PowerMetal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

NEWBIE in search of advice

I'm 5'10 240 pounds and I'm guessing 35%+ body fat. I have a tire, boobs, etc :< the only definition I see on my upper body is in my biceps. My max bench is probably in the 160-180 range right now :< I'm going to be working out with my friend who is in great shape.

Should I focus on cutting until I get my "weight" down to something like 200 pounds or should I lift and do cardio at the same time? If I do lifting and cardio, what should my intake look like for each day?

This is the schedule i'm looking at trying:

mon-full body lifting
    tues-jog
    weds-full body lifting
    thurs-jog
    fri-full body lifting
    sat-lifting and jogging
    sun-off

could the people who had lots of fat tell me their old schedules?

here are some foods I will be buying to help me out:

tuna, whole wheat breads, protein shake, vitamins, gallon+ water, tons of milk, almonds, broccoli, oats(what's a good brand I can buy at walmart?), and lean meats. I'm not going to buy supplements right now because I'm poor and I have a feeling they're snake oil. anything important that i'm missing?
    Last edited by PowerMetal; 08-02-2005 at 01:09 PM.

Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Best foods:
    Spinach, Kale, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, Green Beans, Asparagus, Collard greens, Green and red peppers, Mushrooms, Tomatoes, Onions, Cucumbers, All other fibrous carbs, green vegetables or salad vegetables

Yams, Sweet potatoes, Barley, Oatmeal (Old fashioned unsweetened), Beans, all types, Black eye peas, Slow cooked brown rice (long grain/basmati), Lentils, White potatoes Red potatoes, Carrots

All fresh fruits (not including canned, sweetened, or juice)

Flaxseed oil, Udo’s Choice essential oil blend, Fish Oil, Fatty fish (salmon, trout, herring, sardines)

Chicken breast, Turkey breast, Extra lean ground turkey, Ostrich, Buffalo/Bison/lean, Game meats, Fish, all types, Shellfish,Egg whites, Non fat cottage cheese, Top round steak (leanest cut of red meat), Protein powder supplements (whey, casein, or combination)

Good foods:
    100% whole grain, unsweetened boxed cereals 100% whole grain cooked cereals 100% whole grain pastas (amaranth, quinoa, wheat, etc) 100% whole grain breads (100% whole wheat, rye, spelt, etc) 100% Whole wheat pitas
    100% Whole grain, unsweetened muffins, Quick brown rice, Quick oatmeal (unsweetened)

Flank steak, Extra Lean top sirloin, Extra lean ground beef , Extra lean red meats, other, Lowfat ground turkey, Non fat or 1% low fat sour cream, Non fat or 1% low fat cheese, Non fat or 1% low fat cream cheese, Nonfat or 1% low fat, sugar free yogurt, 1% low fat cottage cheese, Whole eggs (1 whole egg per 5-6 whites is a good ratio)

Extra virgin olive oil & olive oil salad dressings

Natural peanut butter, Olives, Avocado, Nuts & seeds, Reduced fat, reduced calorie salad dressings

As a former heavy, I would advise you against jogging until you've lost weight and/or built up your leg muscles some. You most likely have or will develop knee and lower back issues from jogging. Cycling or the elliptical is more joint friendly at this point.

You should focus on getting your weight down but lifting will help you do that. Just don't expect to grow big muscles. You will shape and define your muscles and there may be limited growth.

lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Damnit she beat me again!!

Focus on a clean diet first, then weights, then cardio. Get all of these right and it = fat loss. You should be doing all of them, weightlifting is essential to fat loss. As far as asking people who have lost lots of fat. Go to the journals forum and read some of those, you can see exactly what epeople did for their transformation. Read mine an also Seandon’s his journal has a lot of good advice in it.

Get “old fashion quacker oats” do not get instant oats they are not as good for you

Whey protein is not “snake oil” and is reasonably priced I recommend using that, and supplementing with fish and flaxseed oil and a multivitamin, anything else is not really necessary.

Also write a goal sheet.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=533405

It is IMO the most important thing to do before you start other wise like 95% of the others you will quit and fail--LQ
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice THAT we fail to notice there is little we can do to change until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds.

The Beginners Guide to FAT loss / LQ Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=827373

Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I may have beat you but together we cover everything he needs to know.

BTW - he had protien & multis on his list. Not really sure why he doesn't think they are suppliments.

lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lifequest has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Go Team
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice THAT we fail to notice there is little we can do to change until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds.

The Beginners Guide to FAT loss / LQ Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=827373

Hazard2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hazard2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hazard2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hazard2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hazard2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hazard2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hazard2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hazard2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hazard2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hazard2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hazard2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Do cardio and strength training treadmill and bench press