mtl_cowboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool protein bars - opinion

I just started a program where I'm going to focus on losing roughly 5-8 pounds of fat over a 6 week period. That's about how much fat I need to lose to get my abs to show.

In any case, I'm on the go, like a lot of people. I need to stock up on some bars that I can eat when I'm in a rush. I've tried a variety of bars ranging from Detour, the new Myoplex ones, and others.

Can we start a dialogue about which bars are good for leaning up? I want to lose some fat, so I'm not about to eat bars with high sugar or high calorie content.

I need a bar that's between 100 and 250 calories, that tastes good, with sufficient amounts of protein.

I'm making some changes in my diet which include drinking much more water, cutting down caffeine intake, practically eliminating alcohol, increasing veggie/fruit intake, and eating a healthy balanced diet which includes adequate protein to retain the muscle mass that I have.

From a training standpoint, I'm focusing on cardio! I plan on weight training twice a week (alternating between upper and lower body), and doing hardcore cardio three times a week.

The ultimate objective is to lose the little bit of fat that I have so I can have a toned stomach. :-)

Any opinions on which bars I should consider when I'm on the go, would be greatly appreciated!
    -------

5'10", 195 pounds

My target is 175-185 pounds with a lean build and decent muscle mass.

geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Check out the Lean Body bars by Labrada. They are fairly low in fat and sugar, but have a nice amount of protein in them. Plus, they don't taste like a$$

Dr Eggwhite has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dr Eggwhite has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dr Eggwhite has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dr Eggwhite has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Zone diet bars are real good as a snack when eaten with a proper diet.

dieselbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) dieselbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) dieselbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) dieselbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) dieselbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) dieselbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) dieselbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) dieselbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) dieselbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) dieselbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) dieselbuilder is just really nice. (+1000)
    yea zone diet bars taste good, i would rec them
    I was very fortunate to live in this time when bodybuilding was embraced by Hollywood, embraced by doctors, embraced by the world.
    -Joe Gold

I say we get that embracement back!

Tkarrde will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tkarrde will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tkarrde will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tkarrde will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tkarrde will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tkarrde will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tkarrde will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tkarrde will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tkarrde will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tkarrde will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tkarrde will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Dr Eggwhite
    Zone diet bars are real good as a snack when eaten with a proper diet.
    Yes. EAS Carb control bars are alright as well, though taste-wise Zone bars are better IMO.
    Never mind the bollocks, here's issue #47 of Mind and Muscle Magazine, available now! http://magazine.mindandmuscle.net

Join M&M's Inner Circle and chat one-on-one with Industry Giants Will Brink, Bill Llewellyn, Marc McDougal, Anssi Manninen and Caleb Stone aka Par Deus!!!

PSKlifter is just really nice. (+1000) PSKlifter is just really nice. (+1000) PSKlifter is just really nice. (+1000) PSKlifter is just really nice. (+1000) PSKlifter is just really nice. (+1000) PSKlifter is just really nice. (+1000) PSKlifter is just really nice. (+1000) PSKlifter is just really nice. (+1000) PSKlifter is just really nice. (+1000) PSKlifter is just really nice. (+1000) PSKlifter is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mtl_cowboy
    I just started a program where I'm going to focus on losing roughly 5-8 pounds of fat over a 6 week period. That's about how much fat I need to lose to get my abs to show.

In any case, I'm on the go, like a lot of people. I need to stock up on some bars that I can eat when I'm in a rush. I've tried a variety of bars ranging from Detour, the new Myoplex ones, and others.

Can we start a dialogue about which bars are good for leaning up? I want to lose some fat, so I'm not about to eat bars with high sugar or high calorie content.

I need a bar that's between 100 and 250 calories, that tastes good, with sufficient amounts of protein.

I'm making some changes in my diet which include drinking much more water, cutting down caffeine intake, practically eliminating alcohol, increasing veggie/fruit intake, and eating a healthy balanced diet which includes adequate protein to retain the muscle mass that I have.

From a training standpoint, I'm focusing on cardio! I plan on weight training twice a week (alternating between upper and lower body), and doing hardcore cardio three times a week.

The ultimate objective is to lose the little bit of fat that I have so I can have a toned stomach. :-)

Any opinions on which bars I should consider when I'm on the go, would be greatly appreciated!
    honestly, it would be much more effective if you skipped the bars. low quality protein for the most part, plus other needless stuff. when your on the go, just have a shaker or two w/ u, can always throw down a shake anytime. if your using just whey, drink it w/ some milk or add as a drink to any small food item (also needs to be healthy/useful to the body)

Rage (SoCal) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rage (SoCal) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rage (SoCal) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rage (SoCal) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rage (SoCal) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rage (SoCal) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rage (SoCal) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rage (SoCal) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rage (SoCal) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rage (SoCal) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rage (SoCal) has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I know it is a little out of your calorie range but lately I have frallen in love with these new Met-Rx 100 Bars. They are chocalate chip and taste damn good. They have something like 32 grams of protein in them and butt load of vitamins and such. They are around 360 calories but only have 4 grams of fat or so and like 2.5g saturated fats. Compared to other bars as far as taste and nutritional value go, I really prefer this new bar.

It is very hard to find a good tasting bar that has a good amount of protein in it and that low in calories. Goo dluck.
    The World is Filled with Dumb People. Unfortunately, a lot of them want to lift weights.

Originally Posted by PSKlifter
    honestly, it would be much more effective if you skipped the bars. low quality protein for the most part, plus other needless stuff. when your on the go, just have a shaker or two w/ u, can always throw down a shake anytime. if your using just whey, drink it w/ some milk or add as a drink to any small food item (also needs to be healthy/useful to the body)
    I like your advice. The reason I posted this thread is because I was contemplating buying some bars, but became a little weary. They range from lean mean cardboard chocolate, to a mars bar with protein. I think having these bars might not be such a good idea (based on my goals obviously). I'm going to go with your suggestion and keep a store of protein powder in my car, at work, and at home.

The last thing I want to do right now is add useless calories. In addition, I could probably save alot of $$$ by buying whey.
    -------

5'10", 195 pounds

PSKlifter is just really nice. (+1000) PSKlifter is just really nice. (+1000) PSKlifter is just really nice. (+1000) PSKlifter is just really nice. (+1000) PSKlifter is just really nice. (+1000) PSKlifter is just really nice. (+1000) PSKlifter is just really nice. (+1000) PSKlifter is just really nice. (+1000) PSKlifter is just really nice. (+1000) PSKlifter is just really nice. (+1000) PSKlifter is just really nice. (+1000)
    I like your advice. The reason I posted this thread is because I was contemplating buying some bars, but became a little weary. They range from lean mean cardboard chocolate, to a mars bar with protein. I think having these bars might not be such a good idea (based on my goals obviously). I'm going to go with your suggestion and keep a store of protein powder in my car, at work, and at home.

The last thing I want to do right now is add useless calories. In addition, I could probably save alot of $$$ by buying whey.
    actually you are correct. a good 5 lb jug of whey will last longer and cost similiar to say a 12 pack of "decent" bars. another thing, you may want to reconsider your weight training just twice a week. This may actually hinder your progress. It is ok to be cardio focused, but you gotta remember you are really only burning calories w/ cardio while doing cardio, where as weight training is pretty much a 24 hour kinda of thing. plus over doing cardio may leave your body in a catabolic state, thus eating away at your lean muscle tissue as well. just a few things to keep in mind. remember, weight should ot be your key here, its body composition you should be thinking about. good luck tho.

actually you are correct. a good 5 lb jug of whey will last longer and cost similiar to say a 12 pack of "decent" bars. another thing, you may want to reconsider your weight training just twice a week. This may actually hinder your progress. It is ok to be cardio focused, but you gotta remember you are really only burning calories w/ cardio while doing cardio, where as weight training is pretty much a 24 hour kinda of thing. plus over doing cardio may leave your body in a catabolic state, thus eating away at your lean muscle tissue as well. just a few things to keep in mind. remember, weight should ot be your key here, its body composition you should be thinking about. good luck tho.
    Well, I consider myself in pretty good shape. My goal is to lose the small tire I have around my belly. I have decent muscle mass, since I've been training for a long time, and also work part time as a personal trainer. I'm 5'10, 180lbs. I figure if I drop down to the 170 - 175 pound range, I'll be really lean with abs. From there, I can easily put on lean muscle. My body can put on muscle pretty quickly.

As funny as this may sound, I might even hit my goal in week 2 or 3 (of my 6 week program), since my body adapts quickly. However, I want to get into the habit of doing cardio and eating well. My weakness has been neglecting cardio, and overindulging on food. My plan is to create a new habit (doing cardio consistently + good eating habits) and build from there. I'm going to follow this program until I lose that fat and get used to these new habits. Once I lose that fat, then I'm going to go on a muscle building program. I've been training using a 4/5 day weight training program (changing the program periodically) for close to 5 years, but I haven't been able to get my waist size down to where I want it. I'm not far at all, we're talking about 2 inches off my waist.

At this point, if I lose a little bit of muscle mass, so be it. I want those abs! By eating sufficient protein, and doing upper body/lower body workouts every week, I should be ok.
    -------

5'10", 195 pounds

By the way, I forgot to comment on body composition. I totally agree with you. I'm referencing weight here as a point of reference, so I can communicate my goals. My weight will likely go down. I was at this point once in my life, but wasn't able to maintain it. I was between 170 and 175 pounds, when I was there.

My real assessment will be based on how I look in the mirror. :-) The mirror doesn't lie!

In any case, I'm going to try this program for the upcoming weeks. If I'm not hitting my goals, I may add more weight training. I'm sick and tired of not having those abs that everyone dies for. I want to hit my goal. The tools that I use to hit the goals, can change, as long as I get there.

Thanks for your feedback. It is appreciated. You actually convinced me not to buy a big box of bars.
    -------

5'10", 195 pounds

By the way, I forgot to comment on body composition. I totally agree with you. I'm referencing weight here as a point of reference, so I can communicate my goals. My weight will likely go down. I was at this point once in my life, but wasn't able to maintain it. I was between 170 and 175 pounds, when I was there.

My real assessment will be based on how I look in the mirror. :-) The mirror doesn't lie!

In any case, I'm going to try this program for the upcoming weeks. If I'm not hitting my goals, I may add more weight training. I'm sick and tired of not having those abs that everyone dies for. I want to hit my goal. The tools that I use to hit the goals, can change, as long as I get there.

Thanks for your feedback. It is appreciated. You actually convinced me not to buy a big box of bars.
    glad to hear it bro. good luck in reaching those goals. remember, diet is by far the most important thing to changing body composition. keep us posted on your progress.

Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Serynu will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I bought a box of Snikers new protein bars they had something like 360 calories, 20g protien per bar. I never tried them because I didn't realize that a box of 6 cost me 10 bucks so I took them back.

I bet they would have been good. I figured for that kind of money I can get a tub of protein mix that would last me 2 weeks instead of 6 days.

KnockaroundGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KnockaroundGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KnockaroundGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KnockaroundGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KnockaroundGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KnockaroundGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KnockaroundGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KnockaroundGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KnockaroundGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KnockaroundGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KnockaroundGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Rage (SoCal)
    I know it is a little out of your calorie range but lately I have frallen in love with these new Met-Rx 100 Bars. They are chocalate chip and taste damn good. They have something like 32 grams of protein in them and butt load of vitamins and such. They are around 360 calories but only have 4 grams of fat or so and like 2.5g saturated fats. Compared to other bars as far as taste and nutritional value go, I really prefer this new bar.

It is very hard to find a good tasting bar that has a good amount of protein in it and that low in calories. Goo dluck.
    ADD IN THE 26 GRAMS OR MORE OF SUGAR AND THERE'S THE ANSWER AS TO WHY IT TASTES SO GOOD.
    TRAININ AND MAINTAININ

5'9

Current lifts
    Bench press
    Incline 315 X 1
    Flat bench 330X1

Deadlift
    work in progress

squat
    415 X 1
    work in progress...

How much can you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight?

Rage (SoCal) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rage (SoCal) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rage (SoCal) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rage (SoCal) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rage (SoCal) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rage (SoCal) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rage (SoCal) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rage (SoCal) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rage (SoCal) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rage (SoCal) has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rage (SoCal) has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by KnockaroundGuy
    ADD IN THE 26 GRAMS OR MORE OF SUGAR AND THERE'S THE ANSWER AS TO WHY IT TASTES SO GOOD.
    :-D

Hehehe well I guess that has something to do with it. But they are delicious and should be OK as long as you burn off that sugar *shrug*
    The World is Filled with Dumb People. Unfortunately, a lot of them want to lift weights.

Originally Posted by Rage (SoCal)
    :-D

Hehehe well I guess that has something to do with it. But they are delicious and should be OK as long as you burn off that sugar *shrug*
    lol, used to rock those 100g bars too back a few years, before realized the sugar content. damn tasty. chocolate chip cookie dough and peanut butter cookie dough were both damn good. add a glass a milk and damn

Mister_A is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mister_A is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mister_A is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mister_A is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mister_A is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mister_A is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mister_A is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mister_A is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mister_A is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mister_A is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mister_A is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Small Pure Protein Bars
    190 cals
    20 protein
    3 net carbs

My new favorite bar is the Next Detour Low Sugar Caramel Peanut
    340 cals
    30 protein
    5 net carbs

And I got 2 boxes for $20 each from GNC. Normally $3/bar.
    Last edited by Scheizekopf; 07-06-2005 at 02:49 PM.
    Scheizekopf

Originally Posted by Scheizekopf
    Small Pure Protein Bars
    190 cals
    20 protein
    3 net carbs

My new favorite bar is the Next Detour Low Sugar Caramel Peanut
    340 cals
    30 protein
    5 net carbs

And I got 2 boxes for $20 each from GNC. Normally $3/bar.
    the detour bars.....
    thats 120 cal from protein (30g) and 220 calories from.......?

Mister_A is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mister_A is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mister_A is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mister_A is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mister_A is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mister_A is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mister_A is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mister_A is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mister_A is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mister_A is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mister_A is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    the detour bars.....
    thats 120 cal from protein (30g) and 220 calories from.......?
    Calories.........340
    Cals from fat..90
    Total Fat.......10
    Sat Fat.........6
    Trans Fat.......0
    Cholesterol.....10
    Sodium..........480
    Potassium......270
    Total Carbs....33
    Fiber.............4
    Sugar............5
    Sugar Alcohol..24
    Protein..........30
    Scheizekopf

Calories.........340
    Cals from fat..90
    Total Fat.......10
    Sat Fat.........6
    Trans Fat.......0
    Cholesterol.....10
    Sodium..........480
    Potassium......270
    Total Carbs....33
    Fiber.............4
    Sugar............5
    Sugar Alcohol..24
    Protein..........30
    lol, was just making a point that majority of your cals in that bar are coming from crap and your way better off w/ a good shake.

Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If im dieting and am hungry i will usually buy

a)beef jerky
    b)yogurt
    c)skim milk

All of these things cost less than protein bars and taste better.

Either that or i'll pop some nicotine gum and or e/c/5-htp. After that my appetite is non existent.
    Don't Support Companies that are suing me!!

Lonny says
    "Supplement your weakness"

lol, was just making a point that majority of your cals in that bar are coming from crap and your way better off w/ a good shake.
    They taste really good though.
    Scheizekopf

They taste really good though.
    haha, if u treat it as a dessert and not a meal, then by all means enjoy bro!

myeviltwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) myeviltwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) myeviltwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) myeviltwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) myeviltwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) myeviltwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) myeviltwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) myeviltwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) myeviltwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) myeviltwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) myeviltwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

It sounds like we have similar body composition (5'10", currently 173). I got a little carried away in my abs pursuit and went from 180 to about 162 in just about a month but unfortunately started losing muscle instead of just fat (abs were great for the first time in years though). To accomplish this I actually stopped eating the bars and switched to the lower caloried shakes as mentioned above. I think adding the cardio as you indicated is very important to accelerate your results.

Originally Posted by myeviltwin
    It sounds like we have similar body composition (5'10", currently 173). I got a little carried away in my abs pursuit and went from 180 to about 162 in just about a month but unfortunately started losing muscle instead of just fat (abs were great for the first time in years though). To accomplish this I actually stopped eating the bars and switched to the lower caloried shakes as mentioned above. I think adding the cardio as you indicated is very important to accelerate your results.
    Good point. I'll have to be careful. I've already started to notice that I'm losing a little bit of muscle mass. However, getting lean is the priority right now. If I notice I'm going down too much, I'll revisit my strategy. I might decide to change my program if I lose weight too quick. I'll see in 2 weeks.

In regards to the bars, I think the majority of them have too much sugar, which sucks.

So, out of curiousity, once you got to 162... What kind of program (training and diet) did you use to get back up into the 170s?
    -------

5'10", 195 pounds

pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    protein bars - opinion
    My opinion: Avoid protein bars.

Whey Protein shakes are far superior and MUCH, MUCH cheaper.
    Free agent
    Research and Development Consultant
    11+ Years Experience

Cool. I think I'm going to stay away from bars. :-)
    -------

5'10", 195 pounds

myeviltwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) myeviltwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) myeviltwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) myeviltwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) myeviltwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) myeviltwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) myeviltwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) myeviltwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) myeviltwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) myeviltwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) myeviltwin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good point. I'll have to be careful. I've already started to notice that I'm losing a little bit of muscle mass. However, getting lean is the priority right now. If I notice I'm going down too much, I'll revisit my strategy. I might decide to change my program if I lose weight too quick. I'll see in 2 weeks.

In regards to the bars, I think the majority of them have too much sugar, which sucks.

So, out of curiousity, once you got to 162... What kind of program (training and diet) did you use to get back up into the 170s?
    To regain some of what I lost I dropped cardio and started lifting 5 days a week instead of 3 to 4. I also switched my supplementation to Nitrix, SuperPump250, and then cycled between CE2 and Cre-Ethyl Thunder. During the cut I was supplementing with CEX (which was useless to me) and Ripped Fuel. I think I'm keeping my body fat where I can have the abs back in about 7 to 10 days but hesitate because I'm fearful of dropping too much muscle. Let me know if you find a good combination for you.

Originally Posted by myeviltwin
    To regain some of what I lost I dropped cardio and started lifting 5 days a week instead of 3 to 4. I also switched my supplementation to Nitrix, SuperPump250, and then cycled between CE2 and Cre-Ethyl Thunder. During the cut I was supplementing with CEX (which was useless to me) and Ripped Fuel. I think I'm keeping my body fat where I can have the abs back in about 7 to 10 days but hesitate because I'm fearful of dropping too much muscle. Let me know if you find a good combination for you.
    Interesting. My program is coming along well. Let's just say t-shirts are fitting well and I feel fly. In any case, I'm going to monitor my progress closely. I finish week 1 this week. Having a visible 6 pack all year round is not a priority. I just want to be lean around the stomach. I prefer good muscle mass. Once I get down to the range I've projected, I'll build myself back up to ~ 180 (lean mass only). I will keep you posted. Thanks for the feedback.
    -------

5'10", 195 pounds