axekick31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

32 too old to start MMA?

I've been practicing martial arts on and off ofr the last 10 yrs. I've touched upon most of them and have a pretty good base. I was able to handle myself against the top guys in my sambo club with about 5 months training about three years ago. I was just wondering if at 32 yrs old if i got really serious about it....I could fight a legit mma competition? not ufc or anything...just something to test my skill in about a years time. Keep in mind I havent't grappled or sparred in about 3 yrs.
    33yrs old
    5'10"

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    you may well be too old
    but, **** it
    try anyway
    that's what I'm doing

CaGray88 is just really nice. (+1000) CaGray88 is just really nice. (+1000) CaGray88 is just really nice. (+1000) CaGray88 is just really nice. (+1000) CaGray88 is just really nice. (+1000) CaGray88 is just really nice. (+1000) CaGray88 is just really nice. (+1000) CaGray88 is just really nice. (+1000) CaGray88 is just really nice. (+1000) CaGray88 is just really nice. (+1000) CaGray88 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Your never to old. Go for it.

M1911A1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) M1911A1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) M1911A1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) M1911A1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) M1911A1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) M1911A1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) M1911A1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) M1911A1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) M1911A1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) M1911A1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) M1911A1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Give it a shot.
    "A man does what he must-in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures-and that is the basis of all human morality."
    -John F. Kennedy

pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pbradish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by axekick31
    I've been practicing martial arts on and off ofr the last 10 yrs. I've touched upon most of them and have a pretty good base. I was able to handle myself against the top guys in my sambo club with about 5 months training about three years ago. I was just wondering if at 32 yrs old if i got really serious about it....I could fight a legit mma competition? not ufc or anything...just something to test my skill in about a years time. Keep in mind I havent't grappled or sparred in about 3 yrs.
    Yes. The local levels there are always some really great athletes but quite a few cans too. It really depends who you know. I know some who faught their first fight after only a few months of training hard in the right gym, although they are awesome fighters.

I would say just be prepared to spend at least one year training hard and your gym may let you fight, if that is what you still want to do. Just hope you aren't the can they feed to the next rising fighter.

Mr.Sinister has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Sinister has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Sinister has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Sinister has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Sinister has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Sinister has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr.Sinister has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    One of my trainig partners did his first MMA match at the age of 44. He had previously boxed in the Marines and did full contact sparring, but he sais that was back in the mid 70's. He was out a long time and managed to do decent at 44.

Mr.Sinister

not_happening is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_happening is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_happening is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_happening is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_happening is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_happening is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_happening is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_happening is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_happening is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_happening is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_happening is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    32 is not too old. Even if you look at some of the top guys in the UFC, they're in their 30s. Randy Couture is 41 and Chuck Lidell is 35.

nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Absolutely not! I started at 34, and that was training with a bunch of hyper-active Marines. If I can "survive" it, so can you.

swiftpaws has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) swiftpaws has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) swiftpaws has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) swiftpaws has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) swiftpaws has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) swiftpaws has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) swiftpaws has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) swiftpaws has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do you have time? That's the biggest problem with people that want to start training. You can't go to the gym a few days a week and be ready to jump in the ring. At 32 I'm guessing you have a family, mortgage, resposibilities. Most people training MMA are in the early 20's or younger. They have time to spend 7 days a week in the gym training. And become really good fast.

When people ask me about training to be a fighter, I tell them to invest time in education or something they can use the rest of their lives. You can spend 20 hours a week for 2 years in a BJJ or kick boxing club. Paying monthly dues ofcourse. OR...spend 5 hours a week in the evenings in college, obtaining or upgrading a degree. The cost will be about the same of a good martial art school.

Look at it this way. What will you take from 2 years of MM training. You will learn to fight, win or lose a few small matches. Then quit. Taking a knowledge you will more than likely NEVER use again. And your money will have been wasted. If you want to be a fighter, then train to be a fighter or don't waste your time.
    Last edited by swiftpaws; 06-24-2005 at 04:21 PM.

Fuctional Strength Traine Runningbackiler's Avatar
    Runningbackiler is on a distinguished road. (+10) Runningbackiler is on a distinguished road. (+10) Runningbackiler is on a distinguished road. (+10) Runningbackiler is on a distinguished road. (+10) Runningbackiler is on a distinguished road. (+10) Runningbackiler is on a distinguished road. (+10) Runningbackiler is on a distinguished road. (+10) Runningbackiler is on a distinguished road. (+10) Runningbackiler is on a distinguished road. (+10) Runningbackiler is on a distinguished road. (+10) Runningbackiler is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    its never too late
    "I am here to serve all belivers"- Runningbackiler the Fuctional Strength Athlete

Registered User geriatricmuscle's Avatar
    geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) geriatricmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you still bleed it ain't to late. I started Krav Maga at 47. 9 months later I tested for the first belt. After 4 hours of training with only 10 minutes of rest per, we tested. Hardest physical accomplishment for me ever! I got the damn belt! Ok, and a few stitches over my R eye...see if you still bleed...

go for it

gm

TheZenMachine is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheZenMachine is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheZenMachine is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheZenMachine is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheZenMachine is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheZenMachine is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheZenMachine is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheZenMachine is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheZenMachine is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheZenMachine is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheZenMachine is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you base your life around 'what you are going to use later' you might as well do nothing but your job. Do what you want to do.
    What does it take to be number 1?

Jiu-jitsu, wrestling, boxing, Muay Thai

Because 2 is not a winner and 3 no one remembers!

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    What would you say if we said you were too old?

Do you still want to do it?

Do it. Sure, you may not be as good as if you started training ten years ago, but I can guarantee you'll be better than if you start 5 years from now, or never.

sheltonl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Go for it!!! I still play football every weekend. Just one side note. Injuries take a little longer to heal. A jammed finger used to take about a week to heal now it's double/triple that. And that's just a finger, your body will let you know when it's time to hang it up.

sheltonl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ryanbrio711 View Post
    Go for it!!! Never hurt to try....
    LOL . . . that's not true . . . especially for MMA!!!

Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    most of the guys in ufc average around 32 and alot are older. your thing says ur 36 btw

JayDizla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If its something you want to do, go for it.

BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    no.
    Learn how to freelance online @ www.workthai.afarangabroad.com

hazzard623 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hazzard623 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hazzard623 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hazzard623 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hazzard623 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hazzard623 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hazzard623 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hazzard623 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hazzard623 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hazzard623 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hazzard623 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Bignik92 View Post
    most of the guys in ufc average around 32 and alot are older. your thing says ur 36 btw
    thats because this thread was made in 2005 !!!!

kenzo242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kenzo242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kenzo242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kenzo242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kenzo242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kenzo242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kenzo242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kenzo242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kenzo242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kenzo242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kenzo242 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by axekick31 View Post

It's never too late bro. MAke sure your conditioning is top notch. You've got at least 5-7 good years left to compete if you train and eat right.
    http://www.MMAFitnessandTraining.com

http://www.esp-xc.com

Rgibsoniv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Give it a shot, whats the worst thing that could happen?

rugby-04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugby-04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugby-04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugby-04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugby-04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugby-04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugby-04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugby-04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugby-04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugby-04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When I did mma, my instructor (who also regularly fought in pro/semi pro fights) was 42.

Go for it

TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000)
    Guys this thread was started in 2005.
    "Giving your best is more important than being the best."

I train as an athlete, not a bodybuilder.

REPS for SUBS.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125690683

bigvick25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigvick25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigvick25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigvick25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigvick25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigvick25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigvick25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigvick25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigvick25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigvick25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im 31 y/o (turn 32 in Oct) and Im strongly considering this... Ive never trained in MMA, or any Martial Arts, but I did grow up with 3 brothers and we wrestled/faught all the time. So I know I can take a punch and I can graple a bit, but nothing professional. But one of our local training centers has some of the best fighters in the area. Im really wanting to try it out. =)

iammeok is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Regrets

Did you try ?

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by iammeok View Post
    Did you try ?
    that was 14 years ago idiot.