ChiefHanna is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bodybuilding to Powerlifting

Hey all,

Long time listener, first time caller. I've been exercising for about 10 years, originally started bodybuilding in my teens, did a 4 year hiatus where I was a competitive boxer and now back to weights. Unfortunately,despite getting most of my pre-boxing gains back, I'm lacking the passion I once had in my teens/early 20s and feel like I need a change. Hence I've decided to try powerlifting. My current lifts are S170B145D210 in kilograms. Essentially I'm posting to hear from people who have made a similar change and to see

1.How you've found it, have you enjoyed yourself?
    2. Did you found you lost your gains due to the low reps in PL, kept them, or even gained some more?
    3. Did you find your lifts increased a fair bit simply from adopting powerlifting module/form/technique.
    4. If you could have started all over again, would you have scrapped Bodybuilding to begin with and just done PL?
    5. Have you found PL Strength to be functional in day to day life?

Thanks in advance.

illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I went from bodybuilding (hypertrophy) to powerlifting to now powerbuilding.

I switched to powerlifting once I felt I was a good size. With powerlifting, it seemed like I was losing size after my first 4 almost 5 years, so then I decided to mix in hypertrophy work.

I don’t look like your typical PLer, by any means.
    أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

🚷 Anti-Degeneracy League 🚷

https://www.twitter.com/eyeonpalestine

Mossad acronym: ISIS AKA Israeli Secret Intelligence Service

Originally Posted by illriginalized View Post
    I went from bodybuilding (hypertrophy) to powerlifting to now powerbuilding.

I switched to powerlifting once I felt I was a good size. With powerlifting, it seemed like I was losing size after my first 4 almost 5 years, so then I decided to mix in hypertrophy work.

I don’t look like your typical PLer, by any means.

Thanks for the reply mate, by powerbuilding do you mean you eliminated low rep sets or did you simply add on accessories and hypertrophy sets whilst also doing low rep PL sets?

illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ChiefHanna View Post
    Thanks for the reply mate, by powerbuilding do you mean you eliminated low rep sets or did you simply add on accessories and hypertrophy sets whilst also doing low rep PL sets?
    The latter. Added accessories and hypertrophy sets with low rep PL sets.

However 5/3/1 program will reach hypertrophy sometimes with your main PL exercises.

Currently as I’m cutting (from 255lbs to 230lbs), I’ve switched my program to Sheiko and focusing on technique since strength is going to take a slight hit.

I’ll return to 5/3/1 once I bring my cals to maintenance.
    أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

🚷 Anti-Degeneracy League 🚷

https://www.twitter.com/eyeonpalestine

Mossad acronym: ISIS AKA Israeli Secret Intelligence Service

Originally Posted by illriginalized View Post
    The latter. Added accessories and hypertrophy sets with low rep PL sets.

However 5/3/1 program will reach hypertrophy sometimes with your main PL exercises.

Currently as I’m cutting (from 255lbs to 230lbs), I’ve switched my program to Sheiko and focusing on technique since strength is going to take a slight hit.

I’ll return to 5/3/1 once I bring my cals to maintenance.

Awesome, thanks for your input😊

Raquel0 is not very well liked. (-100) Raquel0 is not very well liked. (-100) Raquel0 is not very well liked. (-100) Raquel0 is not very well liked. (-100) Raquel0 is not very well liked. (-100) Raquel0 is not very well liked. (-100) Raquel0 is not very well liked. (-100) Raquel0 is not very well liked. (-100) Raquel0 is not very well liked. (-100) Raquel0 is not very well liked. (-100) Raquel0 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Relatable.