cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up HOW TO : Build your own boards for BOARD PRESSES

I'll be posting a new topic every week on different aspects of exercise, specifically the who, what, where, when and whys and the allmighty HOWTO's. You can expect to see articles on how to perform excercises correctly, rundown of KETO, dieting, stretching, west side barbell routines, powerlifting history, powerlifting techniques and MUCH MORE.

This week I'll be covering the topic of building additional items to aide in your workout routine. Specifically the boards for "board presses".

To start, heres some information on board presses and their benefits:

Goal of the excercise: The purpose of a board press is to train specific ranges of the pressing motion in order to increase overall power for a bigger bench press. The board press is designed to cure the "sticking" points in a persons bench press. No matter what your routine, you will inevitably go at heavy poundages at some point on the bench press. Should your sticking point be around your chest, use a 1 or 2 board. Should you have trouble locking out? Use a 3-5 board. The boards will limit your ROM and allow you to put up more weight than your 1rm.

Technique: The bar is lowered until it touches the boards, and is pressed back up. The beauty of this movement, is that both the positive and negative bench motions can be utilized in a constrained range of motion. The height of the boards is chosen by the lifter

BUILDING TIME!!!!!
    Supplies:
    - Wood (2x6) [If you want to build boards 1-4 you will need at least 15 feet of wood]
    - Wood/professional grade glue (get an extra bottle)
    - Wood screws (2"-2.5") [I reccomend 2.5"]***
    - Countersink drill bits***
    - Sand paper (60 & 150 grit)***

*** denotes optional

Lets put the pieces together

Making BOARD #1
    - Make a 19" cut in your 2x6 (Mernards or Home Depot can do this for you)
    - Look at it
    - Your done

Making BOARD #2
    - Make a 19" cut in your 2x6
    - Now, make an additional 15" cut in your 2x6
    - Take the one 19" and one 15", and briefly sand up the sides you want to glue. The cuts in the board will help the glue stick. Put wood glue on one side of each board where they will meet and place them on top of each other so end are even. Set in place with some weight on it (15 lb dumbell or a few bricks will suffice). I would let that stay on there for a good 20 minutes. After you feel the glue has stuck make sure their is a strong hold between the 2 boards.
    - Take a drill bit (countersink) thats a wee bit narrower than your wood screw (you want the screw to catch the wood when you put it in the hole) and just as long (2.5") and make for holes near the corners of the 15" board
    - Take screws and put them in the hole.
    - FOR EACH ADDITIONAL BOARD, just add another 15" board to the opposing side and follow step 3.
    - Optional wood filler
    - Sand it down. (highly reccomended) If you dont sand the wood down you have a decent risk of catching a splinter during your lift, which is not fun.

Heres some diagrams of how your final product should look
    Boards 1-3 (from L to R)

And thats it!
    Est time per board: about 10 mins of actual building and sanding per board. Definately worth the investment. Cost me under 12 dollars for a very useful tool that will really bust my tries and help my bench skyrocket!
    Last edited by irishkid; 10-30-2007 at 09:48 PM.

dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    sorry I work with tools everyday I just think the parts list/ description for such a simple task is funny

btw, we just have 4 boards we bring and the guy holding them just clamps em' with his hands

seems to work fine
    Last edited by dirtpool; 10-30-2007 at 10:16 PM.

cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000) cupcakekid is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by dirtpool View Post
    just nail or screw some 2X4s together you fukkin' dork...
    sorry I work with tools everyday I just think the parts list/ description for such a simple task is funny

btw, we just have 4 boards we bring and the guy holding them just clamps em' with his hands

seems to work fine
    glad to hear you benfitted so much from the article......

not everyone knows how to build boards or for many beginners, they have NEVER even seen boards built together in real life. the benefit with these boards is the ease of having anyone in the gym being able to spot with it or taking a knee wrap and wrapping it around your chest. thanks. see ya.

dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10) dirtpool is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yeah sorry bud I was just being an ass, what are you gonna' tackle for your next article?

Originally Posted by dirtpool View Post
    yeah sorry bud I was just being an ass, what are you gonna' tackle for your next article?
    likely a thorough rundown of WSBB. or 5x5.

Inquire about Zapnin SolidSteel86's Avatar
    SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SolidSteel86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah, they're pretty easy to build the normal questions just arise about how long to make them and what width to use.

You hit both.

Point of reference: You can just duct tape the damn things together...
    I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor. -- Thoreau

Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dark_MadMax is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I thought making boards is not rocket science Anyways I dont glue mine - I use scotch tape - for when you need less or more boards they are easily separated.

WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500)
    I just bought some chaulk....how do I put it on my hands???

I-Am-Iron-Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) I-Am-Iron-Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) I-Am-Iron-Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) I-Am-Iron-Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) I-Am-Iron-Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) I-Am-Iron-Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) I-Am-Iron-Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) I-Am-Iron-Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) I-Am-Iron-Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) I-Am-Iron-Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) I-Am-Iron-Man will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Dark_MadMax View Post
    I thought making boards is not rocket science Anyways I dont glue mine - I use scotch tape - for when you need less or more boards they are easily separated.
    i use elastic bands lol. i have a ****load of real good ones i brought home from work and i put 3 or 4 on each end and it holds them together real tight, and its extremely easy to switch between 2 and 3 board

Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000)
    Good Work posting an article to help people out who need it. Ignore that moron "wowweakforum" and any others that give you **** about it.
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"

Fryed Chykenz for lyfe: mcxk

vascularing defination Newbtime's Avatar
    Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i dont think anyone needs instructions on how to screw two planks of wood together...lol

anyway, if you are a raw bencher don't waste your time making anything above a 3 board, unless you have freakishly long arms.

UHCougar05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UHCougar05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UHCougar05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UHCougar05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UHCougar05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UHCougar05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UHCougar05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UHCougar05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UHCougar05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UHCougar05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UHCougar05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I also recommend not using velcro to keep the boards together. I used boards that were kept together by velcro and I always worried that they would fall apart because they were so flimsy.
    Last edited by UHCougar05; 10-31-2007 at 09:33 AM.
    http://www.thewarehousegym.net/ - PL/SM gym on the South Side of Houston owned by Dr. Zach McVey

dog20 is a name known to all. (+5000) dog20 is a name known to all. (+5000) dog20 is a name known to all. (+5000) dog20 is a name known to all. (+5000) dog20 is a name known to all. (+5000) dog20 is a name known to all. (+5000) dog20 is a name known to all. (+5000) dog20 is a name known to all. (+5000) dog20 is a name known to all. (+5000) dog20 is a name known to all. (+5000) dog20 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    can someone post a video of a guy using a board press?

Rawngus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rawngus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rawngus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rawngus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rawngus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rawngus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rawngus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rawngus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rawngus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rawngus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rawngus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    velcro is what i use and its great if you use the thick stuff but a bitch to break apart

UHCougar05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UHCougar05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UHCougar05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UHCougar05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UHCougar05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UHCougar05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UHCougar05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UHCougar05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UHCougar05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UHCougar05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UHCougar05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dog20 View Post
    can someone post a video of a guy using a board press?
    http://www.thewarehousegym.net/ - PL/SM gym on the South Side of Houston owned by Dr. Zach McVey

Originally Posted by Rawngus View Post
    velcro is what i use and its great if you use the thick stuff but a bitch to break apart
    Yeah, they weren't mine, they were supplied by the gym I used to go to. He used the cheap velcro and 2x4s instead of 2x6s, there were several times I was afraid I was going to miss the boards completely.

skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Berserker-Power View Post
    Good Work posting an article to help people out who need it. Ignore that moron "wowweakforum" and any others that give you **** about it.
    x2

I wonder what kinda' of weight guys like scott m. and ryan k. use for raw board presses

Siggy66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Siggy66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Siggy66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Siggy66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Siggy66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Siggy66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Siggy66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Siggy66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Siggy66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Siggy66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Siggy66 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This article is old but it helped me make some today! 1-4 board! Thanks!
    Attached Images