OteMeelEgWite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

woke up with unexplained shoulder pain...help!?

the other day i went to bed with no problems, pain or soreness. i woke up the next morning with pain in my middle/front delt. it doesnt hurt when im relaxed but i experience sharp pain when i raise my arm in front of me or out to the side.
    the day before i did chest, shoulders and tris but it went smoothly and i have no reason to beleive i injured it while at the gym. it hasnt gotten any better over the past three days.

this is not the first time this has happened but i always just thought i slept on my arm wrong or something. this time it seems to hurt more and has lasted longer.

has any one else ever woke up with shoulder pain like this?
    is it a sign of rotator cuff injury?
    did i just sleep on my arm wrong?
    seriously...WTF?

RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Does it hurt to bench but not hurt to work out your back or anything else?

Forever cutting..... Blake Austin's Avatar
    Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000)
    It happened to me a couple of weeks ago, OP, in my right shoulder. Still hurts. I took four days off from lifting, come back on a Tuesday, do one warm up set on the decline BB press and WHAM the barbell just crashed right down into my chest, as my shoulder just gave out.

I can't do any bench pressing or shoulder presses, dips or push ups!! When I do back/arms/shoulder exercises besides presses, I'm fine. So I have no idea what the problem is. Driving me nuts!
    ~I'm an egomaniac with a inferiority complex...

~I love this crazy, tragic, sometimes almost magic,
    awful, beautiful life.........

finley_matt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) finley_matt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) finley_matt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) finley_matt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) finley_matt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hmmm... sounds like a strain - take a week off and start back with some RC band work.

A Lion, not a Sheep ChokeOnStrength's Avatar
    ChokeOnStrength is just really nice. (+1000) ChokeOnStrength is just really nice. (+1000) ChokeOnStrength is just really nice. (+1000) ChokeOnStrength is just really nice. (+1000) ChokeOnStrength is just really nice. (+1000) ChokeOnStrength is just really nice. (+1000) ChokeOnStrength is just really nice. (+1000) ChokeOnStrength is just really nice. (+1000) ChokeOnStrength is just really nice. (+1000) ChokeOnStrength is just really nice. (+1000) ChokeOnStrength is just really nice. (+1000)
    Do you sleep with pressure on your shoulders? Do you sleep on your arms?
    'Lift till you see god"

Working with Layne Norton

PICP Level 1 Certified Coach
    PICP Level 2 Certified Coach

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1567461
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=101664301&posted=1#post101664301
    - CoS is Back -
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=111156421

Originally Posted by RyanGrob View Post
    Does it hurt to bench but not hurt to work out your back or anything else?
    i havny really done much since it happened. from what im feeling now i would imagine pushing exercises would hurt more then pulling.

Originally Posted by ChokeOnStrength View Post
    Do you sleep with pressure on your shoulders? Do you sleep on your arms?
    after the pain started i was sleeeping on my stomach with my arms tucked above my head so i wouldnt sleep on top of one. i recently read that is a bad way to sleep if you have RC problems.
    who knows what other positions im in throughout the night. i would imagine the best way to sleep would be in my back.

gethuger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gethuger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gethuger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gethuger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gethuger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gethuger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gethuger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gethuger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    sometimes that happenes to me. i always thought it was from sleeping on it wrong but i wonder if it is also casued by having imbalanced deltoid muscles?
    it has always gone away after about a day or two in my case.

RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Blake Austin View Post
    It happened to me a couple of weeks ago, OP, in my right shoulder. Still hurts. I took four days off from lifting, come back on a Tuesday, do one warm up set on the decline BB press and WHAM the barbell just crashed right down into my chest, as my shoulder just gave out.

I can't do any bench pressing or shoulder presses, dips or push ups!! When I do back/arms/shoulder exercises besides presses, I'm fine. So I have no idea what the problem is. Driving me nuts!
    Sounds like what I have. Try this. Between your front delt and your shoulder joint lies your bicep tendon. It fits in a little grove that is in the joint. Take your hand and push in that area between your front delt and shoulder joint. You will know where I'm talking about. Don't push TOO hard, but definitely put some pressure in there. If you don't feel pain, try moving around as you may not be in the right spot. After you are done with your bad shoulder, if you find pain, try the same spot on your good shoulder.

Take your hand and push in that area between your front delt and shoulder joint.
    are you talking about where the front delt and bicep come together???

Originally Posted by OteMeelEgWite View Post
    are you talking about where the front delt and bicep come together???
    Yes. Around that region. Basically, push down into your front delt close to your joint socket. I'm not responsible if you screw yourself up further What you should feel on your bad shoulder is a sharp pain when you push in, then it dulls off after you stop. When you do it on your good shoulder, nothing should hurt.

Yes. Around that region. Basically, push down into your front delt close to your joint socket. I'm not responsible if you screw yourself up further What you should feel on your bad shoulder is a sharp pain when you push in, then it dulls off after you stop. When you do it on your good shoulder, nothing should hurt.
    no pain for me

ZenBowman has the mod powerz ZenBowman has the mod powerz ZenBowman has the mod powerz ZenBowman has the mod powerz ZenBowman has the mod powerz ZenBowman has the mod powerz ZenBowman has the mod powerz ZenBowman has the mod powerz ZenBowman has the mod powerz ZenBowman has the mod powerz ZenBowman has the mod powerz
    I had this once. Turned out to be bursitis, treatment was rest + ice + NSAIDs (Advil). Was back to normal in a couple weeks.

Get yourself checked up.
    When all that says 'it is good' has been debunked, what says 'I want' remains.

- CS Lewis

no pain for me
    Well, my diagnosis is out the door. Sorry I can't help you any further.

Forever cutting..... Blake Austin's Avatar
    Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000) Blake Austin is just really nice. (+1000)
    no pain for me
    No pain for me, either. It only hurts when I try to press a weight. When I just do the press movement, it's fine. It's almost as if my right should now is extremely, EXTREMELY weak.

RyanGrob, thanks though.
    ~I'm an egomaniac with a inferiority complex...

~I love this crazy, tragic, sometimes almost magic,
    awful, beautiful life.........

Registered User WorkingOnTheDream's Avatar
    WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50) WorkingOnTheDream will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This is what happened to me. Benched with poor form; my arm shoulder was very loose during the day. The next day my shoulder hurt like a MF.

That got better over months, then I hurt it again. Rinse and repeat.

Finally got an arthogram done and turns out it's a partial thickness tear of my RC. Surgery's set for November 9.

Best thing is to do NO weights until you've had an ortho examine you. Otherwise you might be stupid like me and reinjure and reinjure. That's no way to go through life.

Hope all goes well for you!

the other day i went to bed with no problems, pain or soreness. i woke up the next morning with pain in my middle/front delt. it doesnt hurt when im relaxed but i experience sharp pain when i raise my arm in front of me or out to the side.
    the day before i did chest, shoulders and tris but it went smoothly and i have no reason to beleive i injured it while at the gym. it hasnt gotten any better over the past three days.

this is not the first time this has happened but i always just thought i slept on my arm wrong or something. this time it seems to hurt more and has lasted longer.

has any one else ever woke up with shoulder pain like this?
    is it a sign of rotator cuff injury?
    did i just sleep on my arm wrong?
    seriously...WTF?
    No matter where you go, there you are.

BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm not a doctor, and I don't know what exactly caused the pain...but keep this in mind

when I would sleep with my arms above my head I would wake up randomly to my shoulder dislocating...sometimes both. keep the arms down.

best thing you can do is rest it and go see an ortho
    "Note: this is not "MaskSpace." Masks are fine only if more of your body is shown in the photo (other than just the mask.) Loincloths and/or aboriginal penile sheaths are not permitted."

-BodySpace photo guidelines

elinas will become famous soon enough. (+50) elinas will become famous soon enough. (+50) elinas will become famous soon enough. (+50) elinas will become famous soon enough. (+50) elinas will become famous soon enough. (+50) elinas will become famous soon enough. (+50) elinas will become famous soon enough. (+50) elinas will become famous soon enough. (+50) elinas will become famous soon enough. (+50) elinas will become famous soon enough. (+50) elinas will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    could also be a torn labrum
    “Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”
    -Arnold Schwarzenegger

CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000)
    **** this ****. why is there no warnng anywhere for sleeping with your arms up. i always sleep like that and now i have this **** for like the third time. ****ing hell this way ill never reach that 3plate benchpress . yesterday i felt fine and today suddenly im FUKKED all snapped up.

ive had so amny setbacks everytime
    I lift therefore I Misc

*cant be arsed to have a nice sig since mods delete it every 2 seconds for no reason crew*