NewBeginning86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Barbell Bent-over Row vs. Single-arm Dumbell Row on a Bench

Is there a difference between the two in muscle development?

Second, I noticed two differences when people perform bent over row exercises. Some do rows in a more upright position (about 45 degrees) and others do it so they are slightly above paralel to the floor (just enough to to maintain a back arch). What is the difference between these two positions?

Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000)
    parallel to floor = emphasis on lats
    45 degrees = rear delts, traps, etc.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by NewBeginning86

Is there a difference between the two in muscle development?

Second, I noticed two differences when people perform bent over row exercises. Some do rows in a more upright position (about 45 degrees) and others do it so they are slightly above paralel to the floor (just enough to to maintain a back arch). What is the difference between these two positions?
    The main difference is one-arm DB rows will work each side in isolation which is really beneficial if one side is slightly bigger than the other. The only downside is they take twice as long to do unless you do them with two dumbbells without a bench for support.

I've been doing "incline dumbbell rows" lately and they're a mix of the two. You lean on an incline bench set around 30-45 deg. and row with the dumbbells however you like, palms up, palms down, or hammer position. Not a bad exercise for something different or if you're running short on time and still want to isolate each side.

NewBeginning86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    I've been doing "incline dumbbell rows" lately and they're a mix of the two. You lean on an incline bench set around 30-45 deg. and row with the dumbbells however you like, palms up, palms down, or hammer position. Not a bad exercise for something different or if you're running short on time and still want to isolate each side.
    I'll give those a try.

the_grudgeflood has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) the_grudgeflood has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) the_grudgeflood has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) the_grudgeflood has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) the_grudgeflood has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) the_grudgeflood has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) the_grudgeflood has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) the_grudgeflood has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) the_grudgeflood has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) the_grudgeflood has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) the_grudgeflood has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    the one-arm row you have to use alot of energy to train both sides of the body

barbell row is better in my opinion,
    you can use more weight as well
    It's not enough. I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive

bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what i like to do is 2 arm dumbell rows.
    Stats
    Bench: 225
    Safety Squat: 430*10 ~ 550
    Power Clean:225
    Push Press: 205
    Body Weight: ~220
    Height: 6' 2"

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    problem with 1-arm db is that as you get heavier and heavier you cheat more and more (twisting) w/o even realizing it. bb , or 2arm db, is better.
    <->

Nibblesworth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nibblesworth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nibblesworth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nibblesworth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nibblesworth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nibblesworth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nibblesworth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nibblesworth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nibblesworth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nibblesworth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nibblesworth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Don't bent over rows also strenghthen low-back muscles? With one handed rows, you are supporting your self with your free hand on a bench, whereas with bent-over rows only your low back is supporting yourself.

From what I know, bent-over rows help with core strenght, whereas one-handed simply isolates lats.

Am I right, or am I completely off base here?

failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Nibblesworth
    Don't bent over rows also strenghthen low-back muscles? With one handed rows, you are supporting your self with your free hand on a bench, whereas with bent-over rows only your low back is supporting yourself.

From what I know, bent-over rows help with core strenght, whereas one-handed simply isolates lats.

You are absolutly right i always get a nice burn in my lower aswell as in the upper after barbell rows so thats proof for me

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Nibblesworth

You're right, that's why bent-over rows are the king of row exercises in my opinion, but there are advantages to isolating one side at a time with one-arm dumbbell rows, whether you use a bench for support or not, like to balance out asymmetry in the lats.

And some people with lower back problems who are mainly interested in working their upper back would be better off doing them with some kind of support (seated rows, T-bar machine, etc.)

But assuming everything is fine, there's no question it should be one of the main back exercises in a routine. It's my favorite back exercise along with close-grip chins.

John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John Fenwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Barbells everytime, to use that amount of energy one one arm rows is not worth it IMO and as somebody has stated the heavier the weights get you tend to cheat on the form.
    2nd place is the 1st loser.

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    i find dumbell rows seemed to have made my lats come alive, when barbells rows didnt...
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511