Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Starting MMA Classes NOW! shivastorm's Avatar
    shivastorm is on a distinguished road. (+10) shivastorm is on a distinguished road. (+10) shivastorm is on a distinguished road. (+10) shivastorm is on a distinguished road. (+10) shivastorm is on a distinguished road. (+10) shivastorm is on a distinguished road. (+10) shivastorm is on a distinguished road. (+10) shivastorm is on a distinguished road. (+10) shivastorm is on a distinguished road. (+10) shivastorm is on a distinguished road. (+10) shivastorm is on a distinguished road. (+10)

November 16, 2007: Fran

I got a horrible time on this one, but I don't really mind since thruster and chin-ups are two of my weakness... Last time I maxed for chins I barely did 9-10, and as for thrusters at 95lbs, I can hardly do 5-6 before being exhausted. At least I didn't give up or didn't scale.

Three rounds, 21-15- and 9 reps, for time of:
    95 pound Thruster
    Pull-ups

time: 21:12 minutes (2112, an amazing song by Rush )
    Crossfit. "Your workout is our warmup" Does this make you skeptical? Try Linda or Tabata Something Else and you will see why I said that.

Workout journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5233853

KingofMinot has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KingofMinot has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KingofMinot has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KingofMinot has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KingofMinot has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KingofMinot has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by shivastorm View Post
    I got a horrible time on this one, but I don't really mind since thruster and chin-ups are two of my weakness... Last time I maxed for chins I barely did 9-10, and as for thrusters at 95lbs, I can hardly do 5-6 before being exhausted. At least I didn't give up or didn't scale.

95 pound Thruster
    Pull-ups

Bro you aren't the only one who had a bad time. I couldn't even complete the pullups in sets of 5. This had me so winded and tired last night I had to punish myself and do 50 thrusters after the wod with 65lbs on the bar. I should of scaled to 65lbs. This WOD last night humbled me. I'm not going to do Michael today Run 800meters 50backextensions 50situps 3 rds. I think I'm just going to

go to the gym and do Lynne Bodyweight Bench and Pullups 5 max rep rounds.
    My staple Supplements:
    1.Orange Triad
    2.Fish Oil

Zone Diet 40carbs/30protein/30fat+Crossfit=300apft

Crossfit is the single greatest workout program I have ever used you never get bored and if you do you can go to GymJones.

shivastorm is on a distinguished road. (+10) shivastorm is on a distinguished road. (+10) shivastorm is on a distinguished road. (+10) shivastorm is on a distinguished road. (+10) shivastorm is on a distinguished road. (+10) shivastorm is on a distinguished road. (+10) shivastorm is on a distinguished road. (+10) shivastorm is on a distinguished road. (+10) shivastorm is on a distinguished road. (+10) shivastorm is on a distinguished road. (+10) shivastorm is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by KingofMinot View Post
    Bro you aren't the only one who had a bad time. I couldn't even complete the pullups in sets of 5. This had me so winded and tired last night I had to punish myself and do 50 thrusters after the wod with 65lbs on the bar. I should of scaled to 65lbs. This WOD last night humbled me. I'm not going to do Michael today Run 800meters 50backextensions 50situps 3 rds. I think I'm just going to

go to the gym and do Lynne Bodyweight Bench and Pullups 5 max rep rounds.
    Same here I won't do it, but only because I want my shin splint to fully heal. It's still hurting somewhat, but only if I walk a lot or go down the stairs. It's definitely leaving, but I don't want it to worsen through running (especially since I'll have to run fast on Michael)
    Crossfit. "Your workout is our warmup" Does this make you skeptical? Try Linda or Tabata Something Else and you will see why I said that.

flashstang04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flashstang04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

95 pound Thruster
    Pull-ups

New PR for me on this one...7 minutes!!

Filthy fifties tomorrow! Its gonna be rough, the burpees kill me.....

btw, I started crossfit August 25 (havent missed a WOD yet), and I have gained 6 lean pounds.....
    5'9
    182 lbs
    12% BF
    30 years old

"Illegal aliens have always been a problem in America...ask any indian."

Originally Posted by flashstang04 View Post
    New PR for me on this one...7 minutes!!

Filthy fifties tomorrow! Its gonna be rough, the burpees kill me.....

btw, I started crossfit August 25 (havent missed a WOD yet), and I have gained 6 lean pounds.....
    hey good job on the PR and on the gains! I've actually been losing some fat hahah. Right now I am currently reading about The Zone, and I think I will shortly begin to apply more and more principles until I fully convert to this diet.

And yes today's WOD does look intense as hell, I can't wait

Sunday November 18

This workout... Wow... It was hell. Another kind of Linda IMO. Not as physical as Linda, but extremely demanding cardio-wise. So much to say about this WOD. Box jumps = easy, barely any leg pain. Jumping pull-ups = quite hard once I reached the 30 reps, but not so hard nonetheless. DB Swings = easy as hell. Walking Lunges = cardio-wise was easy, yet it brutally murdered my legs. Knee to elbow = That was hard as hell and it's what took me the longest, along with burpees. I had such a hard time brining my nkees to my elbows -_-. Thursters and Push-Press = brutal for my shoulders, and thrusters also for my legs. Back extensions = easy as hell. Burpess = I was dead, my shoulders were dead, each burpee was sending a shocking pain in my right shoulder, so me and my friend stopped at 25 (he just couldn't even do them right). Finally, Tuck Jumps were easy, and not too painful for the legs. Overall very demanding, yet fun workout. five stars

For time:
    50 Box jump, 24 inch box
    50 Jumping pull-ups
    50 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood (subbed for 35lbs DB Swing)
    Walking Lunge, 50 steps
    50 Knees to elbows
    50 Push press, 45 pounds
    50 Back extensions
    50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball (subbed for 40lbs Thrusters)
    50 Burpees (scaled to 25, my shoulders were simply too painful)
    50 Double unders (subbed for tuck jumps)

Time: 39:40

KingofMinot has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KingofMinot has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KingofMinot has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KingofMinot has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KingofMinot has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KingofMinot has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    This workout... Wow... It was hell. Another kind of Linda IMO. Not as physical as Linda, but extremely demanding cardio-wise. So much to say about this WOD. Box jumps = easy, barely any leg pain. Jumping pull-ups = quite hard once I reached the 30 reps, but not so hard nonetheless. DB Swings = easy as hell. Walking Lunges = cardio-wise was easy, yet it brutally murdered my legs. Knee to elbow = That was hard as hell and it's what took me the longest, along with burpees. I had such a hard time brining my nkees to my elbows -_-. Thursters and Push-Press = brutal for my shoulders, and thrusters also for my legs. Back extensions = easy as hell. Burpess = I was dead, my shoulders were dead, each burpee was sending a shocking pain in my right shoulder, so me and my friend stopped at 25 (he just couldn't even do them right). Finally, Tuck Jumps were easy, and not too painful for the legs. Overall very demanding, yet fun workout. five stars

For time:
    50 Box jump, 24 inch box
    50 Jumping pull-ups
    50 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood (subbed for 35lbs DB Swing)
    Walking Lunge, 50 steps
    50 Knees to elbows
    50 Push press, 45 pounds
    50 Back extensions
    50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball (subbed for 40lbs Thrusters)
    50 Burpees (scaled to 25, my shoulders were simply too painful)
    50 Double unders (subbed for tuck jumps)

Time: 39:40

Bro you did way better then me I had to do alot of subs though.

Filthy 50
    For time:
    100 STEP UPS ON BENCH
    35 Jumping pull-ups
    50 Dumbell swings, 45lbs
    Walking Lunge, 50 steps (25 then turned around)
    50 Knees to elbows (5sets of 10)
    50 Push press, 45 pounds (2 SETS 25)
    50 Back extensions (2SETS 25)
    50 Wall ball shots, 12 pound ball (On racquetball)
    35 Burpees
    100 Step ups on Bench
    50 OH Lunge with 25lbs DB
    25 OH Lunge with 30lb DB
    35 Squat Jump with bar 95lbs

Overall it took me 45 minutes to complete this

Tommorow is an off day what are you going to do? I ended upt aking yesterday off and I try to do 3 on and 1 off so I have to go the next 2 days meaning I have to pick my own workout problem is usually when I do that it seems like the crossfit people pick the same WOD that I did. I think the main reason I really like crossfit is because the workouts change and are random instead of leg day or back and tricep day. Why do you like crossfit?
    Last edited by KingofMinot; 11-18-2007 at 04:10 PM.
    My staple Supplements:
    1.Orange Triad
    2.Fish Oil

Crossfit is the single greatest workout program I have ever used you never get bored and if you do you can go to GymJones.

Tommorow is an off day what are you going to do? I ended upt aking yesterday off and I try to do 3 on and 1 off so I have to go the next 2 days meaning I have to pick my own workout problem is usually when I do that it seems like the crossfit people pick the same WOD that I did. I think the main reason I really like crossfit is because the workouts change and are random instead of leg day or back and tricep day. Why do you like crossfit?
    Still a good time by the way. As for tomorrow, I shall SLEEP! I only had 6 hours of sleep last night due to work (had to start at 7) AND school work (had to go to bed at 12pm) so I really need to rest, I'll nap in the afternoon (waking at 6:30 tomorrow for school -_-) As for the reason why I like crossfit, simple, variety. Routine is my enemy. And also I like challenges. A lot. And almost every workout is a challenge

flashstang04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flashstang04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Unfortunately I had to bump filthy fifties to Monday, so no rest for me!
    5'9
    182 lbs
    12% BF
    30 years old

Bleh from one injury to another -_- Shin splint is healed, but now I believe I pulled my right RC, probably during Fran workout and I made it worse yesterday

bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Bleh from one injury to another -_- Shin splint is healed, but now I believe I pulled my right RC, probably during Fran workout and I made it worse yesterday
    Ouch, what happened?
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166936131

Originally Posted by bango skank View Post
    Ouch, what happened?
    I don't know how it began, but yesterday both my shoulders were painful, but I thought they were just sore. However as I progressed through the workout, the pain on the left shoulder faded away, while the one on the right became more sharp, and it start being really painful when I was doing burpees (that's why I scaled them).

You wouldn't know any way to strengthen my RC so it doesn't happen again would you? (I got weak RC). Or any way to heal it faster.

bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You wouldn't know any way to strengthen my RC so it doesn't happen again would you? (I got weak RC). Or any way to heal it faster.
    Yeah I've also had RC problems (rc weakness, shoulder subluxations/mini dislocations)... but since I started CF they've gone away far as I can tell.

RC rehab thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968

RC strengthening exercises (from easiest on the RC to hardest, FMPE):
    Farmers walks
    Ring training (static holds->dips->push-ups)
    Turkish Getups (kettlebell->dumbbell)
    Supported handstand holds (shoulders shrugged)
    Planche progressions (http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/)
    Overhead Press
    HSPU's
    Close Grip Overhead Squat
    Snatch Grip Overhead Squat

You really want to focus on activating your shoulders during all shoulder exercises, especially pull-ups, overhead pressing, and bench pressing... basically tensing the shoulders (like you would your abs) and holding them, pulling them back and down a little. This will greatly help with stabilizing them. You should be doing this all the time whether you are opening a door or waving goodbye. Be mindful of your shoulders.

For healing take Animal Flex (or glucosamine, chondrotin, and msm) and Cissus.

This book might be helpful too (Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff): http://www.amazon.com/Treat-Your-Own.../dp/1598582062
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

BTW, you have some updates in your thread: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...962#post217962
    -Don Vito Corleone

Yeah I've also had RC problems (rc weakness, shoulder subluxations/mini dislocations)... but since I started CF they've gone away far as I can tell.

RC rehab thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968

RC strengthening exercises (from easiest on the RC to hardest, FMPEwhat's that stand for?):
    Farmers walks
    Ring training (static holds->dips->push-ups)I don't really get it here...
    Turkish Getups (kettlebell->dumbbell) Does this mean kettlebell are better to use than dumbbells?
    Supported handstand holds (shoulders shrugged)
    Planche progressions (http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/)
    Overhead Press
    HSPU's
    Close Grip Overhead Squat
    Snatch Grip Overhead Squat
    Also do you suggest I do each exercise in order, starting with the first one, until I get no discomfort in my RC and then move up to the next exercise?

You really want to focus on activating your shoulders during all shoulder exercises, especially pull-ups, overhead pressing, and bench pressing... basically tensing the shoulders (like you would your abs) and holding them, pulling them back and down a little. This will greatly help with stabilizing them. You should be doing this all the time whether you are opening a door or waving goodbye. Be mindful of your shoulders.
    Ok here I am just a little confused. Basically what this means is every time my shoulders are used, I should flex them (in tension)?

For healing take Animal Flex (or glucosamine, chondrotin, and msm) and Cissus.

This book might be helpful too (Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff): http://www.amazon.com/Treat-Your-Own.../dp/1598582062
    Ok to me this seems pure gold in written text, yet there are quite a few things I don't understand (the reason for the red questions in your quote).

And yea thanks for pointing out the updates, I shall read them quite soon.

Ok to me this seems pure gold in written text, yet there are quite a few things I don't understand (the reason for the red questions in your quote).

And yea thanks for pointing out the updates, I shall read them quite soon.
    FMPE: from my personal experience

Rings: www.ringtraining.com/store/eliterings.html

TGU's: kettlebells, with the bell pointing down (more stability), are easier to use than dumbbells (less stability) are easier to use than ketllebells with the bell pointing up (little stability).

Yup, basically progress from exercise to exercise as RC strength dictates, but keep rotating them in your warmups.

Yup, always flex your shoulders to stabilize them and keep them engaged. Doing this at all times will also strengthen them, isometrically.
    Last edited by bango skank; 11-20-2007 at 08:34 PM.
    -Don Vito Corleone

Due to my RC, I obviously skipped yesterday's WOD (clean and jerk), and I will also skip today's WOD (Helen) since I am feeling discomfort when doing the DB Swing motion. However, tomorrow, unless it's heavy on shoulders, I will do the WOD, and friday (which will be a day off) I will do today's WOD (Helen) and yesterday's WOD (clean and jerk - I'll only do it if my shoulder is feeling perfectly fine)

Bango: Thanks a lot for the feedback bro, I appreciate it. I'll start working on reinforcements for my RC asao

November 20, 2007

I actually decided to go workout today, and I did yesterday's WOD (I'll be running 1 day late now) and it went pretty well, I got no pain at all. I didn't go excessively heavy though, I didn't want to overdo it. One a sidenote, first time I ever do this exercise

Clean and Jerk 3-3-3-3-3 reps

90-110-130-140-150

PR: 150 However it felt quite easy. I'm positive next time I will do much better.

By the way, a new edit on my current stats:

I now weight 175 lbs, at the same BF% I had back before I started DC (in September) , if not slightly lower than it used to be. As for my strength, last time I tested it, deadlifts were back to where it was before I started Crossfit, Squats were only 10lbs less, as opposed to 20lbs less, and bench press was back at what it used to be.
    Last edited by shivastorm; 11-22-2007 at 05:07 AM.

Well the good news is, my shoulder is fine. Turns out it was probably heavy soreness, not a RC injury. As for my shin splint, the pain is still present, but whatever I'll still do Helen today. I'm aiming for under 12 minutes

November 21, 2007

Very fun workout to do, quick and efficient. I think my time is quite good as well Not what I wanted to do, but 12 minutes was quite unrealistic -_- maybe next time!

"Helen"

Three rounds for time:
    Run 400 meters
    55 pound dumbbell swing
    12 Pull-ups

time: 14:28

Good Job Bro I'm a few days behind and the gym doesn't open until Saturday so I took Thursday and Friday off. I also took Wed. off because we did a 6 mile run with flak vest on and I was extra sore.
    My staple Supplements:
    1.Orange Triad
    2.Fish Oil

Well the good news is, my shoulder is fine. Turns out it was probably heavy soreness, not a RC injury. As for my shin splint, the pain is still present, but whatever I'll still do Helen today. I'm aiming for under 12 minutes
    that's great news. RC injuries are agonizingly slow to recover from.

Animal Flex and cissus are still a good idea though, they'll help your shin splints too.
    -Don Vito Corleone

November 24, 2007

Good Job Bro I'm a few days behind and the gym doesn't open until Saturday so I took Thursday and Friday off. I also took Wed. off because we did a 6 mile run with flak vest on and I was extra sore.
    Thanks, and best of luck to you for the oncoming WODs

that's great news. RC injuries are agonizingly slow to recover from.

Animal Flex and cissus are still a good idea though, they'll help your shin splints too.
    Yea I was quite happy when I woke up, and I was thinking of getting animal flex, it could be worth it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ok so I skipped the muscle up WOD and today I'm going to do Nancy. I'll do her my way though. Since I only did overhead squats once in my life, and when I reached 95lbs, after 4 reps, I fell down, I'll simply practice my technique today, and also practice my clean technique, and then I will run 2km like we should according to the WOD. I will also do weighted dips and PU to compensate for me skipping the muscle-up WOD (I hope I won't regret it tomorrow...)

November 25, 2007

Today, like yesterday, I didn't do the WOD, simply because I wanted to practice my cleans. I did about 45 minutes of cleans non stop, ranging from 50lbs to 140lbs, and now I think I've got the form quite well. Right after that, I did around 90 dips and then played a game of squash, so it was still a rough time at the gym.

November 26, 2007

Nothing much to say here, I got a new PR, even though I gained 15lbs since last time I maxed my PU

Weighted pull-ups 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps

+45, +70, +75, +80, +85 (failed), +80, +75

New PR: +80 @ 175lbs
    Old PR: + 75 @ 160lbs

Gratz on the PR, I stopped at 90# (2 45s). I like wk outs like these, it just seems like I need to do more by the time it's over lol, so I ended with a set of L pullups.
    5'9
    182 lbs
    12% BF
    30 years old

Well my squat is still down by a little and my military press is the same, but my deadlift went up by a decent amount (it went down to 325 last time I tried it about 2 weeks ago I think)

"CrossFit Total"

Back squat, 1 rep
    Shoulder Press, 1 rep
    Deadlift, 1 rep

Back Squat: 260 (old pr: 270)
    Shoulder Press: 135 (old pr: 135)
    Deadlift: 345 (old pr: 330)

CF Total: 740
    Last edited by shivastorm; 11-28-2007 at 02:35 PM.

29 November 2007

Nothing amazing here, but I am quite proud of that time since I've always sucked at running. Heck before Crossfit I could hardly do 3km.

Run 5 K

Time: 25:05

Can't wait to do today's WOD! I want to see how I've improved.

November 30, 2007

Didn't have time to do it yesterday so I did it today instead. I increased quite a lot at this

With a continuously running clock do one pull-up the first minute, two pull-ups the second minute, three pull-ups the third minute... continuing as long as you are able.

Use as many sets each minute as needed.

Number of rounds this time: 9 (+3 reps on the tenth round)
    Number of rounds last time: 6

Not bad at all