Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Question Do you train, or, just workout?

I posted a thread posing this question January 1, 2007. It created a lot of dialogue, and I thought I'd brush it up and re post it again since there are so many new people on the forum. So, here goes!

You may or my not have noticed, I never say, "I workout".....What I do is, "TRAIN!"

When most people go to the gym, what almost everyone says they are doing is, "working out". Yet, most, 97% to be exact, will fail at in their exercise and diet program in one year or less.

When you talk to someone who "trains" they have a goal in mind, like to "hit a lift" to improve in strength and virility. Some to get those Brad Pitt abs. Some to compete in BBing or power lifting competitions. There are many other pursuits that are rewarding and challenging for the BBer, like cycling, triathlons, marathons, even a better golf game and etc..

My goal now, for example, it to compete in 2008 NPC Masters Nationals BBing competition and win my class! There are many sub goals in place to reach that goal by a certain time to get to my ultimate goal. Therefore, "I'm in training." I have "trainers" that "trains" me. I have a "training" partner with similar goals!

What I have noticed over the years as I attend many of the same gyms from Oregon, Washington, Alaska, and other major cities foreign and domestic, that I frequent, I see many of the same people, some have improved, some maintained, yet most are newbies that will be gone the next time I visit, never to return again.

At least twice a week or more, someone will come up to me and ask, "How can I lose weight" or "I want to look like you!" Or "get more muscles, but not big like you! Just toned up." or "I wanna lose my belly, get fit, bla, bla, bla..." They are almost always short term lifters. Why? IMO, they come to "just work out." No goals, no vision of what that means. It is more than "just working out," it is a goal, and vision of what you want to accomplish. Therefore, they fail.

I rarely give them advice anymore to the people that approach me because when I do, 98% of them will not put forth the "intensity", or "consistency" or diet to succeed. They come to the gym to "just work out." They lack "intensity and consistency," with no idea of how to achieve the goals they seek. They come to "workout" and "train" for nothing.

Does a runner talk about his or her "working out" for a race, or do the "train" for a race. Do skiers "work out" or train? Do ball players go to "workout" camps or "training" camps? They have coaches and trainers, that train them.

Now, I'm not saying anything is wrong with "working out." I just feel to me, it means two different things, one has a strong commitment to a goal, a vision, and the other terminology rarely does. It just hangs there. To me, it is more than semantics!

So, the question is..... "Do you train?" Or, "Just work out?" ed
    Last edited by oldsuperman; 11-06-2007 at 08:19 AM.
    CHECK OUT MY INTERVIEW WITH "SIMPLYSHREDDED"
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/ed-cook-interview.html

2009 Bodyspace Member of The Year!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=180967149598&v=info#/event.php?eid=264800703001&ref=nf

unimoose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unimoose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unimoose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unimoose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unimoose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unimoose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unimoose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unimoose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unimoose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unimoose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unimoose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I can see why this caused a lot of dialog the last time you posted this. If I look at what I am doing I fall into the "workout" category. I've fallen into that category a number of times throughout my life with the results that you describe. Reading your post had me thinking about my "goal" which when I first signed up for this site was simply to live healthier. If you think about it that really isn't that much of a goal to keep you motivated. Time to reevaluate what I really want and set some real goals so I can train instead of workout.

Thanks for the eye opening kick in the pants!
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

I made my mind up 15 years ago, that I was going to burn-out, instead of rust-out. I expect my last day on earth will probably be either leg or back day, in the gym, and that's okay with me. - Ironwill2008

I have a NEW journal!?!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=269153861&posted=1#post269153861

Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I train. My goal is to hit PR's every week, especially on certain exercises, such as the max effort squat and bench days, and everything I do training and diet wise is geared toward this goal. Before 08AUG08 (my 40th birthday) I will compete in a PL meet again. I will probably do a deadlift meet as a warm-up (WABDL in April or May, preferably May) of next year.

Next goal after that is to regain flexibility in the shoulders, particularly the left, and take up OL'ing again. And yes, with competition as the goal.

mfsteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfsteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfsteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfsteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfsteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfsteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfsteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfsteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfsteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfsteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfsteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Count me as a "workout".

Jimislash is just really nice. (+1000) Jimislash is just really nice. (+1000) Jimislash is just really nice. (+1000) Jimislash is just really nice. (+1000) Jimislash is just really nice. (+1000) Jimislash is just really nice. (+1000) Jimislash is just really nice. (+1000) Jimislash is just really nice. (+1000) Jimislash is just really nice. (+1000) Jimislash is just really nice. (+1000) Jimislash is just really nice. (+1000)
    I train. I have tweaked my workouts here and there to reach my goals (mostly strength related). That being said, I do love working out .
    Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3059531

Bench- 465; Squat- 710; Deadlift- 575

Goals for 2008

Bench- 500; Squat- 800; Deadlift- 600

ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by oldsuperman View Post
    I rarely give them advice anymore to the people that approach me because when I do, 98% of them will not put forth the "intensity", or "consistency" or diet to succeed. They come to the gym to "just work out." They lack "intensity and consistency," with no idea of how to achieve the goals they seek. They come to "workout" and "train" for nothing....
    This is true.

I suppose I started working out. As time went by and I became 'hooked' into a more fit me - that is in a physical, mental, and emotional state of being, I think I have begun to shift into the train mode. My short term training goal (within 1 year) is to reduce my bodyfat to below 14%. I'm always amazed by the people that ask me about my workout routines. I tell them and I also tell them I workout 4 times a week and never miss. That's when you can tell they workout. They usually have a comeback like, "well, I'm really busy" or "I wish I could do that".

Good Question OldSuperMan.
    47yr male, 5'11", 235lbs, BF who knows? (Oct 05)
    48yr male, 5'11", 200lbs, 15.2% BF (Nov 06)
    48yr male, 5'11", 200lbs, 15.2% BF (May 07)
    49yr male, 5'11", 200lbs, 14.5% BF (Aug 07)
    49yr male, 5'11", 200lbs, 13.5% BF (Jan 08)
    50yr male, 5'11", 200lbs, 13.5% BF (Jul 08)

....and the height chart says I'm fat...ugh!
    Oh well, I gotta one pack ab.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    always training...I love that word and I love your explanation....

CapitalJay is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CapitalJay is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CapitalJay is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CapitalJay is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CapitalJay is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CapitalJay is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CapitalJay is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CapitalJay is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CapitalJay is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CapitalJay is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CapitalJay is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hi Ed,

I completely agree with you about "training" vs "working out" and the success rate. What it comes down to are goals. If you have a goal, you are training to achieve it. You have a reason to get to the gym, to get up early, to make extra lean meals, to push out that last rep, or to get to bed on time. When one is only heading to the gym only to "get in a workout", there is no plan or timeline because there is no burning reason to get that workout in. Eventually, it gets too easy for one to say "Why should I do this when I don't feel like it today?" The slippery slope leads to falling into old habits and eventually abandoning the healthy lifestyle one had chosen to pursue.

One of my favorite quotes is: "The difference between a dream and a goal is a plan." I think to many people dream and not enough people plan.
    <Insert witty comment and inspiring quote here>

my journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142021531

Domkratos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Domkratos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Domkratos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Domkratos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Domkratos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Domkratos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Domkratos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Domkratos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Domkratos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Domkratos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Domkratos has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thumbs up Train

Thanks for the explanation, sir. English is not my native tongue, so I haven't been aware until now that the two terms do discern that much and that the goal is what makes the difference.
    So, that being said, definitely I'm Training and my workouts (sorry) training days are the heavy loaded cars I'm pulling and pushing towards the ultimate Goal—the STRENGHT.
    Yes, I remember this is not “heavylifting.com”, this is bodybuilding.com. I do like this place and most of the people, still it is SRENGTH.

Go TB RAYS/BUCS/LIGHTNING Like It Or Not's Avatar
    Like It Or Not is a name known to all. (+5000) Like It Or Not is a name known to all. (+5000) Like It Or Not is a name known to all. (+5000) Like It Or Not is a name known to all. (+5000) Like It Or Not is a name known to all. (+5000) Like It Or Not is a name known to all. (+5000) Like It Or Not is a name known to all. (+5000) Like It Or Not is a name known to all. (+5000) Like It Or Not is a name known to all. (+5000) Like It Or Not is a name known to all. (+5000) Like It Or Not is a name known to all. (+5000)
    People may be working towards the same goal(s), but call it different things. I prefer the term "working out" as, even someone not familiar with lifting weights knows that you are either talking about lifting weights or doing some sort of cardio.

However, if you use the term, "I am in training", that could pretty much encompass a variety of topics. (i.e. lifting weights, cardio, boxing, etc.)

Many of the people who workout/train do have goals in mind, so it really doesn't matter what you call it.

Someone from up north may drink a "pop", down south, they south "soda". Up north "icebox", in the south, "refrigerator".

Again, call it what you want, but it's the end result that we are all after.

P.S. A poll would have been a good idea to add to your thread.
    Last edited by Like It Or Not; 11-06-2007 at 12:20 PM. Reason: typo

StartinOver-68 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartinOver-68 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartinOver-68 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartinOver-68 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartinOver-68 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartinOver-68 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartinOver-68 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartinOver-68 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartinOver-68 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartinOver-68 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartinOver-68 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Like It Or Not View Post
    People may be working towards the same goal(s), but call it different things. I prefer the term "working out" as, even someone not familiar with lifting weights knows that you are either talking about lifting weights or doing some sort of cardio.

However, if you use the term, "I am in training", that could pretty much encompass a variety of topics. (i.e. lifting weights, cardio, boxing, etc.)

Many of the people who workout/train do have goals in mind, so it really doesn't matter what you call it.

Someone from up north may drink a "pop", down south, they south "soda". Up north "icebox", in the south, "refrigerator".

Again, call it what you want, buts it's the end result that we are all after.

P.S. A poll would have been a good idea to add to your thread.
    Best answer yet in my opinion......... Reps.

oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Now, I'm not saying anything is wrong with "working out." I just feel to me, it means two different things, one has a strong commitment to a goal, a vision, and the other terminology rarely does. It just hangs there. To me, it is more than semantics!

So, the question is..... "Do you train?" Or, "Just work out?" ed
    Originally Posted by Like It Or Not View Post

I believe it DOES matter, or else why do so many fail. Words and their meanings are very powerful and can and do amazing things by evoking all kinds of emotions and action. Some may "Workout" with a goal in mind, yet IMO, MOST do not. Again, 97% will fail. ed
    Last edited by oldsuperman; 11-06-2007 at 08:13 AM.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=180967149598&v=info#/event.php?eid=264800703001&ref=nf

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ServoScanMan View Post
    This is true.
    As time went by and I became 'hooked' into a more fit me - that is in a physical, mental, and emotional state of being, I think I have begun to shift into the train mode.
    Good Question OldSuperMan.
    The Mental, and emotional state of being! Very good! I strongly believe that is why people fail as well. They only look at the "physical" part of their lives and omit the "Whole" body! Therefore they are completly outa balence. ed

Bob45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bob45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bob45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bob45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bob45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bob45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bob45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bob45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bob45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bob45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bob45 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I believe it DOES matter, or else why do so many fail. Word and their meanings are very powerful and can and do amazing things by evoking all kinds of emotions and action. Some may "Workout" with a goal in mind, yet IMO, MOST do not. Again, 97% will fail. ed
    I imagine I train in my head. Then often get sidetracked with other things in life. Then the goals don't get reached. Then try again. I guess I fall into the 97%. When I was single and no one depended on me I reached my goals easily. I don't know what term to use but workouts/training do make me progress in a lot of ways.

The goals I had when I was in my 20's I still want.
    Last edited by Bob45; 11-06-2007 at 08:47 AM.

IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I call what I do "working out" or "weight training" and have always met my goals and will continue to meet them. I don't think the word itself dictates whether or not your succeed...it's the will inside a person that does.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
    I will choose a path that's clear
    I will choose freewill

Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174190821&referrerid=1173311

Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000)
    Lifting I definitely have goals, but more often I'm 'working out' rather than training. If I'm lifting for a specific athletic performance, I'm training.

Athletic/sports I am definitely training.

I'm not sure exactly how I would define the difference, but there is one in my mind. Not that does not necessarily equate to intensity, goals commitment etc..

Kind of like asking if weight training is a sport.

IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Each workout is a component of my training!

Individually they are workouts, in aggregate they are training.
    Any workout you can walk away from is a good workout.

robrus is on a distinguished road. (+10) robrus is on a distinguished road. (+10) robrus is on a distinguished road. (+10) robrus is on a distinguished road. (+10) robrus is on a distinguished road. (+10) robrus is on a distinguished road. (+10) robrus is on a distinguished road. (+10) robrus is on a distinguished road. (+10) robrus is on a distinguished road. (+10) robrus is on a distinguished road. (+10) robrus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would have to say I train. About 7 years ago I was getting very bad work related upper middle back aches. Fortunately a good chiropractor got me started with some PT, and as I saw improvements from that I began trying different exercise methods. Mainly to strengthen my shoulder girdle & upper back. One thing led to another. I have routines now that specifically help for my work, and my love for hiking and nature photography, which involves carry a good bit of weight on my treks. My physical appearance has improved, but the goal is performance based.

EYE FOR DETAIL will become famous soon enough. (+50) EYE FOR DETAIL will become famous soon enough. (+50) EYE FOR DETAIL will become famous soon enough. (+50) EYE FOR DETAIL will become famous soon enough. (+50) EYE FOR DETAIL will become famous soon enough. (+50) EYE FOR DETAIL will become famous soon enough. (+50) EYE FOR DETAIL will become famous soon enough. (+50) EYE FOR DETAIL will become famous soon enough. (+50) EYE FOR DETAIL will become famous soon enough. (+50) EYE FOR DETAIL will become famous soon enough. (+50) EYE FOR DETAIL will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I Trained In The 80's For Contests,now I'm Sure That I Just
    Workout. My Intensity Is High,but So Many Personal Life
    Distractions....job,kids,wife,bills,i'm Sure That You Get The
    Picture. I Now Stay In Shape To Officiate Sports For Kids,my
    Goals Are Different Than Before. In The 80's It Was All About
    Me!!! Now I Have Others To Share My Life Social And Personal
    With. ...............dave
    "KNOWLEDGE IS POWER"
    I LIKE THE CAP LOCK...DO YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH IT!!!!

hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotdamnman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sad to say, but I guess I'm just workingout, but my new goal is to train!
    You're either in or in the way!

I'm not really a comedian, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Onomatopoeia == good buzz bhaputi's Avatar
    bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I really do not think I ever simply worked out, according to your definition. I have always had a goal while hitting the gym/road. Initially it was to lose fat - which I did to the tune of almost 100 pounds. After that, I re-evaluated, and set my sights on passing a physical test for a job, so my workout changed to get me to that goal. I now also have a secondary and tertiary goal. Secondary is to run a marathon in Oct. 2008. Tertiary is to consistently improve my speed while running distance. These are all related, so every time I hit any sort of workout I have these goals in mind, whether the specific workout is hitting the track, running 10 miles, doing situps/pushups, or lifting in the gym.

I agree with you 100% Ed - if you do not have a specific goal, it is rare that you will continue, since most people do not truly enjoy working out - they just like the results. If you do not have a goal, I doubt you will see enough results to keep you going.

rudai123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rudai123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rudai123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rudai123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rudai123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rudai123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rudai123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rudai123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rudai123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rudai123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rudai123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great thought provoking post. I guess I never really thought about if I was training or working out. I probably am in the middle.
    This post has really given me an eyeopener. I going to commit to "Training" from now on. Wow, that felt good to write that.
    Pride is what compels a man to work hard when no one else is looking.

Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    So true. I've been in a working out rut for awhile now and couldn't put my finger on why until you brought this up. Seems I'm working out right now because I have no goals aside from the target weights in my workout.

I train when the wife and I have booked a trip to Cancun or some other place where I'll be taking my shirt off. Funny how that works because when I know we are going to Cancun, I train like a wildman. When I've got no place to go, I workout and sometimes it's a job just pushing through a workout.

Looks like I need to set some goals and start training again - thanks!
    "Don't wish it were easier, wish you were better!"

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. -A. R. Bernard

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places."
    Ernest Hemingway - "A Farewell to Arms"

IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000)
    In all honesty, I guess I just workout.

I have general goals (improved health, improved strength, lower BF%), but not any specific goals.

Pencil-Legged Geek user1531320510's Avatar
    user1531320510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user1531320510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user1531320510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user1531320510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user1531320510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user1531320510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user1531320510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user1531320510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user1531320510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user1531320510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user1531320510 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Goals are very important ways to keep your motivation up. I've got my main goal in mind, and I'm looking down the road a couple of goals at all times. I intend on keeping a goal for (hopefully) the rest of my life so I don't backslide into old, bad habits.

There's also little secondary goals, like being at the top of my gym's chart of most workout days in a month.

So if going to the gym and watching what I eat in hopes of meeting my goal is training, I guess I'm training.

GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I train for life. In the gym I have weight lifting related goals (300 BP, 400 Squat, 500 DL), outside the gym I have a variety of goals. I have PTSD, and training provides me with relief for a number of the symptoms: Anger, lack of concentration/focus, sleep deprivation, anxiety. This in turn effects much of the rest of my life: I'm closer to God, I'm a better husband and father, I'm a better person in general.

All of these goals keep me consistent, determined, and motivated.
    Jesus is my lifting partner.

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kevin Miller View Post
    I train for life. In the gym I have weight lifting related goals (300 BP, 400 Squat, 500 DL), outside the gym I have a variety of goals. I have PTSD, and training provides me with relief for a number of the symptoms: Anger, lack of concentration/focus, sleep deprivation, anxiety. This in turn effects much of the rest of my life: I'm closer to God, I'm a better husband and father, I'm a better person in general.

All of these goals keep me consistent, determined, and motivated.
    Very good Kevin! ed

IronIc is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronIc is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronIc is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronIc is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronIc is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronIc is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronIc is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronIc is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronIc is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronIc is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronIc is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I say train! Training for a healthy, active life to my 70's and beyond. This takes dedication, constant re-evaluation of my goals, and "chipping away" at stubborn old habits. It's for life in my opinion!

Great post Supe
    ~ Penney

Diet * (weights + cardio) = success

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139344213&p=774586483#post774586483

We must be the change we wish to see in the world
    -Ghandi

This seems to be a good place for this question, I have so many 'problem areas' that I want to improve on. Some of these problems are due to poor genetics, others are because I gave up on myself. The bottom line is that there just isn't enough time, nor energy, to hit them all - so in the meantime I haven't been focusing on any one area, but instead, have just been doing full-body routines in the desperate hope that they will improve in time.

Would I be better off sticking with this philosophy or focusing on a few parts at a time?

Utah...but I'm taller batteryrequired's Avatar
    batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000) batteryrequired is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Good post buddy. Looks to me like I need to work on rewording my journal to say "Todays weight training day looked like this" as opposed to "Todays workout...."
    Makes sense to me!
    Double T Sponsored Athlete!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If you are going through hell... keep going" Sir Winston Churchill