
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=632957613&posted=1#post632957613[/url]

The Next Jason Voorhees Da Main Man's Avatar
    Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    biceps

Perfect form > Heavy weight
    Tell your Girlfriend i said thanks....

powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Da Main Man
    biceps

Perfect form > Heavy weight
    Amen to the perfect form. I see too many wanna be BBers who are barely using their bicep muscle fibers to actually curl the weight up. That is what I mean in my signature about leaving your ego at the door. The GYM door. I frequently use DBs that peeps with arms half the size of mine use, but I lift with perfect form and master the mind to muscle connection.
    Racism is completely irrational.

Raising taxes never created a single job.

Go Sox, Illini, and Bears VegasBabyVegas's Avatar
    VegasBabyVegas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VegasBabyVegas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VegasBabyVegas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VegasBabyVegas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VegasBabyVegas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VegasBabyVegas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VegasBabyVegas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VegasBabyVegas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VegasBabyVegas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VegasBabyVegas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VegasBabyVegas has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by powerman2000
    Amen to the perfect form. I see too many wanna be BBers who are barely using their bicep muscle fibers to actually curl the weight up. That is what I mean in my signature about leaving your ego at the door. The GYM door. I frequently use DBs that peeps with arms half the size of mine use, but I lift with perfect form and master the mind to muscle connection.
    I think we can all agree on that.

how many people in the gym put their back into every standing curl that they do?

like 50%

and at the campus gym it's like 95% .
    If you've never been lean, you're not bulking. You're just fat.
    --from Iron Addict's

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer"
    -Arnold

"For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer."
    -Arnold

Paerdegat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

You're All Correct

My guess is that there are no universally correct rules for how to achieve optimum biceps growth. What works for one person may not work so well for someone else. I like to know what works for other people so I can try it out.

The rule I use for determining how often to exercise my biceps is muscle soreness. When the muscles stop feeling sore, it's time to go back and exercise them again. This might take from two days up to five or six days, depending on the particulars of the prior workout -- number of sets, number of reps per set, geometry of the exercises I used, and weight settings. I think an a priori rule like "once a week" might not necessarily be correct because it does not make use of muscle soreness. If your muscles stop feeling sore after three days, why wait a whole week to re-exercise them, just because that's a rule you have adopted? It's best to consider these Rules of Thumb, to be adapted to one's individual needs and to the post-workout circumstances each time.

JoeyFitness has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    unless your on steroids you are doing too much. Keep the reverse curls in the routine though!!!

Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    High volume and low volume, as well as frequent and infrequent training, are both prouctive. The trick is, trying to get the productivity out of all of them. I'd suggest you do the following:

Pick two heavy lifts that you like or are good at. Perhaps BB and DB curls. Keep it simple, and no fancy garbage. It doesn't take a boat load of exercises all at once to develop a muscle.

Train them once a week for a couple of weeks, using 2-3 heavy work sets each. Then train them twice per week with 2-3 heavy sets. After this, move to 5 sets each for a couple of weeks, staying at twice per week. Don't worry if you start to feel a little run down doing them twice a week with higher volume.

After you've done 2 weeks doing them twice per week on higher volume, go back to doing them once a week with 2-3 heavy work sets.

Repeat.
    Up your cals by 500 per day for the next cycle.

Dirk

musclepoppin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) musclepoppin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) musclepoppin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) musclepoppin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) musclepoppin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) musclepoppin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) musclepoppin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) musclepoppin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) musclepoppin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) musclepoppin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) musclepoppin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Funny People.......

I find bicep circuits and supersets to work great. I warm-up with 2 sets of 21's then I do a circuit consisting of straight bar curls (10 reps), D.B. curls (10 reps), then straight bar cable curls (10 reps). I do 4 sets of those then do 4 sets of Preacher Curls (10 reps), D.B. concentration curls over an incline bench (10 reps), and rope cable curls (10 reps). You don't need heavy weights to do these circuits and you'll still feel THE PUMP allllllllllll the way back home from the gym.
    Last edited by musclepoppin; 12-03-2007 at 05:22 PM.

FoShoLifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i think that 5 sets is okay depending on how you do them...if you are doing 5 sets of 12 with 60lbs on say hammers, this is just hypethetically speaking, thats a bit much, but i do two warm up sets with light weight, then i hit three sets really hard, and i do three to four exercises.....im still seeing growth....i agree in overtraining, but you can do more than 8 sets...
    FoShoLifting

alec91_2006 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alec91_2006 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alec91_2006 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alec91_2006 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alec91_2006 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alec91_2006 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alec91_2006 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alec91_2006 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alec91_2006 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alec91_2006 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alec91_2006 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

schedule for workout

so how many days a week do i do this workout and how much wieght?

18iceman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I work back and biceps on the same day. Alotta people disagree with it, but iv tried it 2 ways. Back and bis together and bis and tris together. I prefer back with bis. When im through with my back workout, my bis have already had a little work, so i hit them with 2 exercises. Preacher curls and alternating dumbbell curls are my favorite. And if that didnt burn them enough, i hit them with one last workout like hammer curls. Im definately not the biggest guy on here, and this may be the wrong way of going about this, but iv found that it works for ME.

alec91_2006 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alec91_2006 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alec91_2006 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alec91_2006 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alec91_2006 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alec91_2006 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alec91_2006 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alec91_2006 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alec91_2006 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alec91_2006 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) alec91_2006 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

cool

so after i do that workout of bis and back shoul i wait two days to do it again or 3

i take 2 days off..monday then come back and do it thursday

eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by VegasBabyVegas View Post

I'm a big advocate of doing biceps the same day as back.

do your heavy back work and then 6 sets for biceps after that.
    For sure, bi's after back - then work them again on a dedicated arm day.

that makes sense too..thata way ur doing both back and bis one day, and then bis and tris together on a later day

FlyingIllini will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlyingIllini will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlyingIllini will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlyingIllini will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlyingIllini will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlyingIllini will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlyingIllini will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlyingIllini will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlyingIllini will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlyingIllini will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlyingIllini will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I feel the over training issue has more to do with frequency and rest than volume during each workout.

I seem to have no problem doing 12-15 sets of bicep work (once a week).

ImBruno will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImBruno will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImBruno will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImBruno will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImBruno will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImBruno will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImBruno will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImBruno will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImBruno will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImBruno will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImBruno will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    chest and tris monday, back and bis tuesday, go heavy but keep form. Legs wednesday, shoulders thursday, biceps and triceps friday, go high rep. , go light, just burn them up for the weekend, kind of like a arm-cardio.

See how that works out, I have small arms but my biceps and triceps have grown very strong, specially biceps and have a good definition with all 3 heads of the triceps clearly shown. Not many guys with 15 inch arms can curl 95 lbs on the barbell for 8-10 without using their back at all.

I like to keep the rep range between 8-10. I try to go fairly heavy so that by my 3rd set im struggling to get that 8th rep in