Registered User WillWork4Muscle's Avatar
    WillWork4Muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillWork4Muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillWork4Muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillWork4Muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillWork4Muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillWork4Muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillWork4Muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillWork4Muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillWork4Muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillWork4Muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillWork4Muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Scrawny guy diet for mass gain, what do you think?

I weigh 176 pounds and I'm 6'. My goal is maybe 185-190 right now. Pretty low on muscle, my biceps are 11 1/4 and chest 37 3/8 to give you an idea of what I am working with, or without rather.

I am a weightlifting n00b and right now I am working each muscle group once a week with a trainer about an hour a session, 2 sessions a week with him and legs on my own. Also do light cardio about 4 times a week. He set up a diet for me but was lacking from my research, little calories or carbs. Anyway, here goes:

Meal 1:
    -3 whole eggs
    -1 piece of whole wheat grain bread with 1 tbsp smart balance butter
    -1 cup of oatmeal with banana or raisins

Meal 2:
    High calorie (350+) Protein bar or Natural PB sandwich

Meal 3:
    -Chicken breast/fish/or other protein mixed with brown rice or wheat pasta, olive oil, with anything green mixed in, usually peas
    -Some kind of fruit

Meal 4:
    Same as Meal 2

Meal 5:
    Same as meal 3

Meal 6:
    Weight gain drink 630 calories, or add milk if calories short on the day to make it close to 900.

I have been doing about 3500-4000 calories a day with this plan, 200g+ of protein easily each day, as well as 400-500 carbs and I get good fats from olive oil and smart balance butter as well.
    I have been doing this for a few weeks now and it is going well. I eat about every 3 hours. I track everything religiously through "Fitday" program. Just wondering if I am on the right track here. I have tried training before and quit after 1 month, this time I am going all out especially with nutrition.
    THanks

thajeepster is just really nice. (+1000) thajeepster is just really nice. (+1000) thajeepster is just really nice. (+1000) thajeepster is just really nice. (+1000) thajeepster is just really nice. (+1000) thajeepster is just really nice. (+1000) thajeepster is just really nice. (+1000) thajeepster is just really nice. (+1000) thajeepster is just really nice. (+1000) thajeepster is just really nice. (+1000) thajeepster is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by WillWork4Muscle
    I weigh 176 pounds and I'm 6'. My goal is maybe 185-190 right now. Pretty low on muscle, my biceps are 11 1/4 and chest 37 3/8 to give you an idea of what I am working with, or without rather.

I am a weightlifting n00b and right now I am working each muscle group once a week with a trainer about an hour a session, 2 sessions a week with him and legs on my own. Also do light cardio about 4 times a week. He set up a diet for me but was lacking from my research, little calories or carbs. Anyway, here goes:

Meal 1:
    -3 whole eggs
    -1 piece of whole wheat grain bread with 1 tbsp smart balance butter
    -1 cup of oatmeal with banana or raisins

Meal 2:
    High calorie (350+) Protein bar or Natural PB sandwich

Meal 3:
    -Chicken breast/fish/or other protein mixed with brown rice or wheat pasta, olive oil, with anything green mixed in, usually peas
    -Some kind of fruit

Meal 4:
    Same as Meal 2

Meal 5:
    Same as meal 3

Meal 6:
    Weight gain drink 630 calories, or add milk if calories short on the day to make it close to 900.

I have been doing about 3500-4000 calories a day with this plan, 200g+ of protein easily each day, as well as 400-500 carbs and I get good fats from olive oil and smart balance butter as well.
    I have been doing this for a few weeks now and it is going well. I eat about every 3 hours. I track everything religiously through "Fitday" program. Just wondering if I am on the right track here. I have tried training before and quit after 1 month, this time I am going all out especially with nutrition.
    THanks
    sounds good, whats in your "weight gain" drink? When is you workout? Are you including your pre-post wo shakes or meals into your daily cals? Are you even having a post workout shake? Overall looks pretty clean except for the Protein Bars, if they are store bought... id keep them to a minimum, 1 a day isnt going to kill you, but you could do better if you made them yourself... check the forums for some good recipes. Overall youve got the basics down pretty good. Looks like youve done your homework.

dexterium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dexterium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dexterium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dexterium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dexterium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dexterium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dexterium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dexterium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dexterium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dexterium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dexterium is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you want some mass, do these two basic workouts:

Workout A

Squats
    Bench Press
    Bentover Barbell Rows
    Military Press

Workout B

Deadlifts
    Chin Ups
    Triceps Dips
    Close Grip Bench

That will make you put on the mass!

As for the nutrition part, if you still find you're not getting any mass, go to 1.5 g of protein / lb of body weight and then 2 grams of protein / lb of body weight if that fails. Good luck.

Registered User WillWork4Muscle's Avatar
    WillWork4Muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillWork4Muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillWork4Muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillWork4Muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillWork4Muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillWork4Muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillWork4Muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillWork4Muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillWork4Muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillWork4Muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillWork4Muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for replying!
    The weight gain is "Heavyweight gainer 900". Has 630 calories mixed with water, 100 carbs, 35 protein i think and about 35% of most vitamins.
    What I gave you was a foundation for my diet, on lifting days I throw down a regular whey protein shake with a banana before I go as well as a shake after. Just a 20g with water shake. I will look into making my own protien bars, thanks.
    I am working with a personal trainer right now since I have failed to keep it up so many times in the past, this time I want it to stick and to do it right. I have two 1 hour long sessions with him a week focusing on mass so it is all lifting. He switches things up alot as far as the exercises, but we work the typical chest/tri, back/bicep, legs routine. He focuses mainly on my upper body and on a 3rd day may have me hit legs on my own. I also do 20 min cardio after lifting and 30 minutes on offdays.
    Thanks again!