Starlovin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Newb protein question

I'm kinda confused with the whole protein intake. My goal is to lose some body fat and hopefully bulk up a little. My main priority though is to lose that spare tire I've acquired over the last few years. So I've started doing 30 minutes of cardio each morning 5-6 times a week. As well, I do some moderate weight training 4-5 times a week. I'm trying work out a good diet plan but I need clarification on the whole nutrition ratio thing. I've calculated that my bmr is about 2400 calories a day so I'm trying to consume about 1800-1900 calories a day. A friend of mine told me about the 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. That means at 1800 calories, I'd need 135 grams of protein a day. But what I'm mostly reading online is that I need roughly 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight which means that I need 167 grams of protein a day. So which one is it? How much protein do I need a day?

I'm 31, 5'9", 167lbs.

trainerclark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trainerclark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trainerclark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trainerclark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trainerclark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trainerclark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trainerclark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trainerclark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trainerclark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trainerclark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trainerclark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You are trying to cut up bro. not become a professional bodybuilder. Consuming 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight will not give you better results. Your friends recommendation is good enough, there is no perfect ratio, dont be afraid to go under or over the percent of each if its in that range its good. You probably wont need more than 1gm per kg of bodyweight which is about 75g, since you moderately weight lift. But protein is the most thermogenic macronutient so consuming about 30% of your calories from it will bring up your metabolism more than only 75g would.
    "In your own mind"

jaymed is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaymed is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaymed is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaymed is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaymed is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaymed is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaymed is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaymed is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaymed is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaymed is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaymed is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Starlovin View Post
    I'm kinda confused with the whole protein intake. My goal is to lose some body fat and hopefully bulk up a little. My main priority though is to lose that spare tire I've acquired over the last few years. So I've started doing 30 minutes of cardio each morning 5-6 times a week. As well, I do some moderate weight training 4-5 times a week. I'm trying work out a good diet plan but I need clarification on the whole nutrition ratio thing. I've calculated that my bmr is about 2400 calories a day so I'm trying to consume about 1800-1900 calories a day. A friend of mine told me about the 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. That means at 1800 calories, I'd need 135 grams of protein a day. But what I'm mostly reading online is that I need roughly 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight which means that I need 167 grams of protein a day. So which one is it? How much protein do I need a day?

I'm 31, 5'9", 167lbs.
    If you are new to working out and dieting down healthy, then you probably need to try out some different options. The one fact that I think you absolutely need to stick with is getting in at least 1g protein per body weight. I feel like the protein is the main macro to consider when putting together a ratio that works for you. From there, it will depend on your body's response. I've done a 50 pro, 30 carb, 20 fat in the past but I've found that my body doesn't lean out as well with that many carbs. My current diet is 60 pro, 25 fat, 15 carb and most of my carbs are fibrous. The reaction that my body has is vastly superior to the first ratio. Hence my reason for saying try out different options.

SEAman First Class skinnyboipgh's Avatar
    skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Cool Here's something that might help . . .

Run ur stats thru this calaculator:

http://yianni.users.mcs2.netarray.co...WebApp/bmr.jsp

and sea what it says. It's fairly flkexible & takes a lot of factors in2 account.
    Best Regards,

Ed

To the optimist, the glass is half full . . .
    To the pessimist, the glass is half empty . . .
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=336405441#post336405441
    Helpful or encouraging posters in my journal get repped.

blai4754 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blai4754 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1g of protein per kg is a good starting point ( i go with 1g per lb) and going over will not hurt. my macro is 50/30/20 on a normal day, 55/25/20 on high carb and 35/45/20 on low carb days. so on a normal day im taking in 150g of protein while on low carbs im taking in 200+.
    May 2007 - 160lbs - 15-16%bf

October 2007 - 145lbs - 10-11%bf

Goal:
    December 31, 2007 - 150lbs - 8%bf

I guess for now I'll continue with the 40-30-30 ratio and see how that works out for me. Thx for everyone's input.

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Starlovin View Post

I'm 31, 5'9", 167lbs.
    u say ur 167 and ur BMR is 2400.. i find that a lil excessive.. and if u want to BULK up a lil bit why are u at a caloric defecit?

regardless take 1g of protein per lb and then manage the rest of ur macros off that..

and i would also back off 5-6 days of cardio while bulking.. that will only prohibit you on top of all ur working out with weights..

my 2 cents

thesly123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesly123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesly123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesly123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesly123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesly123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesly123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesly123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesly123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesly123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesly123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by skinnyboipgh View Post
    Run ur stats thru this calaculator:

http://yianni.users.mcs2.netarray.co...WebApp/bmr.jsp

and sea what it says. It's fairly flkexible & takes a lot of factors in2 account.
    Awesome little calculator tool you got there.. I wish there were just little stupid signs on every peice of food that says "this piece has this many calories"

My priority for now is to lose body fat rather than bulk up hence the caloric deficit. Once I've lost the amount of body fat I'd like to lose then I'll put more focus on bulking.