Burl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Tired of Lurking please Critique my diet and workout

Could you guys check my diet and workout for any glaring mistakes. I am pretty new to bodybuilding and bodybuilding dieting. I am getting some good advice but I still feel like I am having to play catch up everyday just to understand some of what I am reading and being told.
    Please keep in mind this is a work in progress like myself so it can change and I can change if needed.
    My age is 41 and my weight is 250 pounds at a height of 68 inches and a body fat level of 30 something which I hope to bring down to about 20% at a weight of 200 by Xmas.
    That means I have to lose about 10 pounds per month which is possible, I hope.
    I will be taking in about 1800 to 2000 calories per day at the beginning to see how that works out. If I start losing to fast I will up the cals or drop the cals according to how my body responds. In the past when I dieted it seemed like I had a slow metabolism so that is why my cals are so low to start with.
    I will be doing walking in the fat burning mode in the evening and weights in the morning before work.
    I have a workout partner that is in good shape and wants to lose a few pounds so we are doing it together.
    I have been doing (only) the weights with him for the past month to learn how to workout and to get the soreness out.
    I have also been working out my diet at this time and building it so it fits my life style and the way I want to be eating for the rest of my life.
    As far as supplements we are going to start taking Creatine, but I am a little worried about that because I have some high blood pressure and I can’t find any studies that definitely say it does not raise blood pressure, so if you guys have anything on that please tell me.

Our workout consists of
    Monday
    Leg press 5 x 10
    Front Smith Squat 3 x 10
    Thigh Extension 3 x 10
    Leg Curl 3 x 10
    Calf work 3 x 10

Tuesday
    Front Pulldown 5 x 10
    Seated close row 3 x 10
    Weighted Hypers 3 x 10
    Smith Mch Shrug 3 x 10
    Waist work

Wednesday
    Walking in the fat zone morning and evening.

Thursday
    Bench Press 5 x 10
    Incline Bench 3 x 10
    Front Delt Raises 3 x 10
    Side Laterals 3 x 10
    Rear Delt Mch 3 x 10
    Crunch Mch

Friday
    Olympic bar curls 5 x 10
    Preacher curls 3 x 10
    Close Grip Bench 5 x 10
    Pushdowns 3 x 10
    Forearm work 3 x 10

Diet
    Breakfast before workout
    6 boiled egg whites
    Yogurt and Bran cereal mixed together
    Coffee

Post workout Drink
    1 Banana
    5 Strawberries
    1 Scoop Whey Protein
    Creatine and one Table spoon honey to make the creatine work????
    1 table spoon Fiber
    Sweetened with Splenda.

Lunch
    It is a mixture of chicken, rice, and veggies that I mix together to eat at work. I know exactly how many calories are in each portion, so I can make it go up or down in calories or protein.
    Snack
    The same drink I had in the morning without the honey or creatine.

Dinner
    A small beef steak
    Broccoli and Cauliflower
    1 one hundred calorie whole wheat roll.

Well that is it so let the axes fall. thanks

Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Welcome to the forum. I'm sure by now you realize that you are a CHAMP. Welcome to the club.

There are a lot of things to address in your post so I'm just going to pick one and let the other do the rest.

The fat burning mode on your treadmill is not the most effective way to lose fat. While you will lose a greater % of fat of the weight loss, overall you lose less fat than if you work out at a higher intensity. Interval training is the best and should last maybe 40 minutes with warmup and cool down. You really want to push yourself on the cardio (as much as you are physically able). If you can read of hold a conversation, you are not working hard enough.

As far as calories needed, check out this site: http://michaelandkendra.com/BMRCALC/bmrcalc.htm

Not eating enough is detrimental to your weight loss.

Here's some more toys to play with - Health (including calories burned, bmi, bf%, etc.): http://www.healthstatus.com/

Registered User geriatricmuscle's Avatar
    geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello Burl and welcome. There is nothing wrong with the schedule; legs, back and traps, chest and sho, and arms....I would suggest you work up to weighted hypers. You can start with bodyweight only. Regarding the diet. You'll do better without the fruit. All it is is fructose and has no value when dieting down. Use Gatorade or dextrose and water to mix with your post w/o shake. You might alternate oats with the dry cerial. When eating rice or potatoes try to eat brown rice ot sweat potatos. Add a 1/2 cup l.f cottage cheese and 1 level tsp. of NATURAL peanut butter before bed. If you eat to few calories your metabolism will slow down and you will have a harder time burning calories.

Wish you well. You're on the right track, shift into the next gear and you're good to go.

gm

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Welcome to the over 35 forum.

Bump geriatricmuscle's advice.

Also.......get the fiber out of your PW shake. It will only serve to slow absorbtion. Take it another time.

Take your time and make small sustainable chanes in your lifestyle.
    Making too many changes at once usually only leads to burnout and people quitting.

This is not a diet for you.....THIS IS A LIFESTYLE CHANGE.

Work your way up to at least 4-5 cardio sessions a week of 30 mins or longer.

Creatine will not effect your blood pressure. Don't worry about that.
    Last edited by Chi_town; 07-27-2005 at 11:41 AM.

joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Talking new member of the CHAMPs

Welcome Burl. You're the right height to be a bodybuilder.