irx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Plan of action on contest day - please review

Hi there, i'm joining my first ever competition soon, and i have started planning for the final week.

I have read layne's article on contest prep, and will be following it closely.

Here's my plan of action for the day before/of the show, i was hoping you guys could do a quick review. The show is on a sunday, 12noon. Pre-judging is 2hours before, at 10am, on the same day.

Saturday:
    8pm: 30g carbs, sweet potato
    10pm: 30g carbs, sweet potato
    10pm: 30g carbs, sleep for 4 hours..till sunday

*will be taking water as thirst dictates/protein bites as needed*
    Sunday:
    2am: 40-50g carbs, sweet potato
    4am: 40-50g carbs, sweet potato
    6am: 40-50g carbs, sweet potato
    8am: 85g carbs, 60 sugar, 1.5g sodium, 30fat, 2 Snicker Bars, 2 Rice Cakes, 1/2 teaspoon salt
    9.30am~10am-PREJUDGING/PUMPING-: 35g carb, 30 sugar, 14f: 1 Snicker Bar, 8oz water or red wine to bring out vascularity and + provide energy for posing, is this good?

right after prejudging: 40-50g carbs, 16oz water, sweet potato, 16oz water
    11.45am~12pm: same right before prejudging, see above, 1 Snicker, 8oz water or wine?

i think the rest of the stuff looks right in place, but i like some comments on the protocols right before prejudging and the show - would the amount of carbs/sugar and water be fine? would i be risking too much fluid retention or something?

Thanks in advance people - your input would be appreciatted

Competative Bodybuilder NIUbodybuilder0's Avatar
    NIUbodybuilder0 is not very well liked. (-100) NIUbodybuilder0 is not very well liked. (-100) NIUbodybuilder0 is not very well liked. (-100) NIUbodybuilder0 is not very well liked. (-100) NIUbodybuilder0 is not very well liked. (-100) NIUbodybuilder0 is not very well liked. (-100) NIUbodybuilder0 is not very well liked. (-100) NIUbodybuilder0 is not very well liked. (-100) NIUbodybuilder0 is not very well liked. (-100) NIUbodybuilder0 is not very well liked. (-100) NIUbodybuilder0 is not very well liked. (-100)
    where is your fat junk meal. you could at least put some PB on your rice cakes, or have a steak or pancakes after pre judging.

Hi there NIU,

the snicker bars have 35g carbs (30 of which SUGAR), and 14g fat, along with lots of potassium each. I like PB, but i like snicker bars even more - i will definately be hitting the numbers mentioned, though.

DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000)
    looks like alot of water to me, but my first comp. is coming up so what do i know

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by irx
    Hi there, i'm joining my first ever competition soon, and i have started planning for the final week.

I have read layne's article on contest prep, and will be following it closely.

Here's my plan of action for the day before/of the show, i was hoping you guys could do a quick review. The show is on a sunday, 12noon. Pre-judging is 2hours before, at 10am, on the same day.

Saturday:
    8pm: 30g carbs, sweet potato
    10pm: 30g carbs, sweet potato
    10pm: 30g carbs, sleep for 4 hours..till sunday

*will be taking water as thirst dictates/protein bites as needed*
    Sunday:
    2am: 40-50g carbs, sweet potato
    4am: 40-50g carbs, sweet potato
    6am: 40-50g carbs, sweet potato
    8am: 85g carbs, 60 sugar, 1.5g sodium, 30fat, 2 Snicker Bars, 2 Rice Cakes, 1/2 teaspoon salt
    9.30am~10am-PREJUDGING/PUMPING-: 35g carb, 30 sugar, 14f: 1 Snicker Bar, 8oz water or red wine to bring out vascularity and + provide energy for posing, is this good?

right after prejudging: 40-50g carbs, 16oz water, sweet potato, 16oz water
    11.45am~12pm: same right before prejudging, see above, 1 Snicker, 8oz water or wine?

i think the rest of the stuff looks right in place, but i like some comments on the protocols right before prejudging and the show - would the amount of carbs/sugar and water be fine? would i be risking too much fluid retention or something?

Thanks in advance people - your input would be appreciatted
    everything looks good, except I would move your noon meal to another small sweet potato & a small chicken breast and then the same thing at 2 pm, then around 5 have your meal you planned at noon (i'm assuming the night show starts at 6?)

-Layne

hello layne,

the noon meal is there for the ''night show'' e.g. actual show after prejudging (which actually starts at 12pm) - and would serve the same function as helping to provide energy + some vascularity for the ''night show''.

so, the whole thing more or less ends after the 12pm actual show, unless of course i place well enough to move on to a third show involving youths competing from the region - which i would just eat as the previous protocols for the front 2 shows dictate, but this is highly unlikely to happen.

hope this is clear enough? thanks.

str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by irx
    hello layne,

the noon meal is there for the ''night show'' e.g. actual show after prejudging (which actually starts at 12pm) - and would serve the same function as helping to provide energy + some vascularity for the ''night show''.

so, the whole thing more or less ends after the 12pm actual show, unless of course i place well enough to move on to a third show involving youths competing from the region - which i would just eat as the previous protocols for the front 2 shows dictate, but this is highly unlikely to happen.

hope this is clear enough? thanks.
    then you are doing it exactly right. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Make sure you get a lot of pictures, you'll want them so you can be able to document your progress

sure thing, i hope i don't mess this end. Thanks again

CuttingEdge has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CuttingEdge has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CuttingEdge has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CuttingEdge has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CuttingEdge has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CuttingEdge has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CuttingEdge has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CuttingEdge has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CuttingEdge has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CuttingEdge has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CuttingEdge has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    What's your body-weight? I'm gonna follow pretty much the same routine but I'll weigh about 190.

Layne, would you recommend taking in about 10-15 more carbs than that at each of those time-frames at a weight of 190? Is 8 the night before Prejudging too late to carb up? That only leaves 14 hours. Is that long enough. I'm gonna drop down and come in at the highest end of the middle-weight class and I want to make sure to not come in flat.
    The Complacency Of Fools Shall Destroy Them

it really depends, there certainly is room for a bit of play. A good rule of thumb to use to be able to adjust your carb intake is this...

pick the bodypart that is the hardest for you to get ripped as that will be easiest to judge. Know what it looks like at the absolute leanest. for me it's my abs & quads. When I start carbing up those both look really flat, as i carb up they get fuller & more vascular. about a few hours before the show I look at them and say are they flat or are they starting to spill over & get watery or are they just right? If they are just right then I keep up the eating pace that I have been using. If they start looking a bit watery then I cut my carb intake back & start walking around and flexing and doing some activity until everything looks crisp again.

-Layne

Registered User liftingismylife's Avatar
    liftingismylife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftingismylife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftingismylife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftingismylife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftingismylife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftingismylife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftingismylife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftingismylife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftingismylife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftingismylife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) liftingismylife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i'n not too familiar with contest prep...but why are you eating all those snickers bars? isn't that tons of saturated/trans fats...why would anyone want that in their body in the first place....then, especially before a contest? sorry for not familiarizing myself with contest knowledge...just a question i was wondering after reading his contest prep diet..thanks guys

Originally Posted by liftingismylife
    i'n not too familiar with contest prep...but why are you eating all those snickers bars? isn't that tons of saturated/trans fats...why would anyone want that in their body in the first place....then, especially before a contest? sorry for not familiarizing myself with contest knowledge...just a question i was wondering after reading his contest prep diet..thanks guys
    during the week before the show you deplete yourself so that your body can become supersaturated with carbohydrates when you load and you will look full & vascular. The idea is like a pendulum, you push it in one direction, it swings back hard in the other direction. I recommend something fatty as well a few hours before the show as it also increases vascularity.

i explain it in more detail here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm

CuttingEdge has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CuttingEdge has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CuttingEdge has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CuttingEdge has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CuttingEdge has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CuttingEdge has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CuttingEdge has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CuttingEdge has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CuttingEdge has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CuttingEdge has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CuttingEdge has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Here's what I hate:

They don't let you know EXACTLY (even within 20 minutes) when you will take the stage for prejudging. If you are trying to time your 2 snickers bars at 2 hours before you take the stage, it messes around with your timing if you don't know exactly when you are going out.

Just frustrating.
    The Complacency Of Fools Shall Destroy Them

XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Interesting approach to contest day eating. I tend to eat as little as necessary...mostly oatmeal and a little protein. I also use natty PB to help prevent hunger. I carry honey with me backstage and drink it straight from the bottle while pumping up...but thats about it. Maybe I need to rethink what I am eating on contest day. I would be fearful of too much CHO and getting bloated though. Too much sugar = too much insulin = too much sub Q water. Who knows...there are no less than 45.8 million takes one what to do in a bodybuilding show. LOL.

I'm with cuttingedge...its irritating to not know when you are going on stage. Its bad enough that nobody can get you a semi-accurate timetable, but even worse when unexpected things happen. Take for example my first show I did. It was the night show and I am back stage in the middle of pump up. All of a sudden, the promoter comes in and tells us all to evacuate the facility! The show was here in Iowa, in May...thats right. There was a tornado. We were all supposed to get out of the auditorium and take shelter in the halls. In reality we all did what everybody does up here when there is a tornado in the area...we went outside to watch it. LOL. I digress. Over an hour later the show started up again. It was bad enough for me, but that would REALLY have sucked for the poor souls on stage. To this day I dont know what they did. I would imagine they ran off the stage in thier posing trunks and straight into the hallways. Lets just say it made for an interesting, long night to say the least. Hell, the after-party didnt get started till 1am!

Good luck to you all. I'm on stage 5 weeks from today. NANBF KC Golds Classic in Overland Park, KS. Can't wait! I will try to get some pics posted shortly for all to see. I am looking pretty good(for me). 15 pounds heavier than last year, currently 190 (6'1" though)...and ahead of schedule with the diet...a good feeling

Sean
    Last edited by XTRMEWJ; 08-07-2005 at 12:51 PM.
    B.S. Exercise Science, Philosophy, Creighton University 2003

CSCS, NSCA-CPT

Member of TEAM KLEMCZEWSKI
    www.thedietdoc.com

"His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.”

-President Theodore Roosevelt

Hi CE,

Originally Posted by CuttingEdge
    What's your body-weight? I'm gonna follow pretty much the same routine but I'll weigh about 190.

Layne, would you recommend taking in about 10-15 more carbs than that at each of those time-frames at a weight of 190? Is 8 the night before Prejudging too late to carb up? That only leaves 14 hours. Is that long enough. I'm gonna drop down and come in at the highest end of the middle-weight class and I want to make sure to not come in flat.
    around 140, we have lower weight classes around here. it's stricty a youth show, also.

One more thing to annoy everybody with: exactly how much depletion work should be done in the final week? Complete glycogen depletion @ 12 sets of 15-20 per bodypart?

I figured, since we're not doing conventional ****loading/massive carbloading (just 200-300g in layne's article), should we decrease volume to like 6-8 sets? A definate answer would be great !

Kinda splitting hair over this :\