Thread: Spinal erectors

Bomb Squizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Spinal erectors

Looking to strengthen my back. I've always had a problem with my abs being much stronger than my lower back. Of course this creates an imbalance and leads to a lot of low back pain, plus my abs seem to be sore all the time. Anyway, i just wanna strengthen my spinal erectors and muscles of the lower back, any suggestions?
    Brian: Face it Peter, you get competitive about everything.
    Peter: I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
    ~Family Guy

"A male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident."
    ~Zoolander

Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Arrow

Deadlifts will build up your lower back fast. Hyperextensions are good too.
    "Shut up and lift!"
    "Eat big to get big."
    "Deadlift and grow."
    'Train, Eat, Sleep."
    "Knowledge is power."
    "What does not kill you, will make you stronger."

Ergo sum fortissimus.

Lookin at the Big Picture BernieD's Avatar
    BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ^yea, what he said.

Another option is good mornings, although personally I was never a fan of that exercise. But try them out, you might like it
    The complete shoulder and RC injury thread, written by myself:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968 (MASSIVE NEW UPDATE AS OF 10/6/05)

Form is paramount.

Focus, focus, focus.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Bomb Squizzle
    Looking to strengthen my back. I've always had a problem with my abs being much stronger than my lower back. Of course this creates an imbalance and leads to a lot of low back pain, plus my abs seem to be sore all the time. Anyway, i just wanna strengthen my spinal erectors and muscles of the lower back, any suggestions?
    Stiff legged deadlift on box
    Good mornings
    Hyperextensions
    Cable Pull throughs
    Last edited by DiamondDelts; 07-15-2005 at 08:15 PM.

lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lonewolfshome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Bomb Squizzle
    s l d lifts ( toes raised on weight plates )......hypers ........deadlifts.....good mornings
    if you want good training advice , dont ask the biggest guy in the gym. ask the guy who's made the most improvement

steve777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) steve777 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Dead lifts work for me. Hyper extensions also work. I prefer doing high reps with hypers. I like to do them with body weight with arms held behind the head. Warm up with high reps(25 to 40 reps) and as strength increases slowly add weight with a barbell held tight against the upper back. I ususally do 2 or 3 sets after deadlifts to failure. Another good one if you have a BOSU ball is the "superman" lying on stomach with arms and legs fully extended. This can also be done on the floor w/o the ball. Not as intense as deads or hypers, but if its the only thing you have, build up to hold the superman position for one or two minutes and you will see results. The key is to avoid injury when working this part of your lower back. If you injur your lower back by trying to overlift, it will effect all bodyparts. Straight legged dead lifts are also good but a bit more risky because it is difficult to "arch" your lower back muscles in the starting position. if you do these don't try to go to heavy too fast and attempt to arch your lower back. Same with good mornings- riskier excersise. Keep your head up in all lower back excersises to maintain correct posture - this will also help you to avoid injury.
    Last edited by steve777; 07-15-2005 at 08:07 PM.
    Isaiah 61:10
    I delight greatly in the LORD;
    my soul rejoices in my God.
    For he has clothed me with garments of salvation
    and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness,
    as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest,
    and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Olifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Overhead Squats hell to develop the core very well.
    Less food means less weight. More weight on bar means get stronger. Guy farts while squatting means great laughter. -Dan John-

Ez_Motion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ez_Motion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ez_Motion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ez_Motion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ez_Motion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try stretching your abs more also, stretching is overlooked when it comes to abs.

Edit: If you can get a friend to help you, you can dynamically stretch them. Have your friend hold you down at the hips and you push yourself up hold for 2 then back down and repeat 10times.
    Last edited by Ez_Motion; 07-16-2005 at 11:36 PM.

Lookin at the Big Picture BernieD's Avatar
    BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by steve777
    Dead lifts work for me. Hyper extensions also work. I prefer doing high reps with hypers. I like to do them with body weight with arms held behind the head. Warm up with high reps(25 to 40 reps) and as strength increases slowly add weight with a barbell held tight against the upper back. I ususally do 2 or 3 sets after deadlifts to failure. Another good one if you have a BOSU ball is the "superman" lying on stomach with arms and legs fully extended. This can also be done on the floor w/o the ball. Not as intense as deads or hypers, but if its the only thing you have, build up to hold the superman position for one or two minutes and you will see results. The key is to avoid injury when working this part of your lower back. If you injur your lower back by trying to overlift, it will effect all bodyparts. Straight legged dead lifts are also good but a bit more risky because it is difficult to "arch" your lower back muscles in the starting position. if you do these don't try to go to heavy too fast and attempt to arch your lower back. Same with good mornings- riskier excersise. Keep your head up in all lower back excersises to maintain correct posture - this will also help you to avoid injury.
    yea, supermans are another good one, forgot about those
    The complete shoulder and RC injury thread, written by myself:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968 (MASSIVE NEW UPDATE AS OF 10/6/05)

Form is paramount.

Focus, focus, focus.