MissNfinity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Newbie here with a question

Hi Ladies. I'm new to the forum and I am looking for good suggestions for tricep and bicep workouts not using machines. I am five feet tall and most bicep and tricep machines do not accomodate my shorter arm length. I am using a 6lb body bar at the present time but my arms look weak and small next to the rest of me. I've reviewed some of the exercises by body part listed on the main site but I was wondering if anyone has a favorite that they use or could recommend. I was thinking these two to start with:

Concentration Curls for biceps 5 x 12 at 5 lbs
    Seated Bent-Over One-Arm Dumbbell Triceps Extension 5 x 12 at 5 lbs

SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SheWulf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There's tons of stuff you can do! Just keep researching, perhaps pick up the book called Strength Training Anatomy, i got it at the local book store, definitely worth it. Biceps i like concentration curls, hammer curls, barbell curls, dumbell curls, preacher curls... you can do one arm at a time alternating, or both. I like using dumbells a lot more as opposed to a bar becuase my left arm is a bit weaker, so it really challenges those weak spots.
    Triceps- i like dumbell kickbacks, overhead extensions, overhead rope extensions, etc. Bench dips work real well for me too.
    I love using the cables/pulleys too for both!

But, are you sure you can't adjust the machines to your arm lenth? I had a problem with that when i first entered the gym, but after fiddling with the machines i figured it out.

Originally Posted by FameGirl View Post
    But, are you sure you can't adjust the machines to your arm lenth? I had a problem with that when i first entered the gym, but after fiddling with the machines i figured it out.
    Yeah...I'm sure. They used to have the cybex machines for the triceps and biceps which did go down to my size but the other brand that they replaced it with will not work properly for my arms. I have to stand in the sitting bicep and tricep machine and even then the handles are uncomfortable to reach I am longer in my legs so when I sit in the machines I shrink down to the elbow pad. It goes up to my chin.

TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Heya...

I'd suggest to concentrate firstly and foremostly on big, compound free - weight lifts, such as incline/decline/flat bench press and overhead press (to back and to front) for the triceps. Alternate using dumbbells and barbells and different positions for different workout routines (eg, 1 month - barbell flat bench press + dumbbell overhead press, 2nd month - dumbbell incline bench press + barbell behind the back press, etc.). Don't go above 10 reps on either of these, ideally you'll do 6-8 rep range during a bulk/mass building phase. These will build essential mass and density in your triceps (as well as chest and delts, right?). My arms sucked until I started serious benching and upped my bench from 35 to 55 kg...
    To supplement them, add triceps press downs, and laying/standing EZ bar or barbell skullcrushers, or dumbbell triceps extensions (best choose 1 of these per workout, then alternate position/tool after a while, like with the presses). These are isolation exercises which will additionally build and shape the muscle. I wouldn't suggest going above 10 reps, but 12 if you MUST.
    Forget all other fancy machines...

Same applies to biceps. Mass and density in bis is built by big movements like barbell, EZ bar or cable curls, dumbbell curls, but also various rows - barbell rows, cable rows, T-bar rows, machine rows, dumbbell rows... Like with presses, choose a curl and a row and then alternate tool/position after a month or so. These are mass building exercises. Also, don't go above 10 reps, ideally 6-8.
    To add to this, use some isolations such as alternate dumbbell curls, /alternate/ hammer curls, concentration curls, preacher curls (love those... ). Reps - preferably not above 10, 12 if you MUST.
    Again, forget all those fancy machines...

However, the reason why your arms are small compared to the rest of you, is bf% (if that's your pic). So to really get GOOD results WITH these exercises, add a good, balanced diet... and you'll look great!

Current stats:
    67 kg / 167 cm / 25-27 %bf / 28 yo
    max lifts:
    bb bench press: 7 x 55kg
    lat pulldown: 5 x 60 kg
    squat: 8 x 60 kg

nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The only thing I have to add is dips. Dips are a great way to increase pec and tricep size. If you are unable to do them try bench dips or the assisted dip machine.

Okay well I started doing the concentration curls with the 5 lbs weight x 12 x 5 sets. That worked out fine but my triceps were so weak that I couldn't keep good form with any of the free weight exercises. I've been using this six pound bar for months and pushing it straight out in back of me. I think I probably better strengthen my triceps on the machine first. That wasn't so hard to use as the bicep one. Unless I go lower then 5 lbs on the weight with the triceps at first. I think they have 3 lb weights in the gym.

TurbulentFluid, I have to look up some of what you posted because I am new to weight training. Thanks for the tips.

Registered User preachercurl-NE's Avatar
    preachercurl-NE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) preachercurl-NE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I like doing diamond pushups, with it right under your chest, or put your arms down by your waist with your fingers facing forward, this works your triceps, too.
    Working out hard on pecs and triceps

nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by preachercurl-NE View Post
    I like doing diamond pushups, with it right under your chest, or put your arms down by your waist with your fingers facing forward, this works your triceps, too.
    Pushups are a good exercise (with your feet on a bench or your knees on the ground) if you are not strong enough to do the other tricep exercises. Once you stronger on these you can do them the regular way. If you want to use the machines in the gym a dip machine is a good place to start. Tricep pushdowns (standing directly over the bar with your arms flared) is also a good exercise.

Amelia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amelia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amelia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amelia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amelia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amelia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amelia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amelia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amelia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amelia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amelia will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by FameGirl View Post
    Triceps- i like dumbell kickbacks, overhead extensions, overhead rope extensions, etc. Bench dips work real well for me too.
    I love using the cables/pulleys too for both!
    Bump to the bench dips! Those are a staple in my tricep training and my arms BURN during those!
    A female gamer? No way!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right." - Henry Ford

"It's not about how hard you can hit - it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward - how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." - Rocky Balboa

train hard and smart Outdoor Girl's Avatar
    Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Outdoor Girl has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    None of my arm exercises use the machines, just cables.

Seated or standing curls, concentration curls, preacher bench, reverse curls with straight bar, curls with cable.

Cable pushdown, one arm cable pulldown, lying triceps extensions, kickbacks.

Not sure if this helps. Good luck! My arms have always been weak and frankly I only just recently started liking working them out, mostly because I want them to look good!
    My Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169367373&p=1399499263