Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: sprinting

Irish Squatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Irish Squatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Irish Squatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Irish Squatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Irish Squatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Irish Squatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Irish Squatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Irish Squatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Irish Squatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Irish Squatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Irish Squatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

sprinting

hello im a currently weightlifting, and have been for 3 years. i want to get into sprinting but want to keep up weightlifting and add sprint training to my weightlifting programe.

i train 5 days a week
    mon - legs
    tue - shoulders
    wed - lats and chest
    thurs - arms
    friday - dedlift.

cud anyone advise me on wat day to do sprint training on and some exercises sprint technics that i cud do.

Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Irish Squatter
    hello im a currently weightlifting, and have been for 3 years. i want to get into sprinting but want to keep up weightlifting and add sprint training to my weightlifting programe.

i train 5 days a week
    mon - legs
    tue - shoulders
    wed - lats and chest
    thurs - arms
    friday - dedlift.

cud anyone advise me on wat day to do sprint training on and some exercises sprint technics that i cud do.
    Sprint MWF and lift full body the same days. On your other days do callisthenics and recovery work.

Ohioguy37 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

sprints

you could makes sprints your first leg excercise then finish your leg workout. sprints are great though for building size and strength. I like to sprint 20seconds and rest about 30 seconds between.

vaultadactyl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

sprint

I'm a track athlete myself...just wondering, are you going to train and run in some open meets..or just use sprinting as a workout tool?

Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Ohioguy37
    you could makes sprints your first leg excercise then finish your leg workout. sprints are great though for building size and strength. I like to sprint 20seconds and rest about 30 seconds between.
    That is not sprinting. Fast running, maybe, but after your 2nd or 3rd sprint, it would be running at best.

Irish Squatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Irish Squatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Irish Squatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Irish Squatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Irish Squatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Irish Squatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Irish Squatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Irish Squatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Irish Squatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Irish Squatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Irish Squatter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by vaultadactyl
    I'm a track athlete myself...just wondering, are you going to train and run in some open meets..or just use sprinting as a workout tool?
    i want compete wen i go to university, der is no athletics were i live.

thedempseyroll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thedempseyroll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thedempseyroll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thedempseyroll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thedempseyroll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thedempseyroll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thedempseyroll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    400 meters
    300 meters
    200 meters
    100 meters
    I do that 4 times a week on weekdays in the morning before breakfast and I change it up sometimes though.

The_Hobbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Hobbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Hobbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Hobbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Hobbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Hobbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Hobbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Hobbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Hobbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Hobbit will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Hobbit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Check out this article.

http://www.avantlabs.com/magmain.php...=21&pageID=274
    (There is a part 2 as well)

Do 10-20 100 meter sprints. Sprint, walk back, sprint, walk back.. etc..

Originally Posted by The_Hobbit
    Check out this article.

http://www.avantlabs.com/magmain.php...=21&pageID=274
    (There is a part 2 as well)

Do 10-20 100 meter sprints. Sprint, walk back, sprint, walk back.. etc..
    lol not if you plan on actually running 100m competitions and doing well. For cardio or fitness though, maybe.

Originally Posted by Person
    lol not if you plan on actually running 100m competitions and doing well. For cardio or fitness though, maybe.
    i do plan to compete at 100m races but want to keep up my weightlifting as i am doing well at that. so i need some advice.

i do plan to compete at 100m races but want to keep up my weightlifting as i am doing well at that. so i need some advice.
    If you can lift as well as some of the elite sprinters, or hell, elite highschool sprinters, then you will be alright. Do a search on my posts where I provide links to various sites and information that I have presented. What I have already said is the most essential thing. Sprints before weights unless you are going to have a few hours to rest inbetween, then you can do weights before sprints. Do this 2-3 days a week seperated by at least one day.Since lifting is more important, keep the sprint volume a little lower so you can keep up both the intensity and volume of the weight work without any major interference.

If you can lift as well as some of the elite sprinters, or hell, elite highschool sprinters, then you will be alright. Do a search on my posts where I provide links to various sites and information that I have presented. What I have already said is the most essential thing. Sprints before weights unless you are going to have a few hours to rest inbetween, then you can do weights before sprints. Do this 2-3 days a week seperated by at least one day.Since lifting is more important, keep the sprint volume a little lower so you can keep up both the intensity and volume of the weight work without any major interference.

so include sprint exercises 2 to 3 times a week and keep up my weights programme. what about after squat day will i leave 3 days rest on sprint work as my legs usually need that time to recover fully.

so include sprint exercises 2 to 3 times a week and keep up my weights programme. what about after squat day will i leave 3 days rest on sprint work as my legs usually need that time to recover fully.
    If you are a powerlifter or olympic lifter (which I assume you are since you are so big on it), you should not be doing volume to the point where it takes you that long to recover in the first place. If you are sprinting, you need to drop the volume even more.

thedempseyroll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thedempseyroll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thedempseyroll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thedempseyroll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thedempseyroll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thedempseyroll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thedempseyroll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When you do sprint training you don't have to do it to full exhaustion. Sprint an interval of distance on the track and then wait till you're fully recovered to do another. You're trying to build speed and explosiveness so it doesn't matter how long you wait between sprints.

Originally Posted by thedempseyroll
    When you do sprint training you don't have to do it to full exhaustion. Sprint an interval of distance on the track and then wait till you're fully recovered to do another. You're trying to build speed and explosiveness so it doesn't matter how long you wait between sprints.
    Minimum 1 minute rest for every 10m sprinted.

Minimum 1 minute rest for every 10m sprinted.
    i was thinkin 4 mins rest.

was talking to a good coach the day and he told me that da pros do alot of strongman training for sprrinting for eg car push and tyre flip.

run213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) run213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) run213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) run213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) run213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) run213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) run213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) run213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) run213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) run213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) run213 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

sprinting

Hi Irishsquater As a sprint coach at a US university I would tell you to only sprint 2 days a week. Especially if you are just getting started. I would just start with 8to 10 accelleration runs out to 30 meters. Our sprinters always train legs after sprinting. You must make sure you do a proper warmup before sprinting. It is very easy to get hurt. if your not warmed up. after a few weeks of this you can increase your distances from 30 meters to 40 then 50 and so on. Once you go beyond 60-70 meters you are technically not sprinting you are doing speed endurance. Only elite sprinters can go up to 80meters with out slowing down also you should take full recovery between runs. A standard is 1 minute rest for every 10 meters run Example sprint 50 meters rest 5 min. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by run213
    Hi Irishsquater As a sprint coach at a US university I would tell you to only sprint 2 days a week. Especially if you are just getting started. I would just start with 8to 10 accelleration runs out to 30 meters. Our sprinters always train legs after sprinting. You must make sure you do a proper warmup before sprinting. It is very easy to get hurt. if your not warmed up. after a few weeks of this you can increase your distances from 30 meters to 40 then 50 and so on. Once you go beyond 60-70 meters you are technically not sprinting you are doing speed endurance. Only elite sprinters can go up to 80meters with out slowing down also you should take full recovery between runs. A standard is 1 minute rest for every 10 meters run Example sprint 50 meters rest 5 min. Hope this helps.
    big help thanks. what speed does beginner sprinters run when u coach them.

run213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) run213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) run213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) run213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) run213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) run213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) run213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) run213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) run213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) run213 is on a distinguished road. (+10) run213 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

sprinting

When you sprint it is always at full speed, otherwise it is not sprinting. that is why we always start with accelleration runs these are runs where you gradually pick up speed. so in a 30 meter accell run you would only be hitting full speed in your last 10 meters. By increasing your accell runs by 10 meters each week you are increasing your top end speed by 10 meters with each rep. One thing you must be aware of is that when you get to the point where you are running out to 60 or 70 meters I would not go beyond 6-8 reps . Full out sprinting is very stressfull on the central nervous system, as are heavy sguats. I am not sure which is more important sprinting or weight training. So you need to look for a balance, or use one to supplement the other.

Originally Posted by run213
    When you sprint it is always at full speed, otherwise it is not sprinting. that is why we always start with accelleration runs these are runs where you gradually pick up speed. so in a 30 meter accell run you would only be hitting full speed in your last 10 meters. By increasing your accell runs by 10 meters each week you are increasing your top end speed by 10 meters with each rep. One thing you must be aware of is that when you get to the point where you are running out to 60 or 70 meters I would not go beyond 6-8 reps . Full out sprinting is very stressfull on the central nervous system, as are heavy sguats. I am not sure which is more important sprinting or weight training. So you need to look for a balance, or use one to supplement the other.

i meant wat time did they do the 100m in

sprinting

Most incomeing frosh are 10.90 -11.50. In that range.

Chip5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chip5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chip5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chip5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chip5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chip5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chip5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chip5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chip5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chip5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chip5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    sorry for the interruption , run123 , coul du pls list out the types of workouts sprinters normally do ?

sprinting

It would take way to long to go into a training plan for a sprinter there are just to many variables involved. age of athlete. Training age of athlete. Is he a recreational runner or a true track athlete. There are some basic things to know never do full out sprinting 2 days in a row, if you can help it.Always take full recovery if you are going to sprint at 95-100% of your max effort. Try not to sprint all out in temps below 70 degrees if possible There are many web sights that discuss sprinting and show examples of different programs. Good luck.

Chip5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chip5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chip5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chip5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chip5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chip5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chip5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chip5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chip5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chip5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chip5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    alright thanks..
    just one question , do sprinters , lets say olympic sprinters , do they do full body work outs or one body part workout ? and is it okay to do polymetrics then sprint ?

sprinting

Most high level sprinters use a comprehensive weight training program. Our main exercises are squats (many variations) olympic lifts, gluteham machine, lunges stepups and stifflegged dead lifts, along with a few other lifts These are not done on the same day. Also do bench press push press lat pulls rows for upper body and various work for abs. We lift 5 days a week,but as major competition arrives we scale back the volume and to some extent the amount of weight we use To some it up our main lifts are squat snatch, and clean and jerk. Plus lots of abb work. Some programs may differ but probably not to much. There are differing opinions on plyos. We do our plyos before sprinting but they are not very intensive. If we were going to do a really intense plyo work out (depth jumps) lots of box jumping then I would definatly lower the volume of sprinting. Plyos and sprinting are both demanding on the body you have to balance them.

Plyos should generally be done after sprints, since sprinting faster IS the main goal (sprinting itself is plyometric anyways).

sprinting

That is true. But you can do plyos first as long as it is very low impact and you keep the volume low. For us this usually consists of a few sets of alternate bounds on grass. We actually use this as almost a warm up to our sprints. It kind of just stimulates and prepares the Body for max sprinting. Every thing must be balanced. If you were going to do an intense session of plyos then I would not advise doing much if any sprinting after. Sprint training is not unlike other sports such as powerlifting or olympic lifting. There are many diffrent systems that people have been sucsessfull using. There is no one right way to do things.

are injuries more likely to occur when you do polymetrics like tuck jumps , depth jumps box jumps etc ?? i do them on the track instead of grass and i feel the knee isnt feeling great right now , any tips on that ? thanks

Originally Posted by Chip5
    are injuries more likely to occur when you do polymetrics like tuck jumps , depth jumps box jumps etc ?? i do them on the track instead of grass and i feel the knee isnt feeling great right now , any tips on that ? thanks
    Nothing for sprinting is ABSOLUTELY necessary except sprinting itself. If your knees are too bothered by them then find other means of strength training. Weights and medballs are very good alternatives. You could do some plyos on grass as well.

sprinting

I agree with person dont do plyos if they hurt. Just sprint and weight train.If you must do them try some easy skipping on grass. Definatly stay away from depth jumps I dont think you have been training long enough to be incorparating them into your training schedule. Only are top athletes do them and, there contacts are kept to a mineumum.